• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would anyone else like a "Tales of" Zelda?

FSLink

Banned
Too obvious to merit sarcasm invested. ;) But Graces ratchets this up to where the badness of the story and characters is so acute, that it makes the battles worse by proxy of having to endure it in-between them.

I have to disagree especially when there's scene skip and the game has fast loading times. I mean if you prefer your JRPGs with a good story, that's fine, but I don't mind if the gameplay and the subsystems are worth investing. I mean I personally think it's a great bonus if it has a good story, but most JRPGs tend to have either cliche and/or awful stories.

Plus you should look up Tales of Rebirth's story. That's a real contender for "worst JRPG story ever". Graces is nowhere near those levels.

Soriku

Which would you recommend? I like RPGs with fast battles, and stories and settings that aren't generic.

Also recommend something as far from cutesy anime style as humanly possible. I just typed Tales of Graces into google images. And.. it would probably have been less offensive to my eyes if I typed in "Goatse"

Graces isn't that cutesy...either way try Xillia or Vesperia. I guess Xillia would appeal to you more if you want a less colorful palette and more realistic models.

TaiKH92

Banned
Already happening...

0010rkku.jpg

Sure, why not. It can't be as bad as Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess.
When was the definition of "bad" changed??

Also
My only "Tales of" experience was the one on the NGC, and it was a really fun well made rpg. However, I'm not sure I'd like to have a"Tales of Hyrule".
:/

Asbear

Banned
I don't want Zelda games from third-parties and a 'Tales of Zelda' gives me a picture of Zelda characters in that dreadful and generic 'Tales of' art-style, not to mention the bad dub that is usually completely cringeworthy!

I guess you can see I'm a bit of a Tales hater from this... :p

FSLink

Banned
I don't want Zelda games from third-parties and a 'Tales of Zelda' gives me a picture of Zelda characters in that dreadful and generic 'Tales of' art-style, not to mention the bad dub that is usually completely cringeworthy!

You clearly haven't played recent Tales games. The dubs are pretty good, or at least as much as they can be with the limited pool of English VAs.

Artstyle, I don't see how a Zelda game could look bad with say, Vesperia's art.

Asbear

Banned
All I know is that Xillia was an uninspired and bloated experience for me, and I'd rather save the big narratives for the 'real' Zelda games :)

Soriku

All I know is that Xillia was an uninspired and bloated experience for me, and I'd rather save the big narratives for the 'real' Zelda games :)

If you thought Xillia was bloated I wonder how you'd feel about the other Tales...or hell many other JRPGs. Xillia had some of the best pacing I've seen in a JRPG (the main story is shorter than other Tales too, but still long enough), particularly by the second half. Some people say the beginning is slow but it's not any slower than many other JRPGs either...

Is this what you call a generic art style?

If so, I hope more games have a generic art style.

Also, "big narrative" and "real Zelda games"? What?

God, NO.

Just no.

I am honestly arguing that Asbel has a social disorder.

I would have to agree with you. That boy wasn't right.

They're trying to get away from the heavy exposition, though.

What rocks are you people crawling out from under so we can put a bigger rock over it?
ITT: people who have never played a Tales game and feel they are well educated enough in the series to make stupid generalizations.

Also ITT: people who may have seen the older games or even played a bit of them and feel the need to assume every Tales game is the same.

With all that being said, a Zelda-ish Dark Souls RPG would be interesting. Or as someone else said, if they can give Mario his own series, why not Ganon?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I think it could be interesting. I'd like to see it set during the Imprisoning War. Let it be about the Sages and the Knights of Hyrule.

Soriku

Why does everyone talk about Asbel but never about Sophie? Regarding Richard she's arguably more indecisive. In fact Asbel is more (rightfully) confused than anything, and when the party does confront Richard he never really goes on about friendship spiel, and doesn't stop himself from fighting him. Sophie does. Shit, are people lumping in everything Sophie said onto Asbel? People going on about Asbel having a disorder or whatnot. I played Graces F last year and I found the Asbel complaints to be exaggerated.

Also the rest of the party didn't even care (although Hubert intended to fight Richard).

If anything I could see you having an issue with Asbel
willingly accepting Lambda
, though nobody brings that up. Funnily enough
Lambda calls him an idiot
, but he ends up being accepting enough and everything works out.

3bdelilah

Banned
But Tales isn't turn based...?

Tales isn't turnbased. It has random battles, but each fight is like a mini-session of a 2d fighting game. You move back and forth and jump and attack in realtime. Maybe it's not actually 2d and you can also sidestep? I can't remember, it's been awhile.

Tales recent games aren't turn-based tho. I don't think they've ever been turn-based.

Ah my bad, I think I've confused it with another series then. But after watching some gameplay footage I still think it wouldn't fit the series at all. But I thought (still do) the same for Dynasty Warriors, but they're doing it anyway since Musou is apparently very popular in Japan.

All I know for sure is I wouldn't like it at all, but I doubt I'm the deciding factor if there's demand for it.

Steroyd

Nope.

Keep the game 100% realtime with the levelling up like Kingdom Hearts with the gameplay like a less punishing Demon/Dark Souls would be a better fit.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
You can sub out fedoracore manchild with fat girl with cat ears if you want, Tales of art and character design is still terrible.

Wow, way to insult people just because they like something you might not... I mean (based on your avatar) I can't stand punk music but it's not like I'm ready to call Ramones fans a bunch of skeezy gutter trash.

Back to the topic at hand... the Zelda franchise has kinda ran its course a bit (though I did like ALBW a whole lot). I'd welcome something new with the Zelda franchise that's not as off-putting as those DS games... and the Tales games are usually solid RPG experiences so, why not?

RalchAC

Personally, I won't like it. I don't especially like Zelda, I don't think I'll buy a WiiU for playing it (it's to expensive and me too poor, so only 1 console per gen until they're really cheap) and I'd actually be annoyed if that means a original Tales of isn't announced because the team is busy with that cross-over.

Party is the biggest problem.

Not really lol. Isn't that Zestiria which will feature Graces-like battle system?

Yep. And it's going to be glorious as long the story is not Graces-like XD. Hope they keep their writters from Xillia 1/2 :)

If you thought Xillia was bloated I wonder how you'd feel about the other Tales...or hell many other JRPGs. Xillia had some of the best pacing I've seen in a JRPG (the main story is shorter than other Tales too, but still long enough), particularly by the second half. Some people say the beginning is slow but it's not any slower than many other JRPGs either...

Is this what you call a generic art style?

If so, I hope more games have a generic art style.

Also, "big narrative" and "real Zelda games"? What?

For a reason I'll never understand, there is quite some people that think complaining about Tales of is cool.

Xillia has some really cool areas and the free camera benefited the cities quite a lot (fixed camera makes the scale rather limited). You haven't posted it, but I absolutely loved Xian Du design. My favorite city in the game :)

And, as you said, Xillia has quite a good pacing. It's a little rushed in the end (I'd have liked to see more Elympios) but I was surprised because previous Tales games (and the genre in general) usually have pacing problems. People say Xillia 2 story is even better ^^

No, keep Tales away from good games.

EDIT: If you mean that kind of gameplay in a Zelda game, use Kingdom Hearts as a base instead. It has a better battle system by far and is a better game in general.

Soriku

No, keep Tales away from good games.

EDIT: If you mean that kind of gameplay in a Zelda game, use Kingdom Hearts as a base instead. It has a better battle system by far and is a better game in general.

I like KH and all, but no it doesn't have a better battle system by far unless you've only played the older Tales games, and no KH isn't much better than the Tales series either.

Top Bottom