• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would anyone else like a "Tales of" Zelda?

They're trying to get away from the heavy exposition, though.

nope.png

That would literally be the ultimate letdown for me, gaming related. I already find it very hard (c.q. boring) to get into turn based games, but furthermore I just loathe the JRPG genre in general. I don't like the traditional Japanese games.

What rocks are you people crawling out from under so we can put a bigger rock over it?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
After what happened to Samus (babybabybabybaby), I'd rather not "flesh out" another one of the Nintendo protagonists with more personality. It'd be almost impossible to keep Link as the "silent hero" type in one of these games unless they go all Chrono Trigger.

Laconic

Banned
If this thread were about playing a "Seiken Densetsu Zelda", then yes.

But... no. No. No, man. Shit no, man. I do believe [Enter Generic Tales Hero of Choice Here] would get his ass kicked playin' some Link To the Past, man.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Zelda with Tales of Graces F combat system and Zelda Dungeons and Im the fuck in. Link, Goron, Zora, Gerudo for Party members. If you need two more add the bird people from Wind Waker and create a new character

kingkaiser

what the fuck are you even talking about? Have you ever actually played a Tales game? That's not how they play

Yes, played Tales of Symphonia on the Cube. After starting the second disk I must have fallen asleep, though. Same boring button mashing for 40+ hours, only interupted with embarrassing cutscenes, but hey at least the artstyle seemed nice...yawn

I love the Zelda series, but not for its lore and stories. Its gameplay has always been the draw for me. In a Tales game, the story would have to be the focus. Now a Zelda inspired Tales is more interesting to me.

Shahed

I'd love one actually. Not necessarily Tales of Hyrule or anything, but more specifically a Zelda RPG. It would have to be done right though

Soriku

nope.png

That would literally be the ultimate letdown for me, gaming related. I already find it very hard (c.q. boring) to get into turn based games, but furthermore I just loathe the JRPG genre in general. I don't like the traditional Japanese games.

Not only is Tales not turn based as stated, most RPGs on consoles aren't either anymore.

Tales isn't turnbased. It has random battles, but each fight is like a mini-session of a 2d fighting game. You move back and forth and jump and attack in realtime. Maybe it's not actually 2d and you can also sidestep? I can't remember, it's been awhile.

Tales generally has no random battles.

The only redeeming quality of the Tales series is it's battle system, so sure, I could get in on that.

Get rid of the characters that are clearly aimed at fedoracore man children and you'll have a nice entry in to the series.

Stupidest statement I've heard in a while. Can we stop with the whole fedora this fedora that garbage?

xxxxx yyyyyy xxxxxx

dat substance

What Tales game is this? Tales combat is way better than Zelda combat. If you want Zelda combat done right, look at Souls. Zelda isn't on that level (yet?)

Edit: Play recent Tales. Even ToS has better combat than Zelda.

Vylsith

Banned
I don't really see the two mixing well. Zelda honestly doesn't have enough story to work in the Tales universe. Zelda is more about gameplay and Tales is more about story. I like the story in Zelda and the gameplay in Tales, but the two are completely contradictory in where they shine. To make Tales of Zelda work you'd have to add a ridiculous amount of extra lore to Zelda, and quite honestly that would probably kill the game for me. If it was done really well, maybe I'd love it, but I can't help but think it would feel forced.

I like both series (though Tales hasn't been working for me much lately), but this doesn't seem like it'd be that great. If it did happen, I'd totally play it though just for the hell of it, just like how I'll be playing Hyrule Warriors even though I don't like Musou games.

You mean a game with the Zelda universe/Story and the Tales series' gameplay?
Yes! Sounds good to me.

I was thinking about the same thing the other day.

Link can be a silent protagonist. Zelda can be a playable character. Gorons, zoras, gerudos, etc., there's a lot of things from Zelda you can put in a game like this!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I think its a really good idea and I'd love to see it happen.

But I'm amazed by the kickback from Zelda fans

This is a Zelda spin-off I'd LOVE to see! Shame Tales of Link wasn't this, would've been perfect unless of course they call it Tales of Zelda.

Make it look like Vesperia.

Vylsith

Banned
You can sub out fedoracore manchild with fat girl with cat ears if you want, Tales of art and character design is still terrible.

It must be doing something right to be one of the few JRPGs to last this long as a series. Maybe it's just that you aren't into it? I know it's cool to belittle everyone who doesn't like your taste in games, but maybe you're acting a little childish about this.

Negator

Maybe they would finally make a great Zelda game. The only thing that brought me out of Zelda apathy within the last 15 years was ALBW.

Vylash

The only redeeming quality of the Tales series is it's battle system, so sure, I could get in on that.

Get rid of the characters that are clearly aimed at fedoracore man children and you'll have a nice entry in to the series.

"I've never played a Tales game, but I'll still make this post!"

This is a Zelda spin-off I'd LOVE to see! Shame Tales of Link wasn't this, would've been perfect unless of course they call it Tales of Zelda.

Make it look like Vesperia.

I'll take any Tales that looks like Vesperia again, even it if needs Zelda, lol. Would be less shameful than Zelda Mosou anyway.

xxxxx yyyyyy xxxxxx

dat substance

Zelda: BBBBBBB (eventually press left or right for select enemies in the 3D titles)

So he's right.

Soriku

Depends on the Tales title. Xillia might have some of the worst character designs I've ever seen.

Xillia has some of the best designs. Alvin, Gaius, Muzet, Rowen. I'd say the rest of the main cast looks good too, although Elize just looks decent (better in Xillia 2) and Milla's hair is weird from the back, but other than that the rest of the cast is solid. The rest of the villains looks alright.

zeelman

Sure, if they can somehow implement a Tales-like battle system in the Zelda format. I would want nothing else from it in Zelda, though.

kingkaiser

Zelda: BBBBBBB (eventually press left or right for select enemies in the 3D titles) So he's right.

Sure, but thankfully in Zelda the underwhelming combat doesen't make out like 90% of the whole game, unlike in tales games.

If I ever should suffer from insomnia, I think a nice round of tales of gameplay may be the best medicine, but thinking about it, I would rather hit myself with a club than actually playing this nightmare of a series ever again.

Top Bottom