• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Software Sales

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
HAOHMARU said:
Where the hell is Sonic the Hedgehog 2? That sold an ass-ton on the Genny.
He mentioned that Sega sucks ass when it comes to making their numbers available. Did you read what he had at the bottom of that list?
Note this list is still work in progress. It currently lists all Nintendo, Square, Enix and Capcom games (data for all of which are publically available and very accurate) and select games from other Publishers. Keep checking back as more games are added. Totals in most cases are as of Dec 2005, and we do not take responsibility if games have sold more by now- the list will be updated as regularly as possible.

Fuzzy

It would be nice if MS platform titles were green so they're not white like Sega platform titles. :)

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
It would be nice if MS platform titles were green so they're not white like Sega platform titles. :)

Done, and updated the first post with XB and GC games now....

Fuzzy

ioi said:
Top 20 GC Games
Code:
Game				Pub	       Japan  America	Others	Total
Smash Bros Melee		Nintendo	1.39	3.60	1.06	6.05
Mario Kart: Double Dash		Nintendo	0.87	3.36	1.78	6.01
Super Mario Sunshine		Nintendo	0.85	3.42	1.29	5.56
The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker	Nintendo	0.86	2.41	1.05	4.32
Luigis Mansion			Nintendo	0.42	2.13	0.72	3.27
Metroid Prime			Nintendo	0.12	1.92	0.73	2.77
Pokemon Collosseum		Nintendo	0.71	1.17	0.62	2.50
Mario Party 4			Nintendo	0.91	1.13	0.39	2.43
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle	Sega	        0.23	1.47	0.63	2.33
Animal Crossing			Nintendo	0.66	1.43	0.15	2.24
Mario Party 5			Nintendo	0.69	0.96	0.36	2.01
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2	LucasArts	0.03	1.03	0.82	1.88
Starfox Adventures		Nintendo	0.32	0.95	0.58	1.85
Sonic Mega Collection		Sega	        0.07	1.24	0.40	1.71
Pikmin				Nintendo	0.56	0.78	0.27	1.61
Mario Party 6			Nintendo	0.58	0.85	0.16	1.59
Paper Mario 2			Nintendo	0.46	0.79	0.26	1.51
Soul Calibur 2			Namco	        0.14	1.00	0.30	1.44
Kirbys Air Ride			Nintendo	0.45	0.80	0.12	1.37
Super Monkey Ball		Sega    	0.14	0.85	0.38	1.37
There's a big surprise.

Nintendo - 15
Sega - 3
Namco - 1
LucasArts - 1

AniHawk

Fuzzy said:
There's a big surprise.

Nintendo EAD - 6
Sega - 3
Hudson - 3
HAL - 2
Rareware - 1
Namco - 1
Intelligent Systems - 1
Retro Studios - 1
GameFreak - 1
LucasArts - 1

What's the surprise? That Nintendo fans support a wide variety of developers? Hell, they even support developers that don't make games for the system anymore. Pretty good I might say.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Fuzzy said:
There's a big surprise.

Nintendo - 15
Sega - 3
Namco - 1
LucasArts - 1

Where the heck is RE4? It got over a million and a half last I recall.

edit: wait, nevermind. sorry

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ioi said:
Have updated with more games and a bit of a makeover... let me know what you think!
I still think you suck for not being consistent and citing your sources. :)

ioi

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
I still think you suck for not being consistent and citing your sources. :)

Consistent? In what way?

And what exactly do you mean by citing the sources? You want me to list every single financial report / piece of leaked data / calculation / whitepaper / old saved webpage that no longer exists etc used to compile the list? That would probably take almost as long to put together as the chart itself.

where did you get the others numbers, because by only looking at them you'll now that they are incorrect. SSBM sold way more then a million in eu, that's for sure.

ioi

Banned
Cold Shadow said:
where did you get the others numbers, because by only looking at them you'll now that they are incorrect. SSBM sold way more then a million in eu, that's for sure.

Well evidentally it didn't... why do you think it sold way more than a million? Don't forget GC userbase is only abut 4.5m in "others"

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What did Kingdom Hearts II do in japan?

And seeing something like Two Towers on there over something like Dragon Quest VIII just seems odd to me, heh

I use this list because it's very helpful. Though my Smash number is higher (I have it at 1.5 million in EU/Other for 6.52 worldwide) the rest seems very accurate.

This, as you know, is all accessbile in TEVS. Which unfortunately has been delayed this month because I have to figure out a way to get some NPD updates for it...

ioi

Banned
LanceStern said:
I use this list because it's very helpful. Though my Smash number is higher (I have it at 1.5 million in EU/Other for 6.52 worldwide) the rest seems very accurate.

This, as you know, is all accessbile in TEVS. Which unfortunately has been delayed this month because I have to figure out a way to get some NPD updates for it...

Smash Bros number is bang on I'm afraid! Where did you get the 1.5m EU/Other number from?

lancubap

For Gamecube there's only and always the Nintendo Software Domination.

A Plus, because Nintendo make a lot of money even without sell a ton of console.
A Minus, because the Third Party Support is low.

That's good and bad for Nintendo at the same time. I doubt that this situation will change some day.

BirdBomb

Banned
Wow are those Halo 2 numbers right? Some moron fanboy at work is always going on about how Halo 2 has sold over 10 million copies worldwide. Not that I believed him but holy crap like 4 PS2 games sold more than Halo 2 :lol

ioi

Banned
BirdBomb said:
Wow are those Halo 2 numbers right? Some moron fanboy at work is always going on about how Halo 2 has sold over 10 million copies worldwide. Not that I believed him but holy crap like 4 PS2 games sold more than Halo 2 :lol

Yeah but those 4 games are Gran Turismo and 3 GTAs, there's not a lot that will beat those in the current climate.

Is there anyone else out there who thinks Nintendogs will do 10m? (4.5m Europe, 4.5m NA, 1.5m Japan)?

Rlan

You wouldn't per chance happen to have any N-Gage sales figures, would you? I'd love to see just how much the damn thing bombed, but I guess it would be hard to figure out with Phone company bundles etc.

I'm specifically looking for sales data for Sonic N.

ioi said:
Yeah but those 4 games are Gran Turismo and 3 GTAs, there's not a lot that will beat those in the current climate.

Is there anyone else out there who thinks Nintendogs will do 10m? (4.5m Europe, 4.5m NA, 1.5m Japan)?

FFX also beats Halo 2. So much for being "dead."

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Glad to see Super Monkey Ball has took over 1 million in sales.

My fondest multiplayer Gamecube memories are of late nights playing Monkey Target, Golf and Bowling.

Monk

Banned
See amir0x, now would have been a good time to blast ioi for his deliberate pimping of his favourite company. But instead you did it too early and made yourself look like a tool. In future please use patience, kthx bye. :p

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
ioi said:

yeah, I think it will do 9m - 10m worldwide.

ioi

Banned
ziran said:
shipped figures in japan from the latest brain age press release:
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060405/kyodo/d8gpkp900.html

brain training 1 - 2 million
brain training 2 - 1.9 million

Indeed, and as of last week we had 2.48m for Animal Crossing announced by Iwata at GDC and 1.19m for Brain Flex.

WHich, shock horror, seem much closer to the 'adjusted' numbers I use on the Japanese weekly section of E&N than Media Create / Famitsu:

As of this week (AC shipped numbers is as of a week ago, so take 90k off):

Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Nintendo 2,484,250
Brain Training DS Nintendo 1,979,500
Brain Training 2 DS Nintendo 1,847,750
Brain Flex DS Nintendo 1,179,500

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japtotals.php?name=&maker=&console=DS

Which is very close to the shipment figure, given that we already know that Nintendo tend to be very efficient with shipments and don't ship much more at a given point than has been sold, this all ties up nicely.

Note: the weekly numbers are derived from a combination of the shipment numbers given by publishers and the weekly sales trends given by data services such as Famitsu and Media Create.

el Croux said:
The Singstar series, as of Dec 2005 has sold 3.6 million copies over four games (One, Singstar 80's was released just before then) so at least one, probably the original is a million seller.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_release.php?aid=14968

Towards the bottom.

Great find! There are definitely games like this that are still missing, especially European-only games which are very difficult to find data for, so thanks!

If people know of any more omissions then please keep them coming, also any kind soul with data that may be of use is free to pm me or whatever... :D

ioi

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
Could ask the same about MGS3.

Anyway, is there any more info about that sales of RE4 on both the GC and PS2?

Not as yet, will update when it comes in.

And yeah, MGS3 and GT4 dropped off quite a bit compared to previous versions, same will happen with FF XII I think.

Jiggy

Do the figures on the site include limited edition releases such as director's cuts and whatnot? If not, why not? If so, why aren't Pokemon Yellow/Crystal/Emerald combined with R/G/B, G/S, and R/S respectively?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
RaijinFY said:
Should be at ~1.1m right now!

Less than KH 1 :(

Do we really expect it to do 3 million in NA?
Well, I don't watch a lot of TV, and I've seen the commerical a buncha times... that always helps, haha.

Good game though.

ioi

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Do the figures on the site include limited edition releases such as director's cuts and whatnot? If not, why not? If so, why aren't Pokemon Yellow/Crystal/Emerald combined with R/G/B, G/S, and R/S respectively?

It does indeed. Well I've kind of followed how Nintendo themselves release the data and how tracking firms tend to publish it. Yellow was released a good year after R/G/B so although it is an extension to the first game I do think it's significantly different to warrant a seperate entry. Most people will buy either Red or Blue, but I'd have thought a large number of them will go back and buy Yellow as well when it comes out.

ziran

ioi said:
Indeed, and as of last week we had 2.48m for Animal Crossing announced by Iwata at GDC and 1.19m for Brain Flex.

WHich, shock horror, seem much closer to the 'adjusted' numbers I use on the Japanese weekly section of E&N than Media Create / Famitsu:

As of this week (AC shipped numbers is as of a week ago, so take 90k off):

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japtotals.php?name=&maker=&console=DS

Which is very close to the shipment figure, given that we already know that Nintendo tend to be very efficient with shipments and don't ship much more at a given point than has been sold, this all ties up nicely.

Note: the weekly numbers are derived from a combination of the shipment numbers given by publishers and the weekly sales trends given by data services such as Famitsu and Media Create.
i'm wondering what each brain training will end up selling in japan? their sales are continuing to be just astonishing! i mean is it feesible for each game to top 5 million? they are (relatively) cheap and have such universal appeal, their potential is very difficult to estimate.

similarly for animal crossing. is 4 million+ possible?

ioi

Banned
ziran said:
i'm wondering what each brain training will end up selling in japan? their sales are continuing to be just astonishing! i mean is it feesible for each game to top 5 million? they are (relatively) cheap and have such universal appeal, their potential is very difficult to estimate.

similarly for animal crossing. is 4 million+ possible?

Well we are in unprecidented territory really, and the only comparison that comes even close is the original Pokemon.

All three titles are well beyond any type of sales pattern. To be honest the way I'd look at it is as follows:

-The games will continue to sell in the top 10 at 50k+ a week for a certain time. You have to imagine that sales will drop off eventually, but who knows when? I can certainly see it continuing through April and early May just because of the strength of the hardware which seems to be driving software at the moment, but after that who knows? If AC / BT2 continues at around 80k a week and BT at 50k until mid-May we'll be at:

Animal Crossing- 3.0m
Brain Training- 2.3m
Brain Training 2- 2.4m

-At some point you have to see the games tail off. If this does start to happen mid-May (no reason necessarily why it should, but worst case) then if you compare to something like Pokemon Red/Green/Blue (which obviously had a stupidly huge period of selling about 150k a week and then dropped back down to more reasonable levels in about week 100 after the 2nd xmas) then the title still sold another 1.5m after that. I think that even when these games do begin to drop back to sub 30k a week, they will still have another million left in them at least and Brain Trainings maybe moreso that AC, an advantage of being released towards the start of a systems life.

Based on all this, as a MINIMUM I'd have to say that the following is achievable.

Animal Crossing- 4.0m
Brain Training- 3.5m
Brain Training 2- 3.8m

And if I was being a betting man and assuming that this current period will probably last even longer through the year, I'd say:

Animal Crossing- 4.5m
Brain Training- 4.0m
Brain Training 2- 4.3m

Which would put the games easily in the top ten EVER in Japan and really would be more than any Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Mario Kart and so on have ever sold. You have to look forward to the release of Pokemon D/P towards the end of the year and whether that will boost or eat into the sales of these games, I suspect the former and you'd have to guess Pokemon at around 6m as well, so the list of 4-million sellers in Japan could look something like:

Pokemon R/B/G- 10.23
Pokemon G/S- 7.21
Super Mario Bros- 6.81
Pokemon D/P- 6.50
Pokemon R/S- 5.29
Animal Crossing- 4.50
Brain Training 2- 4.30

Tetris- 4.24
Super Mario Land- 4.19
Dragon Quest VII- 4.12
Brain Training- 4.00

Scary stuff indeed !

ioi

Banned
Rlan said:
You wouldn't per chance happen to have any N-Gage sales figures, would you? I'd love to see just how much the damn thing bombed, but I guess it would be hard to figure out with Phone company bundles etc.

I'm specifically looking for sales data for Sonic N.

Sorry for the late reply, I completely missed this post to start with. I don't have any data for N-Gage and to be honest I doubt if anything even comes close to 1m. If anyone does have any data they can dig up though, would be most appreciated :D

Your list sucks, there's way too many EA games in there. Fix it.

Thanks a bunch actually, that is some dang fascinating stuff right there.

Syb

lancubap said:
And if we see the total sales since 1980, when Nintendo has founded this business, it is clear that Nintendo is still the leader: 2.06 billions videogames & 360 millions systems sold.

Umm dude, you are aware that the Nintendo figure includes all titles with the Nintendo seal of approval? Oh wait, did you actually think that 2,000,000,000 Nintendo-developed/published games had been sold? LOL! Its an umbrella figure, it should read more like "2 Billion games have been sold on Nintendo platforms"...

Although people only buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games amirite? I have no friggin clue. :lol

Just to put it into perspective over 1 Billion games have been sold on the PS2, thats one platform in something like five years, thats using the same method I believe. Oh and when you include PS1 software sales I wouldn't be suprised if Sony's total was within 2 Billion. :D

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It has come out of Mehm's mouth, which is quite a good source ;).

DarkMehm

I've got it from Namcos report, it was 184k. But this number is not very up-to-date I must say. So it must be even higher by now.

Top Bottom