• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Software Sales

ioi

Banned
Well Sony traditionally round their numbers up and since it's so inaccurate (i.e by the time it's published it's wrong already) then I thought 1 d.p would be fine.

I'll double check the NES number... although it's only 19.20m vs 19.23m :p

Edit:
You've raised an interesting point actually. The latest data I have here has-
NES 19.35m
SNES 17.17m

And the others are the same. This does happen sometimes. I guess a miniscule amount of SNESs are still being sold, and didn't Nintendo re-release the NES a few times under various special editions and stuff?

It could also be the result of going back and recalculating the old figures, I dunno.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ioi said:
Well Sony traditionally round their numbers up and since it's so inaccurate (i.e by the time it's published it's wrong already) then I thought 1 d.p would be fine.

I'll double check the NES number... although it's only 19.20m vs 19.23m :p
I'm just nit-picking since I think you should post them as they appear. :)

BTW do you have the breakdown of GB/GBC HW by region? I'd like to know it if possible.

Beowvlf

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I feel bad for ioi. If I posted this thread nothing would have been argued, except for Monorojo and probably Heian-kyo.
No arguments from me, just the prerequisite eye rolls due to yet another damn sales numbers thread that's been posted for one reason, and one reason only: to give crazed Nintendo fans yet another opportunity to fap. There is never any discussion, rhetoric or even the slightest dissection of sales or trends outside of bland Paint charts filled with arrows labeled 'OMG DS MASSIVE SHORTAGE HERE' or 'LOLLEASTER!'.

None of this would be a problem if most Nintendo fans weren't the most insecure gamers in the world, constantly trying to reassure to themselves their devotion and love to the company. It's not enough to enjoy Nintendo's games and be a huge fan of all that they've done (as I am, and have stated numerous times), but one must also continually repost said (overly emphasized) love and never, ever question and/or state anything negative about the company in any post. Ever.

Shit is a joke.

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
I'm just nit-picking since I think you should post them as they appear. :)

BTW do you have the breakdown of GB/GBC HW by region? I'd like to know it if possible.

I don't exactly but it can be pretty closely estimated by looking back at 98/99 yearly reports and assuming that everything sold once GBC was released was GBC and before GB. The GB yearly breakdown gives some clues, but I can get the actual figures if you want. Again, it's in one of the older yearly reports (the yearly breakdown).

Edit, here it is:

Code:
[b]Year	Japan	USA	Europe	Yearly	Total[/b]
1990	 2.27 	 1.66 		 3.93 	 3.93 
1991	 2.80 	 3.05 	 2.21 	 8.06 	 11.99 
1992	 2.20 	 3.04 	 5.43 	 10.67 	 22.66 
1993	 1.70 	 3.26 	 2.84 	 7.80 	 30.46 
1994	 1.10 	 3.71 	 2.66 	 7.47 	 37.93 
1995	 0.90 	 2.26 	 2.42 	 5.58 	 43.51 
1996	 1.45 	 1.28 	 1.43 	 4.16 	 47.67 
1997	 2.60 	 1.57 	 2.92 	 7.09 	 54.76 
1998	 4.28 	 2.79 	 3.95 	 11.02 	 65.78 
1999	 4.67 	 3.21 	 3.75 	 11.63 	 77.41 
2000	 4.18 	 7.36 	 5.91 	 17.45 	 94.86 
2001	 3.37 	 8.61 	 6.88 	 18.86 	 113.72 
2002	 0.91 	 2.13 	 1.65 	 4.69 	 118.42 
2003	 0.04 	 0.13 	 0.10 	 0.27 	 118.69

The "year" represents the 12 month period ending March that year. So if you take upto March 98 + half of Mar 98-Mar 99 as GB and after that GBC (reasonable as GBC launched big but GB probably had small sales into 99 onwards) then you have something like:

Rough figures for GB/GBC
Code:
[b]Year	Japan	USA	Europe	Total[/b]
GB	 21.64 	 24.23 	 25.74 	 71.60 
GBC	 10.84 	 19.84 	 16.42 	 47.09

And some nice graphs: here

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Heian-kyo said:
Shit is a joke.
I honestly don't think Nintendo fans are any more insecure than xbox or PS fans. They are all as bad as each other. If anything people are complaining more about nintendo fans at the minute because they finally have something to smile about sales wise, therefore making everyone else insecure.

NWO

Heian-kyo said:
No arguments from me, just the prerequisite eye rolls due to yet another damn sales numbers thread that's been posted for one reason, and one reason only: to give crazed Nintendo fans yet another opportunity to fap. There is never any discussion, rhetoric or even the slightest dissection of sales or trends outside of bland Paint charts filled with arrows labeled 'OMG DS MASSIVE SHORTAGE HERE' or 'LOLLEASTER!'.

None of this would be a problem if most Nintendo fans weren't the most insecure gamers in the world, constantly trying to reassure to themselves their devotion and love to the company. It's not enough to enjoy Nintendo's games and be a huge fan of all that they've done (as I am, and have stated numerous times), but one must also continually repost said (overly emphasized) love and never, ever question and/or state anything negative about the company in any post. Ever.

Shit is a joke.

If sales threads get your panties in a bunch so much then just stay out of them....or are you just a person who likes to bitch about something but secretly can't get enough of it?

Fuzzy

ioi said:
I don't exactly but it can be pretty closely estimated by looking back at 98/99 yearly reports and assuming that everything sold once GBC was released was GBC and before GB. The GB yearly breakdown gives some clues, but I can get the actual figures if you want. Again, it's in one of the older yearly reports (the yearly breakdown).

Edit, here it is:

Code:
[b]Year	Japan	USA	Europe	Yearly	Total[/b]
1990	 2.27 	 1.66 		 3.93 	 3.93 
1991	 2.80 	 3.05 	 2.21 	 8.06 	 11.99 
1992	 2.20 	 3.04 	 5.43 	 10.67 	 22.66 
1993	 1.70 	 3.26 	 2.84 	 7.80 	 30.46 
1994	 1.10 	 3.71 	 2.66 	 7.47 	 37.93 
1995	 0.90 	 2.26 	 2.42 	 5.58 	 43.51 
1996	 1.45 	 1.28 	 1.43 	 4.16 	 47.67 
1997	 2.60 	 1.57 	 2.92 	 7.09 	 54.76 
1998	 4.28 	 2.79 	 3.95 	 11.02 	 65.78 
1999	 4.67 	 3.21 	 3.75 	 11.63 	 77.41 
2000	 4.18 	 7.36 	 5.91 	 17.45 	 94.86 
2001	 3.37 	 8.61 	 6.88 	 18.86 	 113.72 
2002	 0.91 	 2.13 	 1.65 	 4.69 	 118.42 
2003	 0.04 	 0.13 	 0.10 	 0.27 	 118.69

The "year" represents the 12 month period ending March that year. So if you take upto March 98 + half of Mar 98-Mar 99 as GB and after that GBC (reasonable as GBC launched big but GB probably had small sales into 99 onwards) then you have something like:

Rough figures for GB/GBC
Code:
[b]Year	Japan	USA	Europe	Total[/b]
GB	 21.64 	 24.23 	 25.74 	 71.60 
GBC	 10.84 	 19.84 	 16.42 	 47.09

And some nice graphs: here
That's pretty close to the actual worldwide split for the GB/GBC (69.42/49.27).

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
That's pretty close to the actual worldwide split for the GB/GBC (69.42/49.27).

Well there you go.

Although, where did that number come from? ;-)

Also interesting (oh my god he's back to talking about how well the DS is doing) to note that the GB's best year in Japan was Mar 98-Mar 99 with the GBC launch and strong Pokemon sales etc at 4.67m and I think that's probably the best 12 month period ever for a console in Japan, so that's what the DS has to beat this year.

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:

Well I think that intelligent chap seems to have biased the split more towards the GBC launch (which as you can see from the figures had a fair impact) for the Mar 98-Mar 99 period, although in hindsight he should probably have accounted for the fact that it was only out for 4 months of that period and the GB for 12 and the GB had a lot of momentum going into it, so I'd say this split is maybe a little closer although we can argue the toss over the 2-3m if you want....

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Heian-kyo said:

Shit is a joke.

If Sony and Xbox fanboys weren't as insecure as you think, they wouldn't be getting their panties in a bunch so much. :p

Fuzzy

ioi said:
Well I think that intelligent chap seems to have biased the split more towards the GBC launch (which as you can see from the figures had a fair impact) for the Mar 98-Mar 99 period, although in hindsight he should probably have accounted for the fact that it was only out for 4 months of that period and the GB for 12 and the GB had a lot of momentum going into it, so I'd say this split is maybe a little closer although we can argue the toss over the 2-3m if you want....
Nah, that guy was probably just pulling numbers out of his ass. I think I'll trust you instead. :lol

ioi said:
Also interesting (oh my god he's back to talking about how well the DS is doing) to note that the GB's best year in Japan was Mar 98-Mar 99 with the GBC launch and strong Pokemon sales etc at 4.67m and I think that's probably the best 12 month period ever for a console in Japan, so that's what the DS has to beat this year.
Media Create puts it at 4,166,468 from March 28th 2005 to March 5th 2006 (49 weeks) so it's going to be close. The only thing stopping the DS is supply.

EDIT: The shipments for the first 9 months of the fiscal year in Japan were 3.58 million so that means Nintendo just had to ship 1.09 million in Jan-Mar and with the expected shipments of 650K (DSL) and 200K (DS) just in March it should happen.

Ryoni

Sonic Heroes PS2 Sega
japan0.06 us 0.70 europe 1.65

Sonic heroes did very well in Europe. Hehe must explain why it was in the top 20 uk charts for such a long time. Btw I think Sonic 2 Genesis sold more copies than Sonic1 Genesis.

ioi

Banned
Ryoni said:
Btw I think Sonic 2 Genesis sold more copies than Sonic1 Genesis.

Again, I don't have hard figures as yet but I believe it is often quoted that Sonic 1 is the best selling Sonic game ever. And the series has done about 20m (upto Dreamcast) and about another 15m since then which may be somewhat suprising to some people (GC/PS2/XB/GBA releases)...

cvxfreak

Heian-kyo said:

Shit is a joke.

crying_baby.jpg

jarrod

Banned
Panzer Dragoon was also a worldwide million seller iirc (thanks mainly to a whopping 800k in Japan) as was VF1 Saturn (900k in Japan plus it was a US/EU pack in for 1995). I bet SEGA has quite a few more "stealth" million sellers, it's too bad we never get past/cumulative figures from them.

ioi

Banned
jarrod said:
Panzer Dragoon was also a worldwide million seller iirc (thanks mainly to a whopping 800k in Japan) as was VF1 Saturn (900k in Japan plus it was a US/EU pack in for 1995). I bet SEGA has quite a few more "stealth" million sellers, it's too bad we never get past/cumulative figures from them.

Indeed. I'd say that Sega, considering they will have quite a large backlog of hit games, are about the least forthcoming when releasing sales figures. Don't suppose anybody has anything with historical sales, maybe even per series or anything like that?

cvxfreak

ioi said:

In case you are Broshnat, and that account is still active, you ought to report to the mods that you are the same person so you don't get banned outright. ;)

Monorojo

Banned
So thats ioi's site eh?

You have to fix your weekly Japanese sales brother, there are weeks (like i posted in your forum) that are completely missing some titles, i dont know what the deal is there. Did Famtisu just not post them? Cuz they appear in Media Create....

ioi

Banned
No, we just haven't had chance to add every game yet. It's still work in progress as it says on the site.

cvxfreak said:
In case you are Broshnat, and that account is still active, you ought to report to the mods that you are the same person so you don't get banned outright. ;)

He is brosh, but if that account was permabanned, I don't see how he could still use it. I think he's been forthright about it for awhile, but yeah, he should report it, jik

Wink

Great thread, A+

Heian-kyo said:
None of this would be a problem if most Nintendo fans weren't the most insecure gamers in the world, constantly trying to reassure to themselves their devotion and love to the company.

That's a pretty accurate description.

What's with all this talk about who's leading the business? They are all three pretty healthy and all three will continue to manufacture consoles and develop games, so great news for everyone playing games, not companies.

cvxfreak

sonycowboy said:
He is brosh, but if that account was permabanned, I don't see how he could still use it. I think he's been forthright about it for awhile, but yeah, he should report it, jik

I doubt it is, since it doesn't have the appropriate tag.

Heian-kyo said:
yet another damn sales numbers thread that's been posted for one reason, and one reason only: to give crazed Nintendo fans yet another opportunity to fap.

But it's a thread started with one chart: a top PS2 games chart. ?? Or did ioi edit out some others due to all the bitching?

Fuzzy

Leondexter said:
But it's a thread started with one chart: a top PS2 games chart. ?? Or did ioi edit out some others due to all the bitching?
It was a thread started with no charts at all and just a link to his site. Only a PS2 top 20 has been added here so far.

ziran

i appreciate the time ioi's spent collating this data, and afaik there isn't a resource like this anywhere, covering worldwide sales using as much data as possible directly from publisher reports.

personally, i've been impressed with ioi's predictions, especially during the 05 year end in japan, where he was amazingly accurate!

Zen

Banned
I can't wait to pull out those Final Fantasy numbers against JRPG hating Xbots on other forums who are all like "FINAL FANTASY HAS BEEN LESENING IN IMPORTANCE!!" and be like "OUTSELLS HALO BITCH!".

It will be fun. =(

ioi

Banned
Leondexter said:

No, it didnt start with any charts as somebody said as I didn't have time to make a long elaborate post when I originally started the thread. I'm gonna add some more lists throughout the day.

As far as the Broshnat account is concerned it hasn't been logged into for over a year so if people want to delete it or remove it or whatever needs doing then go for it, because it's basically inactive as far as I'm concerned.

ioi

Banned
ziran said:
i think you have to contact gaf admin via email, there's a thread about it:
http://www.ga-forum.com/announcement.php?f=2&announcementid=24

Cool. Done. Cheers.

Right, back to the numbers.

It seems from the 537 games listed, they cover around 1.6 billion sales, which isn't bad at all. Total Console / Portable software sales is around 4.5 billion so it covers around 1/3 of the market with a lot more to be added yet. Obviously we'lll never get to a point where all software is covered (as it's only focussing on million sellers) but again it should give a good picture of the overall situation.

ziran

ioi, when you get chance, do you have any 1st year data for software sales, on new consoles, for xbox, ps2 and gamecube?

i'm wondering what kind of game sales we can expect on 360, ps3 and revolution in their first 12 months.

Fuzzy

ioi said:
Cool. Done. Cheers.

Right, back to the numbers.

It seems from the 537 games listed, they cover around 1.6 billion sales, which isn't bad at all. Total Console / Portable software sales is around 4.5 billion so it covers around 1/3 of the market with a lot more to be added yet. Obviously we'lll never get to a point where all software is covered (as it's only focussing on million sellers) but again it should give a good picture of the overall situation.
Wouldn't that number be a lot higher? Just Sony + Nintendo platform software totals are at 4.15 billion. Just nit-picking again. :p

Also, GoldenEye 007 is the best selling console FPS! :)

Fuzzy

ziran said:
ioi, when you get chance, do you have any 1st year data for software sales, on new consoles, for xbox, ps2 and gamecube?

i'm wondering what kind of game sales we can expect on 360, ps3 and revolution in their first 12 months.
GCN launched September 14th 2001 in Japan so this is almost 13 months.
2002/09/30 - 34.58 million units (Japan: 6.08 million/ Outside Japan: 28.50 million)
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/021121e.pdf

EDIT: Made a mistake. Fixed.

I don't know the other two.

EDIT 2: Updated it through September 2002

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Wouldn't that number be a lot higher? Just Sony + Nintendo platform software totals are at 4.15 billion. Just nit-picking again. :p

Also, GoldenEye 007 is the best selling console FPS! :)

Well exactly. Xbox will be around 200million, Genesis around the same, maybe 250m and Dreamcast / Saturn about 100m each. So maybe closer to 5 billion I guess, but that's all off the top of my head.

And ziran, I'll see what I can do ;-)

You just want total software sales?

jarrod

Banned
ioi said:
Indeed. I'd say that Sega, considering they will have quite a large backlog of hit games, are about the least forthcoming when releasing sales figures. Don't suppose anybody has anything with historical sales, maybe even per series or anything like that?
Well, if I had to guess some likely canidates for past 1st party million sellers worldwide...

Genesis
-Altered Beast
-Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
-Ecco the Dolphin
-Sonic 3D Blast
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2
-Sonic the Hedgehog 3
-Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
-Spider-Man
-Strider
-ToeJam & Earl
-Vectorman
-VR Virtua Racing

Game Gear
-Columns
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sega CD
-Sonic CD

Saturn
-Daytona USA
-NiGHTS... into dreams
-Panzer Dragoon
-Sega Rally Championship
-Sonic Jam
-Virtua Cop
-Virtua Fighter
-Virtua Fighter Remix
-Virtua Fighter 2

Dreamcast
-Crazy Taxi
-Sega Sports NBA 2K
-Sega Sports NFL 2K
-Sega Sports NFL 2K1
-Shenmue
-Sonic Adventure
-Sonic Adventure 2

HAOHMARU

Where the hell is Sonic the Hedgehog 2? That sold an ass-ton on the Genny. (even if it got packed in with the system...isn't that how SMB/DH got so high?)

Resident Evil 4 GC Capcom Total: 1.23 million? WHAT THE FUCK! How is it doing on the PS2? This was probably the best game that came out last year!

Top Bottom