• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman complains about a Transgender woman using the woman's locker room of the gym

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunk#7

The fact that being seen as a trans person can get you killed.

Also the fact that NO ONE DOES IT. If this thread is anything to go by, the fact that not one human being has been shown to have done it should be pretty telling about how much of a risk it is.

I'll reiterate what I keep saying...

Isn't it odd that you're more concerned with what might happen than you are concerned with what is happening to an unacceptable degree?

People are not doing it because the rules you are wanting do not exist yet. Peeping Tom's are not allowed to do what I just described and get away with it.

The floodgates would be opened with the proposed changes

Of course there are no records of people doing what isn't possible yet

We are writing the rules of society around those that violate laws at that point.

Yes, we're writing the rules of society in such a way to stop one of the most disproportionately victimized Americans from being oppressed.

Do you also think that Rosa Parks' arrest was an okay thing? And that writing the rules of society in a contradictory way to how the laws are was bad?

Ms.Galaxy

What would stop some peeping Tom from going into a women's locker room while he was on vacation or out of town? He could claim he identified as female with no risk. Then he could return home like nothing ever happened

That sounds like the most convoluted way of sneaking into a women's changing room just to look at naked women. That sounds like something from a comedy sketch show, it's ridiculous.

Beth Cyra

So eager to attack and misrepresent. I've said time and time again I have no issue with transgender people using the facilities of the gender they identify with. I am not arguing against it in any way whatsoever.

I'm talking about a hypothetical situation here since this facilities being accepting and understanding of transgender folks is very much not a widespread thing at this point.
Attack? Nothing in my post that time attacked you at all.

All I said is your hypotheical on this instance is so out of line with reality it doesn't stand.

Look at those down sides, all of them to look at a pair of boots and worse yet to take that option when you have the easier option avalible.

People are not doing it because the rules you are wanting do not exist yet. Peeping Tom's are not allowed to do what I just described and get away with it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155054131&postcount=494

Elaborate. Is there reason that you're horrifically uneducated on this topic and yet think your voice has any value?

Dunk#7

Yes, we're writing the rules of society in such a way to stop one of the most disproportionately victimized Americans from being oppressed.

Do you also think that Rosa Parks' arrest was an okay thing? And that writing the rules of society in a contradictory way to how the laws are was bad?

I don't understand why anybody would beat up (or murder as you said) anybody for being trans or cis. Why would that provoke anger?

royalan

Planet Fitness has had their No Judgemen policy for a minute now.

Where are all the reports of peeping toms disguising themselves as trans to free-for-all in the woman's locker room?

Beth Cyra

I don't understand why anybody would beat up (or murder as you said) anybody for being trans or cis. Why would that provoke anger?
Because people are cruel and irrational at times.

Dunk this happens all the time, people like me have to live in fear of this, and not plane will crash a very low percent kinda fear. But a real and justified fear that you take serious procations.

Fliesen

the sheer fact that you don't understand it doesn't mean that it isn't happening all over the world.

I don't understand why anybody would cause physical harm to anyone over their color of skin, religion, self-definition of gender or sexual orientation, but - news flash - people are being beaten, raped and murdered over these kinds of things. - there are people beating others up over what fucking soccer team they like more... don't pretend people aren't being shit to people all the time, everywhere :p

it's like saying it'd open the floodgates to Germans pretending to be Jews just to have some extra holidays for Hannukah 1943.
And yeah, i went there. because it's that ridiculous of an assumption assumption, and it ignores the realities of what transgender people have to deal with in their daily lives to an insulting degree.

So eager to attack and misrepresent. I've said time and time again I have no issue with transgender people using the facilities of the gender they identify with. I am not arguing against it in any way whatsoever.

I'm talking about a hypothetical situation here since this facilities being accepting and understanding of transgender folks is very much not a widespread thing at this point.

1/5 of US states allow trans people to use the appropriate restrooms.

I didn't say cis, I said trans. People don't get killed for being cis.

That said, you seriously don't understand why a country noted for its bigotry would do bigoted things? Like, you seriously don't see the connection, and don't understand why the fact that trans people earn less, are turned away from homeless shelters more often, are disproportionately more often victims of violence, are more likely to be disowned by their family, are more likely to face job discrimination, and attempt suicide to a ridiculous degree (most Native American trans people have attempted suicide)?

Trans people are treated like second-class citizens. I don't know if your question is legitimately horrific ignorance or horrific trolling.

Isn't the concept of a forum a place to gain knowledge? Why are you insulting me by claiming my thoughts have no value?

Rude

Your thoughts have no value. I'm treating you as you should be treated: as someone who, with no knowledge of what they were talking about, made statements of facts that were actually full of shit. If you did your research before deciding that you were the foremost authority on transness, you wouldn't have been insulted. Take responsibility, be an adult.

Ms.Galaxy

Dunk this happens all the time, people like me have to live in fear of this, and not plane will crash a very low percent kinda fear. But a real and justified fear that you take serious procations.

This. Ever since I got sent to the ER after a group of thugs decided to try to "beat the fag out of me", I'm scared to go alone out in public without protection. I always leave my home with a expandable baton, a rape whistle, and pepper spray. I have to use these tools almost every couple of days and I live in Massachusetts, a state known to be extremely progressive towards LGBT people. No matter where we live, we will always be haunted by that fear.

Dunk#7

I am sorry to hear that. I wish society could be "live and let live" for the most part. If something has no effect on you then why should you care? Let people make their own choices and live their own lives

My thoughts on this are just around kids at very young ages being exposed to the nudity of the opposite sex. However remote that possibility is why not try to minimize it where possible?

royalan

I am sorry to hear that. I wish society could be "live and let live" for the most part. If something has no effect on you then why should you care? Let people make their own choices and live their own lives

My thoughts on this are just around kids at very young ages being exposed to the nudity of the opposite sex. However remote that possibility is why not try to minimize it where possible?

Why is this a bad thing in the first place?

Your proposal is to put one of the most at-risk groups at greater risk "because of the children." Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't most people who would sexually assault a child a member of that child's family? Would you agree that fathers should wear a chastity belt and not be allowed to take it out, since they are the most likely person that would assault their child?

esms

This. Ever since I got sent to the ER after a group of thugs decided to try to "beat the fag out of me", I'm scared to go alone out in public without protection. I always leave my home with a expandable baton, a rape whistle, and pepper spray. I have to use these tools almost every couple of days and I live in Massachusetts, a state known to be extremely progressive towards LGBT people. No matter where we live, we will always be haunted by that fear.

Every couple days? Jesus.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
1/5 of US states allow trans people to use the appropriate restrooms.

Which states have enacted laws at the state level that outlaw such discrimination? A quick Google search didn't turn up anything conclusive in regards to this topic for me.

Either way, 1/5 is 20% which means 80% don't. I wouldn't personally call 20% "widespread," but I suppose that's subjective.

Honest question: why is it bad for kids to see genitalia at an early age?

Edit: royalan already asked, so nvm.

Dunk#7

Holy crap! Every couple days? Is that literal?

What a terrible world we live in

Beth Cyra

Maybe I should.

I don't have all the answers Dunk, but I don't anD will not use male restrooms or locker rooms. A child will never see that area of me because I'm a responsible adult.

I do however have three kids I plan to go home to each night with out having to break someone or being broken by someone else all because they can't handle that I'm a woman.

If that makes me selfish and a deviant, well I guess I am to those with this mindset.

Ms.Galaxy

Every couple days? Jesus.

Holy crap! Every couple days? Is that literal?

What a terrible world we live in

I live in New Bedford, Massachusetts and it's not the most friendly of places for me. Too many old fashion catholics around the area and there are a lot of dangerous neighborhoods. I mostly have to use the rape whistle and they start running, I only ever had to use the pepper spray and baton six times so far.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155054131&postcount=494

10s of millions of people live in states that protect trans people's bathroom rights. This is not some niche thing, this is millions people being exposed to these kinds of protections and, as it turns out, few to zero people have exploited it.

Is that the only source? I'm genuinely curious. Do all of those states have laws enacted at the state level or are there just various municipalities within those states that have laws against discrimination? I ask because a lot of those quotes are not from state representatives.

Dunk#7

Honest question: why is it bad for kids to see genitalia at an early age?

It just seems to me that there is a time later in life where kids should have the different sexes explained to them. Abruptly exposing them to the nudity of the opposite sex before they understand much about the world around them seems wrong. Kids get exposed to things in stages when they are capable of comprehending all that goes along with it.

Is that the only source? I'm genuinely curious. Do all of those states have laws enacted at the state level or are there just various municipalities within those states that have laws against discrimination?

They are state laws.

You'd know the answer to this if you did your research.

Dunk#7

Maybe I should.

I don't have all the answers Dunk, but I don't anD will not use male restrooms or locker rooms. A child will never see that area of me because I'm a responsible adult.

I do however have three kids I plan to go home to each night with out having to break someone or being broken by someone else all because they can't handle that I'm a woman.

If that makes me selfish and a deviant, well I guess I am to those with this mindset.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I am saying that I personally don't care what other people do or how other people live as long as it doesn't effect me. I think that is a rule a lot of people should live by.

People wouldn't bother you if they had that mindset

bms2993

Banned
Why are threads like this so controversial? Can't we all get a long? I see caps and bolded letters.. ugh. Distasteful. Respect each others views and we'll be golden.

You have obviously never been in a gay gym locker room.

I've not seen this elaborated on further but perhaps I've missed it, could you please provide further clarification as to what you mean? As a homosexual, cis-gendered male, I have to say I recoil at the apparent assertion that despite the fact that I've a natural attraction to the male body that I seem to be unable to control the impulse (or are "ruled by their hormones") to look at attractive men in the locker room, even amongst other gay individuals (given that you clarify "gay gym locker"). As has been mentioned, you have the ability to control this alleged insult to check out attractive individuals, it is simply good decency and respectful to avoid being perverse, and if one does so it won't be long before complaints are justifiably being raised. Ultimately, I'm in there to have a shower and get changed so I can either move onto the gym/pool, or head into the pool for a swim, trying to catch a perverted sly glimpse of the hulking beauty in the corner is the least of my concern. Simply going on my own personal experience, be it a male changing room, a unisex changing room, or a changing room with exclusively gay individuals located within it (and I have been in this due an event with my college's society involving a tag rugby league) the assertion you are making rings hollow.

It is not normal behaviour to be unable to control a desire to look at somebody you find attractive, just as it is not normal behaviour to be unable to control any other impulse towards an individual you find attractive, regardless of where both the individual you find attractive and yourself lie upon the gender spectrum. Do some individuals not control this instinct? Yes, but to state it is the normal response seems outrageous, and anybody who didn't would have complaints raised against them for their disrespectful behaviour.

That's dangerous. here's a reason why separated bathrooms exist, the rape and harassment potential is too damn high to take the risk, not to mention health concerns.

I'm actually torn on this issue, pre-op transgendered people are really a grey area for lots of people.

What is the reason that they have existed? The first indication of gender-segregated bathrooms arose in 1739 at a ball in Paris (http://www.sulabhtoiletmuseum.org/history-of-toilets/ and https://www.academia.edu/681109/Unisex_Toilets_and_the_Sex-Elimination_Linkage) but only became commonplace once a law was past in 1887 when Massachusetts passed a law mandating segregated bathrooms (http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/..._outdated_relic_of_victorian_paternalism.html) because of gender-theory concept suggested women "were “unable to
[physically] withstand strains, fatigues, and privations as well as
[men]" (CFW Doehler) and becaues of Victorian-era concepts relating to the purity of womanhood, the emergence of germ-theory which indicated it was unsanitary to do one's business whenever one pleased, and a puritan feeling that bodies, and bodily functions, should be kept as private, unspoken, and hushed activities. For the vast majority of human history, gender segregation in the 'bathroom' (while excreting) was not a thing, and most certainly did not arise solely out of safety concerns as you seem to be suggesting, and many unisex bathrooms and locker rooms exist worldwide.

Yet even still, regarding safety concerns, this still seems to be an inherently flawed justification as it relies on an implicit belief that men are predatory, and that individuals who reside elsewhere on the gender spectrum must be 'protected' from these individuals, regardless of circumstances, or are inherently more fragile (see the common supposition of a young female being momentarily exposed to another female with a penis but rarity of a mention of a young male being momentarily exposed to a male with a vagina, and the constant reference to a female with a penis in a female changing room but the rarity of the mention of a male with a vagina in the male changing room [obviously ignoring individuals who are post-operation if they choose to have this as few seem to care]). While it is absolutely true that cisgendered women are heavily affected by sexual assault, and non-cisgendered individuals are heavily discriminated against in public spaces (there is indeed a truth, individuals not cisgendered suffer huge discrimination http://www.transgenderlaw.org/resources/transfactsheet.pdf), this should not be seen as 'the' reason to avoid unisex bathrooms, ultimately, the only protection being offered by gender segregated bathrooms that promote the gender-binary is a simple sign on the door. If somebody, anybody, is going into the location with ill intent, the idea that the sign itself will sever as some sort of magical, unbreakable ward seems truly bizarre.

The role it has on a non-binary individual, too, cannot be overstated. An individual earlier on asked something along the lines of how you should explain to a child that a female has a penis, and if one wants to have to explain this to a child. As an individual who is privileged to identify as the gender that I was born as, who does not face discrimination on a near-daily basis because of my gender identity, my answer is indeed yes, I do wish for our world to be a place where this can be discussed openly with the next generation, so that if they, or a descendant of mine (biological or otherwise), identify elsewhere on the gender spectrum, may be happy with who they are and avoid the persecution that people face in our society today (in fact I'd hope they'd grow up in a time when there's no need to ask). Bathrooms and locker rooms are a place today where gender segregation is not only accepted, but embraced based upon flimsy and unsupported scientific studies which suggest a correlation between safety and gender segregation in the locker room/bathroom environment, where individual are discriminated against on a daily basis, and forced to choose their gender, even if they do not identify as either male or female. I have witnessed first hand, numerous times, the damage this can do to an individual's self-esteem, self-confidence, and sense of identity on a continual basis is simply unacceptable, and how much of a barrier this can serve a young non-cisgendered individual from living in the manner that they wish to, but there is no need to rely upon my own anecdotal experience; the statistics previously mentioned paint a horrible picture of the discrimination that is experienced, some pronounced (physical abuse, verbal abuse, etc.), and some subtle, culturally engrained existences of discrimination (such as gender binary/segregated bathrooms and changing areas).

The hypothetical of a male pretending to be female to perve on, and harass, women is simply absurd. I've searched extensively for occurrences of this and I must confess I've not found an actual documented case yet. This seems to have no basis other than being a scare flimsy scare tactic that seems to have a not-so-subtle link to the idea that some individuals are sly, simply faking their gender dysphoria to carry out a harmful, destructive scheme, and is a harmful attitude to have that villifies non-cisgendered individuals. Will every non-cisgendered individual go into the bathroom which they identify as (assuming they are born as either male or female)? No, some may fear persecution, some may fear judgement, and some may still be coming to terms with their own identity, but they should certainly be allowed to use which they feel to be best suited to them. The reality is that if an individual is acting perverted in a changing area or bathroom, this is the issue, nothing else.

Another reality, however, is that it is not simply non-cisgendered individuals harmed by gender separation. A parent with a child who identifies as a different gender identity to the parent is forced between which to take them in, or whether to use separate changing rooms/bathrooms to avoid the judgement. An elderly cisgendered couple where one of the individuals requires some degree of assistance are forced to choose which bathroom/changing room to use. A parent with a young child who is forced to change their child will have to do so within the bathroom, however many male facilities lack the facilities to do so and are required to use the female bathroom. It's a problem that, subtly, may affect many cisgendered individuals, yet it is non-cisgendered individuals who feel the brunt of discrimination in this setting (and I didn't get to it, but hygiene issue are silly, increase the frequency if cleaning).

Of course, a reality is that many building laws and permits require gender segregated bathrooms so it cannot be an immediate change by any means, and I wouldn't naively think it wouldn't require many, many years of change and a cultural shift away from commonly perceived views of gender, but I don't think the claim that there's a reason they're segregated is remotely true..

So the transition is overall much easier (at least physically)? That's interesting.

What about pre-transition though? Say a transman is indistinguishable from a woman in the eyes of the greater public. In the overarching discussion of safety, should they be expected to use the men's locker room? Or is that such an outlier that such a situation would never come up?

There are quite a few non-cisgendered males within local college societies which I am connected to, so, respecting their privacy as best as I can, the individuals overwhelmingly would rather, and do, use the male changing/locker rooms/bathrooms, as they are a male, pre-transition (and let me state that I have never, and will never, ask about the extent of surgery which has been done, that is absolutely, one hundred percent out of line, and intrusive, and wears on ones mental fortitude when it's encountered daily; I do know some have had breast reduction surgery and hormone therapy, but surgery involving the genitalia is nobody's business but their own, and I only know this much because he was featured on a show regarding transgender individuals) or post-op. The only time that has been reported to me that they did not accept who they were, or wished to hide it from the public in fear of discrimination, but as soon as they identified, and accepted that they were male, they used the male locker rooms/changing rooms and male bathroom facilities, but would vastly prefer gender-neutral facilities to be introduced (either by simply removing gender-specific signs on bathroom doors and simply labeling them as a bathroom, or by opening an additional gender neutral facility [yet not non-cisgendered only, this is a major and important difference] which anybody can use; the unisex facilities however are seen as the ultimate goal rather than having three bathroom 'types' as this still is quite unnecessary).

----

Just as a general comment regarding this instance, I can understand the woman's discomfort, we exist in a society where gender and sex are viewed as equivalent by most, and the gender spectrum (and spectrum of sexual orientations) are poorly understood, however as Besada has noted within the thread earlier, there is a huge difference between initially feeling uncomfortable as this woman who had her membership cancelled did without any knowledge, having it explained to her by the staff, and then still voicing her discriminatory and hurtful views, and taking further action against the non-cisgendered female; the latter is simply not acceptable regardless of circumstances and Planet Fitness absolutely made the correct call, the claim of victimisation is hilarious.

esms

I live in New Bedford, Massachusetts and it's not the most friendly of places for me. Too many old fashion catholics around the area and there are a lot of dangerous neighborhoods. I mostly have to use the rape whistle and they start running, I only ever had to use the pepper spray and baton six times so far.

How very Christian of them.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I am saying that I personally don't care what other people do or how other people live as long as it doesn't effect me. I think that is a rule a lot of people should live by.

Politeness and positive thinking doesn't fix the fact that tons of people hate trans people, and some of the most powerful Americans want to make it okay to discriminate against trans people.

Respect each others views

no

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, sorry. Just call me Google, I guess?

You know that you don't have to respond, right? It does appear that you absolutely revel in a chance to belittle people and express your outrage, though.

Why are threads like this so controversial? Can't we all get a long? I see caps and bolded letters.. ugh. Distasteful. Respect each others views and we'll be golden.

I don't think that's fair at all. Not all views are worthy of respect. Not in the slightest.

Sai-kun

Banned

there aren't really two sides to this, and not every view is worth respecting

unfortunately, just being polite doesn't get us anywhere. it's great that you don't care what others do, but a ton of people do.

bms2993

Banned
You know that you don't have to respond, right? It does appear that you absolutely revel in a chance to belittle people and express your outrage, though.

I don't think that's fair at all. Not all views are worthy of respect. Not in the slightest.

Okay. Everyone is wrong. Including me. We're golden now!

t-storm

Your thoughts have no value. I'm treating you as you should be treated: as someone who, with no knowledge of what they were talking about, made statements of facts that were actually full of shit. If you did your research before deciding that you were the foremost authority on transness, you wouldn't have been insulted. Take responsibility, be an adult.
Why don't you facilitate that instead of being a dismissive ass and perpetuating ignorance? You're part of the problem.

It just seems to me that there is a time later in life where kids should have the different sexes explained to them. Abruptly exposing them to the nudity of the opposite sex before they understand much about the world around them seems wrong. Kids get exposed to things in stages when they are capable of comprehending all that goes along with it.

I certainly agree that a child's first exposure to the opposite sex's genitalia should not occur within a bathroom or changing area. I think it should occur at a much earlier developmental stage; explaining the differences between the two and discouraging any sort of shame, while also teaching about personal boundaries is the best way to increase respect amongst people and defeat body shame of this variety.

Kids are curious, and willing to learn about others. I'd also say explaining the difference between the two types of genitalia is a lot simpler than long division. It's binary, compared to gender, which may be a little more difficult, but still boils down to definitions.

Forums are a source of gaining knowledge so in some sense yes you are Google. You can't assume people know everything that you do, and respond negatively when they don't know it all.

Forums are things that you go into and discuss shit you know about. I don't go into gaming threads and talk about games as if I know shit about them, if I don't know shit about them.

You made statements of facts in this thread, and when pointed out, you got defensive instead of saying "whoops, I'm full of shit."

Come back when you've properly researched the subject. I am tired of having to educate people who think that they don't have to educate themselves on trans issues before they discuss trans issues.

Why don't you facilitate that instead of being a dismissive ass and perpetuating ignorance? You're part of the problem.

Nope, the problem is cis people who decided that this is a subject that every ignorant person who feels like participating in the discussion is allowed to discuss the issue. I have every right to get pissed by the umpteenth poster turning out to know nothing about what they claim to be educated on.

You enter a discussion on climate change, and if you're making an argument that's not based in fact, people are going to call you out on it.

t-storm

Forums are things that you go into and discuss shit you know about. I don't go into gaming threads and talk about games as if I know shit about them, if I don't know shit about them.

You made statements of facts in this thread, and when pointed out, you got defensive instead of saying "whoops, I'm full of shit."

Come back when you've properly researched the subject. I am tired of having to educate people who think that they don't have to educate themselves on trans issues before they discuss trans issues.
Then go away?

You're obviously confused as you keep sticking around.

bms2993

Banned
My attempts to make peace have backfired. There is no solution to this conundrum.
11644852-Im-ou.gif

What about nudist colonies?

I'm sure it can be tiring to address the same issues, questions and comments. Patience can be fleeting. Especially when some people aren't genuine with their questions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am tired of having to educate people who think that they don't have to educate themselves on trans issues before they discuss trans issues.

Good for you. No one really gives a shit, nor should they. No one knows about your personal crusade and they really shouldn't be obligated to.

How you choose to approach a forum is not the only valid option whether you like it or not. It is very much not your way or the highway.

Although I do agree with you that you deserve to be called out if you're talking a bunch of bullshit as if it is fact when it turns out you really haven't a clue about the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom