• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be satisfied if the PS5 is 399$ ?

Would you be satisfied if the PS5 is 399$ ?

• Total voters

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Some people here are in for a big shock when it inevitably costs over $400 (and still sells fine over time).

The overwhelming majority of consumers don't care that the specs are slightly worse than Xbox. They don't even understand them. They just know that they're getting a huge upgrade from their base PS4, which they are. $500 is not unreasonable for this machine.

The genuine main concern is how many people still have that kind of disposable income by the end of this year. Times are about to get real hard for a lot of folks.

Ellery

$399 for that beast of a machine would be a dream come true.

There is no way this thing is only $399, because it is so much better than what the PS4 was like in 2013 (comparatively) and I fully expect it to be $499.

if it is $399 then I will dance for a week straight

Aion002

So far... nope.

With the info we have about it, I will only buy a PS5 in a sale after getting good exclusives.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I doubt it's as absolute as that. "Won't be out of position" =/= won't be undercut.

If Sony beats them on pricing by $100, then I'd say Sony certainly has an advantage.
Realistically, with a 20 % performance advantage you can't be 25 % more expensive. So they need to be exactly where Sony is or $50 more expensive. And the power advantage really works best if they are simply the same price and one is 10 and the other 12 TF. The XSX APU being just 360 mm^2 (pretty much the same as Xbox One in 2013, which was 363 mm^2) is strong evidence that it's targeting the same 399 where Xbox One would have been without Kinect.
I think we are just seeing a console for 399 that targeted 2019 originally and another console for 399 that targeted 2020, that's the difference in power.

Last edited:
Some people here are in for a big shock when it inevitably costs over $400 (and still sells fine over time).

The overwhelming majority of consumers don't care that the specs are slightly worse than Xbox. They don't even understand them. They just know that they're getting a huge upgrade from their base PS4, which they are. $500 is not unreasonable for this machine.

The genuine main concern is how many people still have that kind of disposable income by the end of this year. Times are about to get real hard for a lot of folks.
The overwhelming majority of consumers don't care that the specs are slightly worse than Xbox.
the specs are slightly worse than Xbox.
slightly worse
slightly worse

:pie_thinking:

Last edited:
That would be a great price, especially when the Xbox is no doubt 499. But I think it will be hard to retail at that without taking a sizeable hit. 449 seems more realistic.

Both consoles will be $499
It's Game Over then.
It’s a 399 machine , you see it in everything. Great use of power available. But no beast.
...No, it's foggy right now, we can't tell the price.
If Sony beats them on pricing by $100, then I'd say Sony certainly has an advantage.
Yes.

Lol, you are way out of line here "people don't even understand spec's", glad you did understood them.
I bet you're the only one in this world who use a smartphone & read articles, browse social media... and most important, would notice the phrase on Xbox console BOX "the most powerful console ever made" which MS gonna milk till the end of this generation.
$399 for that beast of a machine would be a dream come true.

There is no way this thing is only $399, because it is so much better than what the PS4 was like in 2013 (comparatively) and I fully expect it to be $499.

if it is $399 then I will dance for a week straight
If they manage to pull that off (-100$ cheaper than xbox), we might have a winner.

hemo memo

Gold Member
PS4 lasted me a generation. Would PS5 last me a generation? No. Would Series X? Probably so long term even if more expensive it’s the better investment. With better service and better support (BC) and most likely better 3rd party games performance and with Microsoft investment in more studios and the confident they showed in the product.

For the tech yes, but I can guarantee it will be £450+ due to the current economic climate and the fact that the series x will likely be around £450 too. Sony will need to make something on each machine sold and MS may decide to take a £100 loss on each machine.

Vawn

Banned
It's probably $499. It's a beast of a console despite all these posters who claim otherwise.

I'll happily pay whatever, the console looks amazing. I'll get a Series X as well as soon as I see s couple games I'd like to play.

Ellery

PS4 lasted me a generation. Would PS5 last me a generation? No. Would Series X? Probably so long term even if more expensive it’s the better investment. With better service and better support (BC) and most likely better 3rd party games performance and with Microsoft investment in more studios and the confident they showed in the product.

Nothing is future proof. What does "last a generation" even mean? Do you think suddenly the PS5 will be too slow to actually run games? If the time will come where the PS5 is "too slow/won't last" to run games then the Series X won't be any better either, because the difference is not as big as screamlords make it out to be.

One thing to remember. If you buy the latest and bestest graphics card for 2500$ then 4 years later you can have that performance for 400$ and that 2500$ Titan card is "outdated".

The other reasons you listed I can get behind even though we have not really seen anything from Microsoft just yet to give me conficende, but I believe in Phil Spencer and I think he is on the right path, but with the Series X he needs to deliver games aswell. It was understandable that he couldn't save the Xbox One because games are planned long in advance and he took over from the always online 500$ kinect dude who I forgot his name Matthew or so.

If they manage to pull that off (-100$ cheaper than xbox), we might have a winner.

I would be surprised if the Xbox Series X was cheap and I would consider less than $599 cheap for that piece of hardware.

I am mostly a Playstation Person, but honestly they have to price it cheaper than the Series X. Just in terms of the actual BOM hardware cost which should be noticeably higher for the Series X.

My guess right now PS5 $499 and Xbox Series X $599, but could be even higher.

Vawn

Banned
Yes, but tech is really different this time around.

Bullcrap. The difference between the PS5 and PS4 is a much bigger leap than PS4 from PS3.

People are looking at the only number, which most have no idea what it means anyway, and say "one is 12 and one is 10, so the 10 must be crap".

People will see when the actual games come out. I bet they will look and play basically identical to the naked idea with various tiny pros and cons between the two consoles when broken down via DF videos.

I actually believe Microsoft might have gone and made the Series X too beefed up. I think pockets might be a little more reserved after this coronavirus outbreak. They have to sell that at a huge loss. Things will be interesting.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Lol, you are way out of line here "people don't even understand spec's", glad you did understood them.
I bet you're the only one in this world who use a smartphone & read articles, browse social media... and most important, would notice the phrase on Xbox console BOX "the most powerful console ever made" which MS gonna milk till the end of this generation.

Get our of your online bubble where everyone is frothing at the mouth for Mark Cerny's spec video. The people who want to play COD and FIFA can't tell you what a fucking teraflop is. They don't care that the PS5 has less.

PS4 didn't dominate the last generation on power alone and there's a reason a glorified tablet just outsold XB1's lifetime sales in half the time.

Specs are nice for the people that care, like us forum users, but that's far, far less people than you imagine it is.

LordOfChaos

Like I've said before, if the PS5 was 100 dollars cheaper than the SeX and carried forward all PS4 BC, I wouldn't care too much about the CPU/GPU power differential

Buuuut given that they seem to be bungling up that second part....Hopefully the BC story is better by launch, if it just carried forward all of my PS4 stuff and upgraded some titles with a free developer patch, it could still sail to a win, but it does seem Microsoft has been executing better on most fronts so far.

Ellery

I am always wondering people who buy solely based on performance if they only play third party games like Battlefield, Fifa, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs and hate fun and greatness.

That's true, if the situation stays as it is for several months or so, it very likely will have a large impact. But I think in that case the impact in overall sales, regardless of pricing will be huge.
Yea everyone will take losses..but that pricing matters for casuals big time. Were enthusiasts. Theres times when I tell other working adults what I spend on gaming and I get weird looks. The average consumer isnt throwing down 650 dollars to game on a PC box. Most people dont even have 4k tvs.

Reactions: AV

Fbh

If it ends up being $399 I would have preferred for them to bump the price up to $499 and increased the specs. But still, it would be a pretty good price given the specs.

Of course it also depends on how much the Series X costs. If there isn't at least a $100 price difference then the Ps5 its overpriced IMO

quest

Not Banned from OT
If it ends up being $399 I would have preferred for them to bump the price up to $499 and increased the specs. But still, it would be a pretty good price given the specs.

Of course it also depends on how much the Series X costs. If there isn't at least a $100 price difference then the Ps5 its overpriced IMO
There is not a 100 dollars in bom between them they are probably almost even. Sonys cooling and SSD cancel out the 60mm of die space difference Microsoft has to pay for. The series x could even be cheaper thanks to that uber expensive ssd.

Fbh

There is not a 100 dollars in bom between them they are probably almost even. Sonys cooling and SSD cancel out the 60mm of die space difference Microsoft has to pay for. The series x could even be cheaper thanks to that uber expensive ssd.

If they end up costing the same or the series X is somehow cheaper then I think then I definitely think whatever the Ps5 ends up costing is too much.
Hopefully they don't fall into the same trap as Microsoft at the start of this gen, a weaker console that's more expensive because of some gimmick no one really cares about.

pr0cs

I'll buy both machines regardless of price.

But, right now from a raw numbers perspective Sony's best play is fantastic exclusives at launch and competitive price. If either one of those criteria aren't met they will lose marketshare

Top Bottom