• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman complains about a Transgender woman using the woman's locker room of the gym

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. It seems like I can't really try to relate by contrasting it to a feeling of "rightness" that I don't really feel to a wrongness that they feel.

Yeah, part of the problem with this stuff is how difficult it is to explain to people who haven't experienced it, because there's really not an easy point of comparison. It's something most people just sort of...take for granted.

ZackShikari

Neo Member
Honestly, if the trans woman was just minding her own business there would be no reason to suspect that it was a man trying to sneak peaks or anything. She deserved to be banned from the gym.

Edit:

Since this post got me banned I should probably clarify I was talking about the judgmental woman deserving to be banned, not the trans woman.

Well I guess that's the part that doesn't click. I don't think I love having a penis. If I woke up without it, I'm sure I'd be unhappy for a long time, but I think that's because I've grown to expect having it. Maybe I can't truly know this is true, but I feel like I only like my body being the way it is because I've gotten accustom to it being this way for 26 years. This just might be one of those things that can't really be separated or analyzed individually, I guess.

So I guess there isn't a complementary "gender euphoria" then? Is it one of those things that go unnoticed until things aren't working typically?

Yeah 'love' was the wrong word when I said "all men at least love having a penis," there are many reasons why a man would not like their penis, but they at least accept it's a normal part of them and they're not distressed by its existence. Many trans people are distressed by the configuration of their genitals, like it actively bothers them when they're reminded of it. A way I've heard it described is their "brain expects a penis/vulva to be where their vulva/penis is."

lol, gender euphoria is a great term & I think it can exist. It definitely feels like 'gender euphoria' the first time a trans person is sir- or ma'am-ed appropriately. Like affirming someone's identified gender is totally euphoric (at least at first, if someone is consistently gendered correctly it will slowly become normal and not exciting, the way it is for most cis people).

Are you suggesting that the person shouldn't be allowed in the women's locker room because of their looks?
Transphobes (is this the word I'm looking for?) like the woman in the OP fear that someone with a penis will be in their locker room, ogling them, so they want people to use the locker rooms that correspond to their genitalia. Buck Angel doesn't have a penis, but I think the woman from the OP would throw another tantrum if he was in her locker room, too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Transphobes (is this the word I'm looking for?) like the woman in the OP fear that someone with a penis will be in their locker room, ogling them, so they want people to use the locker rooms that correspond to their genitalia. Buck Angel doesn't have a penis, but I think the woman from the OP would throw another tantrum if he was in her locker room, too.

If her problem was with the genitalia (I don't think we even have confirmation of that, though), then why would that be the case?

Christine

Something I guess I never thought about transgender is this. I believe that any attachment I have with my body's sexual identity is purely from life experience, not some innate expectation that makes me feel it is right. When people talk about transgender confusion, is there some innate feeling of anatomical misplacement? Is there a feeling of seeing your sexual organs and feeling like it's wrong?

For me, the answer is definitely yes. From as early as I can possibly remember. I've hated seeing myself naked since I was about four. Far before I could even start to understand why, I was hyperventilating in a shower with the lights off, staring at the outline of my genitals in a panicked fugue.

If so, this is a feeling I guess I have trouble relating to. I can understand the feeling homosexual people have, and it's pretty simple. What I feel towards women, homosexual feel towards men. It's pretty simple to put my emotions in their shoes. But for what transgender people feel wrong about, I don't really feel "right" about.

I'm not saying this to illegitimate anything. I feel there is a gap in my experience. I'm not sure if I'm properly explaining this confusion transgender people experience.

The observation that it doesn't feel like anything to be cis is common, and it really is the most frustratingly difficult thing to try to explain. But, you are correct that there is a gap in your experience. It was an experience I tried not to have. I worked harder at that than any other ambition I ever had or ever will. I sacrificed the best of myself in pursuit of healing or changing or simply ignoring a problem I wouldn't even allow myself to be fully conscious I had. I was that good at it.

But it is and always will be beyond me. I might as well try to lift a mountain on my back. The world provided ready access to all the tools I needed to run amateur conversion therapy on myself for most of my adult life, and the outcome was tragic.

Nothing could bring me back to myself until I allowed myself to actually consider the question of whether I was trans, and the only thing that ever made sense of my experiences was reading what trans women had written about themselves. Is this at all helpful?

So I guess there isn't a complementary "gender euphoria" then? Is it one of those things that go unnoticed until things aren't working typically?

I mean, we don't tend to medicalize persistently positive emotions unless they produce a concrete disruptive effect, so I'm not sure quite what would count. There are certainly instances of people (both cis and transitioning/transitioned trans people) who at some point experience a feeling of euphoria about their gender and the recognition thereof.

If her problem was with the genitalia (I don't think we even have confirmation of that, though), then why would that be the case?

Because the real, underlying problem isn't actually with the genitalia.

Two Words

For me, the answer is definitely yes. From as early as I can possibly remember. I've hated seeing myself naked since I was about four. Far before I could even start to understand why, I was hyperventilating in a shower with the lights off, staring at the outline of my genitals in a panicked fugue.

The observation that it doesn't feel like anything to be cis is common, and it really is the most frustratingly difficult thing to try to explain. But, you are correct that there is a gap in your experience. It was an experience I tried not to have. I worked harder at that than any other ambition I ever had or ever will. I sacrificed the best of myself in pursuit of healing or changing or simply ignoring a problem I wouldn't even allow myself to be fully conscious I had. I was that good at it.

But it is and always will be beyond me. I might as well try to lift a mountain on my back. The world provided ready access to all the tools I needed to run amateur conversion therapy on myself for most of my adult life, and the outcome was tragic.

Nothing could bring me back to myself until I allowed myself to actually consider the question of whether I was trans, and the only thing that ever made sense of my experiences was reading what trans women had written about themselves. Is this at all helpful?
Yes, that perspective is very helpful. It can be tricky to accept that you can't just put yourself in somebody else's shoes and simulate the experience what they do. This is definitely one of those cases where just using your own experience to relate can be deceiving.

Izuna

Banned
Honestly, if the trans woman was just minding her own business there would be no reason to suspect that it was a man trying to sneak peaks or anything. She deserved to be banned from the gym.

Why did this person get banned?

He has only made two posts, one about PS2 graphics and this one.

He made a clear error using the pronoun "She" to refer the to person who got banned from the gym. Otherwise he would have said "deserves".

--

EDIT

I should sleep.

I think her problem is she doesn't want men in her locker room, and she thinks a trans woman is still a man. I highly doubt she would view Buck Angel as a woman, though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Why did this person get banned?

He has only made two posts, one about PS2 graphics and this one.

He made a clear error using the pronoun "She" to refer the to person who got banned from the gym. Otherwise he would have said "deserves".

--

EDIT

I should sleep.

Could have just been an alt.

Christine

Yes, that perspective is very helpful. It can be tricky to accept that you can't just put yourself in somebody else's shoes and simulate the experience what they do. This is definitely one of those cases where just using your own experience to relate can be deceiving.

It's a hard lesson to learn well. They're not even gaps until they're pointed out to you. Before that, they don't seem like anything at all.

It's not surprising that you'd think that men are men because of the lived experience of inhabiting a male body, and that women are women because they have female bodies. I persisted in that exact belief for decades despite being continually contradicted by the testimony of my senses.

Hollycat

Speaking of education, I could use some here. For my personal edification, does this mean you were born a man, but live as a gay woman? Did you have to do any surgeries or any of that sort of stuff? Or is that something different? I don't know much. Don't hurt me, ma'am.
Yep, I'm a mtf trans woman. I like women and don't like men. I'm not far enough along for surgery.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
cis people.

Since I keep seeing this notion by you, would you explain to me what the difference between "cis" and "not trans" is? As someone, who does not identifiy with any gender beyond "I was born with male genitals, therefore I am male" am I cis? I wonder, because from my understanding, cis means something like "feeling to have the right sex", whereas I'd say whatever sex I'd have would certainly not be the wrong one, because it's just a randomly decided biological constant. So I'm not sure if you mean people like me when you say "cis", or only people who think that there is a right sex for them and needs to be the one they have.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wondered about this: A gay man can sleep with a girl just for fun. I've wondered this since I met a woman who had a roommate and it just clicked for a second. He could be gay and one night ends up having sex with the girl.

I don't think transgender means this will happen, but seeing a nude erection (Nonsexual and biological) could possibly bother someone. I don't know if they are preop or postop. Maybe I'm asking too much of a definition here? I can only assume that there has been gay or transgender people who've slept or somehow been with a person. I thought about this a long time ago. The woman took money from me and it felt like someone was having relations with her and her roommate was transgender. It may not be the case. People define their sexuality period. Lots of people stick to that choice.

Sai-kun

Banned
Since I keep seeing this notion by you, would you explain to me what the difference between "cis" and "not trans" is? As someone, who does not identifiy with any gender beyond "I was born with male genitals, therefore I am male" am I cis? I wonder, because from my understanding, cis means something like "feeling to have the right sex", whereas I'd say whatever sex I'd have would certainly not be the wrong one, because it's just a randomly decided biological constant. So I'm not sure if you mean people like me when you say "cis", or only people who think that there is a right sex for them and needs to be the one they have.

cisgender is simply: the sex you are at birth matches the gender you feel in your head.

the difference between 'cis' and 'not trans' is really just a politeness thing, to keep from 'othering' trans folks as much as possible, in my experience.

I wondered about this: A gay man can sleep with a girl just for fun. I've wondered this since I met a woman who had a roommate and it just clicked for a second. He could be gay and one night ends up having sex with the girl.

I don't think transgender means this will happen, but seeing a nude erection (Nonsexual and biological) could possibly bother someone. I don't know if they are preop or postop. Maybe I'm asking too much of a definition here? I can only assume that there has been gay or transgender people who've slept or somehow been with a person. I thought about this a long time ago. The woman took money from me and it felt like someone was having relations with her and her roommate was transgender. It may not be the case. People define their sexuality period. Lots of people stick to that choice.

what is this post?

sexuality and gender are totally separate

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
cisgender is simply: the sex you are at birth matches the gender you feel in your head.

the difference between 'cis' and 'not trans' is really just a politeness thing, to keep from 'othering' trans folks as much as possible, in my experience.

what is this post?

sexuality and gender are totally separate

I got used by a girl and I wondered about something. I'm just trying to ponder something with other people. I think of why straight men in prison have sex. I think of gay men having sex with women. I don't think people look at sex when it comes down to being naked in front of one another. This sounds out of touch, but I just assume it would be back to back when people are around one another. I've only been in fully open gyms where guys walk around naked and so forth.

People aren't always intelligent nor do they consider things when it's at a glance. They are rash to make decisions and form opinions.

Zok310

Banned
"She thinks PF should provide a 3rd locker room for Transgender"

Yeah it's that simple, what a simple fuck she is. I have no clue how some of these people made it through grade school.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Why compromise?

Its up to society to accept people's gender identities. Its not up to trans people to steer wide of cis-gendered people until there are no crazy assholes complaining about them.

What would happen if we had kept segregation until "people chill"? People still aren't chill. I realize this gym issue is not nearly on the level of racial segregation, but how is accommodating small-minded people until they come around going to suddenly work this time? And how is a creating a third category of locker room going to do anything but make trans even less normalized than it is now?

I'm being pragmatic. One way to educate people is to expose them to stuff gradually (and ten years for a massive societal change is hardly dragging it out). This isn't a bunch of "settled law" it's a transitional point in society where we are as a culture abandoning many of the irrational strictures and ideas of the past. Creating appropriate infrastructure for short term adaptation is a rational thing to do. And not every person is going to fit into categories as neat as male or female in this process, so giving them a third blank slate option might be helpful. Maybe it won't be.

To use your civil rights analogy, this is akin to creating a third water fountain for good people who're ready for change now, and relabeling the "Whites Only" fountain - "Old Fashioned Racist Whites Only. "

I'm talking myself out of it now .

I'm being pragmatic. One way to educate people is to expose them to stuff gradually (and ten years for a massive societal change is hardly dragging it out). This isn't a bunch of "settled law" it's a transitional point in society where we are as a culture abandoning many of the irrational strictures and ideas of the past. Creating appropriate infrastructure for short term adaptation is a rational thing to do. And not every person is going to fit into categories as neat as male or female in this process, so giving them a third blank slate option might be helpful. Maybe it won't be.

To use your civil rights analogy, this is akin to creating a third water fountain for good people who're ready for change now, and relabeling the "Whites Only" fountain - "Old Fashioned Racist Whites Only. "

I'm talking myself out of it now .

Creating a third bath/locker-room for trans (fourth if you count family ones) isn't an answer, or certainly not one that will lead to greater societal acceptance. We don't make separate facilities for heterosexuals who are afraid gay people will rape them if they see them naked. When and how would society decide that trans would finally be allowed into the proper facilities?

Syriel

Please fill in the blank:

"Trans women are disproportionately more likely to be victimized by men because [blank]."

Trans women: the new racists™

Trans women fear men because they are among the least privileged people in the US, and the most likely group to victimize them would be men.

Saying "most likely to be victimized by friends and family" would be the most accurate.

I don't know how homosexual males and females feel. Only that heterosexual males like looking at naked women.

I never said we are ruled by hormones. I said we are programmed to look at attractive women. Sometimes this is deliberate, but other times it's reflexive.

Well, I don't know the statistics on sexual assault at nude beaches, but I can tell you straight up that a lot men are staring at those naked women. I've been to topless beaches a couple of times, and every time I went my male companions were checking out the women. Even talking about it with other men who have been to them centers around what they saw.

So knowing this, and back to my original point, can't you see why women would be uncomfortable changing in a locker room full of men?

Guess what? Straight, lesbian, gay, bi and transgender men and women all appreciate a good looking member of whatever floats their boat.

There is a big difference between seeing someone who is naked and staring at them for minutes on end. People think sexual thoughts about others ALL THE TIME, even when clothed. But the vast majority of them are able to act like adults and don't stare and drool.

When you're in the locker room, you're there to change and get back out to start your workout (or change and go home). Someone who's at a nude beach is there to enjoy the day; not try to hook up like they're at a swingers convention.

Is there the occasional idiot perv who crosses the line? Probably. But that same person would likely be acting the same even if everyone on the beach had swimsuits on. It's simply not an issue when everyone is naked.

Really, the idea of nudity being shameful is a religious thing. That's why you see it as a common belief in the US as well as Middle Eastern countries. Europe is a whole isn't nearly as puritanical as America when it comes to the naked body.

Scientists should study your mind if you can seriously control what catches your attention. Thats some next level shit

No, it's pretty basic stuff. You can notice an attractive person without staring at them.

Just because the brain goes "Holy shit, they're HOT!" doesn't mean the body has to go into full on oogle mode. Most normal people (of any gender) are smart enough to realize that they don't go around acting on primal urges 24/7.

You have obviously never been in a gay gym locker room.

I've never been in a "gay gym" as far as I know (whatever that is), but I've been in gyms that had mixed gay and straight clientele. Never saw or heard of anyone getting assaulted in the locker room. Occasionally got looks from both men and women, but that's just human nature. No one ever said anything obscene or made any advances at the gym because they all knew that people were there to just work out.

If I asked you to post a photo of you naked, assuming you wouldn't be banned, would you do it?

Are you able to articulate why the answer to that question is no?

Cut me a check somewhere in the high five figures and I'd do it.

Wouldn't give it away for free, but certainly not ashamed of my body. If people want to pay for photos, I wouldn't have an issue obliging.

Most men who regularly go to a gym are focused on one thing: themselves. They also usually tend to be proud of their masculinity so the likelihood that they'll want to pretend to be a woman to perve on girls in female changing room is SLIM to NONE. And it's not like most of them have difficulty attracting the attention of the opposite sex to the point they have to resort doing pathetic shit like that.

Pretty much nails it here. This is true of most men and women who go to the gym. They're not looking to hook up. They're looking to better themselves (and usually help out anyone who needs it).

That's dangerous. There's a reason why separated bathrooms exist, the rape and harassment potential is too damn high to take the risk, not to mention health concerns.

Well, cis men are a danger. For both trans men and women, men are most often the ones who perpretrate violence against both. This is not to say that trans men should not be able to use male facilities, or that all cis men will become violent or harassing, but the risk is real enough that pre-op trans men should be able to go somewhere safe.

Except, it's not. Most sexual harassment, up to and including rape, comes from people who are known to the victim. Not strangers.

Unisex bathrooms have not lead to increased numbers of assault or rape in places where they have been introduced.

What about nudist colonies?

If you're looking for a group of people to be non-judgmental about body types, you're likely to find them there.

The crime could simply be "I wanna see women naked", which is far easier to get away with if you can pretend to be a transwoman.

If someone's going to be a creep, they're going to be a creep, regardless. If a man or woman is sitting in the bathroom today, just staring at naked people, they're going to get called out on it.

Your hypothetical doesn't really change that in any manner.

The world is full of assholes who do very evil things, but if you're going to assert that two ex-cons who murdered a transman, a straight woman and a straight guy are "typical men" then you're not really arguing with any sort of honesty.

Creating a third bath/locker-room for trans (fourth if you count family ones) isn't an answer, or certainly not one that will lead to greater societal acceptance. We don't make separate facilities for heterosexuals who are afraid gay people will rape them if they see them naked. When and how would society decide that trans would finally be allowed into the proper facilities?

The ultimate solution will likely be unisex bathrooms.

Yoshi

Well, cis men are a danger. For both trans men and women, men are most often the ones who perpretrate violence against both. This is not to say that trans men should not be able to use male facilities, or that all cis men will become violent or harassing, but the risk is real enough that pre-op trans men should be able to go somewhere safe.

I think this is rather sexist. It is right that physical violence correlates with male sex, but the reason is not gender identification, but hormones (and a weak mind or shit character on top of that). Pump a woman full with steroids and she is way more likely to be physically abusive - if you like anecdotes, see for instance http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/16/bodybuilder-dani-reardon-arrested_n_5828506.html . So if someone was particularly weary of this problem and wanted to protect herself from all people who are, due to their hormone level, more likely to attack them, it is logical to also be weary of genetical men who are transsexual, provided they don't have an ongoing hormone therapy.

Really, the idea of nudity being shameful is a religious thing. That's why you see it as a common belief in the US as well as Middle Eastern countries. Europe is a whole isn't nearly as puritanical as America when it comes to the naked body.
I would strongly recommend not to go on the street naked in Germany either, you will get arrested. Europe is not as religious as the US, but it still suffers a lot from the christian heritage wrt social rights (and I don't see how it is just to forbid people to be naked in public, considering they don't really harm anyone with that).

O C

Banned
This is a bit OT but if somebody wouldn't mind answering this it would be much appreciated :

How come it seems that more men trans to women, than women trans to men? Like, all the examples i can think of, of me coming across a trans person, either online on dating sites (to be clear i don't look for trans people, but there seems to be a few trans people in the womens list) or in real life, tends to be men > women trans.

Is this something that other trans people have experienced in the community?

*To note, my terminology might be a bit off, sorry if i offend, i've noticed you have to be very careful with how to word some statements wrt to trans threads. I'm a straight male so i...honestly have no idea how to identify those of other genders

This is a bit OT but if somebody wouldn't mind answering this it would be much appreciated :

How come it seems that more men trans to women, than women trans to men? Like, all the examples i can think of, of me coming across a trans person, either online on dating sites (to be clear i don't look for trans people, but there seems to be a few trans people in the womens list) or in real life, tends to be men > women trans.

*To note, my terminology might be a bit off, sorry if i offend, i've noticed you have to be very careful with how to word some statements wrt to trans threads. I'm a straight male so i...honestly have no idea how to identify those of other genders

I actually never heard of a ftm trans, but you see/hear about plenty of mtf trans.

Yrael

These are worth a read:

http://www.examiner.com/article/tra...here-more-trans-women-than-trans-men-part-one

http://www.examiner.com/article/tra...here-more-trans-women-than-trans-men-part-two

Well, biologically, ciswomen are very often born with just the two X chromosomes - so there's not much in terms of genetics to draw upon for male template traits. Cismen on the other hand got access to a X-chromosome, so it's easier to see how their brain might take on female traits and not vice-versa.

Could have just been an alt.

It isn't always clear but there does seem to be a very firm line drawn regarding the politics of gender identity discussion which is allowed by current moderation standards, which is essentially that these threads are for educating members on the transgender viewpoint and not for debate on what is acceptable or the validity of their opinions. It may not remain that way forever but for now it's probably not a good idea to try to start any intellectual debates.

O C

Banned
Could the "chop your dick off" be a psychological block for ftm trans? Like, even if you feel like a woman inside, chopping your dick off is...for me unimaganable but, for trans it must be a very very hard decision to make

Platy

but would still be considered females by everyone around them, wouldn't a ftm person want people to identify them as male?

Yes, but unless you walk with a sign .... passer by can't see the diference unike a 2m tall woman with broad shoulders

Specialy because they are invisible to the media, so this means that the general public probably don't even know their existence =P

Could the "chop your dick off" be a psychological block for ftm trans? Like, even if you feel like a woman inside, chopping your dick off is...for me unimaganable but, for trans it must be a very very hard decision to make

for MTF (the letters, which some people have problems with, mean "male to female" ... you said ftm which is a term for trans man) it is ridiculously easy to consider to "chop your dick off" (that is basicaly the "long story short" of gender dysphoria xD) .. the problem is more how good is the result after.

I guess by "ftm" you actually mean "mtf", but they don't "chop it off", if my understanding is correct, they kind of "reverse it", put it inside the body, making it a makeshift vaginal channel

but would still be considered females by everyone around them, wouldn't a ftm person want people to identify them as male?
google Buck Angel.

They exist, but with hormone treatment they tend to look like men.

Men who went through puberty have the give away signs like adams apple and the like that give it away, women don't, but if you see a guy without a adams apple, first thing is you won't notice, second thing is you won't suspect he's a chick.

And I'm guessing these people like their anonymity. I'm not sure there's a statistic dictating more men cross to women than the opposite (although I've long suspected that to be the case, there's no data that I know of)

O C

Banned
Yes, but unless you walk with a sign .... passer by can't see the diference unike a 2m tall woman with broad shoulders

Specialy because they are invisible to the media, so this means that the general public probably don't even know their existence =P

for MTF (the letters, which some people have problems with, mean "male to female" ... you said ftm which is a term for trans man) it is ridiculously easy to consider to "chop your dick off" (that is basicaly the "long story short" of gender dysphoria xD) .. the problem is more how good is the result after.

I guess by "ftm" you actually mean "mtf", but they don't "chop it off", if my understanding is correct, they kind of "reverse it", put it inside the body, making it a makeshift vaginal channel

Yeah sorry, mtf. Cheers for the clarification.

Confused myself for a second there

One gender is able to wear both "gender clothes" without being noticed.

Some mtf get plastic surgery, wouldn't ftm be able to get the "opposite" surgery ? I'm not an expert in surgery though, don't know if you can remove the whole things, I know there is mammal reduction but that would be a bit more than just that.

Fliesen

sure, they'd "want" that.

but there's an easy low-commitment low-risk middle-ground for those who don't dare to go all the way.
Cut your hair short, wear "boyish" clothes. That's at least "somewhat" accepted. They might think you're a tomboy or "some sort of boyish lesbian"

There's no such "compromise" for women who were born male. If you're not "blessed" to be very androgynous physically, you're going to be a dude wearing a skirt and makeup.
There's no "somewhat safe" inbetween for mtf transgendered people.

Jesus, did you seriously believe that's even remotely how they do it? as in - they basically amputate your manhood? ... if not you, there's certainly people who actually do, btw :/

Some mtf get plastic surgery, wouldn't ftm be able to get the "opposite" surgery ? I'm not an expert in surgery though, don't know if you can remove the whole things, I know there is mammal reduction but that would be a bit more than just that.

what do you mean? usually (and please anyone correct me if i'm wrong) - they can "make" you a penis by using tissue / flesh from your lower arm or thigh . nerve endings / feelings and all - they're connecting those to your former clitoris to allow for stimulation, even? You still need some sort of pump to get an errection though?
Correct me if i'm totally wrong with this, please.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It isn't always clear but there does seem to be a very firm line drawn regarding the politics of gender identity discussion which is allowed by current moderation standards, which is essentially that these threads are for educating members on the transgender viewpoint and not for debate on what is acceptable or the validity of their opinions. It may not remain that way forever but for now it's probably not a good idea to try to start any intellectual debates.

Hiya. What do you mean by intellectual debates?

I'm happy to discuss and answer questions but I'll admit there's a fine - and difficult - line for curious people in terms of the tone of questioning and when that crosses over into suspicion / cynicism regarding something which is so (unfortunately) painful and fundamental to my life.

I imagine it to be a bit like gay rights to be honest. In the past there was suspicion and cynicism around the mere natural existence of homosexuality. It feels like that's where we are with trans issues generally. Hopefully over time this can get easier and that difficult line becomes easier for everyone.

I do really feel for cishet people trying to wrap their head around it. It's bloody difficult for most trans people so it can't be easy for them!

what do you mean? usually (and please anyone correct me if i'm wrong) - they can "make" you a penis by using tissue / flesh from your lower arm or thigh . nerve endings / feelings and all - they're connecting those to your former clitoris to allow for stimulation, even? You still need some sort of pump to get an errection though?
Correct me if i'm totally wrong with this, please.

No I'm talking about tits, he was talking about clothes so I assumed he was talking about breasts being a "problem" if you want to look male.

Yoshi

Edit:

Since this post got me banned I should probably clarify I was talking about the judgmental woman deserving to be banned, not the trans woman.

Wow, this is some super serious moderation fuck-up, happy to see you unbanned / it corrected.

OK, I hope I word this question properly: What does gender identity mean beyond "I have or would like a body of a male / female type and therefore am male / female"? I have probably made clear in the past that to me the concept seems very strange, because I don't see how I would identify as male or female other than taking a look at the bodily features I was born with (or having a checkup of the chromosomes). What does it entail to be female or male from a transgender perspective? Because sure as hell interests, hobbies, ways of dressing and behaving are interchangable anyway and are mostly social constructs anyway. For instance, I'm male and hate passive sports (e.g. watching football), have absolutely no interest in cars and hate violence, I also hate stereotypical male white games like shooters, sports games and racing simulations. So I guess this cannot be the point because otherwise I'd need to feel the problem myself (and basically, if I woke up with a female body tomorrow, I'd not be releived, but, disregarding all kinds of practical issues, like being used to a certain body strength, using urinals and having a straight fiancée who would probably not be happy about that change, I wouldn't mind either).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Wow, this is some super serious moderation fuck-up, happy to see you unbanned / it corrected.

OK, I hope I word this question properly: What does gender identity mean beyond "I have or would like a body of a male / female type and therefore am male / female"? I have probably made clear in the past that to me the concept seems very strange, because I don't see how I would identify as male or female other than taking a look at the bodily features I was born with (or having a checkup of the chromosomes). What does it entail to be female or male from a transgender perspective? Because sure as hell interests, hobbies, ways of dressing and behaving are interchangable anyway and are mostly social constructs anyway. For instance, I'm male and hate passive sports (e.g. watching football), have absolutely no interest in cars and hate violence, I also hate stereotypical male white games like shooters, sports games and racing simulations. So I guess this cannot be the point because otherwise I'd need to feel the problem myself (and basically, if I woke up with a female body tomorrow, I'd not be releived, but, disregarding all kinds of practical issues, like being used to a certain body strength, using urinals and having a straight fiancée who would probably not be happy about that change, I wouldn't mind either).

Hey. It's a fair (and common) question. I'll try and answer it as honestly as I can. It's only my own experience though.

For me, it's not just a societal / cultural thing. I identified as female almost as soon as my memories begin! Once I became aware that I was being treated as a boy I began to pray every night that id grow up into a girl. I used to try and erm "amend my down below" bits even at like age 6 or 7.

When puberty hit it was clear that I was 'underdeveloping'. I was prescribed growth hormone injections to try and make my body develop within normal male range but they didn't really work. The sex effects of puberty did eventually hit and that's when I knew I was trans. I'd define it as a fundamental, unavoidable conviction of one's gender and a total disconnection from the body one has. I've never really 'used my male body' and have simply had no interest in it.

All of the questions you might ask - "are you mentally ill?", "why are you like this?", "is it to do with your parents?" Ive asked myself a thousand times and never found any answers. I've been through loads of psychiatrists, been to several clinics and even been interred in a psych ward. It's just the way I am, I guess.

From the medical side I had a number of in depth interrogations with the NHS gender clinic here in the UK with consultant psychs who are experts in this. I was diagnosed with "gender identity dysphoria' and prescribed hormone replacement therapy. Since starting (back in er 2007!) I've noticed that it just fees natural to me.Before I transitioned I was in and out of hospitals, suicidal, confused. Now I just get on with life - it's still bloody hard and I wouldn't wish being trans on my worst enemy but I'm lucky. I 'pass' as female, I've lived as female since about 2006, I have a loving partner and a career. I'm just a person, you know?

Tbh I'm confused about the whole trans thing myself. I've read theories that it relates to development in the womb and brain sex and they feel right to me - I mean it's not a conscious thing. That confidence and assurance (ie it's just a fact I'm a man!) thats how I feel about being a woman.

Hope that's useful. I can understand why it makes some people a bit uncomfortable. I just wish it didn't and it was more openly acknowledged as just a 'real thing'. Think there's a long way to go though.

Hiya. What do you mean by intellectual debates?

I'm happy to discuss and answer questions but I'll admit there's a fine - and difficult - line for curious people in terms of the tone of questioning and when that crosses over into suspicion / cynicism regarding something which is so (unfortunately) painful and fundamental to my life.

I imagine it to be a bit like gay rights to be honest. In the past there was suspicion and cynicism around the mere natural existence of homosexuality. It feels like that's where we are with trans issues generally. Hopefully over time this can get easier and that difficult line becomes easier for everyone.

I do really feel for cishet people trying to wrap their head around it. It's bloody difficult for most trans people so it can't be easy for them!

You're far too nice, now I feel bad for certain posts I've made in this thread D:

I'll try to give some answers to this, but I also want to say I think this question points to probably the biggest stumbling block in trans acceptance/understanding. Like Christine pointed out in here, the idea of personal gender identity is something that it seems many (most? almost all?) people never have to deal with. It is further complicated by the facts that the feelings of discomfort can be quite unique to each person and that, well, we don't have the most solid of understandings of what causes it. Like, have you ever tried to describe a flavour or smell or other sensation to someone but ended up at "Well, you have to experience it yourself"? That's largely the issue we tend to have as trans people explaining this to people without the experience.

OK, on to actually trying to answer "What is gender identity?". I will start this by saying that I personally tend to feel that what we tend to put under "gender identity" may well be multiple distinct factors at play. There is the more concrete stuff like the actual external configuration of the body (Body shape, genitals, gonads, etc.) and hormonal situation as well as the more nebulous stuff where the "I just feel this way" factor starts kicking into high gear. I'll only talk about the body side here because even living some of the other stuff personally hasn't given me a good ability to explain the feelings related to them (And I don't even fully understand them myself).

In regards to the body stuff, one possible explanation for that kind of identification is that the brain has some sort of internal conception of how the body should, in general, be laid out. A sense of self, in a way. Under this idea, people would normally not be really aware of this conception or identity since everything is as expected. However, if the conception is expecting a specific body feature, such as (no) breasts, a specific genital configuration, body shape, etc. then the brain would start saying "Hang on, something is wrong here" and this could lead to sensations such distress, confusion, and detachment (e.g. It's not uncommon for trans women, myself included, to feel that this penis thing is there but doesn't actually belong to us and, in a sense, isn't part of our actual body). In this sense, there is a sort of body gender identity that matches for most people but is mismatched for a small segment of the population.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You're far too nice, now I feel bad for certain posts I've made in this thread D:

I'm not going to go back and read them!

But dude don't worry about it. Despite what the Internet may tell you , as a trans woman I'm (mostly) more concerned about things like what I'm having for my tea, what its gonna be like fighting Ornstein and Smough again and whether I'm gonna fit into the skinny trousers I bought a couple of weeks ago. It'll Just be nice when all this kind of stuff isn't a discussion anymore, people don't bat an eyelid when I come out about my history and we can all just get on with life.

Amalthea

Banned
I wish not to have fought my feelings as a child. I knew what was up but I was such an obedient and spineless child.
And the only clues my parents got were about their own infantile insecurities.

I know that several posters have already given their thoughts on this subject, but I did some googling as I was reading through this entire thread and found this blog http://www.sophiagubb.com/what-does-it-feel-like-to-be-transgender/

Reading that allowed me to overcome the disconnect my brain always had about this issue. I thought that if gender identities are a social construct, then doesn't that mean that trans individuals just want to be accepted within those social norms? I thought, why would a trans woman need surgery? Why can't she just wear dresses and makeup and do "female" things?

I mean, I knew from many posters on NeoGAF that I was wrong, I just didn't know why. But that link, along with the previous posts in this thread and many others are definitely opening my eyes.

CDX

Update to this news story

The banned woman is now suing Planet Fitness
http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2015/03/woman_files_lawsuit_against_pl_1.html

The transgender-friendly locker room policy of national gym chain Planet Fitness has led to a lawsuit in Michigan.

Yvette Cormier of Midland County is suing Planet Fitness in Midland County Circuit Court for more than $25,000. The Kallman Legal Group of Lansing is representing Cormier.

[...]

"Ms. Cormier was wrongfully denied the benefits of her contract with Planet Fitness and wrongfully denied the use of the public accommodations at Defendant's gym because she objected to Defendant's unknown policy," a press release from Kallman Legal Group states. "The policy allows men who self-identify as women to use the women's facilities, including the women's locker room and showers."

The law firm also states that the case is also relevant to the possible expansion of Michigan's civil rights laws.

"Mrs. Cormier has filed this lawsuit to protect Michigan women and children and to hold Planet Fitness accountable for its irresponsible policy and actions," the press release states. "This case further illustrates the potential harm caused by adding the proposed new categories of sexual orientation/gender identity to the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act."

[...]

The 15-page summons and complaint outlines Cormier's telling of the events leading up to her policy cancellation. It also claims that Cormier has suffered in several ways because of the membership cancellation.

The complaint lists the alleged damages she suffered as "loss of use of gym facilities," "fear about using the gym facilities," "embarrassment and humiliation," "severe emotional distress" and "damage to reputation."

It also includes the line "all other damages that reasonably flow from Defendants' outrageous behavior."

The lawsuit claims Cormier's rights were violated in seven counts, each of which requests restitution in excess of $25,000, plus all applicable costs.

The counts include breach of contract, an exemplary damages claim, invasion of privacy, intentional infliction of emotional distress and three counts of sexual harassment under the Elliott-Larsen Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom