• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a hand-drawn 2D Mario game?

Absolutely. When the series went 3D a lot of the character charm was lost.
See the abomination that is modern Yoshi for example (excluding Woolly World).

orioto

Good Art™
For whatever reason it seems all the 2D art style love goes at Kirby, not Mario.. I guess 2D mario are all about the level design and challenge now, rather than the "magical" feel. Probably cause Kirby (or Yoshi) are still trying to please a kid crowd, while 2D marios are for older players.

RAWi

Yes, but only if gameplay is good, fast and you can distinguish among platforms. It is horrible when you can't clearly distinguish among platforms and background D: !!!!

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
PBKFazJ.jpg

This would be my dream. Love the Mario 3 style.

Seeing 2D artwork of Super Mario 3D World (like character icons or OST decoration) makes me sure Nintendo still nails that style. Wasn't it made by the same artist who did all old school images in Mario manuals?..

characterselect.jpg

So, yeah. After Super Mario Maker, NSMB series seems to be dead and in need of serious renovation. Let's hope for handidrawn reboot!

I did. It was called Super Mario Land 7: Wario Land 5: The Shake Dimension.

All of you need to play Shake Dimension, it's really an under-appreciated game being left to eat the dust of Kirby's Epic Yarn.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That would be awesome. I really dislike the unimaginative pseudo-3D style of the NSMB games. Feels lazy. Something that looks like the SML art would have so much more character.

XNpBkV7.jpg

I love that old art style they did for boxarts and other promo material. The Mario Land one above was one of my favourites - the actual game looked nothing like it but I always felt that was the direction we would eventually get to. After World though, and that long hiatus, we got the New series instead, not exactly what I was hoping for.

So we sorta got four-ish of the Old games and then we sorta got four-ish of the New games, I'm hoping the NX will finally let me get my wish and we finally get a playable version of the above.

Instantly.
I always hoped to one day play a Mario game that resembled the illustrations. Zelda also!

I have nothing to say to this but HELLZ YEAH!

Though I don't think NSMBU looks as bad as people say, it's one of the least sterile 2D Mario's.

TrueBlue

I've always been of the opinion that the main reason that the "New" series is ragged on is due to its aesthetics. Never really bothered me, but I imagine a hand drawn style would please a lot of people.

I'd like to see a game styled after the 2D portraits that made a return in Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World.

Comparison3_zps8e7034f7.png

mariogames2.jpg

anything to stop this god awful progress...
please for the love of mario stop this mess, i've never seen anything as lazy in terms of art direction as these titles.

SerTapTap

In fact I'd go as far as to say the company's focus on almost exclusively 3D visuals for the 3DS and Wii U is one of the most disappointing things they've done this gen. New SMB is looking mighty stale, the only good part of Yoshi's New Island is the 2D backgrounds, plenty of games look absolutely horrid on 3DS due to the insistence on 3D.

If the game is an EXACT remake of one of the New Super Mario Bros. games, like, literally exactly the same shit but with 2D hand-drawn graphics, would you buy it?

Floex

mariogames2.jpg

please for the love of mario stop this mess, i've never seen anything as lazy in terms of art direction as these titles.

I detest this style so much. How can something like Mario become so dull and lifeless?

Very much in the yes camp of a 2D cartoon style.

TrueBlue

mariogames2.jpg

I think that's more a problem with unoriginal locales as opposed to art direction - though I suppose a different style would help make them feel fresh.

Simbabbad

Unfortunately, while this sold enough to validate its existence, it didn't break the charts:

warioland2.jpg

warioland1.jpg

warioland3.jpg

Wario Land the Shake Dimension was amazing on every level, but back when it released it was criticized as "cheap" (as in "this should be a 5$ WiiWare game"), and compared unfavourably to Bionic Commando Rearmed, which was visually 3D (which was back then mistakenly seen as asking more work and being more impressive).

So I doubt they'll do it, but I'd really love to, especially in the box art/manual/promotion/SM3DW style already shown here. I like the looks of NSMBU, but this would be great.

EDIT: @Easy_D: wow, at the near exact same moment.

Yes if mario controls like Donkey Kong 94

giphy.gif
Greatest platformer ever. Also, amazing how characters were very expressive in that game, despite being 8-bit.

I would love to see something done in Yoichi Kotabe's style. That's the guy you all love for drawing the SMB3-style manual art. I don't know if he still does it but it's absolutely classic. Mr. Iwata did an Iwata Asks with him where he talked about his animation history and how he joined Nintendo here.

Also, a Japanese dojin group compiled a book of a bunch of his animation artwork (from Horus (or Hols), Prince of the Sun, Heidi, Girl of the Alps and other classic shows). It's expensive (over $100) but you can order it here and see a somewhat blurry flip-through of it here.

Top Bottom