• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you want to see an updated Dualshock 4 with the PS4 Neo?

_woLf

It'd be fucking peachy if Sony made the analog sticks not deteriorate.

I'm still pissed about that. Both my launch controllers did it, I called Sony and their response was effectively to deal with it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
battery life could easily be doubled just by putting in a higher capacity battery. they don't really even need to tell anyone. it could be a stealth update. they are just being stingy on that front.

i'd also like them to change the sticks to be fully concave instead of this weird mixture. the grips are not good on these things.

It'd be fucking peachy if Sony made the analog sticks not deteriorate.

I'm still pissed about that. Both my launch controllers did it, I called Sony and their response was effectively to deal with it.

they sort of addressed this already. the newer harder material seems to be aging much better. although i actually don't like it as much. they feel more gritty against the thumb and i feel like i have less grip. something also changed in my second ds4 where both r3 and l3 are less "clicky" so it seems harder to sprint.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On a related note, it bums me out to see so many devs ignoring the touchpad. Far Cry Primal doesn't even let you use it for the weapon wheel like 4 did, and that's a major bummer since you can't assign weapons to the d-pad either.

I love the DS4 but I'd be down for improvement, sure!

Battery life would be great, vita d-pad too?
Vita d-pad is a great suggestion

LordofPwn

i'd just like to see them update the controller with a better battery life and better materials.
I would also like a pro controller.

Guess I'll say "me too" when it comes to battery life and just overall build quality/feel.

I was a little surprised how it felt when I first got my PS4. I was expecting it to feel more "substantial"/solid I guess?

I've gotten used to it now though, but I would welcome some improvement.

Aswitch

I personally favor the Xbox One Controller (especially for shooters and also factoring the superb battery life using the xbone battery packs) but I think if the PS4 managed to make an equivalent to the xbox one elite controller where you can possibly swap triggers and/or analog sticks to further customize the ergonomics of the controller to your liking would be fuckin sweet and if it had a battery life equivalent to the xbox one controller (about 25hrs) I would be totally satisfied with the PS4 controller.

shoreu

Asymmetrical sticks would be dope lol

Real suggestion
I never liked the battery inside I feel like it puts a life on the controllers

I have a launch system controller and a white DS4 that was received as a xmas gift in 2014. No issues with the sticks whatsoever. I'm not saying there isn't an issue with the thumbsticks, maybe people have acidic thumbs. A bigger batter is welcomed. The LED lightbar argument is valid for some people I guess. I don't have an issue with that either. My real wish is for full compatibility with PS3 since we don't have backwards compatibility on PS4 at this time.

Decider

More robust build quality. My DS4's d-pad died after around 100 hours of play on Fallout 4, where it was mainly used for weapon selection. Bit poor.

Yes, with a better battery life (use a 2000-mah battery inside instead of 1000-mah, for pete's sake), better analog sticks, & better build quality.

And get rid of that awful light bar.

Better build (although mine have never broken they don't feel solid) and better battery, so I don't have to keep putting 2000Ma ones in I bought from China. And firmware-wise I wish it would ignore tilt and trigger movement so only a press of a face button wakes it up.

hasn't the stick quality already improved since the launch model? my brother got a PS4 roughly a year after i did and the caps seem a lot more durable. both the caps on my sticks are tearing, the ones at launch were smooth and supple. the DS4 my brother has has stick caps that are textured and tougher.

Edit: nevermind that thing wore down like a motherfucker

DS4 needs a pretty big overhaul in my opinion. Between the battery life, sticky l & r 1, shallow face buttons, and bad sticks. They really could improve upon those things and then I might be happy. Dedicated mute and volume controls would be nice features as well.

ShutterMunster

The Xbox One Elite controller has swayed me from purchasing things on PS4. That controller is absurdly good. Sony doesn't need to make one, but I desperately wish they would. Controllers of this quality should be standard practice.

Elixist

i hate lights on electronics period, but for some reason i dont mind the ds4 one cuz it doesnt shoot u in the face with light.

as for an update, i'd like an asymetrical option, or the sticks a little wider apart, maybe shrink the dpad a bit and move left stick up and to the left a little bit. better top buttons, r1 and l1 are ok, the triggers are eh after awhile i'd like to see somethin better. trackpad is fine to me, i like it as a button its fun to press and on pc its nice for moving cursor. better battery for sure, or AA even better for me.

Justinh

Well, Hori makes a ps4 controller that mimics said layout :p It just has terrible L2/R2 buttons

Yeah, it's kinda cool and it's the main controller I use when I play PS4 over my red and 20th anniversary with Xbox One sticks, but it really feels cheapish and light.
The lack of rumble might turn people off, too.
Dedicated mute and volume controls would be nice features as well.

Yeah, I actually think all controllers should have these going forward, since they all seem to put the headset jack on the controller now.
It's probably the only good thing about that 150 dollar Razer controller, that it has basically that headset adapter built in with the physical controls for mute/volume.

SlickVic

I don't think this will happen, but only updated Dualshock I'd like to see is one that included a AA battery slot. I've never had the rechargeable battery on the DS3 and DS4 come anywhere close to the battery life I get with Eneloops on the 360 and Xbox One controllers.

MrBenchmark

Better stick material and concave not convex in any way. Better battery and much better L2 R2 tired of keeping spares on my Amazon quick list.

Snaggle

Banned
Please god yes. I've been in need of a new controller for ages (after smashing mine on the ground fighting Amelia - still works because I was able to snap it all together but the rubber is worn etc) but there is no way I'm spending money on the junk that is DS4.

Battery life for the love of god. I'm actually surprised to see they haven't updated the DS4 with a better battery already.

Its not going to happen but yes I would be happy with the same build quailty as a DS3.

Ive had 3 broken controllers now. One was bust out the box, the other 2 didnt last 12 months.

I refuse to buy another.

Battery Life, better charge cable quality, and thumb sticks similar to the xbone's controller.

Do that and I will have entered Nirvana.

Its not going to happen but yes I would be happy with the same build quailty as a DS3.

Ive had 3 broken controllers now. One was bust out the box, the other 2 didnt last 12 months.

I refuse to buy another.

I am actually on my 4th, I gave one away to a friend of mine since he was low on duckets and wanted a 2nd for his little girl.

I went through 2 because of Bloodborne platinum, then Chalice grinding for top end gems for fastest boss kills. God damn you, Bloodborne!

Duxxy3

Better battery life
Triggers badly need to be changed - the triggers are the same as DS3, but a different shape. Very far behind Microsoft, and even behind the Dreamcast
Analog shape needs to be changed - convex or concave, this middle ground is awful
Rip out the light
Make adjustments to share and options buttons - they are too much of a pain in the ass to get to right now

edit: Oh, and the dpad is crap. Put the vita dpad in there.

Henrar

Design is fine, but it would be great to make it from better quality materials. Also, would someone fix that goddamm battery life? Because it sucks big time compared to any other controller on the market. Even old DS3 with used batteries last me longer than this POS

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've asked this a couple times but is there anywhere you can get sticks that are textured like the XBO sticks but still have the same resistance and length as the DS4's?

SAMZ

All the usual stuff like better build quality and extended battery life.

I however would like to see a DS4 elite pad.

Top Bottom