• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 Group Draw Thread of Bitter Rivalries, Ball Fixing and Groups of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
rhfb said:
tough group for the USA. They still might make it out, but I don't know...

I'm no expert, but what groups would have been easier?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Brannon said:
Any one hyping the US to win it all or win something of significant significance, well I just have to question their... everything.

But maybe there is something to it. I mean even Wal-Mart is getting in on the action as the offical World Cup product seller in the States.

I have no fucking idea how that is going to work, by the way. NASCAR. Baseball. FIFA?

Next few months are going to be fun.

I don't think anybody thinks we are going far.

but we are beating Slovenia. 1-0(og).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
operon said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol stupid fuckers
To say that this is one of the best groups the US has ever gotten, especially recently, isn't really terribly inaccurate.

England is tough (and probably 3 points we shan't be getting), and people are probably writing off Slovenia and Algeria a bit too quickly, but this is still about as close to a best case scenario as the US was going to get out of pot 2.

operon

MetatronM said:
To say that this is one of the best groups the US has ever gotten, especially recently, isn't really terribly inaccurate.

England is tough (and probably 3 points we shan't be getting), and people are probably writing off Slovenia and Algeria a bit too quickly, but this is still about as close to a best case scenario as the US was going to get out of pot 2.
I wouldn't write off slovenia and and algeria just yet

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Group A: Mexico, France
Group B: Argentina, Nigeria
Group C: England, USA
Group D: Germany, Australia
Group E: Netherlands, Denmark
Group F: Italy, Paraguay
Group G: Brazil, Portugal
Group H: Spain, Chile

Beyond that I just get into wishful thinking.

LiveWire

I'd love to see the US win a World Cup (if only for the immense bitter tears around the world :lol). The World Cup is the last sporting event the Americans have yet to conquer. But it might never happen because we have so many other US or North/Central American/Carribean sports that are immensely popular. Unless some billionaire starts donating to the USSF and nationalizing foreign talent, it would take a real Miracle on Grass (not the 1950 win) to get the US' hands on the Cup.

immy

Banned
LiveWire said:
I'd love to see the US win a World Cup (if only for the immense bitter tears around the world :lol). The World Cup is the last sporting event the Americans have yet to conquer. But it might never happen because we have so many other US or North/Central American/Carribean sports that are immensely popular. Unless some billionaire starts donating to the USSF and nationalizing foreign talent, it would take a real Miracle on Grass (not the 1950 win) to get the US' hands on the Cup.

????

really??

or is a trap gaf?

Brannon

LiveWire said:

Worst thing, even if by some holy fuck of a miracle we win, we probably won't care much. And the only thing that brews more anger than sore winners is pure, unrivaled apathy.

Magni

LiveWire said:
I'd love to see the US win a World Cup (if only for the immense bitter tears around the world :lol). The World Cup is the last major sporting event the Americans have yet to conquer. But it might never happen because we have so many other US or North/Central American/Carribean sports that are immensely popular. Unless some billionaire starts donating to the USSF and nationalizing foreign talent, it would take a real Miracle on Grass (not the 1950 win) to get the US' hands on the Cup.

fixed

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Brannon said:
Worst thing, even if by some holy fuck of a miracle we win, we probably won't care much. And the only thing that brews more anger than sore winners is pure, unrivaled apathy.

You underestimate American's love for winning at anything. Trust me, if US won the world cup, the US would party.

operon

Since they win the baseball world series every year that gotta try to win the football world cup too:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
missbreedsiddx said:
You underestimate American's love for winning at anything. Trust me, if US won the world cup, the US would party.
Yeah Americans didn't care for swimming until Michael Phelps came along :lol So winning a World Cup will go a long way to making football mainstream in the US.

giga

NetMapel said:
Yeah Americans didn't care for swimming until Michael Phelps came along :lol So winning a World Cup will go a long way to making football mainstream in the US.
And Canadians contribution to society is what? Milk in a bag?

sp-olympics-bask_0499022863.jpg

LiveWire

Let's not argue over why the USA is awesome.

Let's instead focus the thread on something we can all agree on: pictures of hot women in our respective nations' colors:

usa-soccer-fans.jpg

sexy-soccer-fans_81436.jpg

5311.jpg

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
LiveWire said:

Let's instead focus the thread on something we can all agree on: pictures of hot women in our respective nations' colors:

usa-soccer-fans.jpg

sexy-soccer-fans_81436.jpg

5311.jpg

not fair

England will win this with TEAM Keeley Hazell

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
missbreedsiddx said:

Probably not nearly as hard as all the Italians up in the north end when they won the last one. That was nuts. I went to dinner there with my wife about a week afterwards and they were still going nuts.

NetMapel said:

Uhhh... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Spitz

Americans have probably been the most invested swimming nation outside of Australia.

Walshicus

LiveWire said:

Why did you post two moderate, one ugly and just one hot woman then?

Nerevar said:
Probably not nearly as hard as all the Italians up in the north end when they won the last one. That was nuts. I went to dinner there with my wife about a week afterwards and they were still going nuts.

Uhhh...
http://wienmandu.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/00056-markspitz.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I hadn't heard of Mark Spitz until Phelps started to challenge his record in 04.

Atlagev

"This is the best draw we've ever had in any World Cup,'' said former U.S. forward Eric Wynalda, now an analyst for the Fox Soccer Channel. "No disrespect to England, but this is an ideal group for us.''

Rubezh said:

They're talking about besides England. Again, no disrespect to Algeria or Slovenia, but these are teams the U.S. *can* beat. Not will, but can. They just have to play well on the day.

Unfortunately, the U.S. has a history of getting up for big opponents (tying Italy last World Cup, beating Portugal in 2002, beating Spain in the Confederations Cup), but bringing their C game against other opponents. The trick for U.S. soccer is developing a team that can consistently play well, but they aren't there yet.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Nerevar said:

Uhhh... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Spitz

Americans have probably been the most invested swimming nation outside of Australia.
Swimming is like a fad though. Mark Spitz may have gotten swimming popular for a while, but it didn't explode in popularity like football in Europe. Now Michael Phelps comes along and I have no doubt swimming will become popular again, but we shall see if it stays. Australians have a much more consistent love for swimming and water-type sports.

Goodbye Domenech UAHUAHUAHUAHUA !
Can't wait to see France not make it past the first round :lol
Gonna have to order mexican and uruguyan shirts .

And I think that Ivory Coast can get out of that group . Brasil or Portugal will go home early .

Cohsae

Germany, Ghana and Serbia huh? Doable but not easy.
Also fuck France for getting Group A. Fuck them so goddam hard.

Capello has changed the England team. And if we can actually play a full strength team I'd fear no one.

I suppose all the injuries now to our players is gonna make them refreshed come next summer, just need Owen and Rooney to fire together and Foster to stop being a timid fuck and show what he can do.

Also :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol at any American thinking that they'll beat us.

Puck

Banned
Damn, Aus's group is going to be difficult considering our ultra conservative play, slow mobility anYd weak attack. It's hard to see us making the 16 again. My second team is Netherlands, lots of speed and skill is greatly entertaining.

NetMapel said:
So is ignorance really bliss?

depward

NetMapel said:

Wait - we like swimming?! Wha.

That sucks for the Ivory Coast to be stuck in a group with Brazil and Portugal. Very little margin for error. I think that's the group of death.

The other African nations faired a little better.

Subitai

So BBC sport shows that we (USA) finished 3rd in 1930. Anyone with any insight into how the hell that happened? This was at the beginning of the great depression, so did not all teams come with their best players or something?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
NetMapel said:

I'm more pessimistic. I don't think a USA victory in the would cup would result in anything but a short term boost in popularity.

KHarvey16

Subitai said:
So BBC sport shows that we (USA) finished 3rd in 1930. Anyone with any insight into how the hell that happened? This was at the beginning of the great depression, so did not all teams come with their best players or something?

Wikipedia says this:

Thirteen teams, nine from the Americas and four from Europe, entered the tournament. Few European teams chose to participate due to the duration and cost of travel.

Group 4

The United States dominated the fourth group. The US team, which contained a significant number of new caps, were reputedly nicknamed "the shot-putters" by an unnamed source in the French contingent.[5] They beat their first opponents, Belgium, 3–0. The ease of the victory was unexpected; Uruguayan newspaper Imparcial wrote that "the large score of the American victory has really surprised the experts".[31] Belgian reports bemoaned the state of the pitch and refereeing decisions, claiming that the second goal was offside.[31] The group's second match, played in windy conditions,[32] witnessed the first tournament hat-trick, scored by Bert Patenaude of the United States against Paraguay. Until 10 November 2006 the first hat-trick that FIFA acknowledged had been scored by Guillermo Stábile of Argentina, two days after Patenaude; however, in 2006 FIFA announced that Patenaude's claim to being the first hat-trick scorer was valid, as a goal previously assigned to teammate Tom Florie's was reattributed to Patenaude.[33] With the USA having secured qualification, the final match in the group was a dead rubber. Paraguay beat Belgium by a 1–0 margin.[21]

Semi-finals

The four group winners, Argentina, Yugoslavia, Uruguay, and the United States, moved to the semi-finals. The two semi-final matches saw identical scores. In the first semi-final, a Monti goal half-way through the first half gave Argentina a 1–0 half-time lead against the United States. In the second half the strength of the United States team was overwhelmed by the pace of the Argentinian attacks, the match finishing 6–1 to Argentina.[34]

In the second semi-final there were shades of the 1924 Summer Olympics match between Yugoslavia and Uruguay. Here, though, Yugoslavia took a surprise lead through Sekulić. Uruguay then took a 2–1 lead, but shortly before half-time Yugoslavia had a goal disallowed due to a controversial offside decision.[25] The hosts scored four more in the second half to win 6–1, Pedro Cea completing a hat-trick.[34]

Third and fourth place

The now-traditional third place playoff was not established until 1934, so the 1930 World Cup is unique in having no match take place between the semi-finals and the final. Occasional sources, notably a FIFA Bulletin from 1984, incorrectly imply that a third-place match occurred and was won 3–1 by Yugoslavia.[35] Accounts differ as a whether a third-place was originally scheduled. According to a 2009 book by Hyder Jawad, Yugoslavia refused to play a third-place match because they were upset with the refereeing in their semi-final against Uruguay.[36] A FIFA technical committee report on the 1986 World Cup included full rankings of all teams at all previous World Cup finals; this report retrospectively ranked the United States third and Yugoslavia fourth,[37] a practice since continued by FIFA.[38]

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Crisis said:
Mexico has to be loving this shit.

wow thanx CONCAGAF for your support!
:D

Mexico can beat they Ass. Round 16 here we go!
But come on, Honduras got it worse and bound to be raped.

avaya

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE UNITED STATES CRUSH ENGLAND.

DEMPSEY TO SCORE AFTER DOING THE WORLD A SERVICE AND MAIMING THE CHAVS WHO INFEST THE ENGLAND SIDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom