• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you stop buying PS consoles if Sony released their games on PC day 1?

Would you stop buying PS consoles if Sony released their games on PC day 1?

• Yes

Votes: 265 50.1%
  • No

Votes: 264 49.9%

• Total voters

Roxkis_ii

Man, this is the closest poll of this size I've seen here. Console bros are only up by a hair.

HRRTxOF.jpeg

Last edited:

Nydius

Gold Member
The “I just want to turn it on and play” and “I want to just sit on my couch and play” comments have me scratching my head.

Consoles, especially this gen, have become much more like PCs in terms of graphics settings. Games on consoles now come with presets and the ability to customize your individual settings to optimize your experience based on console hardware and display. It’s not as micromanaged as PC but it’s getting there. You don’t need to fiddle with every setting on PC either, you can just choose a preset, same as consoles.

Also, it’s not like we’re in the late 90s or early 2000s anymore where you’re stuck behind a monitor with a proprietary or PC-only connector interface. Most GPUs have multiple HDMI outputs and wireless keyboards and mice mean you’re not tethered to a desk. Run an HDMI to your TV, launch your game, pick up your controller.

Edit: I can give a bit of credit to those who say they don’t want to deal with driver updates and the like but most driver updates can be made just as automated as game updates on consoles. And hell, you have driver updates on console too, they just call them “system updates”. 🤷

Last edited:

DeVeAn

I never really cared for Sony as a game company. Nintendo and SEGA were the last video game companies doing hardware that I cared about. Obviously Nintendo still doin it. Sony just muscled its way in and so did Microsoft.

I would just play exclusively on PC if I could get console experience like for like no quirks.

Boglin

The “I just want to turn it on and play” and “I want to just sit on my couch and play” comments have me scratching my head.

Consoles, especially this gen, have become much more like PCs in terms of graphics settings. Games on consoles now come with presets and the ability to customize your individual settings to optimize your experience based on console hardware and display. It’s not as micromanaged as PC but it’s getting there. You don’t need to fiddle with every setting on PC either, you can just choose a preset, same as consoles.

Also, it’s not like we’re in the late 90s or early 2000s anymore where you’re stuck behind a monitor with a proprietary or PC-only connector interface. Most GPUs have multiple HDMI outputs and wireless keyboards and mice mean you’re not tethered to a desk. Run an HDMI to your TV, launch your game, pick up your controller.

Edit: I can give a bit of credit to those who say they don’t want to deal with driver updates and the like but most driver updates can be made just as automated as game updates on consoles. And hell, you have driver updates on console too, they just call them “system updates”. 🤷
Until it's not overwhelming for the average person to intuitively setup a PC, as well as launch and fully operate the games using nothing more than a game controller then you'll continue to be scratching your head.
You don't see having a wireless mouse and keyboard in the living room(or maybe some other substitute peripheral) as a problem but I assure you it's a deal breaker for the majority of people.

Also, even though people have the ability to adjust presets with consoles more often now, I'd wager most console gamers don't even select or change any unless it's part of the initial game setup.

BTW, I've been using a small form factor living rooms PCs for almost 10 years and in the past 5 years I haven't had a mouse or keyboard hooked up even once to my current setup. I use a Steam controller with a shit load of different button mappings and I've made modifications to the OS to make it more console-like in appearance and usage but the whole setup might as well be voodoo for everyone I've shown it to.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The poll says it all, just going off the results Sony's install base would be cut in half.

Yeah for nerds who post on gaming forums. Not for the vast majority of their install base who only play CoD/ Fortnite / Madden / whatever. Gaming enthusiasts gravitate to PC anyway.

DrFigs

I'm already really not feeling most playstation games. the games i really enjoy now were either bought out by MS or are third party. so there just wouldnt be any point to keep investing in this eco system.

Three

Yeah for nerds who post on gaming forums. Not for the vast majority of their install base who only play CoD/ Fortnite / Madden / whatever. Gaming enthusiasts gravitate to PC anyway.
If that were the case there wouldn't be half the people on an enthusiast gaming forum saying they will stay with Playstation. There is a large number of gaming enthusiasts that play playstation and there are a lot of PC players playing Fortnite and CoD. There is also a large group that owns both and would maybe find it redundant if that were to happen. The poll is very close. They would certainly lose a lot of enthusiasts that probably spend more buying games, that's for sure.

AmuroChan

They would certainly lose a lot of enthusiasts that probably spend more buying games, that's for sure.

That's actually the reason I wouldn't switch. I've spent many thousands of dollars on the PSN store and also own a couple hundred physical games. So unless Steam presents me a way to transfer all my purchases AND allow me to play my physical games, I'm not going to just flush all that money down the toilet and switch to PC 100%.

If I could get the same performance with my consoles as I get with a great pc, I wouldn't own a gaming pc and on the contrary if every console exclusive would come out on pc I wouldn't own a single console....

That's what I would like to think but in reality it's a more complicated matter. Local couch coop matters in this house because my girlfriend also likes to game and we do play some games together. I also wouldn't play first person shooters or point&click adventure games with a controller.

No, I'm just not a fan of the the PC gaming setup. Don't get me wrong, i understand the appeal and why so many folks love it but its not for me. I like to just press play and my OCD is a major problem when dealing with graphics settings. PS and Nintendo are probably always going to be my setup.

No. I can't afford to game on PC. Console gaming has its own expenses but the hardware is much cheaper and requires few periphereals and I can go 7 years without needing to reinvest.

Add to this I much prefer the simplicity of installing a game from disc or PSN and just being able to play without having to tweak a lot of optimizations for my environment. I also like to use my PC while I'm gaming to look up info like collectibles and missable trophies and I often have Twitch on while I game, as well as Discord and several political articles and YouTube and NeoGAF. I'm a multi-tasking gamer!

So no, Sony dumping its releases on PC Day 1 would have literally no effect on my gaming habits or cause me to ditch their console.

Last edited:
Personally, I would continue buying PS HW just because I prefer the console experience. However, there's no denying that there are plenty of people out there who would stop buying it and just invest in a decent gaming PC. It's exactly what happened to Xbox.

It really depends on the player. If they prefer to play on the couch on a budget, get a PS5.

If you’d like to seclude yourself to a chair in front of a monitor and feel money is no object when it comes to entertainment? Get a high end gaming PC.

If you want the best of both worlds, get a mid range PC in a microITX format and hook it up to your TV.

Consoles are better for couch coop games though.

I saw this discussion on another forum and I want GAF's take on it too. If Sony starts to release games on PC day one going forward, will that make any difference to your ownership of PlayStation consoles? Why or why not?
PCs aren't consoles, no I won't stop buying Playstations because of that.

Roxkis_ii

I own a gaming laptop and a PS5.
On my laptop, a driver, game or bios update muderered my frame rate in Overwatch. I would never have to worry about that on console.

PC's have too many variables to operate as smoothly as consoles.

//DEVIL//

If that happens then the only reason you would buy PlayStation if you are dead ass broke. Or your knowledge of PC is in negative, or your wife doesn’t allow you to buy PC and connect it to the TV.

Divorce the wife and you good to go

Mivo

Neo Member
I've been a computer gamer since the Amstrad CPC6128 (followed by several Atari STs and then PCs), and it wasn't until the PS5 that I really embraced a console system. I've had various handhelds and do have a Switch also, but those were just side shows. The PS5 is the first console that I feel can work as a main gaming system for me. I still have a capable gaming PC, but I've been shifting more of my gaming time to the console.

The chief reasons are that I'd like to increasingly separate work and gaming more strictly from one another (doing everything on the same machine has always impacted both productivity and enjoyment of gaming), that I'd like to have more flexibility with hardware (switch back to Linux without drawbacks or downsize from a desktop PC to an office laptop or a Macbook Air), and that I feel hardware-wise console gaming is financially more sustainable for me. My entire PS5 cost less than my 4070, and that is not a high end card. Without gaming in the picture, I could still do all my work and non-gaming computer stuff on the same machine I had a decade+ ago without feeling limited.

The subscription services like GamePass and PS+ Extra/Premium also lower the cost of the hobby for me. There is GamePass for PC, but the software is really not great and I don't really want to use multiple launchers and have my purchases (DLC for example) spread out over multiple storefronts, each with their own launcher. Buying and selling used physical copies of games is still an option for console as well, which would be another way to save money if necessary. Lastly, everyone having the same hardware simplifies research when looking for new games. If a game dips to 15 fps or runs smoothly on another user's PS5,, it'll drop to 15 fps or run great on mine too, and I don't need to try and guess how it might run on my computer configuration.

As for the poll: I don't feel Sony would be doing their business a favor in the long term by releasing their first party games on PC within a year or less, but it wouldn't stop me from buying their hardware. I didn't get the PS5 for the exclusives in the first place. That was/is a bonus, but it didn't impact my purchase decision strongly. There is no shortage of new games coming out that I want to play, so waiting a year or two for a specific game wasn't a problem for me. But I do believe exclusives drive console sales, so in Sony's shoes I'd stay away from day-one PC releases.

I can't say 100% what I would do but I would probably still buy a console. I don't see Sony going the Microsoft route though. I think all PS games will come to PC but they will be timed exclusives as it still gives you the PC crowd without sacrificing the reason to buy your console like with the Xbox.

As somebody that has owned and played on PCs since the late 90s when I was like a little kid (minus a few years here and there periodically) and as somebody that is firmly in the SFF PC camp because I move my PC back and forth between a desk setup and my OLED tv; PC gaming on a tv isn't the greatest experience. I've tried all sorts of setupsand it's just frustrating at times.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the "I don't want to sit at a desk" comments as much as some of the PCMR people around here do but I doubt the majority of people would find it as easy and intuitive as a console. You can get it pretty close and I actually have my PC set to boot directly into BPM on startup (which is annoying when it's on my desk but I usually just put my PC to sleep anyway so I just gotta exit it once) but there are still annoying times when I gotta grab my keyboard and mouse to answer prompts or on some old games even enable controller.

I always see this comment about how enthusiasts gravitate towards PC and it always comes across sort of naive. The vast majority of PC players that I know or have met in real life play almost entirely multiplayer games which I find it hard to call them "enthusiasts" or "hardcore".

PC has grown a lot in the last few years but for me it's unfortunate because the PC gaming that I have grown to love and the PC gaming that has brought that growth are two different things. One had "soul" or whatever you want to call it and it was simply another place to play with unique experiences and the other is dominated by live service games, and shitty streamer bait. I fully stand by the thought that the majority of younger users on PC only bought a PC because their favorite twitch streamer told them to buy a PC so they get a kickback and they wanted to be like them.

Hell I know a 46 year old that literally only plays Destiny/Warzone and maybe like 2 other one offs a year that bought a PC purely because a streamer he follows had a code and he thought it would make him better at the game. It didn't and whenever I've played with him his performance is exactly the same as it was on a base PS4 and his PS5.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Too premature to say, we’ll see how. What if there’s no next Playstation? What are the launch game? Etc

KaiserBecks

I don’t see why. There are other games that won’t release on PC (and some I‘d still prefer to play on console) so I‘d need a console either way. Never understood that argument. Putting games on PC didn’t hurt Xbox, not releasing enough quality titles overall is what put them in the mess they’re in currently.

hinch7

Yep. No reason not to. I've barely used my PS5 since launch and the exclusives for games feel more like timed. Next generation the lines are going to be blurred even more. And with SE seemingly not accepting money hats anymore I don't see the need for PS6, or any other console.

The only thing of value is physical media that I take advantage of, for one and done games and trading them in. And my PS+, which once runs out, I won't be resubbing.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

No, I will buy them still despite being PC main now, because I like them. Nice system, nice ecosystem, great UI etc.

Ill def stay main PC now though which is new to me. :)

Kokoloko85

Putting games on PC didn’t hurt Xbox.
It definitely did. Loads of people said I dont need to own a Xbox anymore. Why would someone buy an Xbox when they have a PC if it has all the games?

During the Xbox 360/ PS3 era, PC didnt have games like Halo 3, Gears, Forza, RDR, Lost Odessey and more. That all went out the window next gen.

Gamepass killed there software sales, but going PC day 1 messed up there hardware sales. Theres plenty of threads and posts on Gaf and other places saying they dont need xbox anymore after it was announced lol. You see similar comments about PS5‘s and waiting till PC release now

Bernardougf

Gold Member
this notion that the mainstream public are a bunch of retards that dont know what the fuck is happening in the gaming hardware world and only want to play COD and drool worked wonders for the xbox one coming form the success of the xbox360 right ? .... its 2024, not 1990, news travel , friends talk, normies knew the ps4 was more powerfull and with more memory and new about xbome drm restrictions.. its not rocket science. is only gaming.

Last edited:

rm082e

Does anybody still believe there will be no effect on the console if this were to happen?

I think the real question is this: If they started doing day-and-date releases on PC, some of us who have powerful PC's and prefer that platform would stop buying PS hardware. But how many PC players who won't buy PS hardware would buy those games on PC? They'd be losing some money on the first group, but making some on the second. So do the revenue and profit numbers from the second group outweigh the loss from the first group?

If they do, then it's probably a good move for them. If they don't, then it's a bad move. This is a case of "it depends...", and the nitty gritty details we won't get to see because we're not in PlayStation's accounting department.

I'd also mention that yes, Xbox made this bet and seems to have failed miserably at it. But that's not because it's a bad idea across the board. Xbox failed at it because they haven't put out very many games, they didn't market them for shit, and many of their games haven't been well received. Just because the strategy didn't work for Xbox doesn't mean it can't be a good move for PlayStation.

Roxkis_ii

I think the real question is this: If they started doing day-and-date releases on PC, some of us who have powerful PC's and prefer that platform would stop buying PS hardware. But how many PC players who won't buy PS hardware would buy those games on PC? They'd be losing some money on the first group, but making some on the second. So do the revenue and profit numbers from the second group outweigh the loss from the first group?

I can only speculate, but I imagine Sony makes more money off console users, since it's guarantee they'll buy a game, and also likely to subscribe to ps plus. Also depending on when the console was bought, Sony may make money off the hardware sale too.

On the pc side, not only does Sony have to compete in a bigger market place on steam (and maybe the epic store?? ) and take a 30% cut from what they sell, they also have to compete with piracy.

This is why releasing games day and date on PC never makes sence to me. Sony would be losing so much to gain so little.

Last edited:

Three

If they do, then it's probably a good move for them. If they don't, then it's a bad move. This is a case of "it depends...", and the nitty gritty details we won't get to see because we're not in PlayStation's accounting department.

I'd also mention that yes, Xbox made this bet and seems to have failed miserably at it. But that's not because it's a bad idea across the board. Xbox failed at it because they haven't put out very many games, they didn't market them for shit, and many of their games haven't been well received. Just because the strategy didn't work for Xbox doesn't mean it can't be a good move for PlayStation.
I think releasing it first on Playstation definitely outweighs it mainly because of the 30% cut that they would lose not on just their games but third party too. Remember even things like Fortnite mtx revenue is split from hours played on a Playstation. If they say you don't need a playstation it's like saying they don't want that mtx and 30% too. Xbox mostly bailed on the 30% and store by becoming a huge publisher instead by buying their own Fortnite in CoD, Diablo, Minecraft, Elderscrolls online etc. Playstations business model is the Playstation even though they are expanding beyond it it's still successful and their bread and butter unlike xbox. That's the only reason it was abandoned by MS.

Last edited:

evanft

Yes.

The only reason I still own a PS5 is my PS4 library. Those games run better on PS5 than PS4 Pro, so I see some benefit in having one for now. Once I'm done with all my PS4 games, though, I don't think I'll ever own another PlayStation. What would be the point?

Kataploom

Gold Member
I've always gamed on PC, mostly for financial reasons (a PC is a work tool so it was more efficient to have one), so I'll get their games there whenever possible. But the reasons to get consoles, for me, are beyond PS games:
1. Avoid PC kernel anti-cheats
2. Play the old exclusive catalog I missed on 7th and 8th gen
3. Nintendo games, I pirated them a lot back in the day and know the problems of emulation so I rather play them on OG hardware.

You also got to factor in how many solely PS5 owners would switch over to PC because now everything would be on PC?

Over the next few years, I believe you will see games release within 6-12 months on PC. I think the biggest reason it may take that long is because they don't have the resources to port all of their games to PC. They only have a handful of studios dedicated to doing that. You really think Sony intentionally waited 4 years to port over Ghost of Tsushima? No, GOT was just next in a long backlog of PC ports

I think it is way too big of a gamble to risk the health of their hardware base by going day and date. I personally wish they would, as their studios would increase in value due to sales growth, which would give them bigger budgets/games

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

I voted no, but I'm not buying the next PS console anyway. I think I have played my PS5 the least out of any major console I have ever owned, and so I'm now off the PS console train.

Fredrik

If that were the case there wouldn't be half the people on an enthusiast gaming forum saying they will stay with Playstation. There is a large number of gaming enthusiasts that play playstation and there are a lot of PC players playing Fortnite and CoD. There is also a large group that owns both and would maybe find it redundant if that were to happen. The poll is very close. They would certainly lose a lot of enthusiasts that probably spend more buying games, that's for sure.
Going by enthusiast boards most PC gamers have a 4080 or higher.
Going by Steam hardware stats most people have a 3060 or lower.

The loss would barely be seen.

Sony could gain from more excited enthusiast PC gamers since they talk a lot and stream and post screenshots, which could help sell games.

Right now every Sony exclusive comes with negativity from loud complaints about the exclusivity and PC delay plus port begging.

Fabieter

Going by enthusiast boards most PC gamers have a 4080 or higher.
Going by Steam hardware stats most people have a 3060 or lower.

The loss would barely be seen.

Sony could gain from more excited enthusiast PC gamers since they talk a lot and stream and post screenshots, which could help sell games.

Right now every Sony exclusive comes with negativity from loud complaints about the exclusivity and PC delay plus port begging.

Being exclusive have your very own marketing advantages. I doubt sonys top sellers which sold around 20m will suddenly sell double the ammount.

But it doesn't matter if it will slowly kill the platform. Pc fanboys can stop arguing, Sony will do it anyway.

FunkMiller

Yes. I generally tend to have a gaming laptop more powerful than the latest consoles, so I would stop buying Playstations, if there weren't any exclusive games to play on them that I couldn't on PC.

Kinda fucking stupid to buy a console, if you can play everything on something else that goes under the TV just fine.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Being exclusive have your very own marketing advantages. I doubt sonys top sellers which sold around 20m will suddenly sell double the ammount.

But it doesn't matter if it will slowly kill the platform. Pc fanboys can stop arguing, Sony will do it anyway.
There are PS gamers who’re playing on PC too, that’s why Xbox was said to be irrelevant when MS started porting their games last gen, so there will be some overlapping.

But going by Helldivers 2 there should be no concern about day 1 releases, the game sold incredibly well on both platforms. Google says HD2 broke Ragnarök’s 12 week record and Ragnarök was on PS4+PS5.

That said, I absolutely understand why Sony do late releases, same as MS now on PS. They get bonus sales once they’ve stopped selling on their own platform. And they hope FOMO will sell some extra consoles.
But I just don’t think that last thing works. A PC gamer buying a console to play an exclusive is probably less likely than a PS gamer buying a Xbox to play Redfall. Almost all my friends play on PC, I’ve not once seen anyone buy a console for an exclusive.

Top Bottom