• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Software Sales

DarkMehm

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

thx, that's more up-to-date. Mine was from 04. Here it is:

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Syb said:
Umm dude, you are aware that the Nintendo figure includes all titles with the Nintendo seal of approval? Oh wait, did you actually think that 2,000,000,000 Nintendo-developed/published games had been sold? LOL! Its an umbrella figure, it should read more like "2 Billion games have been sold on Nintendo platforms"...

Although people only buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games amirite? I have no friggin clue. :lol

Just to put it into perspective over 1 Billion games have been sold on the PS2, thats one platform in something like five years, thats using the same method I believe. Oh and when you include PS1 software sales I wouldn't be suprised if Sony's total was within 2 Billion. :D
As of March 31st 2006 (rounded to the nearest 10 million).

Total SW shipped on Nintnedo HW (NES/SNES/N64/GCN/GB/GBC/GBA/DS) = 2.18 billion

Total SW shipped on Sony HW (PS/PS2/PSP) = 2.06 billion

Fuzzy said:
As of March 31st 2006 (rounded to the nearest 10 million).

Total SW shipped on Nintnedo HW (NES/SNES/N64/GCN/GB/GBC/GBA/DS) = 2.18 billion

Total SW shipped on Sony HW (PS/PS2/PSP) = 2.06 billion

Has Nintendo ever announced cumulative sales of their own published games? That's much more interesting than system software sales.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Leondexter said:
Has Nintendo ever announced cumulative sales of their own published games? That's much more interesting than system software sales.
I think cumulative sales of Nintendo published games are somwhere between 600m and 800m worldwide. :D

ioi

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Are you still having trouble with Sega sales. There has to be more than 5 Genesis games over 1 million.

Yeah, I only have the major ones at the moment. Others are very hard to come by for accurate data, but the more I can unearth the more I'll put up.

kia said:
I think cumulative sales of Nintendo published games are somwhere between 600m and 800m worldwide. :D

Well just searching Nintendo stuff on that site comes up with 194 million sellers and 774m sales between them, so with all the non million sellers I'd expect 850-900m maybe.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
ioi said:
Well just searching Nintendo stuff on that site comes up with 194 million sellers and 774m sales between them, so with all the non million sellers I'd expect 850-900m maybe.
Then its better :)

ioi said:

Wow. I wonder if they'll brag when they hit a billion.

ioi

Banned
Leondexter said:
Wow. I wonder if they'll brag when they hit a billion.

Well they could be higher than that. How many games have Nintendo published in total? The top 194 of them have sold nearly 800m, I'd imagine the other 300-400 probably sold some decent combined numbers as well. Interesting that the Sims is actually the biggest selling non-Nintendo game to date, beating out GT3 and the GTAs.

Also interesting to see that Nintendogs has already outsold all GBA games apart from Pokemon R/S and FR/LG (although it will only be a matter of time for the latter) and should have a shot at 10m.

ioi quick question:

Is your site disallowed from posting NPD data as well? Because it's well available and out there, and your site has very complete Japanese sales figures, but not North American.

ioi

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
ioi quick question:

Is your site disallowed from posting NPD data as well? Because it's well available and out there, and your site has very complete Japanese sales figures, but not North American.

Well there are plans to add NPD in the future

Cool. Any information you need in order to do so? If the site had semi-complete NPDs, it'd be the most significant thing on the site, and probably on the web as far as game sales go.

ioi said:
Well they could be higher than that. How many games have Nintendo published in total? The top 194 of them have sold nearly 800m, I'd imagine the other 300-400 probably sold some decent combined numbers as well. Interesting that the Sims is actually the biggest selling non-Nintendo game to date, beating out GT3 and the GTAs.

Also interesting to see that Nintendogs has already outsold all GBA games apart from Pokemon R/S and FR/LG (although it will only be a matter of time for the latter) and should have a shot at 10m.

If they were at a billion, they should've mentioned it last year when Microsoft was bragging about "reaching a billion people" with the 360.

http://www.gwlvideos.com/Vids/E32005/billion_xbox.mpg

J Allard: "One billion people will play our games!"

Nintendo: "Been there, done that."

:D

ioi

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
Cool. Any information you need in order to do so? If the site had semi-complete NPDs, it'd be the most significant thing on the site, and probably on the web as far as game sales go.

Well, I don't think they would be all that pleased with the latest accurate data being posted. Rounded data on the other hand may be more acceptable, and could be presented in a similar format to the japanese data on the site already so that you can compare games, produce graphs and so on, look at trends.

If there is enough demand then I may work on it a bit over the next couple of months, and if anyone wants to help me then let me know!

apujanata

Ioi,

Do you have an easy (to be accessed from internet) and reliable source for Europe Hardware Sales ? (monthly or yearly data should be sufficient). I assume you somehow get data for Europe sales for your rest-of-the-world data.

ioi

Banned
apujanata said:
Ioi,

Do you have an easy (to be accessed from internet) and reliable source for Europe Hardware Sales ? (monthly or yearly data should be sufficient). I assume you somehow get data for Europe sales for your rest-of-the-world data.

I'll be totally honest, some of the European data is a little shaky- some is straight from the publisher, some is taken from subtracting the NA and Japanese sales from the Worldwide data, and some is extrapolated from UK / France and sometimes Spanish / German data to represent the whole of europe, and compared to other games of which the European data is known as is the relative performance in the countries that data is available for.

As with all this data, if anyone has any numbers that may be of use in improving the accuracy of the chart then please let me know!!

Top Bottom