• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst controller thread

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
LIST REASONS WHY, NO PICS WITHOUT LABELS, NO ONE WORD ANSWERS, I WISH I COULD BAN THOSE WHO DON'T DO THIS BUT I DON'T HAVE THAT POWER SO <--------- FOLLOW THESE RULES PLEASE

N64, hands down.

controller_n64_diagram.jpg

What were they even thinking with this abomination.

A) It's ugly as fuck

B) It's awkward to hold

C) TERRIBLE, boring default colors

D) Analog stick wears down way too fast

E) C-buttons were actually a nice idea, but the Gamecube's C-stick was 100x better and an improvement in every way

F) The SNES controller was such perfection that nearly every system uses it as its base even to this day, and THIS was its successor

G) It actually has LESS face buttons than its predecessor, getting rid of X and Y for the C-buttons, which are nowhere near as intuitively placed

H) Mario Party minigames

What do you think was the worst controller? Why?

Note to OP: You likely should include a clause limiting it to official controllers for consoles, not cheap third-party controllers or esoteric single-use controllers.
Good point. If you want to list a third party controller, go ahead, but also list your least favorite official controller.

JeffGrubb

The original Xbox One and the original DualShock 4. Xbox One sticks felt wobbly after a while. DualShock 4's grips have left this earthy realm.

(Both revisions are awesome though)

LIST REASONS WHY, NO PICS WITHOUT LABELS, NO ONE WORD ANSWERS, I WISH I COULD BAN THOSE WHO DON'T DO THIS BUT I DON'T HAVE THAT POWER SO <--------- FOLLOW THESE RULES PLEASE

N64, hands down.

controller_n64_diagram.jpg

A) It's ugly as fuck

B) It's awkward to hold

E) C-buttons were actually a nice idea, but the Gamecube's C-stick was 100x better and an improvement in every way

F) The SNES controller was such perfection that nearly every system uses it as its base even to this day, and THIS was its successor

G) It actually has LESS face buttons than its predecessor, getting rid of X and Y for the C-buttons, which are nowhere near as intuitively placed

H) Mario Party minigames

This is my choice as well. One of the most awkward, uncomfortable, and perplexing controllers released for a mainstream console. And the shoulder buttons broke easily.

EDIT: It deserves some special merit for it's forward-thinking inclusion of an analog stick, but the overall design is still a net negative.

TI82

Banned
Not the worst but definitely up there. Awful battery life, horribly uncomfortable, and stupidly expensive? Yep, the Wii U gamepad.

images

diffusionx

Gold Member
Duke was the best controller, guys.

The Sixaxis controller is up there. The design has lots of issues (like the r2/l2) but it also didn't rumble. In its defense, if you threw it against a wall, it was so flimsy and light it would probably just break apart without causing damage.

Cess007

The Dreamcast controller was sort of a turd as well.

This.

I got a Dreamcast not long ago, and tried to play Shenmue and other games. What an horrible layout and design.

Edit. the N64 controller is awesome, i really got no idea why people hate it so much.

Ekai

N64 controller is one of my favorites actually. It controls very easily, has an awesome see-through red color, layout makes sense,was incredibly sturdy, etc. Mine from 1998 still works to this day. That also said, Gamecube was one of my least favorite controllers. and the Xbox ones are alright. I use a 360 controller for pc gaming anyway and I'm happy with most Ninty controller layouts.

In comparison I've never really liked the layout of any Sony controller. They all feel awkward and hard to handle. They also feel like they're made of flimsy material and have an excess of buttons that aren't necessary at all. Games just feel difficult to control on them.

BiggNife

I mean, the N64 is definitely Not Very Good, but worst seems a little hyperbolic

Like, when I think of the worst controllers, I think of stuff like the Nuby RE4 chainsaw controllers

Like, how do you even hold one of these things? It looks like a nightmare. I don't know how this got past the prototype phase.

e: I also think saying the Wii U gamepad is the worst is kinda silly too. I think it's totally fine, albeit maybe a little heavy.

The Dreamcast controller was sort of a turd as well.

I've never been able to hold one comfortably. Playing a game for any decent length of time hurts my hands. I'd rather use the Atari 5200 controller than the Dreamcast controller. It's crap, but at least it doesn't hurt to use.

Warxard

Banned
DualShock 4 is pretty awful. Stick quality is basically nonexistent, poor triggers for shooters, the existence of a touchpad makes little sense for the majority of games that use the touchpad and the huge, glowing light makes it really really gaudy.

It's a step down from previous DualShocks. Really hope they do a 'pro' controller.

If it counts, the design of the OG 3DS.

SO. FUCKING. BAD. Narrow L/R buttons, shiny all over, horridly placed tiny d-pad (which wasn't even all that good), shitty touch screen. Stylus keeps falling out.

And it even hurts your hand!

daveo42

Banned
The Ouya controller.
81CuoMmBtiL._SX425_.jpg

Way too light, felt super cheap and felt terrible to hold for any period of time, even though it completely apes modern controller design. The Ouya wasn't that great of a console, but the controller they packed in was absolute shit.

iMax

sony-dualshock-3-wireless-controller.jpg

Quite possibly the most uncomfortable controller in the modern era. Far too small and input is nowhere near precise enough as it should be.

Bonus points go to this:

8940-344-140412-Controller-1-l.png

The ergonomics really aren't great here.

Sheroking

My only real problem with the N64 controller was it's analog stick wearing down and hurting your thumb after too much play.

The Duke is actually unpleasant to hold in a way no other controller was. Amazing that they went from that to the amazing 360 controller in only two revisions.

Herne

N64, hands down.

A) It's ugly as fuck

B) It's awkward to hold

H) Mario Party minigames

You must have very little experience with controllers to confidently state that the N64's is the worst of them all.

imBask

Banned
Wiimote
Wii U Gamepad

Honorable mention : the Steam Controller in the uselessness department. As a mouse it's subpar, and as a regular controller (using the thumbstick and buttons) it's horrible

CorySchmitz

The OUYA controller followed closely by the Steam controller imo.

Both very uncomfortable, bad button placement, weird button feel, cheap feel, annoying battery placement, I could go on & on. Also, the Steam Controller only works properly like 10% of the time for me.

Note to OP: You likely should include a clause limiting it to official controllers for consoles, not cheap third-party controllers or esoteric single-use controllers.

I've had only limited use with it, but the Atari Jaguar's pad is a special kind of horrible. Very awkward to hold.

I don't know brehs, the N64 controller was pretty comfortable to hold. Does the 3DS XL count? Probably the most uncomfortable gaming "controller" I've ever touched.

Mihos

Gold Member
controller.jpg

Besides the side buttons not working, to the springy cord pulling your console off the table and have the console dangle in between player 1 and player 2 in the air like a happy 3 year old being swung by their parents... every move left, right, or forward seemed to trigger a random number generator that would decide which way you would actually move... to the number pad 'overlays' that would end up in the couch you got rid of last year... Everything about this is just wrong. They couldn't even bother with a back side on the controller it is fricken hollow ... The console has a place that looks like you should be able to slide them into for storage, but it is really there just to mess with your mind... the controls pop out of it because of the industrial strength spring loaded cord that would break your lawnmower blade if you ran over it.

I have every system hooked up currently, and nothing incites the rage from within more than an intellivision controller.... at least on the 7800/2600 I could plug in a Sega Genesis game pad..... this is unredeemable on every level.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wow. People here have literally only played the big consoles? The Amiga CD32 controller was an abomination, and the Atari Jaguar? Oh god. The N64 pad was amazing in comparison.

Edit: Someone saying the Wii Remote? Fuck off.

imBask

Banned
controller.jpg

Besides the side buttons not working, to the springy cord pulling your console off the table and have the console dangle in between player 1 and player 2 in the air like a happy 3 year old being swung by their parents... every move left, right, or forward seemed to trigger a random number generator that would decide which way you would actually move.

I have every system hooked up currently, and nothing incites the rage from within than an intellivision controller.... at least on the 7800/2600 I could plug in a Sega Genesis game pad..... this is unredeemable on every level.

it's like a Zune, but not good

41CPGXoKbgL._SY300_.jpg

mcz117chief

Original Odyssey controller
MagnavoxOdysseyController1.jpg

Tube for a cable and a huge rectangular box with stuff, it has its appeal but it must have been awful to play.

bathsalts

ds 3

-Its flimsy
-Its for fucking ants
-The sticks are horrible garbage despite being convex
-The triggers are somehow convex, amateur shit
-The Dpad is middling at best and becomes fucking terrible when introduced to the slightest amount of grease or sweat
-The cord its packed with is like a foot long.
-Its symmetrical, this is subjective I suppose but you're malformed mutant if you dont prefer asymmetrical designs.

I guess it'd be the N64 one. I was one of the weird people who held it on the edges, as opposed to in the centre. I could never get that to feel natural.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
since the n64 controller was already posted

As of lately, I would say the ps4 controller is my least favored controller. Terrible battery life, useless touchpad often used as a replacement button, two controllers with the left analog stick mutilating itself, dpad is worse than predecessors.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the worst of all time, but within the current generation (and maybe even last), it's absolutely the worst of the 3, no doubt about it.

RowdyReverb

I love the Dreamcast. I hate the Dreamcast controller. I love the Dreamcast so much that I'll overlook the controller.

But fuck that controller.
This perfectly encapsulates how I feel. It was so cool with the VMU screen, but who's idea was it to make the grips so shallow? And only 1 analog stick?

Shirow

Banned
Atari controller. 2600 console was it? The one with just one joystick and one button omg. Was my first console and holy crap playing with that thing takes some man strength.

higemaru

Wii U Gamepad is trash if you're looking at it like a controller. It works decently for Off-TV Play but aside from that, it's trash. Also, why the hell does Netflix display movies on both the TV screen and the Gamepad screen. And why can my controller advertise things to me? I'd forgive the decent battery life if it were at all comfortable but I've never felt more discomfort playing a game. I felt like I was at a control panel while playing Tropical Freeze. The Wii U Gamepad has never once felt like a natural extension of my hands which is not something I can say about any other controller.

majik13

N64 controller was great for its time... there I said. And probably the best at the time for innovation.

Except for the 3 prong approach. That was embarrassing

My pick goes to Jaguar, or maybe even Virtual Boy.(though I didnt play much of that one.

Ekai

Wow. People here have literally only played the big consoles? The Amiga CD32 controller was an abomination, and the Atari Jaguar? Oh god. The N64 pad was amazing in comparison.

Edit: Someone saying the Wii Remote? Fuck off.

Never played them but I have seen them. They do look awful.

I disagree on Wiimote as well. Wouldn't use that language however.

Top Bottom