• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 Group Draw Thread of Bitter Rivalries, Ball Fixing and Groups of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group A France, South Africa

Group B Argentina, Nigeria

Group C England, Slovenia

Group D Germany, Australia
please get through Australia, set up the England-Australia match, this alone would make it the best world cup ever

Group E Netherlands, Cameroon

Group F Italy, New Zealand

Group G Brazil, Côte d'Ivoire
bye bye Portugal!

Group H Spain, Chille

Round of 16

France vs Nigeria - France wins

England vs Australia - England wins. Fuck yes!

Netherlands vs New Zealand - Netherlands wins

Côte d'Ivoire vs Chille - Côte d'Ivoire wins

Argentina vs South Africa - Argentina wins

Germany vs Slovenia - Germany wins

Italy vs Cameroon - Italy wins

Spain vs Brazil - Brazil wins

Quarter Finals

France vs England - England wins

Netherlands vs Côte d'Ivoire - Côte d'Ivoire wins

Argentina vs Germany - Germany wins

Italy vs Brazil - Brazil wins

Semi Finals

England vs Côte d'Ivoire wins - England wins

Germany vs Brazil - Germany wins

Final

England vs Germany - You decide.

I did this step by step, as I think the results could turn out, as honestly as possible

Before knowing the draw of the tournament, I thought that Germany or Brazil would win...

ssoass

schuelma said:
Question for the England posters..are any of the U.S players playing in the EPL considered decent, or do you just laugh at them?

I'm not from England but I know Tim Howard (Everton) is a great gk... one of the best in the Premier League I think.

Manaka said:
I always was under the impression that Drogba was the big name and the rest just a mediocre team (that was my impression the last time I saw them).
Well, in the long run it certainly pays off to let younger talents play in the team- now that I know this I'll definately look forward to their matches :)

They got a lot of quality players, just to name a few of them : Eboue, Toure, Guy Demel, Yaya Toure, Romaric, Zokora, Drogba, Kalou, Kone.

bjaelke

Manaka said:
I always was under the impression that Drogba was the big name and the rest just a mediocre team (that was my impression the last time I saw them).
Well, in the long run it certainly pays off to let younger talents play in the team- now that I know this I'll definately look forward to their matches :)
Yaya Touré, Kolo Touré, Salomon Kalou, Eboue and Koné to name a "few" of their other prominent players.

Beaten :/

Noshino

JDeluis said:
Edit for accuracy.

They do it less, but they still do it nonetheless

LiveWire said:
WTF are you talking about? US media never hypes US to win the World Cup. ESPN Soccernet picked England and Slovenia to advance. Only thing US sports media hypes is the potential to upset in any matchups against top teams cause we know how pissed the rest of the world would get if we ever beat one of their top teams in a sport most Americans could care less about. Just thinking about a US win over England makes me laugh so hard at the epic photoshops that will make fun of the British. :lol

Bull

Both the spanish and english media here in the US overestimate both the american and mexican football, hell, often times you hear them say that the mexican/american players are the best players of whatever european team they are on :lol

As for Ivory Coast, during the 06 WC they were also named as one of the teams to look out for (and Argentina got lucky
yah Fersis, Argentina gano de pura suerte
)

LiveWire

Noshino said:
They do it less, but they still do it nonetheless

Bull

Both the spanish and english media here in the US overestimate both the american and mexican football, hell, often times you hear them say that the mexican/american players are the best players of whatever european team they are on :lol

Overrating players is one thing. Hyping the US National Team to win the World Cup (which is what you stated originally) is quite another! I can't even imagine the headlines worldwide if the US sports media ever declared the US as favorites to win the World Cup! :lol

Wes

venison crêpe
schuelma said:
Question for the England posters..are any of the U.S players playing in the EPL considered decent, or do you just laugh at them?

Oh for the most part they are definitely good players. However apart from in the goalkeeping position England have better first team members all over the park.

immy

Banned
schuelma said:

Tim howard is good. Clint dempsey is ok. the rest are poor

$200

Banned
What's with all the hates for the US team. Didn't they do like really well in the Confederation Cup?

Aus please beat Ghana and Serbia :(

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Noshino said:
I've never seen this. Everyone talks about how far behind the US is, but we're making strides towards relevance.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Stupid Argentinean Press : 'World Cup begins on Round of 16'
Damn, they are the same stupids that talk trash about the national team and Maradona every day.
Boo at them.

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah when we actually toyed with putting a Spaniard in goal you know we had to be desperate. Fortunately that got shot down pretty quickly.
I'd give our very own Stevie Harper a chance myself!

Wes

venison crêpe
James will be our goalie. To be fair he's the best we've got, but you just know he'll have a Seaman moment and flap at one. Green will be first backup.

Noshino

LiveWire said:
Overrating players is one thing. Hyping the US National Team to win the World Cup (which is what you stated originally) is quite another! I can't even imagine the headlines worldwide if the US sports media ever declared the US as favorites to win the World Cup! :lol

K.Jack said:
I've never seen this. Everyone talks about how far behind the US is, but we're making strides towards relevance.

Oh God, then Im watching too many sport shows in spanish because I can recall hearing such comments often, can't be helped though, I just like spanish commentators more than any others :lol

Fersis said:
Stupid Argentinean Press : 'World Cup begins on Round of 16'
Damn, they are the same stupids that talk trash about the national team and Maradona every day.
Boo at them.

Go Jonas!!!!!

jonas-gutierrez.jpg

FuturusX

How bad is the England goal keeping situation?

England would bite your hand off for the chance to have a keeper of Tim Howard's quality in South Africa and Tim Howard is pretty average. He's a great shot shopper, but has had a few issues with concentration.

England's lack of quality in goal will probably cost them a goal at crucial stage in the competition and thus a heart breaking exit, resulting in at least 4 weeks of national mourning...

ColR100

immy said:
Tim howard is good. Clint dempsey is ok. the rest are poor
I'd say Clint Dempsey is more than just OK. I'd put him up there with Howard easily overall.

Probably Fulham's most influential player so far this season.

Wes

venison crêpe
ColR100 said:
I'd say Clint Dempsey is more than just OK. I'd put him up there with Howard easily overall.

Indeed but he would be lucky to make the England squad.

ColR100

FuturusX said:

England would bite your hand off for the chance to have a keeper of Tim Howard's quality in South Africa and Tim Howard is pretty average. He's a great shot shopper, but has had a few issues with concentration.

England's lack of quality in goal will probably cost them a goal at crucial stage in the competition and thus a heart breaking exit, resulting in at least 4 weeks of national mourning...
The best hope we can have regarding the keeper postion is if Foster gets a loan spell in January and get first-team football all the way through till the end of the season.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ColR100 said:

Probably Fulham's most influential player so far this season.

I was mostly curious about Dempsey. I know he's had a solid year so far and was curious what people outside the USA thought of him.

Rubezh

"This is the best draw we've ever had in any World Cup,'' said former U.S. forward Eric Wynalda, now an analyst for the Fox Soccer Channel. "No disrespect to England, but this is an ideal group for us.''

:lol

operon

Quote:
"This is the best draw we've ever had in any World Cup,'' said former U.S. forward Eric Wynalda, now an analyst for the Fox Soccer Channel. "No disrespect to England, but this is an ideal group for us.''
Rubezh said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol stupid fuckers

James will be first choice.

If Foster is loaned out to a decent club, gets a run of games and impresses, then he could possibly be first choice England keeper, but that's a big 'if'.

kingkitty

The chance of seeing America play England gives me a slight soccer boner. Having said that, I don't think America will be able to pull an upset :(

Oozer3993

Gummifaust said:
If Spain will stay on their current perfomance level they will win the whole thing.

2afli69.jpg

FuturusX said:

A lot of that is the Tourrette's.

feel

Am finally watching a repeat of the event on TV, and lol at charlize theron acting all silly throughout the whole thing... I love her so much.

I honestly love football but the US should just go in quietly and hope to overachieve. England and Slovenia is a very tough draw.

I do get a kick out of people laughing at the US media being hyped, let us be hyped believe me if the US made the finals and it had to compete with the late Dodgers - Phillies game, the baseball game wins the ratings battle :lol .

Brannon

Any one hyping the US to win it all or win something of significant significance, well I just have to question their... everything.

But maybe there is something to it. I mean even Wal-Mart is getting in on the action as the offical World Cup product seller in the States.

I have no fucking idea how that is going to work, by the way. NASCAR. Baseball. FIFA?

Next few months are going to be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom