• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 Group Draw Thread of Bitter Rivalries, Ball Fixing and Groups of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
immy said:
capelloDM2312_468x614.jpg

BOB_BRADLEY_NOPE.jpg

Error said:
Argentina should easily top group B, unless something goes horribly wrong, is not a tough group for us.

Btw people are writing off Uruguay far too easily... they have 2 extremely talented fowards in Forlan and Luis Suarez. I don't see Mexico coming out of this group. Uru and France will come out of this one.
Didn't Uruguay barely qualify? They suck and so does Mexico but Mexico sucks less.

BowieZ said:
Thanks. Can't wait to compliment your team, too, in 6 months' time.

Australia will be a pround 2nd in the group. Actually I can't really assess Ghana, Australia and Serbia. May the best win (but I rather want to see Germany win).

ssoass

immy said:
I wasn't picking slovenia, I just don't think Algeria are any better then them.

It would be stupid for either the USA or England to underestimate/forget about Algeria/Slovenia.

I don't know much about Slovenia, but Algeria will be a tough opponent.. they beat the African champions Egypt to get to the world cup and they have good players like Belhadj (Portsmouth) and Karim Ziani.

AstroLad said:
never even heard of the country until today so that should tell you something. (and yes i'm aware of small countries that are good at soccer like ivory coast because i follow soccer on sportscenter)

:lol :lol :lol

giga

bjaelke said:
I think the US ignorance is outshining the US hate on the OT tonight. To write off Slovenia and to some extend Algeria right away is just plain stupid.
Please don't judge everyone by AstroLad's comments.

IanZ

Slovenia beat Russia in the play offs. That's no easy feat.
This is not about hating the US it's only about objectively looking at the quality of the respective football teams.

And the fact that you have never heard of the country speaks more about who you are than what the country is.

Kurtofan

AstroLad said:
never even heard of the country until today so that should tell you something. (and yes i'm aware of small countries that are good at soccer like ivory coast because i follow soccer on sportscenter)
:lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's not neccesarily america hate. Slovenia was second in the qualifying, behind Slovakia, and ahead of Poland and Czech Rep.
what i'm saying is they are a mediocre squad at best, otherwise they would have gotten more international recognition by now.

did poland or czechs even qualify for the world cup? right.

otoh us finished ahead of a team that is the second best in its group. again, just going by the facts here.

Noshino

mozfan12 said:
I love seeing them fail, the British press and its fans always think they are going to be world cup champs and its always pretty hilarious to see them just fail out again and again. Otherwise, the Capello factor makes me doubt that we will see a repeat of previous WC's

So just like Mexico and the US?....

Neo C.

semiregular said:
Slovenia is that bad? I always thought they're quite good.
GAF underestimates Slovenia horribly. It won't be easy to win against their defensive strategy. Russia didn't manage to score a single goal in the second barrage game.

AstroLad said:
what i'm saying is they are a mediocre squad at best, otherwise they would have gotten more international recognition by now.

They do have international recognition... By people who actually knows it's a country.

mozfan12

Banned
Slovenia and Algeria are good teams. Algeria had to go through Egypt, which I feel is one of the few teams that I really wanted in the world cup, and Slovenia beat Russia, another team that I also felt belonged in the World Cup. Things will not be as easy as everyone expects for the US.

operon

Manaka said:
When did the ivory coast suddenly become a good team, did I miss something?

also :lol at
They have drogba so they'll win gold for diving at the olympics, I mean do well at the world cup:lol :lol

LiveWire

Noshino said:
So just like Mexico and the US?....

WTF are you talking about? US media never hypes US to win the World Cup. ESPN Soccernet picked England and Slovenia to advance. Only thing US sports media hypes is the potential to upset in any matchups against top teams cause we know how pissed the rest of the world would get if we ever beat one of their top teams in a sport most Americans could care less about. Just thinking about a US win over England makes me laugh so hard at the epic photoshops that will make fun of the British. :lol

operon said:
They have drogba so they'll win gold for diving at the olympics, I mean do well at the world cup:lol :lol

Nah Portugal have Ronaldo who is at least on level with Drogba at diving + many other good divers and cry babies.

immy

Banned
operon said:

tbh to drogba he is the best striker in the premership.

Enosh

AstroLad said:
so typical american :lol

no offence to anyone else, but it's so stereotypical one just has to laugh at it

Enosh said:
so typical american :lol

Yeah at first I actually thought it was a European guy making fun of Americans. Still not sure if he's just trolling or if he's really serious.

mozfan12 said:
Too bad they got screwed in the group of death AGAIN, I hope they make it through!

Yeah they were pretty unlucky again but I think they got a pretty good chance, especially Portugal even with all their great players dont play very well.

semiregular

Neo Member
AstroLad said:

otoh us finished ahead of a team that is the second best in its group. again, just going by the facts here.

It's getting more hilarious now.

Qualifying in Europe is tough, a European team that didn't qualify could be much better than an Asian/Oceania team that qualified, just because FIFA has to make sure every continent is represented. (And I'm speaking as an Asian myself)

I'm not saying USA is a bad team, just don't unestimate teams that 'you've never heard of'.

Edit: Hm... so this is supposed to be a joke post? Damn.

aktham

My roommate is from Ivory Coast and he's yelled out loud when Portugal was put into the group of death. He told me that people back home were saying how they can beat Brazil if they ever played a few years back and he's saying they're all sounding humble/nervous right now :lol

Let's Go Brazil!!!! :D

Manaka

operon said:

It's just that a few years ago I saw them play (also with Drogba) against Austria and they were pretty shitty (not as bad bad as Austria at that time but not good at all).

Since then I haven't seen one of their games

MPW

Milk Lizard said:
Nah Portugal have Ronaldo who is at least on level with Drogba at diving + many other good divers and cry babies.

drogba vs ronaldo

ultimate diving match

should a fun :D

imagine if drogba and ronaldo played for the same club, what a lethal combo

aktham said:
My roommate is from Ivory Coast and he's yelled out loud when Portugal was put into the group of death. He told me that people back home were saying how they can beat Brazil if they ever played a few years back and he's saying they're all sounding humble/nervous right now :lol

Let's Go Brazil!!!! :D

qft:D

Neo C.

Manaka said:
When did the ivory coast suddenly become a good team, did I miss something?
In the last ten years, they have built up some good training centers for young talents. They have now a world class team with Drogba and several upcoming stars.

Falch

AstroLad said:

Haha you're one to talk about international recognition, like the US has any.

And Poland and Czech rep. are strong opponents, Slovenia beating them is impressive for a country their size.

I'm not saying US can't win, but it won't be a walk over. And lets not pretend the US really has one top quality player in their squad.

How the hell can you comment on Slovenia anyway when you know nothing about them?

Edit: you trolling again Astro? :p

Falch

Neo C. said:
In the last ten years, they have built up some good training centers for young talents. They have now a world class team with Drogba and several upcoming stars.

Too bad they're still quite bad in tactics. They have a pretty good squad though.

Wes

venison crêpe
Spain (who will probably top theirs) would have to face the runners up of the Brazil/Ivory Coast/Portugal group.

Tasty.

operon

MPW said:
drogba vs ronaldo

ultimate diving match

should a fun :D

imagine if drogba and ronaldo played for the same club, what a lethal combo

qft:D

Aye whose going to do a GAZZA this world cup

Manaka

Neo C. said:

I always was under the impression that Drogba was the big name and the rest just a mediocre team (that was my impression the last time I saw them).
Well, in the long run it certainly pays off to let younger talents play in the team- now that I know this I'll definately look forward to their matches :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Question for the England posters..are any of the U.S players playing in the EPL considered decent, or do you just laugh at them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom