• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Final Fantasy - World Map and Airship

Exentryk

Devs had a stream showing off artwork, mirages, world map, airship and more.

Airship footage:
https://youtu.be/8w8iXpwzQrA

Full Stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHkn7Mmg9uM

Some screen captures:
CrGuE8GUMAA6DEg.jpg

CrGuHrTUAAA3dIz.jpg

CrGuKnkVUAAzEJT.jpg

CrGuM_KUEAE3xoQ.jpg

Lucentto

Banned
Man, this game does look better than FFXV.

Just wanted to go ahead and get that out the way.

It really does look good though, finally a game with a world map...

fvng

This looks great but it definitely does not look better than FF15

DJIzana

The art of the floating islands... reminds me a lot of Granblue Fantasy. Big time inspiration there, I feel (in a good way).

tumblr_o29vzcRcnf1uzwbyjo2_540.gif

killroy87

Man, this game looks gorgeous. I haven't been keeping up much with this, but are the battles random, or can you see enemies on the screen?

Going to be depressing but not remotely surprising when this game ends up being more fun and a better playing experience than FFXV. Hell, I'm more hyped for this one. Buying and experiencing XV feels like an obligation after so long, having to see it through after waiting this long. WoFF looks to be an actual attempt at something fresh, by contrast.

Different aesthetically. It's comparing 2 visual art styles and people will have their preference with what they prefer.

That said, I cannot wait for this game! It's going to give major throwback feels.

Square-Enix could have adopted the Skylanders model for this and made a killing.

I'm glad they didn't, but keep the figures coming.

muteki

I only watched the short video, I guess you can't walk around the map on foot? There doesn't seem to be enough space to make it worth it. That being the case, can you only land on landmarks (the "pins"?)

That is a nice representation of a map (and much better than something like FFX's airship menu) but doesn't recreate the world maps of old in the same way that something like Ni No Kuni or Type-0 does.

Came into this thread for a world map, an airship, and the daily reminder that some people thinks this looks better than FFXV. I wasn't disappointed on any front.

Those people aren't wrong though.

So they're right and we can toss opinions and subjectivity out the window.

I'm excited for this, it looks like a nice nostalgic throwback, but it isn't pushing the series forward and I don't see why this needs to be paraded in every single thread.

Exentryk

I only watched the short video, I guess you can't walk around the map on foot? There doesn't seem to be enough space to make it worth it. That being the case, can you only land on landmarks (the "pins"?)

That is a nice representation of a map (and much better than something like FFX's airship menu) but doesn't recreate the world maps of old in the same way that something like Ni No Kuni or Type-0 does.

Not sure. Maybe they explained it in the stream? Will need help from our Japanese speaking brothers for that.

Have there been any previews from people that have been able to play it yet?

Playstation Access got to play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUGSNxfnsFE

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm really looking forward to this game. It looks great. I have the Vita version pre-ordered. I'll probably pick up the PS4 version if I like it a lot and it goes on sale. I just have more time to game on the go than at home (although I've been squeezing in some Deus Ex and No Man's Sky whenever I can).

So they're right and we can toss opinions and subjectivity out the window.

I'm excited for this, it looks like a nice nostalgic throwback, but it isn't pushing the series forward and I don't see why this needs to be paraded in every single thread.

Hey I'm all about opinions, but sorry if I disagree. WoFF looks better as a whole package than FFXV.
Art style we can agree both are nothing like each other, but as far as jrpg goes, WoFF has taken the right steps unlike FFXV which appears to be a mess.

Until both are released, I'll stand by that, so I hope that I'm really wrong and FFXV delivers something good.

Hey I'm all about opinions, but sorry if I disagree. WoFF looks better as a whole package than FFXV.
Art style we can agree both are nothing like each other, but as far as jrpg goes, WoFF has taken the right steps unlike FFXV which appears to be a mess.

I have no qualms with that. I don't think it appears to be a mess, the newer media has been a lot better and hands-on impressions from the press/show floor are positive. It's that some people use World of FF threads for the sole purpose of reminding everyone that they think it looks better than FFXV. I don't see the point of that at all, and it's basically backhanded negativity toward XV which isn't even out yet.

It's basically "I'd rather talk about my negativity/concerns toward XV than talk about World of FF or whatever's actually being presented in the thread."

jett

D-Member
When it comes to presentation this game is really nailing it.

Too bad it has random encounters (in 2016!) and slow-ass battles.

The first concept art they made for this game 3 years ago. They also made the joke about it being similar to DQ Builders, but said this was made before that even existed.

I see. Aside from Ultros, I wounder if those other FF enemies are in the game.

Damn, I hope Light wears her original outfit in the game.

mortal

Those controls look rather cumbersome to be honest. I'm getting KH gummi ship vibes too, which also had clunky controls.

I'd have preferred a full on world map with hidden secrets rather than effectively just a 3D mission selection screen, but it's better than nothing! Although it does seem sometimes fairly awkward to know where you'll end up with the variable heights of the separate floating islands.

Still don't love the art style either, but hey, I'm still in.

Am I the only one who still likes random battles and classic turn based combat?

The first concept art they made for this game 3 years ago. They also made the joke about it being similar to DQ Builders, but said this was made before that even existed.

Would have preferred it if they stuck to that art style damn :(

-------------

Game looks amazing and I know I'm gonna love these turn based battles. Will be perfect to play as a tribute to the series before the true prize...XV (which imo looks a gazillion times better and more ambitious)

Top Bottom