• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Final Fantasy - World Map and Airship

jett

D-Member
Mostly random, sometimes you see them.

Depends on the settings.

You can fast forward, why should you have to? I see nothing in this game that prevents it from having a FFX-style system where each turn is immediate. That slow ATB bar (although it's not really active at all) seems utterly pointless.

Teknoman

Imo random encounters are still the best. I'd rather be able to enjoy being surprised with enemies are in an area. That said, a good mix would be even better, with special enemies on screen and standard as random enc.

As long as the encounter rate is fair, it's not an issue.

Also turn based for life. New spins on the system are always welcome. We been over this lots of times but turn based doesn't always = slow.

The art of the floating islands... reminds me a lot of Granblue Fantasy. Big time inspiration there, I feel (in a good way).

tumblr_o29vzcRcnf1uzwbyjo2_540.gif

I doubt it. If anything, I think FF was the inspiration for the above.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
When it comes to presentation this game is really nailing it.

Too bad it has random encounters (in 2016!) and slow-ass battles.

The random battles aren't looked at as a con by people outside of GAF, same with the high hour count. Also, the battles aren't slow because you can manually adjust their speed in the options setting

Phaezyk

That world map is sort of giving me Mystic Quest vibes, which is OK, because I liked Mystic Quest as a kid and I know there's more to it here. Great visuals, lots of charm, and music by Hamauzu? Sign me the FF-uck up!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The disjointed floating islands aren't really a world map like what the first 9 games had. They're functionally more like just a menu where you select where you wanna go, like in X and X-2, cuz you don't navigate any sort of field or interact with it much.

It's a step in the right direction for sure.

gwarm01

I love the look of the world map. I just wish they could make this style of game but ditch the overly chibi characters. Hopefully the game has an interesting story, because it seems like every time they make a "throwback" style game the story is an after thought.

Exentryk

Have we been to identify the island/game works? I thought I recognized a beach island that looked like Besaid from FFX.

Yeah, there will be old areas that we can visit. So stuff like Besaid, Balamb Garden, etc. should be expected. I haven't looked through all the trailers for this game, but I might get around to it.

Yeah, there will be old areas that we can visit. So stuff like Besaid, Balamb Garden, etc. should be expected. I haven't looked through all the trailers for this game, but I might get around to it.

Confirmed areas so far are

Besaid - Final Fantasy X
Figaro Castle - Final Fantasy VI
Cornelia - Final Fantasy
Balamb Garden - Final Fantasy VIII
Library of the Ancients - Final Fantasy V
Saronia - Final Fantasy III

Exentryk

Confirmed areas so far are

Besaid - Final Fantasy X
Figaro Castle - Final Fantasy VI
Cornelia - Final Fantasy
Balamb Garden - Final Fantasy VIII
Library of the Ancients - Final Fantasy V
Saronia - Final Fantasy III

Nice!

In other news, the official website updated with images of characters, locations, etc.:

PseqnBv.png

Oh totally. The two have borrowed from each other, for sure. xD

Isn't Granblue from 2014? There is nothing new in the floating islands motif...FF has been doing it for probably 20 years plus. In terms of aesthetics, I don't think FF has traditionally at least been a follower. It has been a trendsetter. I actually think it played a big role in popularising the funky hair trend that took off in Japan (particularlly FFVII). Of course, it has been influenced by many other projects, but in this case I am a bit sceptical.

Top Bottom