• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ/NBC Poll Shows Trump Approval Rating RISING After MSM/Democrat Meltdown With Russia

xStoyax

Banned
Despite Democrats & the MSM declaring this last week the end of the world, a new WSJ/NBC Poll shows that Trumps Approval Ratings are at the highest ever recorded for his presidency.
Source: Wall Street Journal

appaws

Banned
They actually undercut all their own credibility by reacting the way they do to every little thing. So the general public just tunes it out. It works both ways, it hurt the GOP back during the Clinton administration.

"Two out of three voters in Republican-controlled House districts viewed Democrats as out of the mainstream in their approach to issues, while voters in Democratic-controlled districts said the same about Republicans by a similar margin, the survey found. " =s

Last edited:

Christopher

Yeah I’m fucking done with the over the top rhetoric...CNN and MSNBC are fucking embarrassing with thier over the top nonsense.

Strange how the media never went after Bush for skipping through the tulips with the Saudis and having secret meetings with them right after 9/11, but went bonkers over Trump having a public meeting with a world leader most US leaders have met with.

:unsure:

Arkage

Banned
What the WSJ actually said:

In the latest WSJ/NBC News poll, the president’s job approval rose to 45% but remains among the lowest of any modern president at this point his first term

The aggregate hasn't budged much at all. Individual polls don't tell you much, and typically take a week or so to reflect political events.

f1g6a2S.png

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Last edited:

dolabla

When you've cried wolf when it comes to every single thing he does, eventually people stop buying the bullshit. 90+% negative media coverage against him.

Last edited:
He is down on his handling With Russia and up on the economy. Democrats(at 80%) and Independents(at 46%) strongly disprove it while Republicans(at 64%) approved it.

Gander

Banned
I personally don't believe that there was no impact on the election. What I do believe is there are more people evolved with this than just Russia and Trump and they are covering their asses.

Russia went through all this to have minimal or zero impact? GTFO

cryptoadam

Banned
Strange how the media never went after Bush for skipping through the tulips with the Saudis and having secret meetings with them right after 9/11, but went bonkers over Trump having a public meeting with a world leader most US leaders have met with.

:unsure:

Bush almost had an entire movie made by Micheal Moore about him and his connections to the Saudi's. I actually think Bush was more hated than Trump. I made a thread about it. The backlash against Bush was immense. I mean the entire Star Wars prequels are an allegory for the Bush presidency and the patriot act! George Lucas made the emperor George Bush LOL.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This isn't surprising. A large portion of Trumps base only watch unreliable news sources like Fox News and get their headlines from people like Hannity, Carlson and Alex Jones. All of those sources portrayed the disaster like a victory. They are under the delusion that it went great so it makes sense that he would see a surge in approval among his base.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
This isn't surprising. A large portion of Trumps base only watch unreliable news sources like Fox News and get their headlines from people like Hannity, Carlson and Alex Jones. All of those sources portrayed the disaster like a victory. They are under the delusion that it went great so it makes sense that he would see a surge in approval among his base.

I’m on a iPhone while reading this, so my screen isn’t big enough for your projection here.

Whoops...somebody doesn’t understand that 28.6% is pretty close to 1 out of 3.

538's models and corresponding analysis attempted to give off a particular impression that Pres. Trump was going to fail in his bid for the White House. They eroded people's trust in poll analysis and misused statistics.

According to Nassim Taleb, the more plausible probability was likely a 50/50 event. Anything else was too stochastic to be meaningful.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nass...election-win-was-no-black-swan-191857463.html

The US govt should ban people from profiting off this sort of poll sophistry. Do it for free as a public service if you're trying to educate and get attention.

Last edited:

gohepcat

Banned
538's models and corresponding analysis attempted to give off a particular impression that Pres. Trump was going to fail in his bid for the White House. They eroded people's trust in poll analysis and misused statistics.
The fuck...???

Yeah… They thought he had a one in three chance of winning the White House. I don’t even understand what you’re trying to say here. Are you saying that they actually thought he would win and purposely mislead the public for some insane reason?

Most of us thought that the obvious moron that sold steaks on infomercials was not going to win the presidency.

The US govt should ban people from profiting off this sort of poll sophistry. Do it for free as a public service if you're trying to educate and get attention.

Yes....gov sanctioned polls only.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Wait are people praising Turamp over him pussy'n out?

The aggregate hasn't budged much at all. Individual polls don't tell you much, and typically take a week or so to reflect political events.

f1g6a2S.png

Hmm aren't some people too afraid to admit they support Trump with all the liberal media constant attacks ? There's probably not so small amount of people who silently are ok with a lot of what is done but they are afraid to admit it.

Think about old gaf climate and trying to say anything remotely conservative.

Last edited:

Panda1

Banned
"Trump should have insulted the leader of the second largest nuclear power to his face on live television! The fact that he was diplomatic is treason! !"

"OMG HOW CAN TRUMP THREATEN THE LEADER OF IRAN!? THE UNHINGED MANIAC IS GOING TO START WW3!

The fuck...???

Yeah… They thought he had a one in three chance of winning the White House. I don’t even understand what you’re trying to say here. Are you saying that they actually thought he would win and purposely mislead the public for some insane reason?

Most of us thought that the obvious moron that sold steaks on infomercials was not going to win the presidency.

No.

I'm simply saying the 71% vs. 28% probability linked and associated punditry was BS passed off as rigorous analysis. The entire charade throughout the presidential election mislead much of the public into thinking Trump's campaign was highly likely to fail rather than succeed from the primaries onwards.

Yes....gov sanctioned polls only.

All I'm asking is that people exploit the ignorant for free. If you came up with a model...or you want to provide public interpretations of the polls, then you should educate the public free of charge. You shouldn't have the incentive to fish for clicks or money pretending like you know something other people don't.

It leads to abuse and misuse of statistics. Erosion of trust in so called experts. People are more or less making a living off the dissemination of useless information. It's a shame and morally wrong.

You don't need govt sanctioned polls. You just don't want the blind profiting off of leading the blind. Keep useless noise out of the public sphere.

Last edited:

Harksteed

Banned
Also a reminder that a lot of the meme pictures of 'the media thought that Hillary was gonna win a 10000%' were made before the Comey's announcement right before the election could show any effect. Also a reminder that even the Trump campaign didnt expect to win. Also a reminder that the polls were actually pretty accurate, but news sites often suck at interpretating them.

Also this thread reeks of desperation honestly. Look guys this poll says trump is at a shitty approval rating since about forever, suck it MSM!

Panda1

Banned
Also a reminder that a lot of the meme pictures of 'the media thought that Hillary was gonna win a 10000%' were made before the Comey's announcement right before the election could show any effect. Also a reminder that even the Trump campaign didnt expect to win. Also a reminder that the polls were actually pretty accurate, but news sites often suck at interpretating them.

Also this thread reeks of desperation honestly. Look guys this poll says trump is at a shitty approval rating since about forever, suck it MSM!

why a random reminder pushing the thread off topic? You are projecting your hurt of the facts that have led to the result of th poll. Thats for you to handle and understand , not anyone so far acting desperate! Trump won with a dirt poor likeability rating, and yet he is above that now. If Trump did not expect to win as you claim, he has 2020 locked the fuck down now.

Mahadev

Dude, you are simply wrong. I remember Buzzfeed News a day before the elections having Hillary at 98-99% chances of winning and Nate Silver being attacked as aiding Trump lies because he predicted 81%... of Hillary winning. Nate Silver was actually the only exception.

Polls are often used to influence public opinion, I've noticed this in every country where the ruling class doesn't like the candidate or a referendum option, the polls are always "miscalculated" against them. The same happened during the Brexit, the same happened in Spain iirc, the same happens everywhere.

For the record I don't care about Trump's numbers or tbh the discussion here, I'm mentioning this because I'm interested in obvious propaganda tactics by corporations and their owners to influence public opinion. Polls can be manipulated extremely easily either by fudging statistics through creative math or just using the right kind of word or phrase in a poll question. Do not trust polls, corporations are not your friends and just like they do with corporate media they will use every chance they get to manipulate you.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Yes close to 4 out of 10 people in America is. But they are more pleased with the economy, than they are upset about the Russia stuff. That's a better way to understand it.

Arkage

Banned
No.

I'm simply saying the 71% vs. 28% probability linked and associated punditry was BS passed off as rigorous analysis. The entire charade throughout the presidential election mislead much of the public into thinking Trump's campaign was highly likely to fail rather than succeed from the primaries onwards.

Prove to me that it was based off punditry instead of rigorous analysis of polling data. Please have a debate with Nate Silver, so we can then all acknowledge that you actually know literally nothing about how poll aggregating works. The fact is that the Trump team itself thought it was going to lose on election night due to what internal polls were showing, which is why Trump started leaking plans for creating a Trump media corporation. 538 gave him the best odds before the vote, and 1 out of 3 was the most accurate analysis when your opponent is going to win the popular vote by 3 million people, yet you barely squeak out a win by 10-30k margins in various swing states.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

You won't win on negativity alone. Democracts are in hysteria mode, same with their press. They've lost ability to reach people who aren't already convinced and they don't have anything to offer that would distinguish them from Trump. Heck, a lot of anti-Trump people seem to absolutely loathe people who voted him in, so how the hell do they expect to convince them to change their minds and vote for democrats?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Trump's favourite pollster (Rasmussen) has him at a low point (44%).

He's going to be a lame duck very soon.
My hot take on Trump approval ratings is as follows : the aggregate approval for Trump was in the mid-high 30s on election day. That was enough to get him elected. That's where the normalization point is. Anything higher than that, and he's improved. Ceteris paribus that is.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
It's polls like this that really illustrate how TDS is effecting Republicans.

The Helsinki summit was an unmitigated disaster, yet support among Republicans soared. This moron now has better approval numbers than any President in decades (discluding Bush's post 9/11 bump) among Republican voters.
The news from last week was as bad as it could get. He looked weak, he was proven a liar on multiple occasions, and there wasn't a single redeemable aspect to it.
I've disliked Trump since well before the Presidency, but until last week, I never believed he colluded directly, or even knew about a deal. He gave me, and many other sane Americans a reason to doubt that.
To come out of that summit with a better impression of the guy, and not be a Russian citizen? It's tragic, and it really should be classified as a disease, so these poor people can get help (Thank God they still have Obama care).

Last edited:

oagboghi2

f1g6a2S.png

Which is irrelevant, as trump isn't running against presidents from 20 years ago. He is growing support in a polarized climate, at a time when his opponents only argument for support is the president is out of touch with everyone

I personally don't believe that there was no impact on the election. What I do believe is there are more people evolved with this than just Russia and Trump and they are covering their asses.

Russia went through all this to have minimal or zero impact? GTFO
Of course, because you would rather live in conspiracy theories than face reality

Arkage

Banned
Which is irrelevant, as trump isn't running against presidents from 20 years ago. He is growing support in a polarized climate, at a time when his opponents only argument for support is the president is out of touch with everyone

His aggregate has nothing to do with Presidents from 20 years ago. The OP claimed "Trumps Approval Ratings are the highest ever recorded in his Presidency." This is false, as his approval ratings were highest when he first took office, average a 45.5% approval rating, which is nearly four points higher than where it sits at now. His polling upturn loosely began mid-December 2017 during his low point of 36.7% and continued up to May, which had him at a 42% approval rating. Since then it has essentially been a flat line. There is no polling narrative you can spin about "growing" support. Support remains at the level it was in May.

oagboghi2

His aggregate has nothing to do with Presidents from 20 years ago. The OP claimed "Trumps Approval Ratings are the highest ever recorded in his Presidency." This is false, as his approval ratings were highest when he first took office, average a 45.5% approval rating, which is nearly four points higher than where it sits at now. His polling upturn loosely began mid-December 2017 during his low point of 36.7% and continued up to May, which had him at a 42% approval rating. Since then it has essentially been a flat line. There is no polling narrative you can spin about "growing" support. Support remains at the level it was in May.
This runs counter to the democrats claim in the past year that his base of support has fractured, , he will plummet in the polls, blah blah blah etc etc. He was sub 40 when he was elected, and it has risen since then.

As I said, the political climate is polarized. He can't make inroads with democrats, but he doesn't need to. he can enact his agenda and win relection even with a sub 50 approal rating, hence why I find your argument disingenious. His ceiling has risen, not fallen as democrats have predicted would happen for the past 12 months.

Gander

Banned
Is racism greater than patriotism?

As expected Obama was embattled President because most people in red states were never going to accept he was one of them or believe worthy of the office.

Now enters Trumps into office with no race factor. He has practically handed the USA over to Russia and not a peep out these people. If anything they are still for Trump.

These red blooded, red meat eating, proud Americans should be ready to burn to capital down but they are not even mad.

Gander

Banned

Of course, because you would rather live in conspiracy theories than face reality
When our President is too scared to even raise his voice against the President of a rival country its easy to believe the worst.

oagboghi2

When our President is too scared to even raise his voice against the President of a rival country its easy to believe the worst.
"When our president is working to improve diplomatic relations with the 2nd largest holder of nuclear weapons on earth"

Not all of us want to cheerlead more war Gander

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
He was sub 40 when he was elected, and it has risen since then.

He was at 45.5% when elected and is currently at 41.8%. His disapproval rating climbed from 41.3% to it's current 52.9%. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

"When our president is working to improve diplomatic relations with the 2nd largest holder of nuclear weapons on earth"

Not all of us want to cheerlead more war Gander

He certainly hasn't hesitated to "get tough" with Iran and NK though.

Last edited by a moderator:

oagboghi2

He was at 45.5% when elected and is currently at 41.8%. His disapproval rating climbed from 41.3% to it's current 52.9%. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

He certainly hasn't hesitated to "get tough" with Iran and NK though.
He was at 38% on election night.

Top Bottom