• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 World Cup 3rd place |OT| Uruguay vs Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Chosen One said:
What is your point?

That the free kick came from a dubious call? That happens all the time in a single match. I could keep going further back into the match to find dubious calls in Uruguay's favor as well that affected the game.

Unless it's a "England 2 yards over the goal-line" bad call, I don't really think it somehow justifies cheating. Plus the Ghanian player didn't do a blatant dive ala C. Ronaldo. He just lost his footing and the ref made a bad call. The Uruguayan players were playing fairly reckless and frantic just a few plays earlier (which your little youtube video doesn't show), so that might also be way the call went in Ghana's favor.

It's funny how you excuse Suarez handball by saying, "Well, umm... it shouldn't have been a free kick anyway!!!111" ....or...... "It should have been off-sides!!!11".

But if that's the propaganda your local media told you to excuses Suarez's actions for you, then..... ::shrug:: Again, it would just be nice if you'd at least own up to it like French fans did with Henry.
Oh my God, dude.

rodvik

SalsaShark said:
The handball was called, and punished. The obvious Ghana diver wasnt.

But lets just leave it at opinions man, im too tired :lol its all good.

fair enough. good game today btw. Seeya.

Lightning said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh for fuck sake. Lost his footing? Now that's a good one.... That argument is as stupid as the Suarez' handball was instinctive and reflex action argument.

Looking at the replays, the Ghanian player was falling even before the ball got to him. Usually players dive when the defender appears to have the advantage and they need a bailout or they're in a dangerous area (usually inside the penalty box).

The Ghanian player actually had the advantage over the defender and was going into space when the ball was played. But he was still pretty far out from the box to go for a dive instead of just making the play. Again, if you look at the replay he fell over before the ball was played to him while he was still in a good position, which suggests he likely just lost his footing.

At the very least, it's not plainly clear one way or another.

But yeah it's funny to equate that with Suarez handball. :lol :lol :lol

Salsa

The Chosen One said:
Looking at the replays, the Ghanian player was falling even before the ball got to him. Usually players dive when the defender appears to have the advantage and they need a bailout or they're in a dangerous area (usually inside the penalty box).

The Ghanian player actually had the advantage over the defender and was going into space when the ball was played. But he was still pretty far out from the box to go for a dive instead of just making the play. Again, if you look at the replay he fell over before the ball was played to him while he was still in a good position, which suggests he likely just lost his footing.

Man, you are so mad its not even funny anymore, stop hating and see whats in front of you.

But oh well, ill just take it as your opinion, can we leave it at that ?

SalsaShark said:
But lets just leave it at opinions man, im too tired :lol its all good, really. Glad you liked how we played.

I'll take a piece of this Olive branch too.

Suarez is a sack of shit but Forlan is awesome and was fun to watch this WC. Congrats on your 4th* place finish. ;)

markao

I wanted to write something about an entertaining match, but after reading this thread, phew.

Gratuliere Deutschland mit der goldene Ananas and Uruguay supporters, grats with a great tournament. If you can get some ego out of that front line, they might bring you a little further the next time.

And just for the Suarez nonsense in this thread, one more time ;)
suarez595reutersrwp8.jpg

Salsa

The Chosen One said:
I'll take a piece of this Olive branch too.

Suarez is a sack of shit but Forlan is awesome and was fun to watch this WC. Congrats on your 4th place finish. ;)

fixed

:D

Thanks markao

Lightning

Banned
The Chosen One said:

Ok, no, the Suarez handball was worse and I have given Suarez and Uruguay a lot of hate for it. What he did was violate all that matters in sporting and I was repulsed by it. What I am saying though was that the dive was just as the Uruguay player was passing him, the timing was impeccable and it was obvious that the Uruguay player never touched him. That doesn't justify what Suarez did and I am still hoping that FIFA include penalty goals for such instances where deliberate fouls that stop what are certain goals (Such cases should not come down to nerves/luck which is what penalties are) and that the players involved should receive more then just a 1 game ban.

There needs to be a major deterrent to get that shit out of the sport. What Suarez done has over shadowed Uruguay's achievement because had they not done that they wouldn't be in the semi finals to begin with.

Anyway, doesn't matter anymore. What's done is done. Netherlands vs. Spain is all that matters now! Can Spain end the Netherlands undefeated streak? I don't think so... hehehe

People need to shut the fuck up about Suarez, good lord.

Great great game today. Uruguay really impressed this tournament, especially Forlan, just amazing stuff from him. And congrats to the Germans, doing good with young players, taking chances and so on. Both teams deserved the 3rd spot, in my opinion.

If tomorrow is half the match today's was it will be great.

Baki

I can't believe you guys are still banging on about the Suarez handball. He got a red-card and Ghana was given a penalty kick. In other words, he got his punishment. This isn't a situation where a foul went on without punishment.

Mindlog

It's embarrassingly sad that FIFA's governing body reminds behind the times compared to a Gary Bettman administered league.

It's also embarrassingly awesome that a soothsaying cephalopod has perfected prognostication profoundly past professional practice.

Baki

Forlan is such an awesome player and definitely one of the stand out WC players.

Forlan, Honda, Matsui, Vivaldeez were all great players from "less well known" international teams.

rodvik

Baki said:
Forlan is such an awesome player and definitely one of the stand out WC players.

Forlan, Honda, Matsui, Vivaldeez were all great players from "less well known" international teams.

Agreed with those. Good idea for a list. Kevin Prince Boateng would be an add from me.

Any standout from Croatia, Slovenia etc?

iFootball

carvasd said:
GAF's "Castrol's Fifa World Cup Predictor Challenge" League

if you aren't registred in FIFA.com, please do so as you will need an account... once registered, join the following league

Name: "GAF's Brrrrrrrrrrrrr"
Code: 158813-15613
carvasd said:
30 31 GAFers have joined so far :D hopefully you can join too! ... daily league standings will be published in this thread! whatever WC thread is available!!
Finals - Day 1
Code:
POS	Trend	ID		Finals	TOTAL
1	.	xhawkiex	135	1569	
2	+	CheccoZ		307	1439	
3	.	kamimartian	178	1419	
4	-	Juicy-Bob	114	1418	
5	-	shagg187	180	1352	
6	+	markao05	192	1323	
7	-	f.i.f.awill	157	1311	
8	.	wc_2011		197	1256	
9	.	aks129		112	1117	
9	.	Konosuke	114	1117	
11	+	somato		69	1049	
12	-	LabouredSubt	0	998	
13	.	ColinZeal	0	788	
14	+	scottnak	132	768	
15	-	deceptionist	0	733	
16	-	Lt.Feathers	0	717	
17	-	kottila		0	716	
18	-	carvasd		0	672	
19	.	Mardil		0	586	
20	.	roadbr		0	551	
21	.	Manigol		0	454	
22	.	royalpress	0	444	
23	.	Sajuuk		0	443	
24	.	sinnyhalo	0	427	
25	.	bolbronx	0	419	
26	.	Omega_Man	0	353	
27	.	mikeybwright	0	282	
28	.	DevilTrigger	0	254	
29	.	GAF_AH		0	199	
30	.	doitlive	0	79	
31	.	voodoorayray	0	0

Knockout Stage!
The system has now made our own knockout stage, using the top 16 players from Round 3. It will use the total points of each round of the knockout stage to decide who advances!

Third Place
Code:
				  kamimartian 178 |-VS-| 0 ColinZeal
FINAL !!!
Code:
				  xhawkiex 135 |-VS-| 112 aks129
NOTE: Regardless of the Knockout phase, we can all continue competing for the Top Spot in the League ;)

rodvik

SalsaShark said:
Just found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI4lqaZmnt8

Im not gonna bitch about it or anything, dont worry :lol Holland did played the better game and deserved to win, but its interesting nonetheless.

Dude, you are entitled to bitch. I dont understand the commentary but if its about Van Bommel then yeah, he is a dirty , dirty player. Its amazing he got away with kicking around Uruguay and other teams this WC.

How dirty can he be? Look closely at 1.00 in this clip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3luuufaIFzY

Tomorrow is going to be a very interesting game... :)

Wellscha

Man, I expect to see offers to Forlan after this match. He's straight out of Captain Tsubasa universe. Great player who played well even if he wasn't 100% fit.

Maaaaaaaaaaaann. This WC was exhilarating. I'm happy that my team defied all expectation. Still believe in a comeback. And will believe that Uruguay can win the WC. :)

Vamos arriba Uruguay!

Copa America is right around the corner! :)

Noshino

Lightning said:
I see nothing wrong here other then Netherlands scoring more goals and they play a physical game.

You call it physical, I call it rugby :p

Anyway, I was looking at the list of olympic medalists, and I realized that Netherlands has never won one for Diving, and now I know why. They confused their Football team with their Diving team. Robben deserves at least one diving medal before he retires, after all, he has been practicing throughout all of his career.

Flek

Banned
Wellscha said:
Man, I expect to see offers to Forlan after this match. He's straight out of Captain Tsubasa universe. Great player who played well even if he wasn't 100% fit.

pfff he played against ouer b-team and still lost not really "captain tsubasa" style ;)

faridmon

Blablurn said:
and what about poland/ukraine 2012?
I will be excited if Norway qualifies for that. I am sick and tired of supporting Danmark when clearly the can't play a proper football >: (

Arjen

Seems i missed a good match :(
Well done Neighbours.
And with this Euro top 3, i just wanna say to all the South Americans who were going on about South American's dominance in the big thread:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

faridmon

Arjen said:
Seems i missed a good match :(
Well done Neighbours.
And with this Euro top 3, i just wanna say to all the South Americans who were going on about South American's dominance in the big thread:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
EuroGaf Vs S. AmericanGaf = serious business.

Haunted

Great game! Super-entertaining to watch, a good . Uruguay fought until the end, although the difference in strength and quality became more apparent during the final half hour. Deserved victory for Germany.

Another third place, cementing Germany as one of the top teams of the decade. None other has been among the best as consistently.

Code:
WC   2002 - 2nd
Euro 2004 -   /
WC   2006 - 3rd
Euro 2008 - 2nd
WC   2010 - 3rd

Blablurn said:
and what about poland/ukraine 2012?
Will be so awesome.

Alucard

Banned
Haunted said:
Great game! Super-entertaining to watch, a good . Uruguay fought until the end, although the difference in strength and quality became more apparent during the final half hour. Deserved victory for Germany.

Another third place, cementing Germany as one of the top teams of the decade. None other has been among the best as consistently.

Code:
WC   2002 - 2nd
Euro 2004 -   /
WC   2006 - 3rd
Euro 2008 - 2nd
WC   2010 - 3rd

Will be so awesome.

I really like Germany, but this "always the bridesmaid but never the bride" stuff really has to stop soon. They just need to flat out win again.

Alucard said:
I really like Germany, but this "always the bridesmaid but never the bride" stuff really has to stop soon. They just need to flat out win again.
it sucks to be always the 2nd or 3rd :lol

Ducarmel

Congrats to Germany winning the game, it was a good game like most 3rd place games.

And Uruguay too they played great all tournament, it sucks that they are villainized (I am guilty of doing it too) over the handball thing in the Ghana game. In the end they won their games when they had the chances to win it and went further then the usual S. American favorites.

Haunted

If Müller or Özil don't win the Best Young Player Award, I consider the contest rigged.

Who else even comes close? I struggle to think of any. Dos Santos from Mexico, Kevin-Prince Boateng from Ghana, maybe.

Alucard said:
Well, "always"... we do have our three stars, as well as the most Euro wins as well (three).

But yeah, absolutely! It's not like we don't want to. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom