• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 Group Draw Thread of Bitter Rivalries, Ball Fixing and Groups of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlagev

Wes said:
All the pundits/media seem to hate it, but the fans still love it.

The English media hate it? I wouldn't have known...

It really is a great song (both versions)... I'm not even English and I love it. I also think a lot of the lyrics fit for long-suffering fans of teams, no matter what the sport.

Seriously, the English media hate it? What a bunch of kuntz...

hertog

There's always such a big difference between the EC and the WC. Just look at our group two years ago:

Netherlands
Italy
France
Romania

and now:

Netherlands
Denmark
Cameroon
Japan

rodvik

Gary Whitta said:
All their players are second-rate and they've put in plenty of clownish performances in major competition but they can always be a surprise package, you just never know.

Having said that, I don't understand why the US commentators are relishing the fact England are in their group. It betrays either a basic understanding of football, or unwarranted arrogance, or both

Actually my take is US footy commentators are looking forward to the game because...well its England..... they can pronounce their names and the audience is likely able to understand what they say (mostly). Also the US an experienced team now and Bradley is a decent coach.

All that said however. ......Come on England!...Come on England!...Come on England!

r_england_hi.jpg

until we meet Germany and lose on penalties.

rodvik

GSG Flash said:
I wish a country that I'm associated with made the world cup, it would have made it so much more fun to watch, but unfortunately they all suck :(

No....no you really dont. Honestly its really no fun. You just sit at the edge of your seat in a state of utter fear and panic the whole time, the only exception being if you get 3-0 up in the second half, then you can sit back and enjoy the game for a few minutes.

Otherwise, the pattern of watching the world cup is, panic, false hope, creeping dread, anguish ridden disappointment, a single moment of desperate failure, then finally bitter recrimination.*

If you are English over the past decades, results may vary if you have a team that actually has a chance in hell of winning the thing.

hertog said:
There's always such a big difference between the EC and the WC. Just look at our group two years ago:

Netherlands
Italy
France
Romania

and now:

Netherlands
Denmark
Cameroon
Japan

lol, yeah, from the group of death to the group of LMAO...
It's best to just hold a EC with Argentina and Brazil and call it a WC..

rodvik

ConfusingJazz said:
I thought dumb red cards by important players was more you're thing?

Thats a relatively new way to lose, its a fad, we are a nation bound by tradition, I am confident we can revive the tried and true approach of Germany and penalties :)

faridmon said:
crap, i didn't see them.I am blind :(
OK Denmark for the world cup.
lets see which group they are now, Netherlands, Japan and Cameroon, not bad. a definite qualification from the group stage.

Not so sure, afraid Cameroon will take the second place but hoping for Denmark.

bjaelke

Milk Lizard said:
Not so sure, afraid Cameroon will take the second place but hoping for Denmark.
I wouldn't be too sure either. Cameroon is no pushover. I've a feeling that the games against Japan will be key for those who wants to advance. They (Japan) could easily cause an upset and send one of either Denmark or Cameroon packing. I don't see undefeated Holland running into any problems although this group is certainly tougher than their WCQ group.

Dragnet

You Americans gonna get fucked up come the England game, seriously. Even in the unlikely event that we lose, our fans will mess you up :lol

Dragnet said:
You Americans gonna get fucked up come the England game, seriously. Even in the unlikely event that we lose, our fans will mess you up :lol
A bunch of pale, pencil-necked English fans won't be able to do shit against us. :lol

We'll eat you before you can finish saying "crumpets."

daegan

Dragnet said:
If we win, or even tie, there'll be too much whining and blameshifting going on for an English fan to raise anything besides a beer. The fan in me says we get 3 in that game, the realist says England will be lucky to tie us. :D

v4gr4nt

Error said:
Not as easy as Spain's group, come on...
Actually, by FIFA's ranking, it's the hardest group. Not that I believe that, but at least it is not the easiest group.

Glad that Chile it's getting some recognition. Hopefully we'll surprise everybody:D

ToxicAdam

I absolutely love that America is playing England in the first game. Perfect opponent for America to generate the most interest.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
ToxicAdam said:
I absolutely love that America is playing England in the first game. Perfect opponent for America to generate the most interest.

Did not know you were into soccer and all. But yeah, I'm gonna watch that game too since my team failed to qualify.

Don't know what team I'll be rooting for yet though.

PJV3

pizzaguysrevenge said:
But we beat the redcoats...

You were still british subjects till independance so we beat ourselves actually.
(writing that sentence gave me a headache)

bjaelke

ItsInMyVeins said:
Did not know you were into soccer and all. But yeah, I'm gonna watch that game too since my team failed to qualify.

Don't know what team I'll be rooting for yet though.
Internationals always brings forth all the casuals. We almost have enough activity to restart the official thread although it would just end up getting messy again.

Magni

i_am_ben said:
All this french hate makes me want them to win :lol
:D

I'd hoped the World Cup would be this winter, since SA's in the southern hemisphere.. Oh well, at least there's the winter Olympics to pass the time.
hockey > football/soccer :D

success-a9a272d3edd1932cc224042f3ffaaba4.png

:lol :lol :lol

avaya

Dragnet said:

If any of these "fans" do make it to South Africa, they will all be dead at the hands of the Saffers.

Mindlog

i_am_ben said:
All this french hate makes me want them to win :lol

Yeah France throws things into a loop for me.

I'm obligated to hate on the hand ball abusing weasels.

I'm obligated to hate on the diving ballerina Italians and Portuguese.

I don't want to hate 3 teams. I am not a hate filled person :(

I'm just going to root for the Sounders at all the pub games I attend. I gotta go buy a jersey.

Man, why doesn't this start for another few months? Are there no matches before June? :(

I hardly ever watch soccer, but the World and European Cups are always fun. In those cases I actually give a damn about who wins and loses. Previous Cup thread was awesome! Anyways.. GO HOLLAND! Time we finally won this thing. :D :D

Salazar

avaya said:
If any of these "fans" do make it to South Africa, they will all be dead at the hands of the Saffers.

I would expect that there are at least a few folks in South Africa of the disposition outlined below:

You throw things around and have dribbling, hooligan tantrums in my local, I won't phone the police. I will shoot you.

Africa is different. See link for an indicative case.

http://cominganarchy.com/2005/10/03/general-butt-naked/

giga

Zidane. *salute*

Never, never," Zidane added. "It would be to dishonor me. ... I'd rather die."

"Of course I reproach myself, but if I say, 'Sorry,' I would also be admitting that what he did was normal. And for me it was not normal. ...

"If it was Kaka, an ordinary guy, a good guy, of course I would have apologized. But to this one!" Zidane said. "If I ask forgiveness of him, I lack respect for myself and for all those I love with all my heart."

hyonoid

No 3D for English Team lol

--
sonyfifahed04082010.jpg

Sony and FIFA have just released a list of World Cup 2010 games that'll be broadcast in 3D, with ESPN taking care of the US audience, Sogecable for Spain, and more partners to come (including eight matches for selected 3D cinemas around the world). Out of all ten stadiums, only five of these -- Soccer City and Ellis Park in Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth -- are chosen for the 3D broadcast, which sadly leaves out Rustenberg and its England-USA match that most of us here anticipate. Each venue will have seven 3D-camera positions with three above the pitch and four on pitch level, and don't forget the two "3D Outside Broadcast" trucks that'll be busy shuffling between stadiums to process the footage for us all. If you end up totally loving the 3D experience, a Blu-ray 3D compilation disc will be available within 2010. This souvenir should go nicely with the updated PS3 by then -- we were told by Sony that its console's expecting its 3D upgrade around the same time as the launch of its 3D TVs, which just so happens to be around E3 as well. Boy, June sure going to be a fun one this year.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
hyonoid said:

--
sonyfifahed04082010.jpg

Sony and FIFA have just released a list of World Cup 2010 games that'll be broadcast in 3D, with ESPN taking care of the US audience, Sogecable for Spain, and more partners to come (including eight matches for selected 3D cinemas around the world). Out of all ten stadiums, only five of these -- Soccer City and Ellis Park in Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth -- are chosen for the 3D broadcast, which sadly leaves out Rustenberg and its England-USA match that most of us here anticipate. Each venue will have seven 3D-camera positions with three above the pitch and four on pitch level, and don't forget the two "3D Outside Broadcast" trucks that'll be busy shuffling between stadiums to process the footage for us all. If you end up totally loving the 3D experience, a Blu-ray 3D compilation disc will be available within 2010. This souvenir should go nicely with the updated PS3 by then -- we were told by Sony that its console's expecting its 3D upgrade around the same time as the launch of its 3D TVs, which just so happens to be around E3 as well. Boy, June sure going to be a fun one this year.
#

Kinda glad, i've watched 3d rugby and football. And. . . it's shit.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
hyonoid said:

--
sonyfifahed04082010.jpg

another dimension would'nt stop English from losing anyways:D

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Count me in the list of Holland supporters. It s a shame they never get past the quarter finals though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom