• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - May 20th, "Doom" beta access, new trailer

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, both of the idtech5 cross-gen games are. Rage would just halve the horizontal or vertical resolution when it ran into performance issues, but this probably will look better in the long run given it seems to have a variety of performance issues.

With The Order that actually sounds fairly likely as well. They've been pretty clear they're interested in multiplayer for the franchise long term so using something like the Uncharted beta gets them over the first game hump as well.

I knew Evil Within was but I forgot about it for this game. I don't remember the PS4 gamplay footage having the bars when it was shown off at events. Probably just didn't notice.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For "good" games such as? I can't honestly think of one FPS in recent years that didn't have a shoehorned multiplayer attached.

Well, Irrational did just get shut down and BioShock didn't touch Borderlands 2's sales despite having a higher critical reception and budget.

It's certainly not impossible to sell without MP, just harder since you can borrow a friend's copy instead of buying another to play with them.

Skab

So I guess we should be expecting Doom news in the near future?

Kind of anxious to see it now.

Also I think I might load up RTCW and give it a play through. It's been a very long time.

UnrealEck

Me too. Well to be specific I am craving for RTCW Enemy Territory 2. The games Splash Damage did after that just didn't live up to it.

I thought Wolf ET was one of the best multiplayer FPSes in history. It built on RTCW MP and added to it. It was still the same gameplay engine driving it.

aeolist

Banned
I'm hoping they actually pull something off with Extraction since it looks more promising than Brink.

they've been trying and utterly failing to reproduce the success they had with wolfET ever since it came out

hope springs eternal but i'm not optimistic

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Well, Irrational did just get shut down and BioShock didn't touch Borderlands 2's sales despite having a higher critical reception and budget.
BioShock and Borderlands are like totally different. And BioShock 2 did actually get a MP, which didn't help it to not bomb. That is probably the reason why they didn't bother for a MP in Infinite.
So I'd say you argument is a bit far fetched.

Here you go.

vrwTee1.png

Hope someone gets it hehe

genius. love that album.

29537-yesrudy1gif-mEXZ.gif

Spades

I’VE JUST PRE-ORDERED WOLFENSTEIN, WHERE’S MY DOOM BETA KEY?
An insert will be included inside your boxed copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order. This insert will include a key code along with code redemption instructions. Once the key code is redeemed, you’ll be registered to participate in the DOOM beta once it begins. Check back at wolfenstein.com/doom for updated information.

Surely this will mean that every "day one" copy of the game will have a beta key inside? I can't see them creating a separate batch just for pre-orders.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
OT but they haven't confirmed it. Naughty Dog didn't talk about multiplayer either prior to TLOU. Wouldn't be shocked if they're following the same model, since they look up to ND so much.

Do you mean this?

VG247 said:
Galahad being part of a four-man squad, it might seem from the outside looking in that multiplayer would be a perfect and comfortable fit for The Order – but Weerasurya sees it differently, although tellingly stopped short of ruling it out entirely.

“We discussed [multiplayer] very early on when we first started working on it. The reality of it, though, is that to achieve what we want and deliver the message we aim to deliver, especially with this being a new IP, we always felt like it would be great in multiplayer but that we weren’t sure it was the right way to introduce an IP.

“The driving force of this game specifically was to put the IP first. That, and the single-player story has to trump everything else and we didn’t want the team to be split between two things, because it really does take a whole team to do a great single player game and another to do multiplayer.”

Whatever the case, Ready At Dawn refused to properly discuss multiplayer. Whether that’s because they do want to make sure we understand this ‘new IP’ before talking about it, or because they’re not sure if they’re going to have time to implement it, remains to be seen.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/18/the-order-1886-the-new-ps4-exclusive-with-a-lot-to-prove/

Some of their comments do seem more wishy washy than others, but it's not quite straight hint dropping level judging by things like their tweets.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BioShock and Borderlands are like totally different. And BioShock 2 did actually get a MP, which didn't help it to not bomb. That is probably the reason why they didn't bother for a MP in Infinite.
So I'd say you argument is a bit far fetched.

I didn't say crappy MP helped sales!

Similarly I think it's harder to sell an MP only game than one with both SP and MP when it actually costs money up front. You're just ultimately hitting a smaller potential audience if we assumed both modes were incredible.

Dunkers92

That trailer was excellent. Looking forward to it.

They may have a lot of May all to themselves which might help it sell. Hope it does, each time I've seen it I have liked the look of the game a lot

StuBurns

Banned
Is the game actually in scope?

It looks horrible graphically.

Looking forward to seeing Doom though, that big leak had a really cool Half-Life vibe, I hope it's retained that.

DieH@rd

Banned
Im actually more interested in this new Wolfenstein than in Doom.

Chronicles of Riddick devs making singleplayer-only charachter-heavy game > iD Software shootfest, at least until iD proves that what they are making will not flop. MP beta for new Doom is not filling me with joy.

But, fuck yeah to Wolfenstein! I will play that for sure. NAZI SCUM!!!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I didn't say crappy MP helped sales!

Similarly I think it's harder to sell an MP only game than one with both SP and MP when it actually costs money up front. You're just ultimately hitting a smaller potential audience if we assumed both modes were incredible.
True, but that is not really what I meant. All I'm arguing about is you saying that not having an MP didn't bode well for FPS in the past, which is not really true imo. Simply because there weren't many MP-less FPS in the past generation. Even BioShock IMO doesn't hold well for the argument because a game can hardly be called a flop when Take 2 finances 2 sequels for it, no?

I think Wolfenstein can do just fine it is a good game an has enough replay value so people don't immediately sell it once they completed it and so force the retail prices to plummet.

Elginer

Fuck yes! I am so hyped for this, Machinegames are made from some of the best ex-Starbreeze dudes and the director is the man behind that some of the best of The Darkness. This is going to be great.

DryvBy

The box looked better before, I thought. I hate box art that just has the typical guy holding a gun. Looks generic.

But I've had this pre-ordered forever. I love this series.

Anteater

the hell? I was reading the thread title wrong and thought it's wolfenstein beta, then I was thinking it's a SP game.

There's a new Doom game?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Looking forward to seeing Doom though, that big leak had a really cool Half-Life vibe, I hope it's retained that.

for some reasons all id-tech 5 games look awful. The Evil Within look like an early PS3 2006~2008 game, megatextures are just bad it seems.

however this is from the original team behind Escape from Butcher Bay (which is pretty fantastic SP game) so it can be something cool.

DieH@rd

Banned
For those who did not paid attention to the older Wolfenstein news, devs mentioned in interviews that the SP campaign of the game will last between 14 and 20 hours. :)

Yisss.

Visuals actually looked good in previous gameplay demos, this one didn't particularly do it any favors.

Wait....Doom is still happening?

Awesome trailer. I'm really curious how this game turns out. It looks like it could be a good mix of old school and modern shooters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
True, but that is not really what I meant. All I'm arguing about is you saying that not having an MP didn't bode well for FPS in the past, which is not really true imo. Simply because there weren't many MP-less FPS in the past generation. Even BioShock IMO doesn't hold well for the argument because a game can hardly be called a flop when Take 2 finances 2 sequels for it, no?

I think Wolfenstein can do just fine it is a good game an has enough replay value so people don't immediately sell it once they completed it and so force the retail prices to plummet.

That's fair. I'm pessimistic on the game's sales potential, but I don't have any great evidence in terms of highly rated FPS games without MP to back it up.

ugh, terrible. I been craving a RTCW 2 since...well, since RTCW

Same here.
RTCW was just amazing (played it on Xbox1).
I think it was the first class-based FPS I ever played?
Beach Assault was so damn fun; calling in airstrikes, flamethrowers on the front bunkers, ("Let 'em burn!!), using the mounted machine gun on the beach invaders, etc.
Just epic.

Philthy

beta access for a singleplayer game? Or does Doom4 come with a Multiplayer? If it´s a Multiplayer Beta from Doom4, it´s a smart move. Some Doom fans will buy it and a game that previously had no Multiplayer has now one, even if it´s a totally different game xD

But Doom without Carmack ;(

Huh? Doom was popular because of the multiplayer. People were literally crashing their LANs during work hours because everyone was playing it against each other instead of working. It was a pretty big news thing at the time.

Wow that trailer rekindled my interest in this game. Would have just picked it up after release but will pre order for the DOOM beta. Please don't pull a Duke Nukem Forever.

Spaghetti

for a gameplay trailer that sure was a lot of cutscenes

looks entertaining enough though, i love me some pulpy retro future and killin' nazis

Artea

Banned
How is this a gameplay trailer? It showed mostly cutscenes with about 10 seconds of gameplay thrown in. And it looks like shit. Shit that takes itself way too seriously.

Dawg

Eh I thought that build was alright. Hope they used the extra time well.

This trailer was pretty cool though.

Well, I'm a huge fan of the Riddick game a large part of this team made. And I felt them being on this team really showed when I played the build. I really digged the combination of regen and healthpacks they used for the health system. And dual wielding guns really felt good to me.

I'm just aching for a good Nazi shooter and I love the design of the Nazis in this one. Preview wasn't that long though, so I'm really interested in the full thing.

I'm hoping they actually pull something off with Extraction since it looks more promising than Brink.

Extraction looks more promising than Brink turned out or more promising than Brink looked pre-release? Because Brink looked amazing before it actually released.

Extraction looks more promising than Brink turned out or more promising than Brink looked pre-release? Because Brink looked amazing before it actually released.

Very true. Brink actually looks graphically and gameplay-wise better in its first preview, than it looked when it released.

I still have no idea how that happened.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
That's cool and all, but what about a new Quake?

Quake beta with Prey 2 disc maybe...

I think if they manage their Doom reboot and make it a success we might then see Quake, but if Doom fail I doubt Zenimax will bother with Id software old ips.

Top Bottom