• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman complains about a Transgender woman using the woman's locker room of the gym

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICKE

Banned
Yeah I guess rampant discrimination for no good reason is just a thing people have to put up with because god forbid we refuse to tolerate their bullshit. Sorry that you're so likely to get kicked out of your home and get beaten by shitheads; them's the apples!

No doubt many people go through hell in their lives but these questions are not exactly simple. There are vast cultural differences at play and people also have strong opinions as to how their children should be protected in different situations.

For example Muslim women in Europe or any other area are not even going to entertain this idea. Any of their family members being exposed to male genitalia in public facilities is not even a discussion worth having.

Ms.Galaxy

I just don't believe many people here represent the majority opinion of parents and other individuals. You will find it extremely hard to convince moms and dads that people should be allowed to access locker rooms in different facilities based on the premise that "if they feel like it, then it's fine".

Probably makes me a conservative in this issue but them's the apples.

"Think of the children", what an idiotic excuse.

Look mate, trans people aren't going into facilities to cause an issue, they are just going in to change their clothes, shower, and maybe even use the restroom like everyone else. I'm a transwoman, and when I go to the women's changing room, I'm going there to change and that it. Most pre-op trans people do their hardest to hide their primary sex organs and are likely to avoid people while in such rooms.

Also, it isn't very hard to teach kids in a young age about trans people and how to respect them.

"Well you see sweetie, sometimes a boy is born in a girl's body and sometimes a girl is born in a boy's body. They are in the wrong body and are trying to go to the right body with the help of doctors." - What a mother said to her young son while we were in the waiting room in a clinic.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Right but I was responding to the premise of "well it's too hard to convince people to change" argument presented above. It's clearly not too hard.

He's not wrong. It is very hard to convince people (I don't think he was arguing that it's *too* hard, and thus futile). A lot of them will never agree and, like I said, you kind of just have to wait for them to die out. It takes a long time to change the opinion of society.

"Think of the children", what an idiotic excuse.

That'll convince 'em.

Look mate, trans people aren't going into facilities to cause an issue, they are just going in to change their clothes, shower, and maybe even use the restroom like everyone else. I'm a transwoman, and when I go to the women's changing room, I'm going there to change and that it. Most pre-op trans people do their hardest to hide their primary sex organs and are likely to avoid people while in such rooms.

Most cis people aren't going into facilities to cause an issue, either. Would you mind if a straight cis male went into the women's changing room because he felt like it?

If your underlying premise is that people aren't there to cause issues, then I think the only argument is to not have gender-separated changing rooms in the first place.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time finding data that really highlights the discrepancies between the trans-woman and man experience (they're usually grouped together when talking about discrimination, violence, etc.), but trans-men have the highest suicide attempt rate at 46% (among gender identities) (Williams Institute). The article goes on to mention how high suicide rates are, in many cases, a direct result of verbal/sexual abuse suffered in life.

I found another paper (The Anti-Violence Project)that differentiates between the two trans-genders:

My opinion: violence and discrimination being high against trans-women is a good motivator to allow them to change in the room designated for females. Trans-men, however, are at the risk of being subject to verbal, and perhaps even physical, abuse by cisgender males. I still believe they should have the choice to change in the male designated room, and would hope that any such abuse that may come towards them in these rooms would result in dire consequences for the perpetrators. Just having the option of choice is important to building respect and understanding for this community.

Interesting statistics.

As I said, I do feel there's a big under representation of FTM in general transgender conversations. Are there any on gaf that would like to weigh in on the issue regarding safety and what not, whether the women bath/locker room should be the preferred one for all gender identities outside of cis men?

Beth Cyra

Interesting statistics.

As I said, I do feel there's a big under representation of FTM in general transgender conversations. Are there any on gaf that would like to weigh in on the issue regarding safety and what not, whether the women bath/locker room should be the preferred one for all gender identities outside of cis men?

Okay I wanted to take a step back from the thread, and haven't responded much anymore but I felt this was important.

I know SEVERAL Transmen offline, and like the pictures in the previous thread a Transman can actually in many ways "Pass" much easier because of what Testosterone does to the body

1 - Deepen the voice, this doesn't happen with Estrogen.
2 - Grow Facial hair - Again Estrogen doesn't slow this
3 - Increase metabolism and help build muscle mass - So theoretically if a Man has their boobs removed or bound they can have a much easier time flowing in and out of their bathroom so long as they use a stall.

Granted I do firmly believe we don't account enough for Transmen, and its a very sad fact that on Gaf that we do not have many Transmen that identify as such, are at least nearly as much as Transwomen so we do not have a great way to get thoughts and opinions as we really should to be be fair to all.

wildfire

Banned
Every time I hear about this since I was kid to now it's always about trans women.

So will we ever get news stories about transmen?

Ms.Galaxy

Most cis people aren't going into facilities to cause an issue, either. Would you mind if a straight cis male went into the women's changing room because he felt like it?

If your underlying premise is that people aren't there to cause issues, then I think the only argument is to not have gender-separated changing rooms in the first place.

I'd be actually okay if gyms had a unisex changing room instead of gender separated ones. If I was in a changing room with both men and women, I'd feel completely comfortable.

I'd be actually okay if gyms had a unisex changing room instead of gender separated ones.

majority of the people would not be though. There are always people who are quite open about their sexuality. Majority though is not. Unless you live in extremely liberal country ( is there a country where unisex changing room is common?)

Chococat

Do people really need to be convinced that women don't want to be naked in front of strange men? Yes, you can argue how nudity is nothing to be embarrassed about. But that simply isn't how people have been raised to feel about nudity. So to simply expect people to forgo everything they've been trained to feel about nudity all of a sudden is a bit silly.

Replace "strange men" with "black people". Tell me why it is okay to discriminate against the former, but not the later" Or should we go back to white/only blacks only accommodations to make those who trained to be scared of blacks?

What did the transgender do to the so called victim in this case? Merely existing in the same space is not a crime. Just because someone feels uncomfortable around trans people doesn't give them the right to have them removed from a facility or make them feel unwelcome by gossiping about them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be actually okay if gyms had a unisex changing room instead of gender separated ones.

I think that's really the only solution to this.

Having gender separated rooms implies that there is some value in doing so and will only lead to problems when people don't fall in the typical cis gender categories.

Of course, doing this will require major societal change in attitudes towards sex.

Ahasverus

I'd be actually okay if gyms had a unisex changing room instead of gender separated ones. If I was in a changing room with both men and women, I'd feel completely comfortable.
That's dangerous. There's a reason why separated bathrooms exist, the rape and harassment potential is too damn high to take the risk, not to mention health concerns.

I'm actually torn on this issue, pre-op transgendered people are really a grey area for lots of people.

lifa-cobex

So many people's pov to consider. I can imagine gyms telling ppl to change at home in the future. Really just isn't a right answer Imo.

Platy

I think that's really the only solution to this.

Having gender separated rooms implies that there is some value in doing so and will only lead to problems when people don't fall in the typical cis gender categories.

Only ?

People understanding that trans women are women is a pretty good solution that don't require a single cent for the gym

Even my idea of a separate Transphobic bathroom is cheaper than change to one big unisex one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Only ?

People understanding that trans women are women is a pretty good solution that don't require a single cent for the gym

Even my idea of a separate Transphobic bathroom is cheaper than change to one big unisex one.

I think it is the only solution since everything else requires subjective judgment about appearance.

If you allow people who, in most people's eyes, look completely like men, complete with male genitalia, to change in rooms designated for women, then what's to stop a typical cis gender male from just lying about it because he wants to see naked women?

Reishiki

Banned
That's dangerous. There's a reason why separated bathrooms exist, the rape and harassment potential is too damn high to take the risk, not to mention health concerns.

I'm actually torn on this issue, pre-op transgendered people are really a grey area for lots of people.

Holy fucking shit people keep repeating this.

Just fucking STOP

Platy

I think it is the only solution since everything else requires subjective judgment about appearance.

If you allow people who, in most people's eyes, look completely like men, complete with male genitalia, to change in rooms designated for women, then what's to stop a typical cis gender male from just lying about it because he wants to see naked women?

The fact that he has to buy women's clothing, receive prejudice for being a "man" walking in women's clothing in public spaces and the stigma of finding people he knows and keeping that stigma for the rest of his life and of course internalized homotransphobia.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that he has to buy women's clothing, receive prejudice for being a "man" walking in women's clothing in public spaces and the stigma of finding people he knows and keeping that stigma for the rest of his life and of course internalized homotransphobia.

Wait, trans MTF have to wear designated women's clothing? I wasn't aware of this rule.

Platy

Wait, trans MTF have to wear designated women's clothing? I wasn't aware of this rule.

The idea of being acepted in a gender includes using signs that show that the person belongs to that gender.

In our society the most classic sign is women's clothing

Platy

Shouldn't we aim for a society where clothes don't have anything to do with gender?

We shouyld also aim for a genderless free love peacefully without money society.

But if you get something from the mall without paying you will be arrested so we also have to do all of those within the rules of our society =P

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The idea of being acepted in a gender includes using signs that show that the person belongs to that gender.

In our society the most classic sign is women's clothing

So, it's OK to enforce certain gender norms, but not others... Seems logically inconsistent to me.

Plenty of women wear clothes that are designated for men without issue.

Faith

So, it's OK to enforce certain gender norms, but not others... Seems logically inconsistent to me.

You are right, it's not logical. When women are wearing clothes from men on the street nobody bats an eye, but when a man does the same, everyone will be looking at him.

We have to overcome this and it's already in progress. I can wear skinny jeans now without being harassed.

Ms.Galaxy

In some areas transwomen have to wear designated clothes for women if they want to get hormone treatment. It's a stupid rule some therapists have because "reasons".

lifa-cobex

so if we aim for genderless, unisex change room.
Not everyone wants that. I don't think I would be comfortable with my gf or daughter being to the only female getting changed in a room full of blokes. I don't think I would be happy getting changed in a room full of women laughing at me willy.

Beth Cyra

Actually, in some areas transwomen have to wear designated clothes for women if they want to get hormone treatment. It's a stupid rule some therapists have because "reasons".

This is true.

Thankfully more Therapists are pushing back against this frankly insane line of thought. Women are just as varied and unique as the stars in the sky so the "Live the Life" Test/Requirement was nothing but just a weird form of self abuse that people had to undergo and I can't wait for it to be banned in the years to come.

You are right, it's not logical. When women are wearing clothes from men on the street nobody bats an eye, but when a man does the same, everyone will be looking at him.

We have to overcome this and it's already in progress. I can wear skinny jeans now without being harassed.

I like the way my boyfriend looks in skinny jeans and a v-neck tee with cap sleeves. I won't go as far as to say it's a look most men can pull off, but I welcome the blending of gender norms.

But if you want to create a better situation for trans people, labeling and shaming the uneducated is definetively not helping your cause.

Oh shit, the tone police are here

And it took (is still taking) a lot of time. Unfortunately, these things require a lot of people to quite honestly die out for society to change. It will be a while before we have universal genderless bathrooms and lockers.

Opposition and defeatist attitudes like "it's really hard to make this change" are what make these kinds of things take so long.

Of all states that allow trans men and women to use the appropriate bathrooms, none of them have reported that this is an issue, at all. So as it turns out, there is a LOT of things stopping them, particularly the fact that they don't much care to bother.

Again, I'll cite voter ID laws, and why your assertion that cis guys will decide to pose as a trans woman (and put themselves at risk of harassment/assault/murder/rape/etc.) in order to peek at women is as stupid and shitty as why voter ID laws are necessary.

Wiktor

if there are private changing stalls I don't see a problem. Americans are pretty weird about nuditity though. So I guess if they want to avoid conflicts just ban walking around naked in woman's locker outside of those stalls. Plus propably good idea then to make separate facilities of this sort for children.

She says a man standing there so does that mean he had a penis? If he only has a penis, it's really irrelevant what you say, you're a male. If you have a vagina you're a female. If you have both/none, then you can then choose. Not really complicated.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Opposition and defeatist attitudes like "it's really hard to make this change" are what make these kinds of things take so long.

No, I think it's the people who are unwilling to accept the idea that are what make these kind of things take so long.

Of all states that allow trans men and women to use the appropriate bathrooms, none of them have reported that this is an issue, at all.

So as it turns out, there is a LOT of things stopping them, particularly the fact that they don't much care to bother.

Again, I'll cite voter ID laws, and why your assertion that cis guys will decide to pose as a trans woman (and put themselves at risk of harassment/assault/murder/rape/etc.) in order to peek at women is as stupid and shitty as why voter ID laws are necessary.

The fact of the matter is that if you decide to allow for transgender folks to use bathrooms based on the gender with which they identify, then you're effectively making genderless bathrooms, unless you plan on having a bouncer out front to enforce some arbitrary and subjective guideline about how "male" or "female" a person must look in order to use the facilities.

Personally, I'm generally fine with the genderless bathroom idea, but I also understand that a lot of people aren't.

She says a man standing there so does that mean he had a penis? If he only has a penis, it's really irrelevant what you say, you're a male. If you have a vagina you're a female. If you have both/none, then you can then choose. Not really complicated.

Actually, it is quite complicated. It might be worth reading up on what transgender is and what it means to people.

Okay I wanted to take a step back from the thread, and haven't responded much anymore but I felt this was important.

I know SEVERAL Transmen offline, and like the pictures in the previous thread a Transman can actually in many ways "Pass" much easier because of what Testosterone does to the body

1 - Deepen the voice, this doesn't happen with Estrogen.
2 - Grow Facial hair - Again Estrogen doesn't slow this
3 - Increase metabolism and help build muscle mass - So theoretically if a Man has their boobs removed or bound they can have a much easier time flowing in and out of their bathroom so long as they use a stall.

Granted I do firmly believe we don't account enough for Transmen, and its a very sad fact that on Gaf that we do not have many Transmen that identify as such, are at least nearly as much as Transwomen so we do not have a great way to get thoughts and opinions as we really should to be be fair to all.

So the transition is overall much easier (at least physically)? That's interesting.

What about pre-transition though? Say a transman is indistinguishable from a woman in the eyes of the greater public. In the overarching discussion of safety, should they be expected to use the men's locker room? Or is that such an outlier that such a situation would never come up?

No, I think it's the people who are unwilling to accept the idea that are what make these kind of things take so long.

The fact of the matter is that if you decide to allow for transgender folks to use bathrooms based on the gender with which they identify, then you're effectively making genderless bathrooms, unless you plan on having a bouncer out front to enforce some arbitrary and subjective guideline about how "male" or "female" a person must look in order to use the facilities.

Personally, I'm generally fine with the genderless bathroom idea, but I also understand that a lot of people aren't.

What you're proposing now is a need for that kind of bouncer system. I've literally demonstrated that there is no need. Why is it that you're allowed to not only make a statement of fact that is unsupported by anything beyond bogeymen bigotry, but actually ignores objective, hard facts that directly prove that your concerns have no merit whatsoever?

So the transition is overall much easier (at least physically)? That's interesting.

What about pre-transition though? Say a transman is indistinguishable from a woman in the eyes of the greater public. In the overarching discussion of safety, should they be expected to use the men's locker room? Or is that such an outlier that such a situation would never come up?

Pre-op trans men should be able to use the women's changing room for safety reasons.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What you're proposing now is a need for that kind of bouncer system. I've literally demonstrated that there is no need. Why is it that you're allowed to not only make a statement of fact that is unsupported by anything beyond bogeymen bigotry, but actually ignores objective, hard facts that directly prove that your concerns have no merit whatsoever?

No, I'm not proposing it. Stop being so eager to take offense.

The fact of the matter is, if you allow people to choose restrooms/changing rooms based solely on the gender with which they claim to identify, then you are effectively making the bathrooms genderless.

Now, that doesn't mean that people will lie about their gender to get up to no good, but it definitely enables that kind of behavior for people (however few) who want to.

Beth Cyra

I REALLY hesistate to use the word easy.

Some aspect of it are. However I can get a functioning vagina through surgery and while that is great, there are still so many downsides that most TransMen can't get that area done so even physically its not 100%.

Plus there are always variation on how Hormones interact with the body, but some TransMen will find it smoother to go from pre Hormone to post.

As for the Bathroom I don't think they should be forced or expected to do anything. There is such a thing as Stealth for trans, and that is where you don't show it and I will use me as an example.

As you can see in my picture I am a woman (ugly looks aside lol) and I live every day like that and present like that and have huge bill because of my chest.

I could be the exact same mentally though and could have choosen to stay looking like a man, be a body builder, short hair, facial hair and use male facilities.

The Man in your scenario could very well choose the second route simply out of fear and not even from physical violence. I lost my entire parental side of my family when I came out and in this day an age an out TransMan or Woman is likely going to not be able to just stealth at time.

it's not that simple, this is about gender not sex.

No, I'm not proposing it. Stop being so eager to take offense.

The fact of the matter is, if you allow people to choose restrooms/changing rooms based solely on the gender with which they claim to identify, then you are effectively making the bathrooms genderless.

Now, that doesn't mean that people will lie about their gender to get up to no good, but it definitely enables that kind of behavior for people (however few) who want to.

I'm lost.

At what point does "trans women using women's bathrooms" and "trans men using men's bathrooms" make the bathrooms genderless?

Also, I'm just wondering why you keep bringing up the virtually nonexistent chance that someone would try and take advantage of it. The fact that it never happens should be a good enough reason to not assume that it may happen overnight for literally no reason.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm lost.

At what point does "trans women using women's bathrooms" and "trans men using men's bathrooms" make the bathrooms genderless?

Also, I'm just wondering why you keep bringing up the virtually nonexistent chance that someone would try and take advantage of it. The fact that it never happens should be a good enough reason to not assume that it may happen overnight for literally no reason.

I don't see how you are getting lost, other than that you seem convinced that something will never happen because you currently haven't identified any data that it's happened already.

If you allow people to choose the bathrooms they wish to use then you are allowing people to choose the bathrooms they wish to use. It's really simple.

royalan

I don't see how you are getting lost, other than that you seem convinced that something will never happen because you currently haven't identified any data that it's happened already.

If you allow people to choose the bathrooms they wish to use then you are allowing people to choose the bathrooms they wish to use. It's really simple.

And so the natural assumption is that people who identify as men will start using the woman's restroom, because...?

Fair enough. So trans people should bite the bullet and not be given access because something so rare that this thread has literally zero instances cited of people EVER doing it MIGHT happen (though, as reported by state officials in all states where trans people are allowed to use the appropriate bathrooms, doesn't happen ever).

It says a lot about a person who seems more concerned by something that doesn't happen suddenly starting to happen than they are concerned about a group that is one of the most disproportionately victimized in the US.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And so the natural assumption is that people who identify as men will start using the woman's restroom, because...?

No. But it creates a system in which someone could do that very easily if they wanted to. If we're on a trust system in which everyone gets to choose and its taboo to judge anyone based on appearance, then that's the result. Hopefully no one will abuse it.

Fair enough. So trans people should bite the bullet and not be given access because something so rare that this thread has literally zero instances cited of people EVER doing it MIGHT happen (though, as reported by state officials in all states where trans people are allowed to use the appropriate bathrooms, doesn't happen ever).

It says a lot about a person who seems more concerned by something that doesn't happen suddenly starting to happen than they are concerned about a group that is one of the most disproportionately victimized in the US.

You are really eager to take offense and sensationalize aren't you? "It says a lot about a person." Come on. Again, I'm not even concerned about it. I'm fine with trans folks using the bathroom most appropriate to their gender. All I'm pointing out is that such a system is effectively genderless, as it removes restrictions on who can use the facilities.

No offense, but you seem very ignorant about the subject. Please, educate yourself a little.

Do you think these guys should be in the women's side? They have a vagina.

To the people that are uncomfortable with Trans women being in a women's bath room / locker room.

Some people seem to be advocating that, bath rooms should be based strictly on genitals.

Would your REALLY HONESTLY be more comfortable with trans men being forced to use the women's bath room?

Hdj9smI.png

ipqQ0Rf.jpg

Xcigdfd.jpg

Surely, this will make everyone 100% comfortable. No penises in the women's bath rooms. No vaginas in the men's rooms. Now women can feel safe in the women's bath room, knowing a penis will never enter that room.

Secondly, did you read the OP? It says there are private stalls, and it says the transgender woman "blocked" the woman in question. So it's very likely that she was dressed.

It removes restrictions, and as a result, no one will abuse it. Because being a peeping tom is bad, and cis people are never going to want to put themselves at risk if being killed.

It's gendered because cis men are not going to go into the women's bathroom.

It's really amazing how people whose understanding of gender is "my mommy told me when I was six", and then they decide that this makes them experts on the level of people who study gender as their career path. Isn't it funny how ignoring science as far as climate change and vaccinations go makes you ignorant, but when people ignore science on gender, it's "just their opinion, gotta respect it!"

CDX

No offense, but you seem very ignorant about the subject. Please, educate yourself a little.

Do you think these guys should be in the women's side? They have a vagina.

To the people that are uncomfortable with Trans women being in a women's bath room / locker room.

Some people seem to be advocating that, bath rooms should be based strictly on genitals.

Would your REALLY HONESTLY be more comfortable with trans men being forced to use the women's bath room?

Hdj9smI.png

ipqQ0Rf.jpg

Xcigdfd.jpg

Surely, this will make everyone 100% comfortable. No penises in the women's bath rooms. No vaginas in the men's rooms. Now women can feel safe in the women's bath room, knowing a penis will never enter that room.

Yeah, I was going to reply to SuperEpicGuy by quoting the same post. In his world then everybody will be happy, and everyone's genitals will match while in the same room.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Unisex/gender bathrooms would be a reasonable compromise IMO for a decade or so until people chill. Would suck for transgender females who are uncomfortable around men, but that should at least bridge the empathy gap from both sides.

People are very quick to call others bigots and compare them to Hitler is all I'm taking from this thread. Mostly when they have different opinions.

The woman handled the situation terribly. She had no right to go around to other women talking trash about someone else. There is a discussion to be had about gender and bathrooms but this is not to way to do it. She deserved to lose her membership

People are very quick to call others bigots and compare them to Hitler is all I'm taking from this thread. Mostly when they have different opinions.

Amazingly enough, saying bigoted things like "what if men pose as women to peep???" and "penis = man, vagina = woman, deal with it" often results in people being called bigots.

And yet people do it.

You certainly seem to have a lot more faith that all people will be good and honest than I do.

Show me peeping tom statistics, and then show me statistics of those peeping toms with respect to how many claimed to be trans as a means by which to peep.

Being a peeping tom can ruin your life. Being a peeping tom who claims to be trans in order to go into a women's bathroom is so high-risk and so high-effort that people have to go through the risk of peeping in general and THEN go through the risk of publicly identifying as trans. What you're describing is so cartoonishly unrealistic that I wouldn't be surprised if your perception of reality is from TV.

What I have faith in is that a problem won't become a problem overnight for literally no reason. The two people in the US who would take advantage of this situation would find another way if the situation was not available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom