• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worth Upgrading from IPhone 8 to SE (2020)?

Liberty4all

Banned
My carrier is offering a deal where I’d get the SE for 0$. Monthly bill would stay the same as with my iPhone 8. LTE data would double from 5 to 9 gigs .

24 month contract (Currently I’m on no contract).

I pay $56 tax in for my current Canadian plan which I think is pretty competitive here.

i know the SE is basically an iPhone 11 in the body of an iPhone 8.

edit: I think the iPhone 8 has additional trade in/resale value too although I haven’t looked into that yet.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
I'm still waiting, personally. My 8 has been superb, extremely durable and shows no signs of letting up. Will hopefully be able to get another couple of solid years out of it before the battery wanes.

Last edited:

lachesis

I have 7 plus - was going to hold onto it for 2 more years but the screen shattered a couple weeks ago. Other than spider web on top half the screen, proximity sensor and front camera, all works okay at the moment.

was thinking about buying an SE - but screen size is little small for my old eyes... so right now I am waiting for 12. Smaller phone, but bigger screen...

TaySan

Banned
Hows the battery on your 8? You can still probably get a couple more years out of it assuming the battery is still solid. Otherwise the SE is a good upgrade as long ad you are okay with the smaller screen.

Liberty4all

Banned
Hows the battery on your 8? You can still probably get a couple more years out of it assuming the battery is still solid. Otherwise the SE is a good upgrade as long ad you are okay with the smaller screen.

my iPhone 8 battery isn’t the greatest ... combination of extensive use plus 26 months old now. I mean I can make it to days end with light use, but if I go heavy during day I need to top up as soon as I get home. Pre pandemic I had taken carrying a spare portable top up battery charger with meto the office ... not an issue now that out of work lol

i wasn’t planning on upgrading, was gonna run the phone to the ground. But the deal the are offering me, my monthly won’t change. New phone same price, albeit locked into a 24 month contract. I might even be able to sell the iphone 8 or get trade in credit too!

Celcius

°Temp. member
I thought about upgrading my 8 to an SE but I'm planning to go to the 12 Pro. I was glad to see them release the SE though, as I've really liked my 8 and it still doesn't even feel sluggish or anything to me. That seems like a good upgrade OP.

Dark Star

SE looks dated. Basically an iPhone 6 with new software/chip.

Get the iPhone 11. It’s a better investment IMO. I went from OnePlus 6 to iPhone 11 recently and I was expecting an upgrade, but the difference is minimal. So I’d definitely recommend a OnePlus if you’re into Android as well.

Last edited:

Liberty4all

Banned
SE looks dated. Basically an iPhone 6 with new software/chip.

Get the iPhone 11. It’s a better investment IMO. I went from OnePlus 6 to iPhone 11 recently and I was expecting an upgrade, but the difference is minimal. So I’d definitely recommend a OnePlus if you’re into Android as well.

The biggest draw of the SE for me is that it will be effectively free aside from being locked into a 24 month contract. No change to my monthly bill which just recently went down when I paid off the tab on my iPhone 8.

Having the innards if an iPhone 11 means it will stretch the overall life of the device. My 8 is fine right now but I’m sure it will slow down in a year or two, prob need a new battery too. I know the SE looks dated but the innards being basically an iphone 11 Is a big draw for me.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The biggest draw of the SE for me is that it will be effectively free aside from being locked into a 24 month contract. No change to my monthly bill which just recently went down when I paid off the tab on my iPhone 8.

Having the innards if an iPhone 11 means it will stretch the overall life of the device. My 8 is fine right now but I’m sure it will slow down in a year or two, prob need a new battery too. I know the SE looks dated but the innards being basically an iphone 11 Is a big draw for me.

One nice thing is that it is the exact same outer shell as the 8, so any leftover screen protectors or cases you have will work with the SE.

TheContact

Hell no, keep your 8 until it dies. I'm not saying the SE is bad but there's no reason to upgrade other than the processor. If you really find that your phone is too slow or you can't play the games you want to, that would be the only reason to upgrade.

Top Bottom