• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Plum

Bought the game thinking it'd be a fun romp.

Boy was I wrong.

I'm only young, I wasn't bought up to play this sort of platformer. The desert level took me about 7-8 times to complete as, even though I could ace the early parts, those rooms with the goddamn fire-breathing stone faces fucked me up. Then the Jungle came and I just can't handle these frogs. Having to start all the way back in town after every death is frustrating as hell. I might start again on easy because I really love the art-style and music but just can't be doing with the rest of it.

Bydobob

Boy was I wrong.

I'm only young, I wasn't bought up to play this sort of platformer. The desert level took me about 7-8 times to complete as, even though I could ace the early parts, those rooms with the goddamn fire-breathing stone faces fucked me up. Then the Jungle came and I just can't handle these frogs. Having to start all the way back in town after every death is frustrating as hell. I might start again on easy because I really love the art-style and music but just can't be doing with the rest of it.

Compared to games of yesteryear this is a doddle. Replay easier sections of the game if you're struggling and amass lots of abilities and cash for upgrades. You'll be surprised how easy it becomes.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Boy was I wrong.

Yeah just make sure you have the best available equipment. Check the stores and see what you can afford. Also remember that every animal has a specific armor set that gives it a higher stat boost. No shame in looking where the heart containers are either, here

Palabrah

Boy was I wrong.

Exactly. Boy was I wrong too.

Game is gorgeous though

https://youtu.be/ns-V8Yb7wQY

Rodin

I am stuck at the temple with ninja and samurai and I need help. Any advice?
As usual, use lion man+best equipment. If you go there with mouse man it's much harder (but still doable).

Boy was I wrong.

Sounds like you just need to adjust to the timing needed to hit enemies without getting beaten. Can be tricky at first but it only takes a bit of practice, and tbh what you played until now is not the best part of the game. Jungle onwards is when it gets really good.

Plum

Compared to games of yesteryear this is a doddle. Replay easier sections of the game if you're struggling and amass lots of abilities and cash for upgrades. You'll be surprised how easy it becomes.

Yeah just make sure you have the best available equipment. Check the stores and see what you can afford. Also remember that every animal has a specific armor set that gives it a higher stat boost. No shame in looking where the heart containers are either, here

Sounds like you just need to adjust to the timing needed to hit enemies without getting beaten. Can be tricky at first but it only takes a bit of practice, and tbh what you played until now is not the best part of the game. Jungle onwards is when it gets really good.

Thanks for the advice. I found the first two hearts on my own and bought pretty much every piece of armour I could find so it's not like I'm underequipped. Guess this is just a case of "git gud," because I really do like what I've played so far, I just suck at it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Boy was I wrong.

This is so interesting to me. The game isn't easy, in the sense that you can definitely die if you're not careful - and I did die every now and then -, but having been brought up with this kind of game, I can't say the examples you're talking about gave me that much trouble. Even areas like the one with the ninjas, which apparently gives people a lot of trouble, had me go "that's it?".

I'm definitely not an expert player, but I guess if you haven't known 2D platformers back in the day they can seem more difficult than they really are. Out of curiosity, have you ever played, say, any of the early Mega Man games? What did you think of the difficulty in those?

Plum

This is so interesting to me. The game isn't easy, in the sense that you can definitely die if you're not careful - and I did die every now and then -, but having been brought up with this kind of game, I can't say the examples you're talking about gave me that much trouble. Even areas like the one with the ninjas, which apparently gives people a lot of trouble, had me go "that's it?".

I'm definitely not an expert player, but I guess if you haven't known 2D platformers back in the day they can seem more difficult than they really are. Out of curiosity, have you ever played, say, any of the early Mega Man games? What did you think of the difficulty in those?

Well in the short time I had my NES Classic before selling it (needed the cash) I did play through Mega Man 2, and I played through Mega Man 10 (albeit on easy mode) back when that came out. I can't remember much of the latter but I know that I would definitely not have gotten through the former without liberal usage of that system's save state feature; I can't imagine playing it entirely as it was at release.

The thing is, it's not exactly the difficulty of the individuals itself that's the issue, it's the punishment for fucking up that is. Having to get to the area's boss in its entirety with no checkpoints is what gets me, so when there's a section I can't help but lose a ton of health to I never went into said boss feeling prepared and thus end up dying because of it. I've played through all the Souls games and they feel less punishing than this.

bumpkin

It's completely hidden. In the underground on your way to the Damyo Temple you'll hit a few screens that split into two paths (top and bottom), with one always leading to a dead-end. In the last dead-end (top) you can hold up in the right place to reveal a door.
I found it, but how do I use its special ability? I equipped it, but it doesn't seem to do anything different than every other sword.

In other news, screw the
vampire dragon
. I got to him with two potions in my stock as the birdman and still died. :(

Krelian

I found it, but how do I use its special ability? I equipped it, but it doesn't seem to do anything different than every other sword.

In other news, screw the
vampire dragon
. I got to him with two potions in my stock as the birdman and still died. :(
Jump, press up and attack.

Which transformation are you trying the dragon with? I found that Lion-Man is pretty great. He has strong attack power and is able to hit the dragon when it descends, which makes it stop its attack and fly somewhere else. When I tried it with Hawk-Man I didn't even manage to hit it, lol.

bumpkin

Jump, press up and attack.

Which transformation are you trying the dragon with? I found that Lion-Man is pretty great. He has strong attack power and is able to hit the dragon when it descends, which makes it stop its attack and fly somewhere else. When I tried it with Hawk-Man I didn't even manage to hit it, lol.
Thanks! Yeah, I was trying to take him on as the Hawk-Man. I had him down to 60 health when he killed me, but I didn't like my odds at trying it again in that form.

Krelian

The thing is, it's not exactly the difficulty of the individuals itself that's the issue, it's the punishment for fucking up that is. Having to get to the area's boss in its entirety with no checkpoints is what gets me, so when there's a section I can't help but lose a ton of health to I never went into said boss feeling prepared and thus end up dying because of it. I've played through all the Souls games and they feel less punishing than this.
You should just keep trying if you like the game. Go at it slowly, because there's no rush, right? Study enemy movements and get a feeling for the hit timing, which I also needed to get used to. I think it's totally normal to have an adjustment period, especially if you didn't grow up with these type of games. With patience you'll slowly get better at it until you can probably beat it a second time in hard mode with little problems, if you feel like it :)

Also, you can 'cheat' a little to not lose all your items when you die. You can quit the game at any time, so just before you die you can just quit and try again with all your items at least.

bock

I have mixed feelings about the idea of using the Tasmanian sword to
change into Lion-Man during the Vampire Dragon fight
. I would say it sort of qualify as cheating :) Tasmanian sword was harder to use in the original (needed two controllers), it really obscure. The remake maybe has it too easy to use?

Pressing Down while in the Air with hawk-man do a do a quick fall + attack is the easiest natural way to handle the boss.

liquidtmd

Banned
I have mixed feelings about the idea of using the Tasmanian sword to
change into Lion-Man during the Vampire Dragon fight
. I would say it sort of qualify as cheating :) Tasmanian sword was harder to use in the original (needed two controllers), it really obscure. The remake maybe has it too easy to use?

It's an...interesting addition. As a young boy playing the original, I was never aware of it. News of its inclusion in this remake quickly spread thanks to the internet and...it's something incredibly useful to use, that you think 'well why WOULDN'T I use it'?

Using it to me felt a little bit of a cheat, but that's only in context of having played the original for literally hundreds of hours in my youth without it. I think for the uninitiated it's a solid inclusion though and I certainly don't begrudge it at all.

Cuts out deliberate backtracking to change rooms but that backtracking 'in my day'(lol) was called good planning!

OldmanYellsatcloud.png

aett

So uh I'm stuck at the Daimyo Dragon because I'm currently Mouse Man and have no idea how to change. The last thing I did before going to the ninja area was get the Magical Saber but I haven't found anywhere to use it. All my exploration has allowed me to buy the 3000+ gold Crystal equipment, though. It takes a really long time for the Dragon to kill me, but I just can't hit it without items.

bumpkin

So uh I'm stuck at the Daimyo Dragon because I'm currently Mouse Man and have no idea how to change. The last thing I did before going to the ninja area was get the Magical Saber but I haven't found anywhere to use it. All my exploration has allowed me to buy the 3000+ gold Crystal equipment, though. It takes a really long time for the Dragon to kill me, but I just can't hit it without items.
Do you have the Thunder Ring? If so, when you first enter the town, head left and enter the ground-floor door of the first two story house. When in there, there will be a well you can jump down on your right and a block floating in the air on the left; break that block and collect the "?" block. That will reveal a hidden door which takes you to a transformation altar.

aett

Do you have the Thunder Ring? If so, when you first enter the town, head left and enter the ground-floor door of the first two story house. When in there, there will be a well you can jump down on your right and a block floating in the air on the left; break that block and collect the "?" block. That will reveal a hidden door which takes you to a transformation altar.

I've found that hidden shop, but I do not have the Thunder Ring. Hmm.

Edit: Whoops, figured it out. Thanks!

bumpkin

I've found that hidden shop, but I do not have the Thunder Ring. Hmm.

Edit: Whoops, figured it out. Thanks!
No prob, hope it helped!

Vampire Dragon
defeated! I don't have 100% of everything - I'm missing some stones and a few pieces of gear - but I played through on Normal and my time was 8:33. Fantastic little game. I hope Dotemu/LizardCube get their hands on some more classics, they have quite the touch.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
For those who don't follow the LRG thread.

Wonder Boy: The Dragons Trap coming this summer

Standard and Collectors editions

https://twitter.com/limitedrungames/status/861966544955486208

a7Hu7M7.jpg

bjork

Picked this up late week sometime and started it the other day, finished it yesterday. I feel like I had an easier time with the final boss than I did with some of the others, but it was still a fun game to play through.

Do you get anything special for collecting all of the equipment? I was missing one from each section (I think?), but it was still a nice ending.

LegendX48

Been having fun with this game but I'm kinda lost at the moment. Anyone know where to go next after you get the hawk-man transformation?

Fiendcode

Just finished. Good little game. I liked it a lot.

Also that Wonder Boy boxart is nice shame there is no Switch version.
LRG said they were working on their first Switch release, maybe this one's coming at some point? It's small enough to fit on a 1GB card so I can't imagine manufacturing and shipping would be that expensive. Nicalis said BOI was under $4 per unit and that's on a 1GB card too.

Psxphile

Been having fun with this game but I'm kinda lost at the moment. Anyone know where to go next after you get the hawk-man transformation?

In order to get to the final section of the game you'll need the Magical Saber. You'll need to turn back into Mouse-man, return to the underground and enter the farthest well against the wall. Keep going until you reveal the hidden door.

Once that's done explore the skies above the Village as Hawk-man to find the entrance to the next area.

jonno394

Bought this yesterday and just up to Lion man section. Great game. Love the visuals and the music. Only died a couple times, and they've been against bosses, other than that the games not been as hard as i expected from comments, but i did grow up with these types of game.

The gallery is fantastic btw, lovely early animation and audio recordings.

jonno394

I didnt expect to beat this game in 3.5 hours! Really good but obviously the time to price ratio sort of caught me off guard. Beautiful visuals and soundtrack made it worthwhile though!

I finally got around to beating the game. Took me around 5.25 hours to beat due to my inability to find certain bottlenecks like the town transformer and the last door with Bird-Man to the left of the tower in town. I was looping in the palace with the Legendary Sword/Armor/Shield for quite a while confused. It was a very fun game, perfect for the Switch!

I did die quite a few times in the Lion Man section due to the Ninja's just absolutely destroying my health. I eventually grinded enough to get some good armor that reduced the damage enough for me to progress.

Cmagus

As a huge Wonderboy fan sadly I found this game really disappointing. The art is beautiful but the rest of the game just doesn't feel good at all. I really hope Cursed Kingdoms is better than this because I'm really excited for that game.

Psxphile

Little video of one of the theme arranged and played on the piano by Michael Geyre (the composer)
https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/864511691735879680
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQLvM6NQUTk
Nice, I'm always amazed at how quick a pianist's fingers are to keep up with the rhythm of fast-moving melodies.

As a huge Wonderboy fan sadly I found this game really disappointing. The art is beautiful but the rest of the game just doesn't feel good at all. I really hope Cursed Kingdoms is better than this because I'm really excited for that game.
Well, you liked the art and the gameplay is classic Wonderboy which, being a fan, shouldn't be causing you any concern... so that just leaves, what? The music?

Why don't you like the music, fam? It sounds so good, and I thought it was pretty dang faithful to the original compositions. Hell, they even added extra variations that the original didn't have.

Am I the only person who just sucks at this game? Those damn clouds were killing me when I kept not being able to get arrows
Lrrr must be in that cloud.

Yeah, I remember those things giving me trouble. Sometimes I just ignore them and run past, they can only drop flames when they are directly over your character so just keep moving. Gets trickier when the flames start chasing you too, but that's why you have a shield.

Crash331

Boy was I wrong.

I started a new game on easy after I made it to the pyramid boss. I just never did like the "challenge" of games, even when I was a kid. I just wanted fun.

Cmagus

Well, you liked the art and the gameplay is classic Wonderboy which, being a fan, shouldn't be causing you any concern... so that just leaves, what? The music?

Why don't you like the music, fam? It sounds so good, and I thought it was pretty dang faithful to the original compositions. Hell, they even added extra variations that the original didn't have.

The gameplay imo just doesn't feel all that good in this one and the pacing and overall world design just isn't that good. I found the music fine overall, didn't really have any issues with that.

D.Lo

The gameplay imo just doesn't feel all that good in this one and the pacing and overall world design just isn't that good. I found the music fine overall, didn't really have any issues with that.
I don't understand. You know this is literally a re-skin of a real Westone Wonder Boy game right?

Freeman76

Damn the final boss has conquered me. My 13 year old self was so much better at games, after another 28 years of aging process Im not as sharp as i once was lol

Craft

Damn the final boss has conquered me. My 13 year old self was so much better at games, after another 28 years of aging process Im not as sharp as i once was lol

Just study his pattern once you've got that down he is really really easy, actually getting to the boss was the hard part for me.
I just follow him whilst he is flying to avoid the fire ball spits and then hit him when he turns around at the edges of the screen.
You can do the same thing on the ground but its a trickier so I'd recommend just staying in the air to avoid his attacks on the ground.

Cmagus

I don't understand. You know this is literally a re-skin of a real Westone Wonder Boy game right?
Yes I am aware and I don't like the feel of the remake and played most of the game in classic mode because it feels better to play sorry if that seems to bother people and the original wasn't that great imo.

Top Bottom