• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 Group Draw Thread of Bitter Rivalries, Ball Fixing and Groups of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subitai

depward said:
Wait - we like swimming?! Wha.
Its sort of like what Tiger does for golf but not as much. There was actual daily coverage by espn of the Fina World Championships over the summer, which really hasn't happened before. Part of it was the suits and records, but the rest was Phelps tracking. If there is similar coverage of Pan-Pacs next year it will be solely because of Phelps since new suits will be banned.

Wes

venison crêpe
I would just like to apologise to all you Americans in advance because come the day of the match I'm going to be a total dick.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Wes said:
I would just like to apologise to all you Americans in advance because come the day of the match I'm going to be a total dick.

Thats if you're not a total pussy by then.
;)

Raydeen

avaya said:
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE UNITED STATES CRUSH ENGLAND.

DEMPSEY TO SCORE AFTER DOING THE WORLD A SERVICE AND MAIMING THE CHAVS WHO INFEST THE ENGLAND SIDE.

But as likely as Nintendo selling the Mario franchise to Microsoft.

Wes said:

Nothing you can say can be any worse than the hubris of United fans. :)

avaya

Raydeen said:
But as likely as Nintendo selling the Mario franchise to Microsoft.

Belo Horizonte Redux. 1 - Negative USA.

Comedy prices on Deutschland to win their group on Betfair. 1.94? :lol :lol Free money if I ever saw it. You can book that, certain as death and taxes - Deutschland to reach the quarters minimum.

Same goes for Italy winning their group, 1.4's really? How it's even possible to get a 1.3 on Spain winning their group is astounding.

Spain will end up playing the Group H second place team. Portugal/Ivory Coast vs. Spain in last 16. Brazil are winning that group.

The French have unfinished business with the sweaty and uncivilised drug dealers from Uruguay.

Will always be nice to see Argentina get knocked the fuck out. I love Messi but I fucking hate Argentina.

giga

Wes said:
It's okay, I get in a foul mood after losing as well.

faridmon

ColR100 said:
You do realise Denmark is a Scandinavian country don't you? :lol
crap, i didn't see them.I am blind :(
OK Denmark for the world cup.
lets see which group they are now, Netherlands, Japan and Cameroon, not bad. a definite qualification from the group stage.

avaya

faridmon said:
crap, i didn't see them.I am blind :(
OK Denmark for the world cup.
lets see which group they are now, Netherlands, Japan and Cameroon, not bad. a definite qualification from the group stage.

Denmark will finish second to the Dutchies and then play the Italians. Losing to Lippi's side.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
wlre2q.jpg

:lol I don't know why this picture made me laugh. Both trying so hard not to flirt in front of the world media.

Bleepey

I would just like to say that during world cup time, there will be this mysterious flu that will be going round, that will leave people unable to go to work. Am i right guys?:lol :lol :lol Book your holidays now!!!:D :lol

Germany are winning their group, hands down. 1.94 :lol :lol Free money from Betfair.

I heard a Sky reporter earlier rash talking Brazil, saying that they're not as good as past Brazillian teams and predicted that they won't reach the last 16 :lol :lol I've heard that bullshit so many times over the years. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if they qualified second in the group.

Bleepey said:
I would just like to say that during world cup time, there will be this mysterious flu that will be going round, that will leave people unable to go to work. Am i right guys?:lol :lol :lol Book your holidays now!!!:D :lol

I wonder how many new cases of swine flu there will be in June/July 2010?

jpderrida

Banned
all I'm saying is fuck Argentina.

fuckers barely managed to qualify with Maradona as their coach (lol), and then they get the easiest group...

it's all about the money eh

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
jpderrida said:
all I'm saying is fuck Argentina.

fuckers barely managed to qualify with Maradona as their coach (lol), and then they get the easiest group...

it's all about the money eh
Not as easy as Spain's group, come on...

Kozak

Banned
Oozer3993 said:
I remember the last time some one thought that.

2afli69.jpg

This game is going to be so much fun. :D

Fuck yea. This is truth.

Fuck you cocky bastards who think Mexico got it easy. Luis Suarez is going to fuck you guys up.

Subitai said:
So BBC sport shows that we (USA) finished 3rd in 1930. Anyone with any insight into how the hell that happened? This was at the beginning of the great depression, so did not all teams come with their best players or something?
coincidence?

jpderrida

Banned
Error said:
Not as easy as Spain's group, come on...
really? Chile qualified only second to Brazil, with one point less, above Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina, I think they'll be a surprise

can't say the same with Honduras, they're clearly not getting out of the group

but Switzerland is also a good team

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Group G is obviously the group of death because of North Korea. I have total faith in that team.

Threi

notag
Disappointed that no teams from the Caribbean qualified, but I will be watching as usual.

I guess I will be rooting for the Germans this time around.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
no! why germans!? Ballack in the team means they will never win anything.

my predictions for group stage

Group A: France/Uruguay
Group B: Argentina/Nigeria
Group C: England/USA
Group D: Germany/Ghana
Group E: Netherlands/Denmark
Group F: Italy/Paraguay
Group G: Brazil/Ivory Coast
Group H: Spain/Chile

Winner will be someone from South America.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
People underestimate chile. They will definitely get out of group and might even make it past the next round. I doubt much further than that though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
BowieZ said:
Clever, but quite frankly, I think most Aussies are seeing their own puncronym in today's news.

GERMANY
AUSTRALIA
GHANA
SERBIA

http://www.wiretotheear.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/vomit.jpg
Hardly.

We beat Ghana last year 1-0 (and from what I can recall have never lost to them), and Serbia are just Croatia in another coat of skin. As for Germany, it seems that sparks fly whenever we have played them in the past - always close affairs with either no goals or tons of goals from both sides.

I'm not saying that Australia are going to top Group D, but it is easily the most exciting group not called Group G simply because any team can qualify and any team can go packing.

I'm hoping for England to top their group, and Australia to come second so an England v Australia knock-out game ensues. Same reason why it'd be bliss to see Portugal get 2nd in their group and Spain to top theirs, just so they'll meet each other in the round of 16.

missbreedsiddx said:
People underestimate chile. They will definitely get out of group and might even make it past the next round. I doubt much further than that though.
Too many people underestimating them. They are my favourite South American side, partly due to an ex, but they play very attractive attacking football. They are going to be a tough team to come up against in the round of 16.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
There's a poll on ESPN sports nation asking how far will the US get in the World Cup. Round of 16 leads with 35%, but finals has 18% of the vote. :lol

You know what I like about fans of England? It's how damn positive they are. Their team gags for 50+ years and they still think they're always going to win!

Dooraven

New Zealand will be out in the first round for sure but this isn't really a bad group to be in. Italy will definitely win Group F - Paraguay second probably. Just glad to see NZ there though.

MutFox

Banned
Dooraven said:
New Zealand will be out in the first round for sure but this isn't really a bad group to be in. Italy will definitely win Group F - Paraguay second probably. Just glad to see NZ there though.

Just making it to the World Cup is awesome. :p

Oozer3993 said:
I remember the last time some one thought that.

2afli69.jpg

This game is going to be so much fun. :D
I think USA has a solid team and will do well but if you actually think any of the elite teams gave a shit about the Confederations Cup, then you are mistaken. I mean of course teams want to win and play hard but it's not the same level as the World Cup imo.

The Confederation Cup is like the trial run of the real thing. Just don't get too confident after that 2nd place finish. :D

Encountering Spain or Brazil in June 2010 will be a totally different animal.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I wish a country that I'm associated with made the world cup, it would have made it so much more fun to watch, but unfortunately they all suck :(

Oh well, the World Cup is always a good time, so it'll be fun regardless(especially Brazil's group), and atleast I can take solace in the fact that the theme song is by a Canadian :D

I'll be rooting for the Netherlands. I would root for the US too, but some of their fans are already being really arrogant, and it's half a year till the tournament starts :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
GSG Flash said:
I would root for the US too, but some of their fans are already being really arrogant, and it's half a year till the tournament starts :lol
Confidence ≠ Arrogance

`Moe Joe.

Banned
speedpop said:
Hardly.

We beat Ghana last year 1-0 (and from what I can recall have never lost to them), and Serbia are just Croatia in another coat of skin. As for Germany, it seems that sparks fly whenever we have played them in the past - always close affairs with either no goals or tons of goals from both sides.

I'm not saying that Australia are going to top Group D, but it is easily the most exciting group not called Group G simply because any team can qualify and any team can go packing.

I'm hoping for England to top their group, and Australia to come second so an England v Australia knock-out game ensues. Same reason why it'd be bliss to see Portugal get 2nd in their group and Spain to top theirs, just so they'll meet each other in the round of 16.

Yeah but the Ghana side we played consisted of their under 20's and they still, for the most part, dominated us. Add Essein and Muntari to the mix and well... yeah.

I agree with what you say about how any group can go through. Between Serbia, Australia and Ghana, it will be a bare knuckle scrap.

Kozak

Banned
`Moe Joe. said:
Yeah but the Ghana side we played consisted of their under 20's and they still, for the most part, dominated us. Add Essein and Muntari to the mix and well... yeah.

I agree with what you say about how any group can go through. Between Serbia, Australia and Ghana, it will be a bare knuckle scrap.

I'm not feeling it this time Moe..We're playing shitty football and we he isn't using all the players to their potential, especially Kewell.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Kozak said:
I'm not feeling it this time Moe..We're playing shitty football and we he isn't using all the players to their potential, especially Kewell.

Kewell not being used to his potential.

Shit strikers. Keneddy is a sub par target man in a chinese league and Mcdonald can't finish a happy meal the little fat fuck.

No outlet. Kewell isn't used to his potential, really the only person who will bomb forward is Bresciano. (well, maybe sub par players like Garcia and Carney.......)

Shit defense who rely on getting 10 men behind the ball.

hoof football to shit keneddy.

shit manager with a shit hairstyle.

Yeah I agree but am confident for some reason. Probably nostalgia from 4 years ago. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom