• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW! EA Buys 20% of UbiSoft

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Deepthroat said:
This is so sad. I'll never buy a stinking EA game.

Good luck. Smaller publishers are going to EA now. Imagine my shock when I booted up Samurai Warriors and the EA logo appeared before the Koei one.

Solid

ManaByte said:
Good luck. Smaller publishers are going to EA now. Imagine my shock when I booted up Samurai Warriors and the EA logo appeared before the Koei one.
Haha yeah I know.. :|

I miss Criterion already.

etiolate

Banned
ManaByte said:

wtf? EA published that game? I don't recall seeing it on the box.

_Angelus_

Banned
If there ever were another crash then EA would be the first to feel it. The bigger they are-the harder they fall. They own so many development studios they'd downsize in a hurry.

Theyre living very dangerously,all this spending could hurt them if things slow down in the industry.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
etiolate said:
wtf? EA published that game? I don't recall seeing it on the box.

I think they just distributed it, but it was enough to slap their logo before the Koei one.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
CEO of EA

emperor.jpg

Lhadatt

impirius said:
I'd say that there's a better "good stuff" to "shovelware" ratio now than there was in the 8-bit days... maybe even in the 16-bit days. And look at the PS1; it was an astounding success, and I'd rather play with a yo-yo than slog through something from the bottom 75% of its library.
Yeah, but is the good stuff selling? No, it's not -- and that's the danger.

Gaming is cornering itself -- the industry has just a few points of failure in the form of mega franchises. Again, look at November: Halo 2 sold tons of copies due to hype, yet turned out extremely generic (sorry, I don't care for it, and I'm not alone); and yeah, GTASA is probably a great game (haven't played it), no problem there with this incarnation of the series; MGS3? Meh, it's bombed. It might be a sleeper hit pretty soon, but no one bothered to hype it enough to get around H2 and GTA.

So, what happens if the next GTA bombs? There go Take Two and Rockstar -- two instant fatalities. Now suppose that there might be many good games released -- which of those would have significant mindshare with the public to get them to buy it? What if there isn't another big title that year to take up the slack? Retailers lose, which leads to less orders for everything -- they still have to find a way to recoup their losses and dump all of that excess GTA inventory. The original titles don't sell because no one knows about them, which leads to further discouragement of original concepts in the next dev cycle. The publishers only want to pay for something that they know will sell, so we get more generic stuff that probably won't, since the public does eventually get tired of generic crap.

Call me crazy if you want, but is a scenario like this so hard to imagine? I don't think it will happen for a while -- past the middle of next gen at the earliest. I don't see how we can avoid it if we keep going down this path, though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well, that whole "video game" thing was pretty fun while it lasted.

Time to go learn how to play Bridge.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
michael000 said:
another shrewd move by EA, it's only 20% though.
20% gives them the biggest share of the company. Even the Guillemot brothers who created Ubi only have 15%.
EA now has a seat at the "conseil d'administration" with veto power, which gives them about as much power on Ubi as if they actually owned the whole company.

Amir0x

Banned
Lhadatt said:
Again, look at November: Halo 2 sold tons of copies due to hype, yet turned out extremely generic (sorry, I don't care for it, and I'm not alone).

You ain't going to win any votes by saying Halo 2 was "extremely generic" and that you're "not alone."

Koshiro said:
You think that's the end of that?

Nope, but i'm also not overly concerned about it either though. Empires are empires they come and go and life continues heh. My money is still my money and i'll spend it on what i want; if EA is part of a good game i'll buy it, if it's bad i won't lol.

Blimblim said:
20% gives them the biggest share of the company. Even the Guillemot brothers who created Ubi only have 15%.
EA now has a seat at the "conseil d'administration" with veto power, which gives them about as much power on Ubi as if they actually owned the whole company.

I'm well aware of how stocks work. If in fact 19.9% gives them a majority share then it's an even smarter move by EA heh. Control of another company without sinking a ton of money.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Reality check:
This doesn't matter.
You will never see a difference.
It's not as though Ubi is the bastion of credible game releases.
EA, arguably, has more decent offerings.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
michael000 said:
I'm well aware of how stocks work. If in fact 19.9% gives them a majority share then it's an even smarter move by EA heh. Control of another company without sinking a ton of money.
Ubi shares until now :
Endemol : 19.9% -> now EA
Guillemot brothers : 15%
Caisse des dépôts et consignations : 6%
Everything else is < 5%

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Blimblim said:
Ubi shares until now :
Endemol : 19.9% -> now EA
Guillemot brothers : 15%
Caisse des dépôts et consignations : 6%
Everything else is < 5%

You got a link for this mate?
:)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Folder said:
Reality check:
This doesn't matter.
You will never see a difference.
It's not as though Ubi is the bastion of credible game releases.
EA, arguably, has more decent offerings.
I couldn't agree less. I'm not a big fan of Ubi (especially how they treat the sites here in France) but until now Ubi's big releases have been much better than EA's.
But I also think they were already going the EA way, with this awful (imho of course) POPWW , and a quite bad looking Rainbow Six 4 in the works. But they still have some BIG games coming like SCCT who looks to be a much better game than anything I see listed in EA's planning.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Folder said:
You got a link for this mate?
:)
This one is outdated, but it's the only thing I have from an official source :
http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/InvestorCenter/shareholders
Edit : more complete breakdown (still not up to date since Talpa Beheer sold 19.9% of the shares to EA) :
Guillemot 16.4 %
Talpa Beheer 10.5 %
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations 5.77 %
Crédit Lyonnais 5.42 %
Société Générale Asset Management 4.64 %
Oppenheimer Funds 2.49 %
CIC Gestion 2.05 %
Crédit Agricole 1.74 %
Etoile Gestion 1.65 %
Company-owned shares 0.23 %
Crédit Agricole Indosuez Cheuvreux 0.17 %

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Blimblim said:
This one is outdated, but it's the only thing I have from an official source :
http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/InvestorCenter/shareholders
Edit : more complete breakdown
Cheers mate.
This is simply to get EA games on French shelves.
Ubi Soft is a powerful brand in France and a household name. It’s sales staff run riot with French retail, seeing massive shelf space allocations – the kind of allocation usually reserved for Electronic Arts.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Folder said:
Cheers mate.
Ubi Soft is a powerful brand in France and a household name. It’s sales staff run riot with French retail, seeing massive shelf space allocations – the kind of allocation usually reserved for Electronic Arts.
EA gets as much if not more shelf space as Ubisoft in the gaming shops I go to here in France. It's sad but EA is as much important in France as in the rest of the world.
And France is not a big enough market to justify such a big investment for shelf space anyway.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Folder said:
Cheers mate.

Oh okay. So this is it right? EA's not buying up any more shit now that they have the whole French shelf space problem all sorted out then.... whew. Good to know.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Blimblim said:
EA gets as much if not more shelf space as Ubisoft in the gaming shops I go to here in France. It's sad but EA is as much important in France as in the rest of the world.
And France is not a big enough market to justify such a big investment for shelf space anyway.
I always noticed (experience in hypermarches usually) that Ubi/Vivendi/Wannadoo got a shitload more exposure in France than anywhere else. I was chatting to one of the sales guys at Konami Europe and he said that the French publishers' sales teams have it well sewn up in France. Is this not the case or are hypermarches not representative of the market in general?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Folder said:
I always noticed (experience in hypermarches usually) that Ubi/Vivendi/Wannadoo got a shitload more exposure in France than anywhere else. I was chatting to one of the sales guys at Konami Europe and he said that the French publishers' sales teams have it well sewn up in France. Is this not the case or are hypermarches not representative of the market in general?
I don't usually go to the videogames section of our "hypermarchés", just to the food stuff ;) When I go to micromania (our local ebgames) I almost always see either a Sony or EA games being heavily promoted. I have some very nice quotes from MS people about when they first met the Micromania people about Xbox, fun stuff :)

Notorious

Coen said:
Damn, the owner was a Dutchmen, just like me. I feel ashamed. :(

Dear John, why did you have to sell it to EA! You don't need the money, couldn't you have consulted with me about this first?

He needs the money to pay for the soccer rights.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Excellent news! :D :D :D

Better EA than Microsoft or someone like that. At least this will ensure their games are still multi-platform.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
:lol I love it...

EMPEROR.JPG

Let your hate... WELL!

You know I was just thinking... EA is replicating itself all over the industry, growing, absorbing..... and I finally realized the connection.

EA =
story.smith.jpg

Think that is why you see Take-Two trying to buy things like crazy at this time. They know they have a one trick pony and when GTA has to go to the glue factory, they want to have back-ups. Or atleast try to have back-ups.

the only sure thing in this industry is that Nintendo will always be doomed.

I don't really think this is bad news. They know how strong Ubi is, and how much stronger it can get.. investing is really gonna help them acheive that. If Ubi can someday be considered a part of EA too, then EA has that much more quality under its belt. Everybody wins...

I'd much rather this than anyone else taking them over being that the people who could afford it would probably make them console exclusive.

Top Bottom