• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 Group Draw Thread of Bitter Rivalries, Ball Fixing and Groups of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh so June/July is winter months in SA? I didn't know that, that's good news for Euro teams who might worry about climate as an issue.

giga

Wes said:
ENGLAND_942366a.jpg
More! Smack talk fuels us.

mozfan12

Banned
immy said:

I love seeing them fail, the British press and its fans always think they are going to be world cup champs and its always pretty hilarious to see them just fail out again and again. Otherwise, the Capello factor makes me doubt that we will see a repeat of previous WC's

Wes

venison crêpe
Gary Whitta said:
Oh so June/July is winter months in SA? I didn't know that, that's good news for Euro teams who might worry about climate as an issue.

Plus the grass for the pitches are being grown using grasses used for European stadiums (they were originally grown with the typical variety for African stadia but FIFA made them change it because "it didn't look green enough on TV" apparently).

Wes said:
Plus the grass for the pitches are being grown using grasses used for European stadiums (they were originally grown with the typical variety for African stadia but FIFA made them change it because "it didn't look green enough on TV" apparently).
I love how they think of everything :lol

immy

Banned
mozfan12 said:
I love seeing them fail, the British press and its fans always think they are going to be world cup champs and its always pretty hilarious to see them just fail out again and again. Otherwise, the Capello factor makes me doubt that we will see a repeat of previous WC's

TBH I think the whole "English people think they will win" mentality is a bit of a myth. Especially after euro 2008.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Argentina should easily top group B, unless something goes horribly wrong, is not a tough group for us.

Btw people are writing off Uruguay far too easily... they have 2 extremely talented fowards in Forlan and Luis Suarez. I don't see Mexico coming out of this group. Uru and France will come out of this one.

mernst23

Wes said:
Not completely unrealistic to be honest.

No, it completely is. Ghana is not making it out of the first round, especially against the Germans. If you are going to make an upset pick, at least pick a realistic one in the group. Australia and Serbia.

bjaelke

Wes said:
There was a 30 minute documentary on TV the other day about the guy whose company is providing the grass. It was more boring that watching golf :(

mozfan12

Banned
immy said:
TBH I think the whole "English people think they will win" mentality is a bit of a myth. Especially after euro 2008.

it is a bit of stereotype. I actually think that the England-USA game is going to be a borefest, with England winning one or two zero.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
:lol @ the people picking slovenia to advance. just when i think the america hate on OT-gaf couldn't be any more transparent.

immy said:
Yeah nobody in England expects them to win anything any more. But hope springs eternal. 30 years of hurt, never stopped believing, etc... oh shit make that 43 years of hurt now :lol

immy

Banned
AstroLad said:
:lol @ the people picking slovenia to advance. just when i think the america hate on OT-gaf couldn't be any more transparent.

I wasn't picking slovenia, I just don't think Algeria are any better then them.

bjaelke

AstroLad said:
They were able to beat Russia so can't see why they shouldn't be able to beat USA.

Ryck said:
I think England will beat the Usa 9 out of 10 times they play them. But there is something about the World Cup that brings the shit out England's play. I personally think it's a mental thing they over think or something either way I can see the US stealing one.

Not with this man in charge.

fabio_capello_802050c.jpg

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Gary Whitta said:
Yeah nobody in England expects them to win anything any more. But hope springs eternal. 30 years of hurt, never stopped believing, etc... oh shit make that 43 years of hurt now :lol

So true.
I don't expect England to win either.

semiregular

Neo Member
AstroLad said:

Slovenia is that bad? I always thought they're quite good.

mozfan12 said:

STOP READING THE FUCKING PRESS

CalamityDaunt said:
Not with this man in charge.

fabio_capello_802050c.jpg
Yeah, Capello vs Bob Bradley is like me playing Kasparov in chess and expecting to at least draw. Plus there's no comparison in the standard of players either. But that's all on paper and anything can happen on the day.

Neo C.

Group D, E, and G are tough. Germany's got a very solid African team, a good European team, and Australia plays a good game as well. Group E is all about the fight for the second place.

Btw. Spain might be on top of their group, but they'll face Brazil/Ivory Coast or Portugal in the second round (or N. Korea).

Gary Whitta said:
I love how ESPN is still talking up Landon Donovan like he's a Rooney-level threat. In England the guy would struggle to make it into a second-division squad.

When I had heard the some of the comments, I couldn't stop laughing :lol After having a good laugh I switched the channel. He is still USA's bread and butter I guess...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
semiregular said:
Slovenia is that bad? I always thought they're quite good.
never even heard of the country until today so that should tell you something. (and yes i'm aware of small countries that are good at soccer like ivory coast because i follow soccer on sportscenter)

AstroLad said:

Do you even know their team ? Slovenia is not a bad team at all, neither is the US team but no transparant hate because of that at all.

Edit
AstroLad said:
never even heard of the country until today so that should tell you something. (and yes i'm aware of small countries that are good at soccer like ivory coast because i follow soccer on sportscenter)
:lol :lol :lol

Falch

AstroLad said:

That's not neccesarily america hate. Slovenia was second in the qualifying, behind Slovakia, and ahead of Poland and Czech Rep. Also, they conceded only 4 goals and beat Russia in the knock-out match. They are a good match for the US.

bjaelke

AstroLad said:
and us were able to beat spain so they should win it all. :lol
I think the US ignorance is outshining the US hate on the OT tonight. To write off Slovenia and to some extend Algeria right away is just plain stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom