• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman and the Mystery of the Missing Marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theecliff

Banned
main-qimg-3354ff1cb7af226d799cd7cd0f7c396f-c

main-qimg-53fdbf2457f6bdb8b892271e4ac21f4a-c
you're posting this ironically right? because to try and conflate those two moments as some kind of proof that critics have it out for dc is pretty deluded

Veelk

Banned

Actually, that's not how it happened. They stopped fighting because Cap kicked his ass and he was defeated. Crossbones went on that tangent as a distraction, basically being tactical in order to hide that he was setting up to detonate the bombs on his person. Cap later admits that he fucked up for being distracted by this. The Martha scene isn't stupid because the character literally says martha (Well...not mainly because of that anyway), it's stupid because that thing is used as a turning point of the heroes conflict with each other. As usual, you're just pick a single strand of commonality while ignoring the context and purpose of that narrative devise to try and draw a parallel that doesn't actually exist.

NandoGip

Man this movie is 100% going to be a stinker. It's well past the time for a good female super hero movie, really ridiculous that there hasn't been one. Maybe I'm just overlooking the good ones?

There's been like 20 female hero movies where they just stick a hot famous lady as the lead and push it out for it to just flop.

LosDaddie

Banned
It's a comic thread on NeoGAF, the question is why'd it take so long

I believe Marvel had GoTG screening two weeks out... so that would still give this movie like 3 weeks before that happens

When are reviews supposed to hit? About a week after GotG 2 comes out stateside?

Veelk

Banned
At least this isn't the booger-eating thread

Yeah, sorry, I shouldn't hijack the thread. It just kinda happened.

It's just that I don't have much to contribute Wonder Woman threads until the movie is release except "Please be good, please be good, please be good...."

And if it is good, I hope word of mouth gives it the audiences it needs, since apparently WB is sleeping on the job of selling it's own movie.

Yeah, sorry, I shouldn't hijack the thread. It just kinda happened.

No, you didn't hijack the thread at all. And you were pointing out what a shitty stupid meme that was, which is always appreciated.

I was just sipping coffee and going through what I missed while I was sleeping.

I have noticed that Doctor Strange has become the notch on the measuring stick to use. Even though SS, BvS and Man of Steel are much, much better comparisons, people are using the Doc as the mark by which Wonder Woman just has to stand next to in order to handwave this concern away.

Poona

Man this movie is 100% going to be a stinker. It's well past the time for a good female super hero movie, really ridiculous that there hasn't been one. Maybe I'm just overlooking the good ones?

Possibly. You're calling Wonder Woman 100% bad already without having seen it.

Personally, I think all I've seen on this looks great and am not really interested in hate parties on films.

Platy

There's been like 20 female hero movies where they just stick a hot famous lady as the lead and push it out for it to just flop.

Catwoman, Tank Girl,Barb Wire ,Elektra....Super Ex Girlfriend.....Hunger Games ?

Matilda had psychic powers...does she count ?

Mos of the marketing of Suicide Squad focused on Harley I guess...

Thats 8

Penguin

Catwoman, Tank Girl,Barb Wire ,Elektra....Super Ex Girlfriend.....Hunger Games ?

Matilda had psychic powers...does she count ?

Mos of the marketing of Suicide Squad focused on Harley I guess...

Thats 8

Supergirl, Vampirella, Red Sonja

Veelk

Banned
I have noticed that Doctor Strange has become the notch on the measuring stick to use. Even though BvS and Man of Steel are much, much better comparisons, people are using the Doc as the mark by which Wonder Woman just has to stand next to in order to handwave this concern away.

You know, I usually don't care how successful a movie is, financially speaking. Superhero films in particular don't matter because it feels like the established fanbase is so strong that even complete critical failures generally make their money back because they star "Popular character X."

But I'm not a shareholder of any studio, so other than the general desire of seeing good work rewarded, how much money studio's make isn't really a concern for me as an audience member so long as it is "Enough to make a sequel" (assuming I want one).

Wonder woman is the first film in a long time I've cared about succeeding as much as it meriting that success as a good film. Because I feel that anything less than stupid amounts of money is going to be taken as another piece of evidence for the false notion that woman led action films aren't viable. It's frustrating to see the unfairness of it.

I want it to succeed enough, critically and financially, that audiences will want to see another WW film and studios will want to make it.

Kinyou

I want it to succeed enough, critically and financially, that audiences will want to see another WW film and studios will want to make it.
To be fair, I dont think that has happened with Ghost in the Shell, has it? (Which btw. flopped despite humongous marketing)
Maybe movie studios are over that point after hunger games, lucy etc.

Ahasverus

The spots look pretty fantastic so far
They are already planning the sequel with some solid story ideals, I'd say they're pretty confident.

Veelk

Banned
The spots look pretty fantastic so far

They are already planning the sequel with some solid story ideals, I'd say they're pretty confident.

Planning and manifestation are different things. Granted, this is a superhero movie, so it might be that they're just assuming the installed base is large enough to cover their costs no matter how it does.

Well, in any case, I did specify 2 goals. If they already have the production of another WW covered, then all that leaves is to aim for critical success.

Please be good, please be good, please be good...

Update: Scott Mendelson of Forbes has weighed in with a piece entitled "Leave Them Wanting More: In Defense of Warner Bros.' Wonder Woman Marketing"

The first sentence is interesting:

"Warner Bros. made good on their unofficial #WonderWednesday promises by dropping two new Wonder Woman TV spots. "

The two new TV spots were released on Thursday, in fact.

Anyway, a lot of the arguments you will read in his piece have already been put forth by people posting in this thread, but it'll be nice to see it there as well, more concisely arranged underneath his wonderful byline photo.

5e0887272964be6b258946209a00ffa2

(I love that he never changes this, btw)

Bleepey

Actually, that's not how it happened. They stopped fighting because Cap kicked his ass and he was defeated. Crossbones went on that tangent as a distraction, basically being tactical in order to hide that he was setting up to detonate the bombs on his person. Cap later admits that he fucked up for being distracted by this. The Martha scene isn't stupid because the character literally says martha (Well...not mainly because of that anyway), it's stupid because that thing is used as a turning point of the heroes conflict with each other. As usual, you're just pick a single strand of commonality while ignoring the context and purpose of that narrative devise to try and draw a parallel that doesn't actually exist.

Crossbones randomly says Bucky and Cap starts playing the Brokeback Mountain theme in his head and has a montage in his head of all the times he and Bucky made your mama jokes and Bucky called Sarah Rogers a bitch or something. Meanwhile Clark tries to say save Martha Kent after Bruce kicked his ass and had his boot to his throat and people can't put two and two to together that he's trying to say Martha Kent, or people ignore the fucking flashback montage of Thomas Wayne's dying words being Martha, or people ignoring the fact Bruce was way more pissed after he thinks Clark is trying to pull Jedi mind tricks "why'd you say that name!", or that they find it inconceivable that Mr My Parents are Dead! would be triggered. but hey tie yourself in knots trying to say how the Bucky moment makes more sense. Tell me again, why didn't Clark give Wonder Woman the spear again when she was holding Doomsday with her lasso, .

I'd also like to add i find it amusing you describe Crossbones saying Bucky as being "tactical". But shit on the Martha moment as being stupid when throughout the film Bruce had been calling Superman an Alien, "you were never even a man" "men are brave" and only by realising that on his deathbed this alien only thought about a woman named Martha like his father and only then did he see this alien as a man who had a human mother. Only then did he realise that all the shit Alfred was saying was right. But hey, their mum's have the same name!

To summarise, The Bucky moment was the inciting moment due to Crossbones being tactical but The Martha moment is stupid because reasons!

Penguin

I thought Marvel sells more Comics than DC?

For past few months, the sales are pretty negligible difference

Marvel does make more money though because of the higher ticket price.

But feel like less sales and more to do with Nazi Captain America.

a916

Going to one hell of a bad movie. WB knows it and doesn't want to waste money. Can't wait.

This post makes no sense from a few fronts, but pass that Bluray copy that you've already watched and judged... let alone that wasn't their game plan with the previously two critically panned movies... but okay.

I believe all insiders hear its good and early screenings are positive also. .

click that tweet and read the thread that follows.

It doesn't actually play out the way you think you do.

(Drew was one of the first people to tell people that BvS was probably going to be a big fat mess and he ate a ton of shit for it. And then the movie came out)

Theorry

click that tweet and read the thread that follows.

It doesn't actually play out the way you think you do.

(Drew was one of the first people to tell people that BvS was probably going to be a big fat mess and he ate a ton of shit for it. And then the movie came out)

No idea what you mean really. He is positive about what he hears even in the replies.

Slayven

For months people have been asking where's the marketing for a movie that comes out in like 6 weeks, JL shit is coming out, but nothing Wonder Woman.

My dude on twitter, Kriss, he and people under his podcast network have been just constantly asking with people saying "Oh they'll have stuff a few months out, it'll be fine" *crickets* Still nothing really. It's fucked up

Kris had a godtier rant on Super Tuesday about this

Blader

Could be worst. Not being able to defend your points is even worst.

Worse.

(Not being able to talk about plot points in a superhero movie is worse than creating memes out of badly compressed images and playschool fonts that snipe at internet fanboys over plot points in a superhero movie because a movie you liked was criticized? Uh, ok.)

I would watch a Vice documentary on the guys who put together these shit-ass memes.

Just sit down & turn a camera on as they narrate their process.

I bet it'd be fuckin' fascinating. The confidence on display. The knowledge that confidence will be rewarded with a ton of social media shares. The total lack of self-awareness (or design ability). The decisionmaking skills, or lack thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom