• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women's March on Washington |OT| An intersectional march for all in 600+ cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

I want to note this was maybe the cleanest protest I've seen relative to the massive crowds. A much, much different scene than some of the antiwar protests in the Bush years where there were people stomping all over the gardens and leaving graffiti on buildings. Turnout was way above expectations, but the crowd was able to self organize and maintain order.

I want to note this was maybe the cleanest protest I've seen relative to the massive crowds. A much, much different scene than some of the antiwar protests in the Bush years where there were people stomping all over the gardens and leaving graffiti on buildings. Turnout was way above expectations, but the crowd was able to self organize and maintain order.

Their methods need to be studied. What they managed to pull off here in just over two months notice was no small feat.

People didn't protest Obama relection
My conservative friends are touting this as evidence that they support whomever is president.
So when is the next march? There have got to be more in the pipeline after the success of this.
This was lightning in a bottle. Anything less in the sequel will have critics saying that people are embracing Trump. Remember, Trump's election means a total repudiation of Obama's ideas.
I give all the credit to it being so woman-centric. No arrests, no fights, etc. Maybe we should try electing a woman to lead us some time.

mjp2417

Banned
I love everything about this

Taking a quick break to recharge my phone, I witnessed something that gives me hope for America’s future.
As a woman with a Trump scarf on climbed into the backseat of a black Suburban — her driver standing by her side, eagerly waiting for her to sit down so he could close the door — she kept lunging out the vehicle to give her commentary on the scene around her. She was clearly disgusted by the marchers surrounding her car. At one point, the woman in the Suburban said to a passerby:

“If you people had jobs, you wouldn’t be out here doing this mess.”
As this happened, another woman walked by and, without pausing to look at the Chevrolet Suburbanite, said:
“Bitch, it’s Saturday.”
Today was a great day.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/01/a-scene-from-the-d-c-womens-march.html

Sean C

Heh, apparently Joshua Kushner, the brother of Trump's son-in-law and right hand man Jared Kushner, was attending the Washington march ("observing", so he claimed).

stuminus3

Just got back from the Women's March in D.C.
Dropped friends off, came home and took a hot shower. I saw so many beautiful people out there today. We marched for around 6 hours. I felt so damn proud being there in person, walking united with so many beautiful souls. It truly gave me life and much needed hope. To make a united stand and make our voices be heard, and to do it with such grace just makes me feel warm inside. Lots of instances where I got really emotional being in the presence of people from all ethnicity and creed, walking united as one body. A greater energy is felt, a greater conscious energy and understanding. Just being there and looking around, I saw it in everyone's eyes. No place that I'd rather have been than where I was today in D.C.
Crashing now, will try to upload pics later. Have a wonderful night, you beautiful people. I love you all.
Thank you!

Volimar

This thread is a godsend for me. My seasonal depression has been trying its damnedest to rear its ugly head especially during this inauguration week. But seeing all this strength gives me some hope.

Atlantis

C2vnYbJVIAAGWRU.jpg

This is awesome.

Thank you to whoever was able to protest.

So I am assuming these types of protest going to be set up again for the future? Def make to make time to join in.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

I didn't take many photos.

Portland, OR. Estimates around 100k. I've never been to a protest, rally, any sort of mass political activity until today. A few moments had a weird, music festival sort of vibe, but for the most part it felt like the start of something.

Tomorrow, I'm finding a local grassroots group and setting up a recurring donation. Until I get better at the whole "people" thing that'll be my best way to keep the momentum flowing.

This is a nice symbolic gesture. However, if these people really want to make a difference they should go move to the swing states and vote in 2018.

SexyFish

Banned
gtvt27U.png

Knoxville, TN.

First was estimated to only be a couple hundred of people.

Ended up having 3000-5000 march downtown. Was great. Had multiple people mention registering and volunteering with the local democratic chapter.

KHarvey16

Every swing state has relatively liberal cities. And yeah, it definitely requires sacrifice. I'd move but I already live in a soon to be swing state (Texas) - gotta keep the demographic trend blue.

How do you think you encourage people to act differently? That these matches were much bigger than expected and grew as time went on should make it obvious why it's more than symbolic. These are necessary.

How do you think you encourage people to act differently? That these matches were much bigger than expected and grew as time went on should make it obvious why it's more than symbolic. These are necessary.

The marches are nice, but Clinton won by millions of votes. It's already clear that Americans don't like Trump in general. Do you want more marches or do you want to win 2018 and 2020? If it's the latter, there's one guaranteed way to make it happen: liberals migrating to swing states. This is basically the difference between republicans and democrats. though repugnant, the republicans do whatever to win elections. democrats take more symbolic, but ultimately useless action. in virtually every measure of power, they've been on the decline. besides, liberal cities in swing states are drastically cheaper than cities in deep blue states.

The marches are nice, but Clinton won by millions of votes. It's already clear that Americans don't like Trump in general. Do you want more marches or do you want to win 2018 and 2020? If it's the latter, there's one guaranteed way to make it happen: liberals migrating to swing states. This is basically the difference between republicans and democrats. though repugnant, the republicans do whatever to win elections. democrats take more symbolic, but ultimately useless action. in virtually every measure of power, they've been on the decline. besides, liberal cities in swing states are drastically cheaper than cities in deep blue states.

It's bizarre that you're going in so hard on something you aren't willing to do yourself. Texas isn't going to be a swing state by 2018...

Deep down I think you know "move to swing states" is not a reasonable solution. And frankly I think it's preposterous to suggest Republicans could execute a similar strategy either. Long distance moves are completely beyond the means of too many of their constituents. Not to mention long distance moves to places where you don't know anybody can be one of the most disruptive life events you can throw at a person. You are never gonna move the dial in either direction with this.

KHarvey16

If these continue they will lead directly to successful elections in 2018 and 2020. These kind of sources of encouragement are far, far more helpful than wishing and hoping for people to strategically move across the country. Hanging your hopes on that as the only useful action is utterly ridiculous.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I marched today. Wasn't in DC. I showed up early and stood at the rally point as waves of people of all walks of life standing for all kinds of issues washed in, teard up for like 20 minutes. Felt good, first time in awhile.

Marched for a few hours in the rain.

Worth it.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I marched today. Wasn't in DC. I showed up early and stood at the rally point as waves of people of all walks of life standing for all kinds of issues washed in, teard up for like 20 minutes. Felt good, first time in awhile.

Marched for a few hours in the rain.

Worth it.

West Coast?

If these continue they will lead directly to successful elections in 2018 and 2020. These kind of sources of encouragement are far, far more helpful than wishing and hoping for people to strategically move across the country. Hanging your hopes on that as the only useful action is utterly ridiculous.
I highly doubt these marches will do anything in terms of affecting the 2020 election. Almost all of the momentum will probably be gone in a few weeks. If I'm wrong I'll definitely give you props (I just set a reminder).

It's bizarre that you're going in so hard on something you aren't willing to do yourself. Texas isn't going to be a swing state by 2018...

Deep down I think you know "move to swing states" is not a reasonable solution. And frankly I think it's preposterous to suggest Republicans could execute a similar strategy either. Long distance moves are completely beyond the means of too many of their constituents. Not to mention long distance moves to places where you don't know anybody can be one of the most disruptive life events you can throw at a person. You are never gonna move the dial in either direction with this.
I'm not saying it's reasonable, or even that they'll do it. I'm just saying moving would be the most effective way to protest if they're serious. Anyone can go outside and walk. Unfortunately, it doesn't win elections.

True, that did just happen with the Tea Party

Fizzled overnight
I fail to see the equivalence between these marches and the Tea Party? Care to elaborate?

I highly doubt these marches will do anything in terms of affecting the 2020 election. Almost all of the momentum will probably be gone in a few weeks. If I'm wrong I'll definitely give you props (I just set a reminder).

True, that did just happen with the Tea Party

Fizzled overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom