• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Knuf

Having 100% the game on hard I have to say that this game - especially the bosses - is a bit too easy for my tastes, with the only real pain in the ass being the multiple ninjas coming at you while there are those heads throwing fire, too.
Great remake nevertheless, really enjoyed it, even though WB in Monster Land is the much better game - could very well be nostalgia goggles at work here, I don't know - so I really hope that at the very least that Arcade Archives port gets eventually done.
Look forward to Monster Boy in the meantime!

You can keep exploring after the credits roll. You'll also have access to Hu-Man form that... well, doesn't really do anything special 'cept look fabulous.

Not only that, once you get access to Hu-man form you can also go grab
the last Charm Stone

Crispy

Finished the game yesterday, was a bit lost at the end, but finally found out what I had to do to get to the last area. I missed some unknown area's though, so I'll still go after those!

Going into this game blind, I really didn't know what to expect. Now i'll be keeping a close eye on these developers, absolutely loved it! Am I the only one imagining the greatness that would be Zelda 2 remade like this?

Finally started after finishing Persona 5 and just wanted to pop in and say this game is incredible and I love it.

Struggling against Captain Dragon, didn't even hit him once, lol.

Psxphile

Is there a list of all the special effects some gear grant?

Here's an updated version of one I made earlier in the thread:

Gallic Sword = Increases drop rate of sub-weapons
Magical Saber = turn Star wall tiles into blocks
Lucky Sword = doubles money gained from enemies or chests
Tasmanian Sword = instant form switching (Jump and Press Up + Attack)

Dragon Mail = protect from lava damage
Prince Armor = increase drop rate of hearts
Hades Armor = restores life once when all hearts depleted when worn (might break)

Haven't confirmed yet in the remake but Hades Armor is supposed to break once it brings you back to life in the original, suffice to say it should be the same here too.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The Hades armor doesn't break in my experience. However, it won't revive you more than once per session. It's essentially a free potion.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished it. What's the use of the stone I found in
the unknown level?
It has a counter next to it, so there are more?

I really appreciated this game. Its like Adventure of Link but without the bullshit aspects of it and better combat. No really, the platforming was really solid for an RPG hybrid of its time.

So anyway, how are the other Monster World games? I played Monster Land a couple of days ago and found it a bit unforgiving but still a fun game.

Krelian

Finished it. What's the use of the stone I found in
the unknown level?
It has a counter next to it, so there are more?
There is one Unknown level for each character
. You can still find them after finishing the game, as far as I know. Once you have all of them
, you can buy the Gallus Sword from the vendor you reach when you break the blocks on the ground in the village.

So I just got the ability to break blocks with the sword and turn stars into blocks. Um, where am I supposed to get next?
I think you already found the way if you found the magical sword. Go down the well blocked by breakable blocks and go in the leftmost hole down there as Lion-Man.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Can someone help? Just got turned into
fishman and it seems like I'm supposed to be doing something on the beach but I can't access anywhere new...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Can someone help? Just got turned into
fishman and it seems like I'm supposed to be doing something on the beach but I can't access anywhere new...

I am stuck here too. Unless I am missing something obvious, the only way to progress is by breaking certain blocks, which I cannot do. I have explored every available option seemingly and am out of ideas. Something obvious I am blind to has to be at play here.

I am stuck here too. Unless I am missing something obvious, the only way to progress is by breaking certain blocks, which I cannot do. I have explored every available option seemingly and am out of ideas. Something obvious I am blind to has to be at play here.

Go to desert and go opposite direction of sign (I believe right). It'll take you to lava area.

Bydobob

Go to desert and go opposite direction of sign (I believe right). It'll take you to lava area.

Funny seeing people have difficulty with this - I had the opposite problem. I'm so tuned into going left to right with these old games I didn't even notice the directional sign and got stuck trying to complete this at the very beginning as Dragon. When I went back as Fishman I was already an expert!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
There is one Unknown level for each character
. You can still find them after finishing the game, as far as I know. Once you have all of them
, you can buy the Gallus Sword from the vendor you reach when you break the blocks on the ground in the village.

Thanks Krelian. Probably won't seek out those levels, feels okay to leave it here.

btw I loved the art gallery they put together for this game. It's big, plenty of cool art and I loved the music recording sessions at the end. Only missing a few art panels, I guess you get these by
beating the unknown levels.

Falcs

Banned
Just finished this. So good playing this game again after all these years. I was about 7 when I first got this, and I still remember almost everything about it. I played it back then so many times. Though I remember it been a lot more difficult. I guess I'm just a lot better at games than when I was as a child.

I really wish more old games were remade like this.

Svejk

Can you switch between the girl and boy on the fly too? Or once you pick one, you have to play through with your initial choice?

bounchfx

Easily one of the best remakes I've ever seen if not the best overall. First time playing the game and wow, shit was so fucking ahead of it's time

I think I'm at the final boss now if there's nothing left after you get human form back. Wasn't able to hit him once when I fought last, gotta try again

Also I have the Tasmanian sword and was wondering what it did. How the hell are you supposed to figure out how to use it to swap? Lol. That's rad though I'm glad I read the the thread.

Also I only found one hidden zone. Surprised the hell out of me. Had no idea there was more. What are the charms used for? There's one vendor that requires a stone or something but I don't have one and it's named different from the thing I found.

Crash331

Go to the desert and go all the way right. You will get an item that lets you progress in the well after that.

I'm close to the end I think, but so stuck. Just got the lion and the Tasmanian Sword that lets me switch between all the characters, went to the samurai-themed place and I'm just getting my ass kicked so hard. Am I in the wrong place? Or do I just need to "git gud"?

steveovig

I've gotten the
Thunder Ring
and
Muramasa Blade
. I'm the Mouse man, and now am I supposed to go to the
Underground
and get through that? I think I've beaten three bosses altogether. I'm having some major trouble getting through that area. I barely make it to the area with the
ninjas
and they just destroy me.

SkylineRKR

I've gotten the
Thunder Ring
and
Muramasa Blade
. I'm the Mouse man, and now am I supposed to go to the
Underground
and get through that? I think I've beaten three bosses altogether. I'm having some major trouble getting through that area. I barely make it to the area with the
ninjas
and they just destroy me.

No. If Mouse is your last transformation, then you missed 2 others before you should tackle that area.

Psxphile

I'm close to the end I think, but so stuck. Just got the lion and the Tasmanian Sword that lets me switch between all the characters, went to the samurai-themed place and I'm just getting my ass kicked so hard. Am I in the wrong place? Or do I just need to "git gud"?
There's Lion-specific equipment you can buy that will beef him up. The Muramasa Blade is one, there's also the Master Shield you can buy from the shop on the other side of the beach area. Also don't be afraid to abuse sub-weapons, the boomerang especially is useful in that area to keep the enemies from overwhelming you. As long as you catch it on its return, you can use the same one repeatedly.

Pro-Tip: Just before the boss room to the right of the door is a hidden door where you can restore health.

No. If Mouse is your last transformation, then you missed 2 others before you should tackle that area.
No, if he's got the Thunder Ring then he at least has Pirahna Man. He'll need Lion-man though, which means going through the sea area beneath the beach. He should be able to smash the blocks covering the entrance now. EDIT: Right, you're stuck as Mouse Man. Break the floating block inside the building w/ the shop on top to reveal a hidden transformation room.

Psxphile

Yea, I found some transformation block, so I should become the fish man and go into the beach area some and look around?

Makes sense, right? That should have been the obvious thing to do from the start now that you can swim but the game would have you travel to lava central first to get the ring which is a bit counter-intuitive but whatevs.

steveovig

Seems reasonable. Did you already get the Master Shield from the beach house shop?

I went and bought that and beat the next boss to get Hawk Man. Now, I'm kinda just BSing around. I found some
door in the sky
that led to a crazy dungeon where I died. It wasn't hard for me until I got to some stupid ninjas. I only had 2 hearts by then, out of 5 or 6.

Psxphile

Yeah, that's the game's final area. You'll want to be as prepped as possible for that. Now that you can fly there's all kinds of secret areas you can access, mostly around the main hub.

So I decided to replay the original SMS game instead of just playing the Switch version with retro graphics on just to see the difference in mechanics and presentation.

1. The 16:9 resolution was a god send on the Switch remake. I kept getting hurt by projectiles shot by offscreen enemies I could not react to fast enough on the SMS version.

2. The charm point system is incredibly arbitrary and adds nothing to the game. I'm glad it's gone in the remake.

3. The sub weapon being mapped to dedicated button on the Switch version pressing the jump button while crouching on the SMS is great. Lizard form could not effectively use some subweapons on the SMS.

4. I think the game runs in 30 FPS on the SMS and runs in 60 on the Switch? I might be wrong.

5. Boss battles on the SMS are harder just because you can't switch gear or subweapons when you're fighting them.

D.Lo

Just 100%ed it finally.

I said early in the thread but I just can't believe how much the exact same controls work so much better with animation 'tells'. The only real control issue now is the broken multi-knockback issues, especially with bosses.

Really sets a new standard for remakes, puts stuff like Duck Tales to shame. Beautiful art and music, great QOL improvements and nice little bonuses like Wonder Girl. I hope they do the whole series.

I think the game runs in 30 FPS on the SMS and runs in 60 on the Switch? I might be wrong.
Actually yeah maybe not 30fps but it's choppy somehow?

SkylineRKR

The final area is ridiculously easy if you:

Go back to the castle all the way to the right of the village. Grab the legendary sword from the boss room, re enter for a cash bonus. Grab the armor or shield while killing enemies on the way out. And buy the last item from the hidden shop above the well.

With that, on Normal at least, I didn't even come close to dying. Would've beat it on 4 hearts as well. Also had unused hades armor and 3 potions left.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The final area is ridiculously easy if you:

Go back to the castle all the way to the right of the village. Grab the legendary sword from the boss room, re enter for a cash bonus. Grab the armor or shield while killing enemies on the way out. And buy the last item from the hidden shop above the well.

With that, on Normal at least, I didn't even come close to dying. Would've beat it on 4 hearts as well. Also had unused hades armor and 3 potions left.

Yeah the best set of gear is a big help, along with having your hearts maxed.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I need keys! I purchased one from a shop and wasted it on that stupid locked room in the air.....so where can I get two more?

Kweh

After you get the stone charm for
Hu-man, how are you suppose to get out? I had to return to the title screen, that seemed a bit weird.

Psxphile

Hu-man, how are you suppose to get out? I had to return to the title screen, that seemed a bit weird.

? Just head back the way you came... oh, do you mean that crouch-high gap in the wall? I slid under it full tilt like I was playing a 2D Mario. Get far enough in and stand up to pop up on the other side.

Though quitting to title and reloading your save works too.

From memory, there's a hidden door near the one to go into the room with the stone, it takes you back out above where the doors are. If ever in doubt, press up everywhere looking for hidden doors haha!

The walking back out of the new areas thing just seemed weird to me anyway.

Vena

I don't know why, but I hit a wall on the Daimiyo segment, but then I finished the rest afterwards pretty easily. Really good little game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What am I missing about the volcano? You guys said to head here after
turning into the fish
but there are parts where I seemingly just have to run through lava taking damage and that doesn't seem right?

Psxphile

I'm upto the Pirate guy, any tips? Also is there any easy way to buy potions? Found a shop but it's a trek to get there

At the point you're at you can get two free ones in the desert area. Head left towards the pyramid, drop down into the underground lake, head all the way to the left and enter the chest room for the first. Exit, head up and over the pyramid, enter the Sphinx, smash the blocks and fall in to a secret room. The last chest at the far end contains the second. To exit the room, just hold Up anywhere and a door will appear. The secret room only lets you open one chest at a time, so keep re-entering to open them all.

Quitting to title and reloading your save will refresh all of these chests and others like them in the game.

bock

Nope, you are committed to your choice.

In a end-game save, when stepping on the transformation platform with Hawk-Man,
if you hold UP + both buttons (similar to the Tasmanian Sword combo) your character with change into the opposite human character you were before, so you can transition from Hu-Man to Hu-Girl and vice versa this way.

Psxphile

In a end-game save, when stepping on the transformation platform with Hawk-Man,
if you hold UP + both buttons (similar to the Tasmanian Sword combo) your character with change into the opposite human character you were before, so you can transition from Hu-Man to Hu-Girl and vice versa this way.

Neat.

AmyS

For those have haven't see the GamePro and VG&CE reviews of WB3 The Dragon's Trap and Dragon's Curse, enjoy.

XLHkj27.jpg
BWuEJMg.jpg

9x1h6jv.jpg

I remember seeing a glimpse Dragon's Curse for TurboGrafx-16 on a looping VHS display at Toys R Us. Was the first time I saw the extra backgrounds added to the boss fights, and was like whoa, I want this game!

Top Bottom