• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Software Sales

ioi

Banned
Amir0x said:
Really? Then what was that locked thread all about, or your ridiculous rants in said thread?

What??

I see you just sidestepped everything I said completely.

Most of my posts / threads are actually pretty neutral and I often just present factual numbers for people to read and draw their own conclusions from. If you read them and think "well isn't Nintendo doing well" then that's you, not me.

The thread about Sony shipped numbers is something different entirely. It didn't start as a rant and was a simple mathematical argument that set out to demonstrate how Sony's shipped numbers for consoles tend to be much larger than the amount they actually sold. This is a widely accepted thing as far as I'm concerned and I just wanted to put some reasoned backing to the idea.

The fact that people like yourself immediately jumped in and said "pathetic fanboy cries for attention", "it's a conspiracy", "quick Sony are wrong and ioi is right" is what annoyed me and always will. You totally missed the point and always will. It always has to come back to Nintendo vs Sony, Nintendo vs Microsoft for you and everything has to have an agenda. Well most other people don't work like that.

Well that thread didn't have an "agenda" (other than to try explain what it set out to explain) and this one certainly doesn't either so you're barking up the wrong tree again I'm afraid.

Amir0x said:
I didn't know Sony shipment numbers vs. sold were released by Nintendo

Again, either you have trouble understanding simple English or you're just trying to be an arse on purpose. It was obviously threads like "Nintendo Million Sellers in Japan" that I was referring to and why a lot of my numbers threads to be focussed on Nintendo.

Amir0x said:
I guess I'm just not GROWN-UP enough to understand the complex concepts of "neutral numbers" which had been railroaded before, or "neutral numbers" wherein the sole purpose is to try to expose some conspiracy of a single company.

It seems that way.

Amir0x said:
Gosh guys, did you know Sony uses SHIPPED numbers when discussing how well PSP is doing? Make another thread, ioi. Did you know Nintendo franchises own almost all the spots in the top ten? Make another three threads, ioi. Oh wait, you already did.

Yeah well avoid them as it's obvious that sales numbers don't interest you.

Amir0x

Banned
ioi said:
What??

I see you just sidestepped everything I said completely.

Most of my posts / threads are actually pretty neutral and I often just present factual numbers for people to read and draw their own conclusions from. If you read them and think "well isn't Nintendo doing well" then that's you, not me.

The thread about Sony shipped numbers is something different entirely. It didn't start as a rant and was a simple mathematical argument that set out to demonstrate how Sony's shipped numbers for consoles tend to be much larger than the amount they actually sold. This is a widely accepted thing as far as I'm concerned and I just wanted to put some reasoned backing to the idea.

The fact that people like yourself immediately jumped in and said "pathetic fanboy cries for attention" is what annoyed me and always will. It always has to come back to Nintendo vs Sony, Nintendo vs Microsoft and everything else and everything has to have an agenda.

Well that thread didn't have an "agenda" (other than to try explain what it set out to explain) and this one certainly doesn't either so you're barking up the wrong tree again I'm afraid.

ioi, you're just typing up long responses but it's basically just silly derailing now since you're going to continue playing "innocent." It's ok, I'll just wait til your next thread on how awesome DS is doing in relation to PSP to bring it up again.

Monorojo

Banned
PS2 outsold Gamecube +GBA combined man. More software has been sold on PS2 than Gamecube and GBA combined X2 atleast.

Since 1995, Sony has sold 200 million home consoles, since 1985, Nintendo has only sold around 155 million.

Since 1995 in total, GB+GBA+N64+Gamecube = 200 million. PS1+PS2+PSP = 210-215 million.

Its simply obvious who the leader of the market is currently, and its Sony. No arguing here.

You can bring up Nintendo software sales and thats all fine and dandy but even thats in decline. Pokemon sales are in decline, Mario, Zelda, everything from Nintendo. Nintendo clearly lost its name of "market leader" when they got their ass kicked by PS1. I have no idea why people are still arguing this.

And you saying Nintendo found the business... :lol :lol Come on man, that's just a joke.

ioi

Banned
Amir0x said:
ioi, you're just typing up long responses but it's basically just silly derailing now since you're going to continue playing "innocent." It's ok, I'll just wait til your next thread on how awesome DS is doing in relation to PSP to bring it up again.

You have serious issues Amir0x.

lancubap

Archie said:
monorojo and ioi this thread has it all

Monorojo hate Nintendo: all Nintendo's games, all Nintendo's systems...

Why ?

I don't hate Sony or Microsoft: they are good constructor and good developer. They have made some AAA games, the RPG on PS2 are just incredible, the OnLine Service on 360 is gorgeous.

But I prefer Nintendo: that's my choice.

And I try to be objective: Nintendo has sold 2.1 billions games and 360 millions systems, right ? Sales of GBA + Gamecube + Nintendo DS in the world are > of Xbox + 360 or PS2 + PSP ?

Then they are the leader. That's anything else to say. It is a fact.

ioi

Banned
Monorojo said:
PS2 outsold Gamecube +GBA combined man. More software has been sold on PS2 than Gamecube and GBA combined X2 atleast.

Since 1995, Sony has sold 200 million home consoles, since 1985, Nintendo has only sold around 155 million.

Since 1995 in total, GB+GBA+N64+Gamecube = 200 million. PS1+PS2+PSP = 210-215 million.

Its simply obvious who the leader of the market is currently, and its Sony. No arguing here.

Agreed. Again more facts, but those were surely presented in far more of a "fanboy" and "biased" way than anything I have said?

And the fact that all of that data is also on Everything and Nothing and a lot of it has been shown in a number of the threads I've posted is obviously irrelevant as Amir0x believes that I have an agenda.

lancubap said:
And I try to be objective: Nintendo has sold 2.1 billions games and 360 millions systems, right ? Sales of GBA + Gamecube + Nintendo DS in the world are > of Xbox + 360 or PS2 + PSP ?

One of the most bizarre comparisons i've seen.

lancubap

ToxicAdam said:

Well, I mean after the crash of Atari: Nintendo has reinvented the videogame industry, with the D-Pad and all things you know sure very well.

EDIT: a last things:

I see that you don't understand the reality. Well, that's YOUR problem. Think what you wanna think, but I wanna not be banned. So I STOP HERE.

You say that Sony is the leader in cumulative sales of all time: that a joke for me, but if for you is true....bah, think what you want.

Numbers are clear, and if you wanna say only lies, please, bitte.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
My complaint is that the list should have some sources cited. Since it doesn't have any, its just as reliable is MagicBox numbers. Probably even less so since its from essentially some random guy on the internet

Meier

Mrbob said:
If those number are valid, it is interesting to see the huge dropoff in NA from Gran Turismo 3 to Gran Turismo 4. Yeah GT4 hasn't been out as long but it seems like the game is tracking way behind GT3 in terms of sales. Especially when you compare them to the European sales which are over a million ahead at the moment. With GT3 European numbers were nearly 2 million behind NA numbers.

This is in large part due to the GH line. GT3's sales in America must be near 60% or higher done at the GH price point. That's the primary reason Ace Combat 4's are so much higher than 5's as well.

Amir0x

Banned
ioi said:
Agreed. Again more facts, but those were surely presented in far more of a "fanboy" and "biased" way than anything I have said?

And the fact that all of that data is also on Everything and Nothing and a lot of it has been shown in a number of the threads I've posted is obviously irrelevant as Amir0x believes that I have an agenda.

Lol, what you fail to mention is that in Japan Nintendo have sold more games on DS+PSP than everything else combined, that's what matters.

Saying "well if you take this away and then don't include that then you have this" is just silly.

ioi

Banned
Amir0x said:
Make a thread about it. Include how many Nintendo DS sold in Japan compared to how many Amir0x units sold in Japan.

But this is it. So if I make a topic at some point to show the latest up to date DS sales in Japan or something like that then it automatically has an agenda? Can I not just post the topic for the interest of the numbers so that people can make comparisons and so forth?

Can you not understand why some people may just want to look at sales figures for the interest of looking at the numbers and not purely to glimpse over them and say "Sony wins" or "Nintendo wins" like you obviously have to?

Amir0x

Banned
ioi said:
But this is it. So if I make a topic at some point to show the latest up to date DS sales in Japan or something like that then it automatically has an agenda? Can I not just post the topic for the interest of the numbers so that people can make comparisons and so forth?

Can you not understand why some people may just want to look at sales figures for the interest of looking at the numbers and not purely to glimpse over them and say "Sony wins" or "Nintendo wins" like you obviously have to?

SEGA wins.

ioi

Banned
Amir0x said:
Lol, what you fail to mention is that in Japan Nintendo have sold more games on DS+PSP than everything else combined, that's what matters.

Saying "well if you take this away and then don't include that then you have this" is just silly.

Again you just make yourself look stupid by quoting something without actually explaining the context- the conversation was about third party sales on DS being poor and whether this is a problem and that was my reply- that the first party sales are so strong that it almost doesn't need any third parties right now. Again a factual comment that was made to address the point.

Have you got nothing better to do than go through all my old posts and try to find quotes to supposedly support your offensive claim that everything I post has an "agenda"?

ioi

Banned
Archie said:
Amir0x, you have the power. Lock this abortion of a thread. Think of the children. :(

gskarumahit1dw5yr.gif

gskarumahit1dw5yr.gif

gskarumahit1dw5yr.gif

gskarumahit1dw5yr.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Archie said:
Amir0x, you have the power. Lock this abortion of a thread. Think of the children. :(

I can't. Since I participated in this discussion, and helped fuel the abortion in a way... if I locked it, it could be considered mod abuse. An objective third party must lock this thread!

ioi

Banned
Well anyway back on topic:

Top 20 PS2 games worldwide:

Code:
Game				Pub	Japan	America	Others	Total
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec		Sony	1.89	6.88	5.59	14.36
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City		Take 2	0.39	7.76	5.55	13.70
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas	Take 2	0.00	7.03	6.27	13.30
Grand Theft Auto 3			Take 2	0.29	6.45	4.71	11.45
Final Fantasy X			Square	2.96	2.68	2.11	7.75
Need for Speed: Underground		EA	0.08	2.97	3.61	6.66
Gran Turismo 4			Sony	1.09	1.94	3.22	6.25
Metal Gear Solid 2			Konami	0.85	2.32	2.42	5.59
Need for Speed: Underground 2	EA	0.08	2.20	3.22	5.50
Medal Of Honour Frontline		EA	0.17	2.73	2.42	5.32
Final Fantasy X-2			Square	2.37	1.71	0.96	5.04
Kingdom Hearts			Square	1.24	2.91	0.78	4.93
Spiderman: The Movie		Activision	0.03	2.46	1.85	4.34
SOCOM				Sony	0.06	2.65	1.59	4.30
Madden NFL 2004			EA	0.00	3.97	0.11	4.08
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3		Activision	0.01	2.43	1.48	3.92
Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (WE9)		Konami	0.92	0.12	2.88	3.92
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex	Vivendi	0.24	1.91	1.73	3.88
Madden NFL 2005			EA	0.00	3.74	0.10	3.84
Lord of the Rings: Two Towers		EA	0.08	1.80	1.89	3.77

Amir0x

Banned
you should add the top 20 for every platform in your original post so that it doesn't seem like you're just pimping your website

Monorojo

Banned
You dont have to hate nintendo to speak the truth, i must hate nintendo cuz i only own a DS and not a PSP right? i own a Gamecube, had a N64, SNES, still have the original GB. I like nintendo tbqh

Its just quite obvious to see Sony is the market leader right now.

ioi

Banned
Amir0x said:
you should add the top 20 for every platform in your original post so that it doesn't seem like you're just pimping your website

I might just do that, and probably would have if I'd have had time to originally and not spent the last hour arguing with you over nothing.

Thanks for the first sensible post you've made of the thread.

Amir0x

Banned
ioi said:
I might just do that, and probably would have if I'd have had time to originally and not spent the last hour arguing with you over nothing.

Thanks for the first sensible post you've made of the thread.

uh huh.

lancubap

Monorojo said:
You dont have to hate nintendo to speak the truth, i must hate nintendo cuz i only own a DS and not a PSP right? i own a Gamecube, had a N64, SNES, still have the original GB. I like nintendo tbqh

Its just quite obvious to see Sony is the market leader right now.

It will be interesting speak head to head.....

Perhaps you don't have understood: when I mean leader, I mean GB + GBC + GBA + NES + SNES + N64 + NGC + DS + DSL = 360 millions.

Ok here ?

So, Sony has made: 100 millions PS + 100 millions PS2 + 9.5 millions PSP = 209.5 millions.

Ok here, right ?

So Total Nintendo > Total Sony. that's what I mean !

If you say that Nintendo Home systems sold < Sony Home Systems sold: OK, you're right !!!

But this is NOT what I wanna say, OK ?

And in Software, same thing: Nintendo has sold 2.06 billions = 2.06 * 10^9.
OK here ?

Sony...I dont know, but is SURE <<<<<<<< 2.06*10^9.

Ok, if thats all clear, it would be intelligent to STOP here this war, OK ?

ioi

Banned
It's posts like this which reflect badly back on me.

Can't we just look at the numbers and not argue?!

NWO

Games listed by system:

Dreamcast: 6
Gamecube: 36
N64: 50
Xbox: 20
SNES: 37
Saturn: 1
Genesis: 2 (I don't buy this one)

The others are just too long or new systems.

ioi

Banned
NWO said:
Games listed by system:

Dreamcast: 6
Gamecube: 36
N64: 50
Xbox: 20
SNES: 37
Saturn: 1
Genesis: 2 (I don't buy this one)

The others are just too long or new systems.

Well again, the data is incomplete at the moment.

N64 is bang on, GC is pretty much bang on, there are likely to be a few more XB / DC games, loads more Genesis games (virtually impossible to get any hard figures on) and a load more SNES (3rd party US mainly) to go yet.

So yes, still a lot more to do.

And no comments on the actual numbers? Nearly 80 posts and the only decent comment so far has been about GT4 having much lower sales than GT3.

How about the immense success of Need for Speed, Madden and FIFA for EA? The fact that San Andreas still hasn't caught up with Vice City? The fact that Double Dash has sold as much outside of Japan as the original SMK on the SNES? The massive success of the Crash Bandicoot series in every region? Tekken 3 outselling Street Fighter 2 on SNES and being the best selling fighter ever (unless SSBM catches up)? Massive numbers for Driver, especially in Europe?

ioi

Banned
MbGCaM said:
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec Sony 6.88 in America? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Code:
Format    Title                              Publisher                Rel Date      LTD Sales     
PS2       GRAN TURISMO 3:A-SPEC              SONY COMPUTER ENT. (SONY)Jul-01         3,758,415

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=67375

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/050427e.pdf

Cumulative Worldwide Shipments of Gran Turismo Series (million units)
Title Japan North America Europe Asia Korea WW
Gran Turismo 2.55 3.99 4.29 0.01 --- 10.84
Gran Turismo 2 1.71 3.96 3.65 0.02 --- 9.34
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 1.89 6.88 5.58 0.01 --- 14.36
Gran Turismo Concept series 0.43 --- 0.98 0.04 0.09 1.54
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue 0.78 --- 0.41 0.11 0.04 1.34
Gran Turismo 4 1.09 1.94 3.12 0.06 0.04 6.25
Total 43.67

Some explanations:
1) NPD is not 100% accurate
2) GT3 Bundle sold over 2m
3) N.America includes Canada

cvxfreak

I feel bad for ioi. If I posted this thread nothing would have been argued, except for Monorojo and probably Heian-kyo.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cvxfreak said:
I feel bad for ioi. If I posted this thread nothing would have been argued, except for Monorojo and probably Heian-kyo.
It's his own fault for his gueses so now people think all his numbers are gueses instead of being shipment numbers from publishers.

Monorojo

Banned
I still have no idea how you can say current leader and then use a system that launched back in 1985 as part of your argument.

And then claim Nintendo created the business....

cvxfreak

Fuzzy said:
It's his own fault for his gueses so now people think all his numbers are gueses instead of being shipment numbers from publishers.

Well, it's not that but how he's being accused of being a Nintendo fanboy. He might prefer Nintendo and like posting their numbers for certain reasons, but he's always been factual and I've never seen him derail the PSP and say anything outright negative about anything not subjective in relation to these threads. I have my own reservations about EON, but the truly annoying idiots are out there and it's not ioi.

Fuzzy

cvxfreak said:
Well, it's not that but how he's being accused of being a Nintendo fanboy. He might prefer Nintendo and like posting their numbers for certain reasons, but he's always been factual and I've never seen him derail the PSP and say anything outright negative about anything not subjective in relation to these threads. I have my own reservations about EON, but the truly annoying idiots are out there and it's not ioi.
Maybe he should just change his name back so people take him more seriously. :p

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:

I still don't like this use of the word "guesses" guys....

Guessing implies that you just sit there and think "Right, I reckon Monster Hunter sold 23,234 copies this week" and that's certainly not what happens for any of the numbers on the site.

NWO

Monorojo said:
I still have no idea how you can say current leader and then use a system that launched back in 1985 as part of your argument.

Sony isn't the current leader either....

DS is ahead of PSP and the 360 is ahead of the PS3. :p

ioi

Banned
1) The shipment data from publishers obviously isn't guesses.

2) The data used on the Japanese breakdown section of the site (Japanses weekly charts) is fitted data, I wouldn't even call it estimating.

If famitsu say that 4000 copies of a game were sold in Feb then it's reasonable to say that in a 4 week month that's about 1000 copies per week, likely with a decrease from week to week (and looking at Jan and March's numbers can help show this fall-off trend). If it's a period like golden week when software tends to get a boost then it may be a bit more that week, a bit less others. The fact that in Japan about 90% of sales for most games are in the first few weeks means that this idea of a simple drop-off for most games is pretty accurate, it's not like the US (apart from stuff like Brain Training) where games fluctuate up and down week on week, once a game leaves the top 50 it's usually gone.

This "fitting" is only really done when a game drops out of the top 50 or whatever anyway, up until then the media create and famitsu data we get is sufficient to get pretty close to the numbers. And anyway, when a game that is on 650k is sellin 1000 copies a week then the accuracy of those sales ceases to be of as much importance, it's the first few weeks that really matter and there are lots of sources for this data.

So I think the idea that numbers are guessed isn't fair, 95% of the useful data is readily available and the rest can be fitted using the more detailed MC charts I get, CVX's Famitsu monthy charts, yearly charts and so on.

3) The only "dubious" thing that is done is to scale data up for games to match the numbers that publishers give. So say game a sells 190k according to famitsu, 210k according to media create (so 200k average) and 230k according to the publisher then it's sales are scaled up by 15% to match up.

I don't think any of this should invalidate any of the numbers. What I am in fact doing is taking Media Create and Famitsu publically available numbers (i.e free) adding sales for weeks when they drop off the chart (which are so small to as not make much difference anyway) average the two sources because this historically gives numbers that are very close and then scale up or down to match numbers released by publishers to take into account any errors in the media create / famitsu tracking. All of which I think is perfectly sensible and valid.

And the fact that all this is offered for free for anyone to view as opposed to paying huge subscriptions to tracking services to get numbers which seem more accurate because they are non-rounded but in fact have been shown in the past to be only about 90% accurate I'd have thought is a good thing. And the fact that I like to promote the site so that people can use the data and use it as a good resource is perfectly understandable, no?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ioi said:

2) The data used on the Japanese breakdown section of the site (Japanses weekly charts) is fitted data, I wouldn't even call it estimating.

If famitsu say that 4000 copies of a game were sold in Feb then it's reasonable to say that in a 4 week month that's about 1000 copies per week. If it's a period like golden week when software tends to get a boost then it may be a bit more that week, a bit less others.

This "fitting" is only really done when a game drops out of the top 50 or whatever anyway, up until then the media create and famitsu data we get is sufficiently to get pretty close to the numbers. And anyway, when a game that is on 650k is sellin 1000 copies a week then the accuracy of those sales ceases to be of as much importance, it's the first few weeks that really matter and there are lots of sources for this data.

So I think the idea that numbers are guessed isn't fair, 95% of the useful data is readily available and the rest can be fitted using the more detailed MC charts I gues, CVX's Famitsu monthy charts, yearly charts and so on.

3) The only "dubious" thing that is done is to scale data up for games to match the numbers that publishers give. So say game a sells 190k according to famitsu, 210k according to media create (so 200k average) and 230k according to the publisher then it's sales are scaled up by 15% to match up.

I don't think any of this should invalidate any of the numbers. What I am in fact doing is taking Media Create and Famitsu publically available numbers (i.e free) adding sales for weeks when they drop off the chart (which are so small to as not make much difference anyway) average the two sources because this historically gives numbers that are very close and then scale up or down to match numbers released by publishers to take into account any errors in the media create / famitsu tracking. All of which I think is perfectly sensible and valid.

And the fact that all this is offered for free for anyone to view as opposed to paying huge subscriptions to tracking services to get numbers which seem more accurate because they are non-rounded but in fact have been shown in the past to be only about 90% accurate I'd have thought is a good thing. And the fact that I like to promote the site so that people can use the data and use it as a good resource is perfectly understandable, no?

That sounds reasonable enough. I agree with CVX. You guys are giving ioi too much of a hard time.

Of course, I could understand if some Sony fanboys seem to get annoyed or whatever. Not that I'm saying ioi is doing this to tout anything, but just that I could see where they're coming from.

Fuzzy

ioi said:

If famitsu say that 4000 copies of a game were sold in Feb then it's reasonable to say that in a 4 week month that's about 1000 copies per week. If it's a period like golden week when software tends to get a boost then it may be a bit more that week, a bit less others.

This "fitting" is only really done when a game drops out of the top 50 or whatever anyway, up until then the media create and famitsu data we get is sufficiently to get pretty close to the numbers. And anyway, when a game that is on 650k is sellin 1000 copies a week then the accuracy of those sales ceases to be of as much importance, it's the first few weeks that really matter and there are lots of sources for this data.

So I think the idea that numbers are guessed isn't fair, 95% of the useful data is readily available and the rest can be fitted using the more detailed MC charts I gues, CVX's Famitsu monthy charts, yearly charts and so on.

And there's nothing wrong with that which is why a few of us have mentioned numerous times that you should post that explanation on your site. I also think you should post the software shipment numbers as they appear in the financial reports instead of rounding them to one decimal place. :)

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
And there's nothing wrong with that which is why a few of us have mentioned numerous times that you should post that explanation on your site.

Well I will when I get round to it if you want. But the fact I've posted it here before a number of times and everyone just keeps saying "ioi is guessing numbers again" kind of suggests that it won't make any difference.

Some people obviously have a problem with it which is their right I guess.

Fuzzy said:
I also think you should post the software shipment numbers as they appear in the financial reports instead of rounding them to one decimal place. :)

Where are they rounded to 1 dp?

Top Bottom