• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - May 20th, "Doom" beta access, new trailer

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Calling it "Doom" instead of straight up "Doom 4", offering beta access (and thus multiplayer), and the word on the street that it's been rebuilt, makes me wonder if they're going for a quick and dirty Doom remake/reboot or something along those lines.

Calling it "Doom" instead of straight up "Doom 4", offering beta access (and thus multiplayer), and the word on the street that it's been rebuilt, makes me wonder if they're going for a quick and dirty Doom remake/reboot or something along those lines.
What I was thinking, has there ever been beta access to a single player game?

Great trailer. Will be mighty interested to see more of this game, especially since it's rather likely to force me to fix my PC. Ugh.

2 minute 46 second "gameplay trailer".

10 seconds worth of content actually resembling anything like gameplay.

Honestly I'd argue that the MP component of DOOM is more well known than DOOM's SP in regards to the PC community, both are good in their own rights tho.

At the same time Carmack's probably not even working on this (I'm actually predicting that Machinegames is doing DOOM 4 with Carmack's blessing.) so your expectations should be lowwwwwwwww
With how pervasive single player wads are to this day, I would very much disagree.

Also, it is wonderful to see that the bad guys are speaking german and not some horribly accented english.

Should make the game more interesting/authentic to the original wolf.

BigDug13

If they're continuing with the feel developed by Doom 3, the game is going to suck. If they're pretending that one didn't exist and they're going to try to replicate the feel of Doom 1 and 2, then they have my attention.

If they're continuing with the feel developed by Doom 3, the game is going to suck. If they're pretending that one didn't exist and they're going to try to replicate the feel of Doom 1 and 2, then they have my attention.

Doom 3 alpha channeled actually a great idea for doom.

Piccoro

New Wolfenstein AND new DOOM! Nice, good times!

I still haven't played the previous Wolfenstein, what is the GAF consensus on that one? I'm tempted to buy it, the PS3 version can be found for pretty cheap these days...

inm8num2

That'll certainly get people interested in Wolfenstein: TNO (not to say people weren't interested otherwise, but this should help).

im very intrigued hearing DOOM 4 exists.

that boxart is nice too. digging the retro art style. glad this game avoids the bad photoshop that so many boxarts succumb to these days.

wolf_tno_finalbox_flat_pcbox.jpg

DrZeus

Mmmm looks good. Made by the former Starbreeze guys right? FPS goodness in 2014 with this Titanfall, and Destiny.

Silky

Banned
I was referring to Doom 4. I already knew that Wolfenstein will be a retro-inspired bomba.

Again I really think Machinegames is the one working on DOOM 4 alongside Id. Doubt that Id. wants to isloate DOOM fans again after 3.

I think Wolfenstein: TNO will do fine sales wise, considering it's releasing at a date alongside a niche JRPG that no one will buy and a Kart game on a system no one will buy.

Actually look at May's lineup, Wolfenstein will be PERFECT for the current gen drought to play.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The sad truth is, if they make an actual Doom 4 with huge-ass maps, color-coded locked doors, tons of secrets and just white knuckle action the whole way...Game will get torn apart in reviews. "Too repetitive, too oldschool, and not varied enough."

So I expect Doom 3....2. And I loved Doom 3, so I'm fine with that.

Skab

I still haven't played the previous Wolfenstein, what is the GAF consensus on that one? I'm tempted to buy it, the PS3 version can be found for pretty cheap these days...

Very underrated and overlooked. I loved it.

That trailer put a smile on my face, I'm glad Wolf still exists in some form.

And it'll be interesting to see what Doom looks like, whenever we do see it.

aeolist

Banned
doom should really focus on co-op (or even left 4 dead style humans vs monsters)

it's the only way i think they could retain anything from the original games and still sell decently

Silky

Banned

Raven Software made an underrated Wolfenstein with some weird design choices but overall it's pretty good.

Dawg

Yea, to be real though, I really don't see this selling that much. Though it's coming in May, might be a perfect time for it.

Yeah, doesn't look like a big seller. Hope they at least get break even though. Definitely picking this up on PS4.

Wow, Doom 4 exists? After Carmack left id, I honestly thought for a while that there was a good chance we might never see it at all (or, at least the version of Doom that id was working on - I'm sure Bethesda wouldn't let the IP stagnate).

That boxart's not too bad. It seems that virtually every new Wolfenstein game effectively is a reboot, seeing as characters that died in the previous game are apparently present in this one, and they rarely, if ever, reference the events of those games.

OneUh8

I had no interest to get this. But that trailer and news of Doom got me excited. Will probably pick this up now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Very much looking forward to this game. May/June is shaping up to be pretty solid this year. Boxart looks hot. Probably buying this day 1 just to show support for single player only FPS.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Mmmm looks good. Made by the former Starbreeze guys right? FPS goodness in 2014 with this Titanfall, and Destiny.

yes Wolfenstein is by Escape from Butcher Bay guys/former key members who left Starbreeze in 2008 (that why Assault on Dark Athena was bad)

Top Bottom