• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - May 20th, "Doom" beta access, new trailer

Corto

What a boring boxart

Here you go.

vrwTee1.png

Hope someone gets it hehe

DSmalls84

Well, apparently a lot of the devs are have backgrounds in other FPS games, including Starbreeze.

Kind of a wait and see game for me. Haven't played Wolfenstein since the Xbox release of RTCW. Story looks campy as expected but the gunplay did look pretty satisfying. lots of gibs.

aeolist

Banned
you guys know carmack didn't really do much game design these days right? i'm sure whatever engine tech he worked on will still be present but his leaving id probably won't affect doom 4's gameplay at all

PRE-ORDER PLACED!

EDIT: "An insert will be included inside your boxed copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order."

PRE-ORDER CANCELLED

EDIT 2: If I do get Wolfenstein, it'll be digitally on Xbox One. Microsoft's forward-thinking console of the future still doesn't allow digital pre-orders or pre-loads.

Silky

Banned
you guys know carmack didn't really do much game design these days right? i'm sure whatever engine tech he worked on will still be present but his leaving id probably won't affect doom 4's gameplay at all

Yep. Which is why expectations for whatever DOOM is going to be should be lowwwww.

This Wolfenstein however, looks pretty hype. Day one since there's nothing else important coming out in May other than Drakengard

Mask

Aw yiss! I've had Wolfenstein on preorder since before the PS4 was released. This is the game that made me purchase the PS4 in the first place, and every Indie, Game, and now this
Beta, has been gravy.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
The more I see this game, the more I get excited for it. It looks to be the FPS that I've been starving for, for a long time.

As for Doom 4, if Doom 3: BFG iz anything to go by, they'll probably endup implementing a matchmaking only way of searching for games, which to me, is a bad thing.

Honestly I'd argue that the MP component of DOOM is more well known than DOOM's SP in regards to the PC community, both are good in their own rights tho.

At the same time Carmack's probably not even working on this (I'm actually predicting that Machinegames is doing DOOM 4 with Carmack's blessing.) so your expectations should be lowwwwwwwww
Actually, yeah, that is an exciting prospect. Still, I hope the multiplayer for Doom 4 won't have what I hope it won't have.

This is the game being made by some of the old Riddick developers, so I'm already down for a preorder. The beta pass is a nice bonus!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No, which is probably part of why they're packing in the Doom beta since historically this has ended fairly badly for FPS game sales in recent years.

I'm expecting The Order 1886 to wind up with an Uncharted beta as well since that won't have MP.

Also, speaking of The Order, I forgot this game was also in 2.40:1

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I could get wolfenstein on PS4 and still have PC beta access to Doom 4, that'd be perfect. I'm assuming the PC beta would be the earliest one

andycapps

I'm expecting The Order 1886 to wind up with an Uncharted beta as well since that won't have MP.

OT but they haven't confirmed it. Naughty Dog didn't talk about multiplayer either prior to TLOU. Wouldn't be shocked if they're following the same model, since they look up to ND so much.

Loudninja

The FPS legend that started it all returns this May! Today we’re excited to announce that Wolfenstein: The New Order will arrive on both PS4 and PS3 on Tuesday, May 20th. And while we’re not talking about the game yet, we’re excited to announce that with a pre-order of Wolfenstein: The New Order, you will be able to access the beta for the next DOOM game (details at Wolfenstein.com/DOOM).

Wolfenstein marks the first Bethesda-published game to arrive on PS4, and will be available on PlayStation Store day 1 for both PS4 & PS3. Developed by MachineGames, a studio comprised of a seasoned group of developers recognized for their work creating story-driven games, Wolfenstein: The New Order is a reimagining of the FPS franchise from id Software. The game offers a deep narrative packed with action, adventure and first-person combat rendered in stunning detail with id Software’s id Tech 5 engine. And typical of a classic Wolfenstein game, expect plenty of hidden secrets, too.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...520-pre-order-for-doom-beta-access/#sf1893412

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Will wait for previews on this but considering there aren't really many games being released for the PS4 this autumn I'll probably get Wolfenstein if it doesn't suck. Please be good... The last one was horrible.

Quentyn

I take it that Doom is cross-gen?

Looking at that platform question in the FAQ it seems like Bethesda is leaving that open for now. It would be bit weird though, if people get the last gen version of Wolfenstein and then don't have access to the Doom beta.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Yeah, both of the idtech5 cross-gen games are. Rage would just halve the horizontal or vertical resolution when it ran into performance issues, but this probably will look better in the long run given it seems to have a variety of performance issues.

With The Order that actually sounds fairly likely as well. They've been pretty clear they're interested in multiplayer for the franchise long term so using something like the Uncharted beta gets them over the first game hump as well.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
No, which is probably part of why they're packing in the Doom beta since historically this has ended fairly badly for FPS game sales in recent years.
For "good" games such as? I can't honestly think of one FPS in recent years that didn't have a shoehorned multiplayer attached.

Top Bottom