• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 6/27: Germany Vs. England, Mexico vs. Argentina |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
farnham said:
i dont get all the people talking about the equalizer

sure it was a mistake a grave mistake even

but still the score would be 4 to 2 not 1 to 2
Yeah, probably not. I do think Germany would have won, but who's to know what the final score would have been? Attitudes completely change when it's 2-2 versus 2-1. Individuals think and play differently, even if the overall strategy remains the same.

Good job Mike Works :D

Socreges said:
Extremely lucky? How is a perfect setpiece (in the fluid sense) execution "extremely lucky"?

Lucky in "they didn't play well before" or "no clear chances to be seen". A header can always go in, we Germans know more than enough about that. It was not deserved and Germany was closer to the 3-0 than England to the 1-2.

Socreges

Banned
schennmu said:
Good job Mike Works :D

Lucky in "they didn't play well before" or "no clear chances to be seen". A header can always go in, we Germans know more than enough about that. It was not deserved and Germany was closer to the 3-0 than England to the 1-2.
The fuck? Since when does a team need to build up sustained pressure over an indefinite period of time (and ultimately fail to penetrate several times) in order to deserve a goal? If England gets the ball to the corner, and then to Gerrard, and then into the 18-yard-box, and then onto Upson's head, and into the back of the net --- *wildly punches buttons on calculator* ---- it is deserved. Are counter-attack goals not deserved either? Or is there just something illegitimate about using one's head to score a goal?? :lol

Mael

catfish said:
yes, but almost everyone agrees that Germany outclassed england in almost every category there is.... They simply played a much better game and one bad call by the ref wouldn't have changed that outcome drastically enough to matter.

Yeah and that's never enough to win, simply dominating is usally not enough to win a match against a competent team. It's football not rocket science.
I thnk there's more than enough data to show that if a team plays its cards right they can defeat a much stronger team (granted was not gonna happen here).
The problem being that the bad call by the ref WOULD have changed everything.
Again if tthe coach is anything better than the shitstain we got this year and last, they could have turned it around. It sure would have been harder for the germans than what they had to contend with, as it is they didn't have to pull any extraordinary efforts here.
Then again germany played with the cards they were dealt and won, there's no denying that.
I guess they all have to contend with shitty refs, it's not like it's a first this year, I can barely count the matches that wouldn't have ended that way with video assiting the refs, they're that shitty this year.

Really? You call that fighting the good fight? Too bad the players aren't putting as much of a fight as you are in this thread.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...d-cup-woe.html

I call fighting when you try to open some possibilities and all, heck anything better than Anelka walking.
they were bad at it but they tried, by 3-1 the match was basically over anyway.

Duki

Banned
i thought he meant not 'deserved' in the sense that it wasn't some amazing piece of english attacking, just fortune with a suddenly crappy german defense. stevie simply did his job in crossing it in competently, and upson had a mile wide gap to run onto that ball since the german defenders decided getting in front of him in any way shape or form wasn't for them.

slightly clumsy wording maybe.

farnham said:
i dont get all the people talking about the equalizer

sure it was a mistake a grave mistake even

but still the score would be 4 to 2 not 1 to 2
no, that's the stupid way to look at things.
It would have been a different match with 2-2.

would england have won? probably not because they were outclassed by a large margin.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Always-honest said:
no, that's the stupid way to look at things.
It would have been a different match with 2-2.

would england have won? probably not because they were outclassed by a large margin.

this seems like a pretty fair assessment of the situation.

Did anyone expect any difference though, as in thinking England stood a chance after their tournament performance? I certainly didn't which is why I let 20 euro ride on Germany winning in normal time :D

England nearly franced out of the tourny in the group stages, they were bad this year.

Mael

catfish said:
this seems like a pretty fair assessment of the situation.

Did anyone expect any difference though, as in thinking England stood a chance after their tournament performance? I certainly didn't which is why I let 20 euro ride on Germany winning in normal time :D

England nearly franced out of the tourny in the group stages
, they were bad this year.

Now now, lay down the insults, they were bad but not THAT bad.
Heck the players themselves are not that much to blame (except theses crappy keepers and defenders...)

Socreges said:
The fuck? Since when does a team need to build up sustained pressure over an indefinite period of time (and ultimately fail to penetrate several times) in order to deserve a goal? If England gets the ball to the corner, and then to Gerrard, and then into the 18-yard-box, and then onto Upson's head, and into the back of the net --- *wildly punches buttons on calculator* ---- it is deserved. Are counter-attack goals not deserved either? Or is there just something illegitimate about using one's head to score a goal?? :lol

Duki said:
i thought he meant not 'deserved' in the sense that it wasn't some amazing piece of english attacking, just fortune with a suddenly crappy german defense. stevie simply did his job in crossing it in competently, and upson had a mile wide gap to run onto that ball since the german defenders decided getting in front of him in any way shape or form wasn't for them.

slightly clumsy wording maybe.

Yeah, pretty much. The better team has won in the end. Seems to be the general consensus (despite a few lost souls here on GAF) as well.

n0n44m

catfish said:
yes, but almost everyone agrees that Germany outclassed england in almost every category there is.... They simply played a much better game and one bad call by the ref wouldn't have changed that outcome drastically enough to matter.

yeah the only thing England did better were some long distance shots by Frank, which reflects in their "superior" statistics

the way Germany cut right through their defense in the first 30 mins every time they tried was almost laughable ...

2-2 would have given them a little more chance to properly defend, and gave them some more momentum as well, but they were still outclassed in every way conceivable

German goals : 1 long pass from the keeper and England's defenders fucking it up, 1 great attack combining through the middle and 2 fast and expertly played out counters where the English players gave away the ball while their entire team was standing in front of them

England goals : 1 high ball from a delayed corner and 1 nice lob after a ball bounced to Lampard's feet ... only once did they combine to create a chance, which was the Gerrard shot that was saved (was already 4-1 at that time I suppose)

Killuminati

Neo Member
The next England manager?

2gvk5f6.jpg

Ikkarus

Killuminati said:
If he dropped the current team and did a total retake on the team then he would get my vote.

The fact is 85% of that England squad doesn't deserve to wear the shirt. None of those players play anywhere near the potential they play at club level.

It's not the England managers at fault here, it's the players and it always has been.
Sven was successful when he took over England, look at Steve McClaren, he took Middlesborough all the way to the UEFA Cup final then turned up at England and since being sacked has gone on to success with FC Twente. Fabio Cappello is the next successful manager to turn up and then get let down by the players who dont want to play for their nation.

Ship out that era, all they have done is prove they dont want to play for England.
Screw those guys.

Roxas

Killuminati said:

2gvk5f6.jpg

This.

Unbelievably, he was the only guy who looked like he gave a fuck at the tournament for England.

problem with Becks though, is he wouldnt change a damn thing in the team, he'd still be lumping Heskey up there with Rooney, Gerrard on the left, re fusing to play J.Cole, never dropping the big names etc

MMaRsu

Banned
Wtf? The big thread got closed? Why?

Probably because it was a megathread huh..

Anyway just played two games of Fifa 10 and two times the other guy quit on me :\. I guess they don't have fun when you beat them 4-0 with Inter :p.

nvm read the op :)

Kozak

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Wtf? The big thread got closed? Why?

Probably because it was a megathread huh..

Anyway just played two games of Fifa 10 and two times the other guy quit on me :\. I guess they don't have fun when you beat them 4-0 with Inter :p.

No, because it was crashing GAF. At least read the OP.

hteng

Banned
holy shit 4-1, how pathetic is that ? I'm kinda in shock now, i expected a very competitive match, not total annihilation. Poor england... first the US match, now this.. :/

Socreges said:
Yeah, probably not. I do think Germany would have won, but who's to know what the final score would have been? Attitudes completely change when it's 2-2 versus 2-1. Individuals think and play differently, even if the overall strategy remains the same.

Yes, fully agreed. Nobody knows, which direction the match would have taken, if there was the equalizer before the break. Football is sometimes all about psychology and our team is quite young.

But on the other hand, nobody really can deny, that the German win wasn't just pure luck either, but the result of a strong performance overall.

And this is the saddest thing about the blind goal reffing: We'll never know, how epic and historic the game COULD have been.

Fritz

hteng said:
holy shit 4-1, how pathetic is that ? I'm kinda in shock now, i expected a very competitive match, not total annihilation. Poor england... first the US match, now this.. :/

yeah, but only the ref is to blame for this result :[

Polari

Roxas said:
This.

Unbelievably, he was the only guy who looked like he gave a fuck at the tournament for England.

problem with Becks though, is he wouldnt change a damn thing in the team, he'd still be lumping Heskey up there with Rooney, Gerrard on the left, re fusing to play J.Cole, never dropping the big names etc

Problem with Becks is he's thick as fuck and has no managerial experience.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Polari said:
Problem with Becks is he's thick as fuck and has no managerial experience.

:lol there has to be a more polite way to say this simple truth.

We'll never know, how epic and historic the game COULD have been.

well, it's gonna be pretty historic they'll probably put video refs in.

seanoff

Hey Poms,

why blame the manager? Is every England manager a fool? Capello has one of the best CVs in world football. Man has runs on the board.

surely now it's time to come to terms with the fact.

THE PLAYERS ARE THE PROBLEM.

not Capello, Erikson, Keegan or anyone else. The players are clearly NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

of this generation the only 2 who have proved themselves are

Beckham and Macmaman. both played for Real and were perfectly at home there. everyone else. cloggers

faridmon

Since everyone I support for are out, I am a German fan.

Why on the world are people trying to argue with Doicre or whoever he is, you guys don't know him i suppose, he is just a joker in the gaming GAF.

Also if England would have played these players, they would have been better:

everton-fc-s-phil-jagielka-celebrates-_460-90064170.jpg

Leighton-Baines-has-made--001.jpg

Jack-Rodwell-002.jpg

operon

What does the new thread mean for flags yet to be given out?

As for England they were embarassing to watch, Rooney Gerard, lampard terry etc etc awful.

Rooney never got going at this world cup, as someone above mentioned becks was only one who looked like they were committed, What happened to being proud to play for your country etc and do your all

Haunted

Fritz said:
I'm afraid we will hear about this goal for a really, really long time
Actually, England fans (in this thread and elsewhere) have been extremely reasonable about that disallowed goal. They've acknowledged that their team was outplayed over a large portion of the game by a strong German team. The way they've gracefully accepted the result in the other thread and this thread as well was pretty damn impressive, so major kudos to England-GAF for that.

Then came doicare.

I can now cheer on Germany with a clear conscience as I have an each way bet on Germany and Holland.

England were shockingly shite this tourny, think we're going to have even more lean years ahead.

Kozak

Banned
Regarding goal line refereeing, I believe only UEFA is trialling that. Even if it is used in UEFA competition, FIFA still has to approve it for FIFA competition.

Enosh

watching that referee docu thingy now, shit is interesting, especialy when they show that family of the italian ref watching the game

and I had no idea there is so much chatter betwen the refs, certanly puts the job in a whole new perspective, one you don't usualy see

Mael

Art Teitlebaum said:
Yes, fully agreed. Nobody knows, which direction the match would have taken, if there was the equalizer before the break. Football is sometimes all about psychology and our team is quite young.

But on the other hand, nobody really can deny, that the German win wasn't just pure luck either, but the result of a strong performance overall.

And this is the saddest thing about the blind goal reffing: We'll never know, how epic and historic the game COULD have been.

Hey someone with a german flag that speaks sense.

Funny thing apparently the shitty ref is involved in a corruption case(although in both case it's assistants that are to blame, it's their jobs after all :-/)...
Even funnier they'll put a blame on the guy, based on video evidence :lol
This world cup is really shit as far as football goes but at least it provides endless entertainment

Ikkarus said:
If he dropped the current team and did a total retake on the team then he would get my vote.

The fact is 85% of that England squad doesn't deserve to wear the shirt. None of those players play anywhere near the potential they play at club level.

It's not the England managers at fault here, it's the players and it always has been.
Sven was successful when he took over England, look at Steve McClaren, he took Middlesborough all the way to the UEFA Cup final then turned up at England and since being sacked has gone on to success with FC Twente. Fabio Cappello is the next successful manager to turn up and then get let down by the players who dont want to play for their nation.

Ship out that era, all they have done is prove they dont want to play for England.
Screw those guys.

Perhaps they just play with better players at their clubs? England's problem stem from the fact that they have no (top) class DM, without Ferdinand they don't have a CB who is particularly good on the ball(& Ferdinand is highly over-rated in this country at that), sub par wide players who either have skill or pace & no striker who is a real goal scoring threat that can hold up the ball.

I am pretty sure that the players do care when they are playing for England, to say otherwise is disrespectful (Stevie certainly does, otherwise he wouldn't have been silent over events at Anfield over the summer)

Raydeen

operon said:
What does the new thread mean for flags yet to be given out?

As for England they were embarassing to watch, Rooney Gerard, lampard terry etc etc awful.

Rooney never got going at this world cup, as someone above mentioned becks was only one who looked like they were committed, What happened to being proud to play for your country etc and do your all

Sad thing is Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard will be banging 'em in the net with alarming regularity once the premiership begins - they just can't play as a team. That's where Germany excelled. Can't argue with that result. Germany vs Argentina should be epic.

Facism

Shame they went out. England is full of talented players, but they just don't seem to gel together. Lampard always seems to be looking for Drogba, whilst Gerrard is looking for Torres.

Feathers

This disaster would never have happened if Super Walcott was in South Africa :|

Stick him on the halfway line for direct freekicks, and those last two goals wouldn't have happened. I'm not even joking.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
catfish said:
Here's the FIFA showing how god damned corrupt/inept they are

Basically, FIFA refuses to investigate bad calls and remains against technology in the sport. HOWEVER, there's something that needs to be addressed with the utmost urgency:

Maingot also said FIFA was investigating why the giant video screen at the Soccer City ground showed a replay of the controversial Tevez opening goal in contravention of an understanding it had with the local organising committee.

"There was a controversial incident shown on the giant screens at Soccer City and this should not have happened," he said.

"It is handled by the organising committee and last night was a clear mistake and this should not happen and we will have a closer look at that."

:lol

faridmon said:
Also if England would have played these players, they would have been better:

Baines was dreadful in that friendly match before the World Cup started. Jagielka still doesn't seem to have recovered from that injury. Rodwell is a genuine prospect though
as long as he moves to a decent team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom