• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman complains about a Transgender woman using the woman's locker room of the gym

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am honestly wondering: do we have an obligation to validate other people's conceptions of their identity, and if so, why?

I guess we sort of need to define our terms, here.

First, what do you mean by "obligated"? Obviously, you're not obligated to do so in the legal sense. If you mean, "Will people think I'm an asshole if I don't?" then...kinda, yeah, depending on the context?

Secondly, what do you mean by "validate"? If we're talking about stuff like, say, treating trans women like women and trans men like men...well, then see above under the "Will people think I'm an asshole if I don't?" question.

Jenov

We should just get rid of the separation of sexes in bathrooms and gym lockers. Naked women are always welcome in the men's locker room.

So yep, women should allow naked men in their locker room.

Actually, there should just be 1 locker room, and you just go for it baby!

Jonnax

We should just get rid of the separation of sexes in bathrooms and gym lockers. Naked women are always welcome in the men's locker room.

......? My local pool has a unisex changing room. There's private stalls for people to get changed in. I don't see what the issue is really.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

It worked fine in starship troopers.

I feel so conflicted on the issue. I'm a very firm believer of "Whoever dies the most progressive, wins", therefore I'm always thinking "I should always assume I'm wrong and listen to everyone who wants their voice heard". If trans-people wants to feel happy by being treated the way they want, I don't want to stand in their way and say "Traditions and hubububu". It's a stupid way of thinking, "Things should be the way they are" when people are suffering from the way things are.

But, on the other hand, if a girl came into my locker-room, which does not have stalls, I would probably react really odd.

I don't think for a second that person is a "perv", but I've never had any first-hand experiences with trans-people.

It's an exciting concept for me, to question gender and sex and break it down and then rebuild it to include and nourish everyone.

Replicant

I seriously don't get the "what if men pretend to be women!" crowd.

I don't get it either. If you say this shit, you either:

1. A perverted loser
2. Never been to a gym so not aware of how things work there
3. Doesn't understand the psyche of men who go to gym

Most men who regularly go to a gym are focused on one thing: themselves. They also usually tend to be proud of their masculinity so the likelihood that they'll want to pretend to be a woman to perve on girls in female changing room is SLIM to NONE. And it's not like most of them have difficulty attracting the attention of the opposite sex to the point they have to resort doing pathetic shit like that.

Also, I have seen instances where some girls think they can go to the weight area wearing something skimpy to attract guys' attention only to be disappointed because none of the guys even give them a look. So surprise! Most guys can actually control their impulses and not become a horny buck upon seeing a female in the midst.

The business can do what they want but from my point of view if you have a dick you shouldn't be using the female facilities.
Thai saga in and again..
No offense, i may be too old fashioned, but..
We have man locker and woman locker for a reason..
I don't mind trans frankly but if we want to avide by the usual gym policy i'd say we should have man, woman, trans locker..
No this is not about segregation, this is about keeping a consistent approach..
Imho..

I feel so conflicted on the issue. I'm a very firm believer of "Whoever dies the most progressive, wins", therefore I'm always thinking "I should always assume I'm wrong and listen to everyone who wants their voice heard". If trans-people wants to feel happy by being treated the way they want, I don't want to stand in their way and say "Traditions and hubububu". It's a stupid way of thinking, "Things should be the way they are" when people are suffering from the way things are.

But, on the other hand, if a girl came into my locker-room, which does not have stalls, I would probably react really odd.

I don't think for a second that person is a "perv", but I've never had any first-hand experiences with trans-people.

It's an exciting concept for me, to question gender and sex and break it down and then rebuild it to include and nourish everyone.

But you would also react odd when a person that is dressed like a girl and looks like one dresses in your locker-room, even when she has a penis.

Both situations are not optimal.

ICKE

Banned
This opens a door to all sorts of uncomfortable situations if it is expanded to other places like swimming facilities and what have you. For example young girls might be exposed inside a female locker room just, because we have to accommodate people who have gender issues. Obviously we should try to understand these differences but I just wouldn't like to be a guardian in that scenario.

People who made this decision have good intentions and it must be hard to live in our society as a transgendered person, but the reality is that this might hurt them businesswise.

But you would also react odd when a person that is dressed like a girl and looks like one dresses in your locker-room, even when she has a penis.

Not really, I find women's clothing a lot more interesting and unique. I've several times played with the thought of riding the line of cross-dressing because I feel so limited when it comes to clothing as a "straight up dude".

Whenever I see a dude wearing women's clothes, my reaction is "Nice, more power to you".

Not really, I find women's clothing a lot more interesting and unique. I've several times played with the thought of riding the line of cross-dressing because I feel so limited when it comes to clothing as a "straight up dude".

Whenever I see a dude wearing women's clothes, my reaction is "Nice, more power to you".

That's only clothing, but good for you reacting like that. It can be much more than clothing though.

But I have my doubts most men would react the same way.

theJohann

I guess we sort of need to define our terms, here.

First, what do you mean by "obligated"? Obviously, you're not obligated to do so in the legal sense. If you mean, "Will people think I'm an asshole if I don't?" then...kinda, yeah, depending on the context?

Secondly, what do you mean by "validate"? If we're talking about stuff like, say, treating trans women like women and trans men like men...well, then see above under the "Will people think I'm an asshole if I don't?" question.
By obligated, I simply meant to ask whether a compelling enough justification exists. For example, I do not find it compelling that I should base my moral philosophy on what other people think of me. It's one of the factors, undoubtedly, but I do not find it strong enough to stand alone. Many people would think me a perfectly fine person if I exhibited sexist, racist, homophobic, and transphobic behaviour or attitudes; only in certain areas (mainly Western countries) and with certain people (progressive or liberal people, for example) am I likely to be met with censure.

By validate, I meant to accommodate their desires – to the extent that they feel sufficient – in regards to their identity. I think I am generally fine with society accommodating the wishes of transgender people, because there will be detrimental physiological consequences for them if we did not. However, my question was regarding all forms of identity, which in my experience is a wholly fluid and artificial concept that cannot be practically upheld in all situations.
Nothing in life is obligated, which is why it's all the more special when we can meet eye to eye
That is interesting insight. Thank you.

Platy

Can't we just have transgender locker rooms? Quick someone create a logo!

Trans women are too much a minority to financially justify a separate locker.

BUT this thread proves that a single separate transphobic bathroom IS financially viable =P
Cis men and cis women would be free to go there and not see a trans men or trans women

YoungFa

BUT this thread proves that a single separate transphobic bathroom IS financially viable =P
Cis men and cis women would be free to go there and not see a trans men or trans women

Are women who don't want to see men in their bathroom androphobic?

Platy

Are women who don't want to see men in their bathroom androphobic?

If you just don't want to see men you go to the female bathroom.

If you don't want to see trans woman you go to the transphobic bathroom.

But if a transphobic cis male is there you can choose who you get your chances, with a bearded muscled dude in a wifebeater shirt, or a long haired lasered trans women in a dress.

Never thought of different bathroom as a way of separating genders. Always felt that they were used to separate sex. I mean, one side penis other side vaginas. Personally I wouldn't mind if a trans man was naked in front of me(probably would be awkward). Asked my gf, she said she wouldn't feel safe if the person still had a dick, especially considering the possibility of being a homossexual trans woman. She has no problem with using the same bathroom with lesbians or operated trans women though.

PS: I was talking about bathroom situations where people are naked in front of each other.
Would your gf really feel that unsafe after getting to know that she was transgender and after thinking how hard it would be for that woman to be there anyway (you can read some of the posts in this thread if it helps you/your gf understand it - most likely she wouldn't even be naked if she could avoid it at all)? Would she go as far as to tell her to get out of there? Would she talk behind her back to the company and other women there?

Also, there's a possibility that any woman in the same room is a lesbian. Any woman can check her out and theoretically, be a threat. I can understand that a woman with a dick might make a woman feel different in this regard, but once you're aware that she is a woman too, you should at least strive to realize that it's an irrational fear.

This opens a door to all sorts of uncomfortable situations if it is expanded to other places like swimming facilities and what have you. For example young girls might be exposed inside a female locker room just, because we have to accommodate people who have gender issues. Obviously we should try to understand these differences but I just wouldn't like to be a guardian in that scenario.

People who made this decision have good intentions and it must be hard to live in our society as a transgendered person, but the reality is that this might hurt them businesswise.
What all kinds of uncomfortable situations? Young girls being exposed to dicks? Would seeing a person who looks otherwise like a buff dude but has a vagina, be better then?

Or how about we teach our kids that people are different?

And also, I don't know if you're American or not, but in a lot of countries (of course, in America too in most families I'd say), kids actually bathe with their families, including the parent of opposite sex. So yeah, little girls see dicks. Sometimes kids are even taken into a public bathe house with the parent of the opposite sex. In that situation, a little girl sees a lot of dicks.

As for the business part, I'd guess that most people were bothered by the woman complaining to them about the transgendered woman, since the personnel got to know about it.

I have never been one to jump on the GAF proclivity for using the term, "false equivalence," but I believe this just might be one. Not that it even needs mentioning ... many of the 'retorts' in this thread have resorted to absurdity and exaggeration to equate reasonable viewpoints with prudishness and/or bigotry.

Time for a mea culpa, as I did not notice this when I originally read the OP (not thoroughly, or else I would have seen it). Thanks to Replicant on the previous page for pointing it out. Given that there are private changing stalls, I do not see a problem with Planet Fitness' policy. I mentioned earlier in the thread that until/unless they had appropriate accommodation for all customers, it should be penises go to that room, vaginas go to that room. But if there are private changing stalls available, that accommodation is present. Doesn't address showers, but I'm not sure if that gym chain has shower facilities. (?)

So, my bad for missing that. To me a 'locker room' means an open communal shower room, totally open floor area where you walk buck naked from the shower back to your locker and then towel off. (That's how it worked when I had gym class in the late 70's and early 80's - that's the world I grew up in. I've been told now that doesn't happen in schools much anymore, and pretty much doesn't happen at commercial gyms.) So again, I probably misinterpreted the situation.
Sorry quoting several pages back, but I feel your point didn't get responsed enough (you realising the OP covered that point in another way, didn't help with this point).

Prophet Steve (I think it was) actually replied to you about this, but you ignored that post completely. If it was a penis/vagina based, then how about girls seeing buff male looking people who have a vagina, for example? Would it somehow be "better" than seeing a woman with a dick?

Question, did the transgender woman in the story actually have surgery and all that? Or was it literally just a guy with a wig and whatnot?
Another quote a few pages back, but you didn't get a single reply.

Anyway, that's completely, utterly, irrelevant in this case. The reasons are in the OP, and have been talked through many times in the thread, but in case you missed them:
1. The person was informed that the transgender person identified as a woman. So it wasn't just a reaction that she felt uncomfortable (which would've been fine).
2. The gym had private stalls. The transgender woman wasn't showing anything if that's your concern.

I'm not even completely sure what you mean with "literally just a guy with a wig and whatnot".

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why are there gender-specific changing rooms?

YoungFa

If you just don't want to see men you go to the female bathroom.

If you don't want to see trans woman you go to the transphobic bathroom.

But if a transphobic cis male is there you can choose who you get your chances, with a bearded muscled dude in a wifebeater shirt, or a long haired lasered trans women in a dress.

But it says women's bathroom, not "no-men" bahtroom. The idea isn't that everyone is welcome but men, it is that it is a place only for women. That most locations only provide bathrooms exclusivesly to men, women and/or handicapped people sucks for those who dont fit in any of these categories.

Platy

But it says women's bathroom, not "no-men" bahtroom. The idea isn't that everyone is welcome but men, it is that it is a place only for women. That most locations only provide bathrooms exclusivesly to men, women and/or handicapped people sucks for those who dont fit in any of these categories.

It says women's bathroom.
If you are a women, cis or trans, you go there.
If you think trans women are men, than you go to the transphobic bathroom with other transphobic cis men and cis women

It is REALLY simple.

Beth Cyra

So are you trying say that Transwomen don't "fit" these one of those descriptions? Because if so, leading science experts in health both physical and Mental say otherwise, so Trans fit very nice in the women Catagorery (or Men for Transmen) and not some Other.

Keri

Also, there's a possibility that any woman in the same room is a lesbian. Any woman can check her out and theoretically, be a threat. I can understand that a woman with a dick might make a woman feel different in this regard, but once you're aware that she is a woman too, you should at least strive to realize that it's an irrational fear.

Please don't refer to women's fear of sexual assault and rape as irrational. Also, the amount of women who have been raped by lesbians, is not statistically comparable to the amount of women who have suffered rape or sexual assault, at the hands of a man. It is perfectly rational to be more afraid of someone with a penis.

Platy

Please don't refer to women's fear of sexual assault and rape as irrational. Also, the amount of women who have been raped by lesbians, is not statistically comparable to the amount of women who have suffered rape or sexual assault, at the hands of a man. It is perfectly rational to be more afraid of someone with a penis.

Also, the amount of women who have been raped by lesbians, is not statistically comparable to the amount of women who have suffered rape or sexual assault, at the hands of A MAN. It is perfectly rational to be more afraid of A MAN

Also, the amount of women who have been raped by lesbians, is not statistically comparable to the amount of women who have suffered rape or sexual assault, at the hands of A MAN. It is perfectly rational to be more afraid of A MAN

Devoid of adequate context or foreknowledge, it's perfectly rational to assume a person with a male body is a man.

Keri

Unfortunately, it isn't always possible to distinguish trans women from men. Especially in the context of a locker room, where it may just be a naked body with a penis. Which is why the presence of trans women in women's locker rooms, is likely to cause a lot of (rational) fear and confusion.

Beth Cyra

Unfortunately, it isn't always possible to distinguish trans women from men. Especially in the context of a locker room, where it may just be a naked body with a penis. Which is why the presence of trans women in women's locker rooms, is likely to cause a lot of (rational) fear and confusion.

LOT is a very loose term because you are very unlikely to have very few Transwoen show their penis. Again this is something the majority of Transwomen will avoid at all cost because they hate it at all.

Granted their could be other signifiers, but at the same time it shouldn't be the groin area at least affording for a question to be asked and explanation given.

Platy

It has already been said that it is a heavy monitored place. So if the guard didn't had problem with a person dressed like a woman entering, neither should you.
You can see sun marks for bras and panties, female clothing nearby ... and pretty sure someone mentioned the bathing places are closed

Also,
aIW4Ia8.jpg

That gym is fairly busy from what I've seen and it's in the busiest part of Midland, it's a rather "red" county so I won't be surprised if that woman gets a fair bit of support and some idiots protest her getting kicked out.

draetenth

For the initial insecurity, no. For continuing on about it once it was explained, yes. Being taken aback, or even frightened when you don't understand the situation Is one thing, but fully understanding the situation and deciding you don't care is a completely different thing.

Yeah, I think this sums up my thoughts. I can understand the initial reaction, but she went to far afterwards.

I do wonder if she was kicked out because she annoyed someone else who finally complained about it...

Eric C

To the people that are uncomfortable with Trans women being in a women's bath room / locker room.

Some people seem to be advocating that, bath rooms should be based strictly on genitals.

Would your REALLY HONESTLY be more comfortable with trans men being forced to use the women's bath room?

Hdj9smI.png

ipqQ0Rf.jpg

Xcigdfd.jpg

Surely, this will make everyone 100% comfortable. No penises in the women's bath rooms. No vaginas in the men's rooms. Now women can feel safe in the women's bath room, knowing a penis will never enter that room.

bms2993

Banned
Told my parents about this article. Mother was thinking that she should not have been banned. I thought differently.

Baki

It would be good to have a gender neutral environment. But you are right, it's too expensive and not enough demand.

To the people that are uncomfortable with Trans women being in a women's bath room / locker room.

Some people seem to be advocating that, bath rooms should be based strictly on genitals.

Would your REALLY HONESTLY be more comfortable with trans men being forced to use the women's bath room?

Surely, this will make everyone 100% comfortable. No penises in the women's bath rooms. No vaginas in the men's rooms. Now women can feel safe in the women's bath room, knowing a penis will never enter that room.

PERFECTION.gif

And if there are children at the gym, fuck them too?

I guess I'm crazy to think I should expect that my daughter will not be exposed to a grown man's cock when she goes in the ladies' locker room? (She's 11)

It's simple. The business needs to accommodate their customers better with appropriate facilities, rather than tell their offended customers that they're bigoted and it's their problem. Until proper facilities are in place, penis goes in that door, vagina goes in that door.

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN??? I'll use my children as a crutch for my sexism/racism/bigotry

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

So instead you want to base it on appearances? Who determines what is too masculine/feminine of an appearance to use a locker room?

What about, for example, a MTF transgender person who still looks completely like a man in most people's eyes and still has male genitalia. Going by your argument, that person should be denied access to the women's bathroom. That was probably the thinking of the lady who got banned from Planet Fitness, too. It's probably the thinking of a lot of people. Then we come right back to restricting by genitalia.

YoungFa

So are you trying say that Transwomen don't "fit" these one of those descriptions? Because if so, leading science experts in health both physical and Mental say otherwise, so Trans fit very nice in the women Catagorery (or Men for Transmen) and not some Other.

Were talking about bathrooms, not the state of mind of transgender people. It is not categorized by the gender a person identifies with but by perceived gender.
The conflict in the OP occured due to the difference in gender identification and gender perception. A transwoman obviously fits in the category of a woman in terms of self identification, but not necesserly in terms of perception.
Categorization is part of human nature. And most people have people categorized in two genders. Male and female. And we associate certain features with each gender.
Now entering a bathroom with the expactation that it is only used by women, seeing a person who you perceive to be a man can put someones mind at odds. There are two options: A - the person is not a woman and therefore doesn't belong in this room. Or B - the person is actually a woman but the features associated with gender, everything learned about man and women during lifetime have been wrong.
Now A is obviously the more easy going option as it involves no reorganization of the mind in regards of gender attributes. Option B while more inclusive and world open, is also the less likely option to be choosen. Thats just how the minds works.

The solution to this would be proper gender education at early age. Currently this isn't happing. You can't expect people to think vastly different from on day to another - because that's not going to happen. But if you want to create a better situation for trans people, labeling and shaming the uneducated is definetively not helping your cause. It doesn't do any good. It is an attempt to put ones own moral high ground on display, which chokes any effort of an obviously needed discussion on that matter.

ICKE

Banned
What all kinds of uncomfortable situations? Young girls being exposed to dicks? Would seeing a person who looks otherwise like a buff dude but has a vagina, be better then?

Or how about we teach our kids that people are different?

And also, I don't know if you're American or not, but in a lot of countries (of course, in America too in most families I'd say), kids actually bathe with their families, including the parent of opposite sex. So yeah, little girls see dicks. Sometimes kids are even taken into a public bathe house with the parent of the opposite sex. In that situation, a little girl sees a lot of dicks.

I simply would not be want be in that position as a guardian. There are shady individuals out there and I don't want to give unknown people access to these areas where young girls are naked and potentially vulnerable - even if the result is negative for a tiny minority in our society. I don't know what their intentions might be, it's all guesswork and some sign with a "Don't question anyone's intentions, they know better" is not exactly going to convince parents otherwise. You can make the argument that females can be predators as well but the likelihood is significantly lower.

The dynamic is somewhat different if we are only talking about gyms for adults though.

Sanpunkan

I don't quite get why people are so uncomfortable with a trans person changing in their locker room. What is it about the bits between people's legs that changes how you react to them? It's like saying you can't change because there's a fat guy changing and that makes you uncomfortable.

Despite it never happening, though, it sure does serve as the justification for a lot of bullshit. There's a bill under consideration in Florida right now that would make it a crime for trans people to use the restroom matching their gender. Why? Because of these hypothetical bathroom predators that are apparently all over the place, despite a stunning lack of actual evidence.

It. Doesn't. Happen. It's a scare tactic used to demonize trans people and even further associate them with rapists, pedophiles, and other predators and to imply that there is something "deceptive" about their identities. It's gross and bigoted and utterly without justification.

I've been paying attention to this bill and it scares me a lot. I feel like this could be extended to gays as well, because a gay man/woman is obviously having the time of their life in the bathroom/locker room.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What is it about the bits between people's legs that changes how you react to them?

You're going to have a lot of trouble if you're really advocating for people to never make judgments or change their behavior based on other people's appearances.

I love it!

What's more important when considering if someone is "qualified" to use a bathroom designated for a certain gender/sex: someone's anatomy, or someone's psychology & physiology? Studies have shown trans people's brains are more similar to the sex they identify with than the sex they were assigned at birth. It's not just something they choose one day, a trans person's entire subjective experience is similar to non-trans people's of their identified gender; gender dysphoria is the phenomenon of being alarmed and disturbed that your body doesn't match what your brain expects it to be. Further, trans people often (usually?) are on hormone replacement therapy that aligns with the gender they identify with (trans women block the testosterone in their body and supplement estrogen, trans men supplement testosterone). Trans women are usually estrogen-based humans, so their sexuality is like most other women's; trans men are usually testosterone-based humans, so their sexuality is like most other men's. A trans woman with a penis on estrogen therapy doesn't wake up with morning wood & think about sex the way most dudes do. I don't want to get too graphic, but a vulva (typical female anatomy) attached to a person on testosterone therapy acts way more like a guy's junk than a lady's bits.

Are you going to ask Bailey Jay to use the men's room because of what she's packing? Are you going to ask Buck Angel to use the ladies' room because of what's between his legs? (Warning, if you Google these names you will almost certainly find sexually explicit images of beautiful people. Trans men and women are way more than what they look like, but these two people are traditionally beautiful in their identified gender and thus accessible to people who are focused on appearances.)

ICKE

Banned
I just don't believe many people here represent the majority opinion of parents and other individuals. You will find it extremely hard to convince moms and dads that people should be allowed to access locker rooms in different facilities based on the premise that "If they feel like it, then it's fine. It's just human genitalia anyway".

Probably makes me a conservative in this issue but them's the apples. That being said, I think the woman in this story went overboard with her complaints. What is the point of going over there everyday and "warn" random people.

They should just make the locker rooms mixed gender with changing stalls; it's like that at the gym I go to and I've never heard any complaints.

Also, I came into this thread hoping to read that the woman learnt her lesson but, from her comments after, it seems she didn't.

Weiss

Banned
I just don't believe many people here represent the majority opinion of parents and other individuals. You will find it extremely hard to convince moms and dads that people should be allowed to access locker rooms in different facilities based on the premise that "If they feel like it, then it's fine. It's just human genitalia anyway".

Probably makes me a conservative in this issue but them's the apples.

Yeah I guess rampant discrimination for no good reason is just a thing people have to put up with because god forbid we refuse to tolerate their bullshit. Sorry that you're so likely to get kicked out of your home and get beaten by shitheads; them's the apples!

Probably makes me a conservative in this issue but them's the apples. That being said, I think the woman in this story went overboard with her complaints. What is the point of going over there everyday and "warn" random people.

Some people thought it was going to be hard to convince moms and dads that people with different skin tones should be allowed to access the same public accommodations and yet somehow we've moved on and the world hasn't ended.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Some people thought it was going to be hard to convince moms and dads that people with different skin tones should be allowed to access the same public accommodations and yet somehow we've moved on and the world hasn't ended.

And it took (is still taking) a lot of time. Unfortunately, these things require a lot of people to quite honestly die out for society to change. It will be a while before we have universal genderless bathrooms and lockers.

And it took (is still taking) a lot of time. Unfortunately, these things require a lot of people to quite honestly die out for society to change. It will be a while before we have universal genderless bathrooms and lockers.

Right but I was responding to the premise of "well it's too hard to convince people to change" argument presented above. It's clearly not too hard.

Thai saga in and again..
No offense, i may be too old fashioned, but..
We have man locker and woman locker for a reason..
I don't mind trans frankly but if we want to avide by the usual gym policy i'd say we should have man, woman, trans locker..
No this is not about segregation, this is about keeping a consistent approach..
Imho..

If you don't mind transgendered people then why do you want separate bathrooms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom