• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Trends To Ever Catch On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

Skinny Jeans on males
Sagging
Famiy Guy and it's clones
South Park
Hipsters
Apple products
Glee
All this shitty vampire stuff
Crocs shoes
Dudebro games

Leunam said:
You ever seen kids in school being made fun of by others for being too smart or knowing the answers to the teachers questions? Imagine that but on a much larger scale in an arguably much more important environment where you need intelligent people.
This is one of the worst things that could've happened to schools. So much potential has probably been stifled through the years. That and band nerds. How can you discriminate against someone that plays an instrument? It helps mentally and you develop a skill for music; it's one of the best things you can do.

TommyT

Dave Inc. said:
Fuck you if you say I can't pronounce CIA as a word.

The CIA is now pronounced See-ah. There. It's an acronym now.

Do we really need two subsets of abbreviations based on how tricky it is to pronounce it?
:lol well what we need and what we got are often different!

Tenks

Dave Inc. said:
What a weird thing to hate. That's a pretty classic shoe style that's been around forever, not exactly a trend.

Also, I don't think people understand the difference between silly "super-skinny" jeans and regular old skinny or slim-fit jeans.

This is a skinny jean, it looks very good:
RPKVP.jpg

Those look like they either don't break or taper only very slightly from the knee. It appears to be more of a straight than a skinny. Generally when people refer to skinny they mean the opening is far smaller than that. Those are either straights or tapers.

Buttchin

shintoki said:
Fedoras can look fantastic on guys... but there are two problems.
1. You really need the suit to make it work. Otherwise it will look lame.
2. Most likely it will look lame regardless, only few men can actually pull it off.

neal_caffrey_style.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
ctrayne said:
But...but...it's such a classic look!

http://criterion-production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/1025/306_box_348x490.jpg[IMG]

That look will never be dated. Of course, you should probably be wearing a suit if you're going to wear a fedora.[/QUOTE]

Except all the people I see wearing it are just trying to look 'alternative' or different or whatever the fuck they're gunning at. None of them will ever be as fucking awesome as Jef Costello.

Buttchin

Nard Bagman said:
This is one of the worst things that could've happened to schools. So much potential has probably been stifled through the years. That and band nerds. How can you discriminate against someone that plays an instrument? It helps mentally and you develop a skill for music; it's one of the best things you can do.

Bandies at my school were entitled assholes that treated everyone who wasn't in their club terribly.... They brought on the hate with their attitude and arrogance... Granted i came from a school where the marching band hadn't lost a tournament in like 25 years and the rest of the schools sports except for lacrosse was terrible...

*** ended up dating two bandies.... what they were hot...

3N16MA

Banned
People wearing this as a fashion accessory:

GP5Bt.jpg

Even worse when the new era sticker is still on it. I swear 95% of the people I see wearing a Yankees cap is not a fan.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Dave Inc. said:
Fuck you if you say I can't pronounce CIA as a word.

The CIA is now pronounced See-ah. There. It's an acronym now.

Do we really need two subsets of abbreviations based on how tricky it is to pronounce it?
No one says CIA. You're the only person in the Oosa who does that.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
- Shaved bald head with tattoos. Yeah, it looks fine with Vin Diesel, but it's becoming a ridiculously 'popular' and so many bald guys seem like a-holes. I'm sure Vin and most bald folks are good people, but eh, I've just had some bad experiences.

- Liberals and Conservatives - fuck you both!

jgminto said:
Another one
Vampires/Werewolves
I'll up you on that... Zombies.

What's up with that recent trend? Dare I say, zombies are... boring! Almost every zombie movie, it's the same 'shambling mindless drones to kill you/eat your brains' with many of them having seemingly no explanation as to why the zombie-ism occurs. Zombie movies, games, etc. are almost as mindless as the zombies themselves. There are exceptions I have to this rule, i.e. I loved Planet Terror.

The_Technomancer said:
tripp_green_tube_chain_pants.jpg

tripppants.jpg

Knew a fair number of these in high-school.

YOU ARE NOT FROM KINGDOM HEARTS!
Heh, my ex girlfriend wore those (especially the second one there). I don't have a problem with them, but then again it's bias as mentioned.

def sim

Alucrid said:
I guess I'll do this again

What you think
skinny-jeans.jpg

What I wear
6fs5kl.jpg

I think cuffs can look good too
RHMp4l.jpg

What you are
ngbbs4defdb6a7c930.jpg

This pretty much. I feel a lot of GAF hates pants that fit because they have child bearing hips.

-Those jeans with all the belts, zippers, chains, etc on them. I thought I'd seen the last of them until I went to the arcade on Monday. The guy working there had them on. I also heard some girl talking about epidurals and how much pubic hair she had. That's unrelated, but I thought I'd share my misfortune.

-People pretending that there wasn't awful music in the 80s and 90s and that their isn't good music today.

-This extends to other trends of nostalgia. It's especially bad when it's someone who is 14 trying to gain cool points with the big kids. Cartoons sucked back when I was a kid, too. I just didn't know because I was a stupid little kid.

-Flash animation for cartoons. Ok, so that seems a little hypocritical considering what I just said, but I don't like the look of these a lot of times. They seem very bland color and art wise. Maybe it's just Bad Art.

-Conservative Hivemind

-Liberal Hivemind

-Slacktivism. The belief that reposting this status update on facebook will somehow stop child abuse. Holy crap people. How are you helping anyone but your own self-image with this?

-That weird crappy genre of music where it's like, white kids rapping ironically, with a techno beat, and then someone screaming over it. What even is that? They do covers of things like Lollipop or other rap or pop songs. I don't think it's that popular anymore.

-Apple

-Angry Birds

-Linux

-Pro Tools (Screw you. I'm not going to use it.)

def sim

Souldriver said:
Calling everything hipster can get on my nerves. We get it: everyone but you is a hipster.

This, ironically enough, makes them a hipster. Most people who aren't from a city don't know what a hipster really is and just throw the word around.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Darkmakaimura said:
I'll up you on that... Zombies.

What's up with that recent trend? Dare I say, zombies are... boring! Almost every zombie movie, it's the same 'shambling mindless drones to kill you/eat your brains' with many of them having seemingly no explanation as to why the zombie-ism occurs. Zombie movies, games, etc. are almost as mindless as the zombies themselves. There are exceptions I have to this rule, i.e. I loved Planet Terror.

Heh, my ex girlfriend wore those (especially the second one there). I don't have a problem with them, but then again it's bias as mentioned.
The sudden mainstream "Zombies are awesome because they are!!1" is completely baffling to me.

The_Technomancer said:
The sudden mainstream "Zombies are awesome because they are!!1" is completely baffling to me.
I thought this was a mid-2000's thing that would just blow over, but it shocks me that it's still going on.

Yeah, I don't get the zombies thing either. It seems like they just get mindlessly tacked on to things to bring the laffs. Pirates/zombies/robots/vampires/etc. Enough is enough.

And STOP TRYING TO BRING BACK THE 80s!

Darkmakaimura

The_Technomancer said:
Same here. I can't tell you how many people told me Zombieland was such an awesome movie only to have suffered that dreck for 90 minutes. Worst movie I've seen in a long time. But it had 'OMG!!! Zombies and Woody and Murray, oh my! So awesome!". Boring, unfunny garbage.

The Technomancer

Darkmakaimura said:
Same here. I can't tell you how many people told me Zombieland was such an awesome movie only to have suffered that dreck for 90 minutes. Worst movie I've seen in a long time. But it had 'OMG!!! Zombies and Woody and Murray, oh my! So awesome!". Boring, unfunny garbage.
Seeing people dressed up in zombie makeup just wandering around still weirds me out. What do they do at the get-togethers I've seen advertised?

Raistlin

For everyone whining about Crocs ... just remember they have more than one style.

PAAAIAKMHDAOBEFEt.jpg

Those are my outdoor crocks. All the comfort of the original, and basically look like your typical Jesus sandals.

Regular Crocs though - yeah, they're pretty hideous.

Darkmakaimura

The_Technomancer said:
Seeing people dressed up in zombie makeup just wandering around still weirds me out. What do they do at the get-togethers I've seen advertised?
You're probably referring to things like Zombie Squad. I think they actually donate to good causes once in awhile. Probably one of the only good things about this 'trend'.

The Technomancer

Darkmakaimura said:
You're probably referring to things like Zombie Squad. I think they actually donate to good causes once in awhile. Probably one of the only good things about this 'trend'.
Nah, I mean like on campus how there was a "come meet on the mall dressed like a zombie" meetup advertised a few months ago, or how I was riding the subway in Boston and I saw these three people in grey and red makeup and ripped clothes get on.

I don't get why being a zombie is the new cool thing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Agrees on the flats girls wear. Shows off the ugliest part of the foot. I don't want to see your foot bones and toe cracks.

Toes and a nice pedicure are the attractive parts of girly feet.

Stairs said:
their a different/cool style i have had over 3 girls tell me that I look good w/ a popped collar..lol..dont hate cuz you cant look good

Three girls over the space of the 10 years or so that the popped collar look has been around for? I mean, let's completely disregard the fact it's a douchebag look. Let's focus on the fact it's TEN FUCKING YEARS OLD. Let it die already. God, you could even update your wardrobe and move on to some new looks that douchebags have clung onto instead like Ed Hardy/rhinestone and v-neck shirts etc.

And it's certainly not different when multiple huge groups of people all over the world are rocking the same look. Or did, back in 2005.

Plus your spelling and grammar pretty much write a big giant neon sign on your username which say "I'M A DOUCHEBAG" anyway.

shintoki said:
Fedoras can look fantastic on guys... but there are two problems.
1. You really need the suit to make it work. Otherwise it will look lame.
2. Most likely it will look lame regardless, only few men can actually pull it off.
JzWq2.jpg

Ihka9.jpg

TUROK

Emonga said:
You post some better examples then, wiseguy.

5b_1-770406.JPG

The amount of men who can pull it off is a minuscule amount. Most people end up looking like tools or dorks with them.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Some of the people listing musical genres that have been around for decades should probably look up the definition of the word trend.

Himself

Dr. Strangelove said:
Some of the people listing musical genres that have been around for decades should probably look up the definition of the word trend.

Most of the stuff people are posting here aren't trends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom