• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 Group Draw Thread of Bitter Rivalries, Ball Fixing and Groups of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magni

jamesinclair said:
I think itll be South Africa and Mexico.

Mexico will lose to SA in first game, because its the first game, and mexicans always fail against africans (see CWC)

Mexico will beat France because france sucks.

South Africa will beat France because france sucks

Uruguay will tie every one.

Hahaha you Francophobe :lol If SA beats France, I hope we get to execute Domenech NK-fashion. But since we won't lose :D
Alright, my guess:

A1 - France
A2 - Mexico

B1 - Argentina
B2 - South Korea

I'd like to see Nigeria go far though..

C1 - England
C2 - United States

England-USA = :D :D :D But I'd love to see France-Algeria as well

D1 - Germany
D2 - Ghana

I'd love to see Australia go far. Australia-New Zealand? /dreams

E1 - Netherlands
E2 - Japan

Even if Group G has stolen the thunder, this is still a mini grupo de la muerte IMO

F1 - Italy
F2 - Paraguay

Though I'd love to see New Zealand kick Italy's ass back to the boot.

G1 - Brazil
G2 - Ivory Coast

Good bye C.Ronaldo :D But I really want to see some upsets by North Korea.

H1 - Spain
H2 - Switzerland

Another close group IMO (apart from Spain of course)

My Predictions

MEXICO
FRANCE

ARGENTINA
NIGERIA

ENGLAND
SLOVENIA

GERMANY
SERBIA

NETHERLANDS
CAMEROON

ITALY
SLOVAKIA

BRAZIL
COTE D'IVOIRE

SPAIN
CHILLE

ColR100

immy said:
england 2nd favourites

:lol :lol :lol
It's because it's in England. Go abroad and we wouldn't be 2nd favourites.

Ahhh, realise it's online, but still, an English ran betting agency.

Manics

Banned
MagniHarvald said:
F1 - Italy
F2 - Paraguay

Though I'd love to see New Zealand kick Italy's ass back to the boot.

All the Italians need do on that day is bring the sheep with them to distract the New Zealanders during the match. :lol :lol

depward

Just saw someone on Twitter tweet about why Charlize was co-presenting and why they couldn't get someone from Africa to do so.

*headsmack*

IanZ

My predictions:
A: France, South Africa
B: Argentina, Nigeria
C: England, Slovenia
D: Serbia, Ghana
E: Netherlands, Cameroon
F: Italy, Slovakia
G: Brazil, Ivory Coast
H: Spain, Chile

Round of 16:
France vs Nigeria
England vs Ghana
Serbia vs Slovenia
Argentina vs S. Africa
Netherlands vs Slovakia
Brazil vs Chile
Italy vs Cameroon
Spain vs Ivory Coast

QF:
Netherlands vs Brazil
France vs England
Argentina vs Serbia
Italy vs Spain

Semi:
England vs Brazil
Argentina vs Spain

Final:
Spain vs Brazil

Winner:
Spain

I love how ESPN is still talking up Landon Donovan like he's a Rooney-level threat. In England the guy would struggle to make it into a second-division squad.

Timbuktu

Gary Whitta said:
Having said that, I don't understand why the US commentators are relishing the fact England are in their group. It betrays either a basic understanding of football, or unwarranted arrogance, or both

What are they saying? England beat the US 2-0 in a friendly not too long ago, no?

immy

Banned
ColR100 said:
It's because it's in England. Go abroad and we wouldn't be 2nd favourites.

Yeah I guess, who would gaf have as third favourites?

I would go for netherlands.

depward said:
Just saw someone on Twitter tweet about why Charlize was co-presenting and why they couldn't get someone from Africa to do so.

*headsmack*
Reminds me of the World Cup draw years ago when the US got drawn against Trinidad & Tobago and a US reporter complained that it wasn't fair to have to play two teams on the same day :lol

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Write Germany off. Out. Not gonna win. They'll rip us two arseholes.

Serbia - we can beat. Jovanic will cause problems but we are a defensive side and should hold on. One thing that scares me is that we usually score off set pieces with Tim Cahill. Gonna be hard when the likes of Vidic are marking him.

Ghana - we can beat but our midfield is gonna get ABSOLUTELY DOMINATED.

Still think we'll finish 2nd though.

BowieZ

Banned
*saves the above ":lol :lol :lol No, Germany will undoubtedly beat Australia" mockery in Notepad document for future reference.

*expects some people to be amazed and have to buy new hats.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Gary Whitta said:
Reminds me of the World Cup draw years ago when the US got drawn against Trinidad & Tobago and a US reporter complained that it wasn't fair to have to play two teams on the same day :lol
:lol

Really?

jjasper

Gary Whitta said:
Having said that, I don't understand why the US commentators are relishing the fact England are in their group. It betrays either a basic understanding of football, or unwarranted arrogance, or both

Cause it is ESPN. As soon as it was announced I am sure they got something in the headset telling them to promote the shit out of the game anyway they can.

dpp

Neo Member
I really don't think it's gonna be that easy for Brazil... in fact, they might get eliminated in the 1st round, especially since they always have a really slow start in World Cups (and get momentum as they go).

Timbuktu said:
What are they saying? England beat the US 2-0 in a friendly not too long ago, no?
Friendlies are irrelevant.

Thinking more about it though, it's all good. If Portugal or France had gotten drawn into that group I could imagine the fear but with two makeweight teams in Group C both US and England can relish their tie without having to worry too much about qualifying.

man I hope we can build on our perfomances from the confed cup wher I thought we were on the right track in terms of building a new squad I'm still pissed they brought back fat Benny Mcarthy though

Oozer3993

Gary Whitta said:

The US has never played Trinidad & Tobago in the World Cup.

BowieZ said:
*saves the above ":lol :lol :lol No, Germany will undoubtedly beat Australia" mockery in Notepad document for future reference.

I might add: Germany will trash Australia and eat their Koalas. Likeable squad though.

olimpia84

I'm originally from Paraguay...I'm very happy with the group we ended up. Italy performs better when they are under pressure so hopefully they will enter the WC very relaxed so Paraguay can surprise them :D

My predictions:

A: France, Uruguay
B: Argentina, Nigeria
C: England, USA
D: Germany, Australia
E: Netherlands, Cameroon
F: Italy, Paraguay
G: Brazil, Portugal
H: Spain, Chile

MPW

jjasper said:
Cause it is ESPN. As soon as it was announced I am sure they got something in the headset telling them to promote the shit out of the game anyway they can.

duh

can you say ratings?

should easily become the most watch usa game in wc group stage

feel bad for ppl in the western time zone, match @ 4:30 in the morning ... east coast ftw! :D

zsidane

Can't stop laughing at you guys thinking like Algeria is something like Korea DP. I WILL laugh at you in 6 months :D

jjasper

MPW said:
duh

can you say ratings?

should easily become the most watch usa game in wc group stage

Oh i know that is what I was getting at. The real question is when they put the countdown timer on the scrolling updates at the bottom of the screen. My guess is March.

CalamityDaunt said:
The bookies will make us second favs cause they rely on the patriotic spending of our nation. I'd prob put us about 4th
Yup, the bookmakers ALWAYS over-rated. It's annoying because it just bolsters English expectation, adding to the sense of disappointment when we inevitably crash out.

Ryck

I think England will beat the Usa 9 out of 10 times they play them. But there is something about the World Cup that brings the shit out England's play. I personally think it's a mental thing they over think or something either way I can see the US stealing one.

Ryck said:
I think England will beat the Usa 9 out of 10 times they play them. But there is something about the World Cup that brings the shit out England's play. I personally think it's a mental thing they over think or something either way I can see the US stealing one.

Thats England in the QF or SF, not usually Group play.

immy

Banned
CalamityDaunt said:
The bookies will make us second favs cause they rely on the patriotic spending of our nation. I'd prob put us about 4th

1.Spain
2.Brazil
3.Netherlands
4.England
5.Germany
6.Italy
7.Ivory Coast
8.Portugal

thats what I would say

Wes

venison crêpe
ENGLAND_942366a.jpg

Owensboro

Judderman said:
FUCK YES REVOLUTIONARY WAR 2
Oh man, I'm pumped for USA vs England! I hope ESPN does promote the hell out of the game, I would love to see US markets actually excited about the World Cup for once, and an opening match vs England is just the thing to make people here care. Seriously, even redneck southerners who hate "soccer" will probably watch part of that game. Bring in on England! I don't care if you beat the hell out of us, it will be a fun game to watch (and even more fun if we win!)

Oh, and if you've been wondering why N.Korea had been building Nukes, it's because they knew they'd be in Group G. Welcome to Thunder Dome.

mozfan12

Banned
I hate the US mens national team, but I want them to beat the English.

Mexico, oh dear. Tough Group for our boys........................................................................
Portugal and Ivory Coast, please qualify!

Ryck

ConfusingJazz said:
Thats England in the QF or SF, not usually Group play.
How many fans in the upper decks did Lampard knock out with his "shots on goal" last WC? They play well enough to get by but all their stars tend to play like shadows of their EPL selves.

feel

zsidane said:
Can't stop laughing at you guys thinking like Algeria is something like Korea DP. I WILL laugh at you in 6 months :D
I will root for them. We Porto fans are still grateful for Rabah Madjer.

mozfan12

Banned
Owensboro said:
Oh man, I'm pumped for USA vs England! I hope ESPN does promote the hell out of the game, I would love to see US markets actually excited about the World Cup for once, and an opening match vs England is just the thing to make people here care. Seriously, even redneck southerners who hate "soccer" will probably watch part of that game. Bring in on England! I don't care if you beat the hell out of us, it will be a fun game to watch (and even more fun if we win!)

Oh, and if you've been wondering why N.Korea had been building Nukes, it's because they knew they'd be in Group G. Welcome to Thunder Dome.

This is the world cup to promote football in the US, it should be interesting how much money and marketing they pump into the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom