• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - May 20th, "Doom" beta access, new trailer

StuBurns

Banned
for some reasons all id-tech 5 games look awful. The Evil Within look like an early PS3 2006~2008 game, megatextures are just bad it seems.

however this is from the original team behind Escape from Butcher Bay (which is pretty fantastic SP game) so it can be something cool.
I have hopes for the game, certainly. A single player only FPS is rare enough that it's noteworthy for that alone.
How long?
Edit: My old buddy StuBurns is back too? Craziness.
Couldn't leave you to run wild when UC's revealed, could I?

m00h

Banned
That new trailer looks really cool, and I would get the new Wolfenstein either way. I hope to fulfill my nostalgia-needs, since RtCW was and is still one of my favourite FPS.

border

Is it me or have they removed any and all traces of Nazi imagery and iconography? It looks like even the swastika armbands are gone.

Would you even know that you are fighting Nazis if you weren't specifically told so? It looks like Killzone at this point, almost.

I wish they would have given everything a 1960's style -- like how Bioshock's worlds look old but still contain lots of sci-fi stuff.

Nzyme32

Is it me or have they removed any and all traces of Nazi imagery and iconography? It looks like even the swastika armbands are gone.

Would you even know that you are fighting Nazis if you weren't specifically told so? It looks like Killzone at this point, almost.

I wish they would have given everything a 1960's style -- like how Bioshock's worlds look old but still contain lots of sci-fi stuff.

Them saying nazi's throughout the trailer wasn't enough for you?

This looks stupid........-ly awesome!

Also does it seem like they pasted Lt. Aldo Raine's (Inglorious Basterds) speech pattern onto BJ's during that interrogation scene?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Looks decent enough. I loved the last one with the excessive amount of supernatural stuff.

Is it me, or does it look like you're 4 inches tall in first person mode?

Does Bethesda ever show their big stuff/anything at E3? reveal at QuakeCon (july this year) is more likely.

If anything, Bethesda will probably carve out a "Bethesda Days" thing for the press, since they have enough games for this year to show and get complete attention in the media. Hasn't QuakeCon become a shadow of its former self these past years?

A little confused. It says preorder to get in the doom beta. Does that mean I actually have to buy the game or just get a preorder code?

Well, the beta code will be in the box, but they probably intend to publish only a limited number with the beta insert, hence the encouragement to pre-order.

Anyway, I'm sure Wolfenstein will be solid, but I have little interest in the series so probably won't check it out unless reviews are amazing. I find it pretty odd how they're focusing more on this Doom beta than they are on actual Wolfenstein itself.

I think if they manage their Doom reboot and make it a success we might then see Quake, but if Doom fail I doubt Zenimax will bother with Id software old ips.

Surely you're joking, right?

Zenimax won't leave the id IPs behind. More likely they'll just hand them other to another developer, much like this game, which despite being based on and id IP, is being developed by Machine Games (seeing as id's main problem in the past decade or so has been releasing games in any kind of consistent timeframe).

The trailer definitely got me interested in this. Hopefully it's silly and challenging.

Had to rewind the video after it showed the DOOM logo to make sure I wasn't dying.

Trailer looked way to over dramatic when the game looks like dumb crazy arcade fun. Its trying hard to sell something it doesn't looks like its being so far

Levyne

Banned
Caroline Becker was in Raven's 2009 Wolfenstein game
but she died, so I have no idea what she's doing here.
The rest are new, I believe.

Oh interesting. I've played that but have no memory of it. I may need to refresh myself, haha.

The official site took off the character bios that they had for BJ, Oliwa, and Frau whatever her name was so maybe that are updating them

The franchise has never really been big on narrative consistency (none of id's games have been, really), so I wouldn't put too much thought into it...

d00d3n

Great to finally have a release date for Wolfenstein. This is easily one of the most anticipated titles for me in 2014. Most of the trailers until this point have been a bit heavy on the explosions for my taste, but I have faith that the game will have strong adventure/exploration gameplay as well. A confirmation that they use a hub based progression system would be nice, but it seems more likely that they will continue to release these dudebro type trailers.

So... boxed copies only have the beta? What's the point of me preordering on Steam then :/

I mean I want the game anyway but no Doom beta for digital buyers, wtf?

Skab

Need to see some multiplayer details. This isn't a game I would even bother with the single player.

To quote Silky

>It has no online play.
>It has a weapon wheel.
>It has health pickups (very limited health regen.)
>Non-linear map design.
>From the gameplay I've seen it doesn't even have ADS

Hell it has dual-wielding for god's sake. It's not a CoD clone. There's info on the game out, it's not like it's scarce to find what the game is about.

Also SP only.

Ok that was a really nice trailer, I'm a lot more sold on Wolfie now.

Anyone know what that font they used to show the dates and stuff was?

Naminator

Banned
Wolfenstein: The New Order - May 20th, "Doom" beta access
hl1u.jpg

Arooguy

So I can't play the DOOM beta if I get a digital copy of Wolfenstein? I'm starting to regret going all digital. Anyway, I hope DOOM returns to its roots as a fast paced shooter with some sick metal tracks.

Top Bottom