• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo to Launch Two New Switch Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakhil

The power gap between the current Nintendo Switch model and the "Nintendo Switch Pro" being comparable to the power gap between the original Nintendo 3DS model and the new Nintendo 3DS model sounds about right to me. I expect the "Nintendo Switch Pro" to have considerable improvements over the current Nintendo Switch model, but nothing overly drastic.

And whilst a 1080p screen would be nice, I don't see any advantages of having a 1080p screen over a 720p screen, considering you're pushing 2.25x more pixels when going from 720p to 1080p, which I think would result in the same battery life as the current Nintendo Switch model (around 3-3.5 hours) in the best case scenario, or a lower battery life in the worst case scenario. But then again, I have no idea how power-efficient the Tegra X2 is compared to the Tegra X1.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I expect base xbox one levels honestly. Switch pro only needs 6gb ram to be on par with it and ps4 in that regard since switch doesn't even use 1gb for OS. 50gb/s bandwidth with Pascal memory compression (assuming Pascal wouldn't hinder compatibility) would be at least as good as Xb1 I feel. Cpu/gpu are low bars as well

I also think next gen really doesn't make much difference in the market since switch is in a different one.

Well the WSJ article was worded very specifically IMO. It said "not as powerful as a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X". That is a big indication that way may be seeing
a substantial power bump for the Switch Pro to at *LEAST* base PS4/Xbox One performance here. I don't think that's out of the question at all.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Does anyone think we should have dedicated threads based on the "Switch Pro" and "Switch Mini"?
Or do we keep that discussion in here? Thanks!

So, what does everyone think? E3 reveal this year? Or will it be a direct? In terms of the Switch Pro, what game(s) do you think
Nintendo will show off on the system? My guess will be Doom Eternal and Mortal Kombat 11 since we know both are coming
to Switch. What better way to show off those games than a better "spec" Switch Pro model? I also think we'll get a "re-visit"
of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on it showing off 1080p/60fps gameplay. Cheers!

Iced Arcade

So another mid gen refresh.

Kind of off topic but... anyone think these mind gen refresh consoles are going to hurt the big 3 next gen? Why jump in at launch when a bigger better version is without a doubt coming later on.

Don't know if the Switch Pro being just a bit better is the right thing or not.

I wouldn't like to have a big power diference between models since that could give rise to "Pro" only games, or to devalue the current model.

I think a major step in performance would be much more adequate for a "Switch 2" model sometime in 2021 or 2022.

The "Pro" version would be just 33% to 66% faster, which would bring the current games with dynamic resolution adaptations to work smoother, like Doom, xenoblade chronicles 2 and such.

Maybe it could have integrated bluetooth - pleaaase - for headsets.

Sometype of wireless streaming to a tv would also be interesting but not likely.

Still think that the Pro version won't be a big jump, just somewhat better performance, bigger screen - less bezels - bigger battery and not much else.

Leave the big guns for the Switch 2!!!

MarionCanavan

Neo Member
Honestly, It’s way too soon for another Switch console. I’m good with the one I got, that thing was $300.00 not including games, pro controller and extra joycons. If these rumors are true, who they targeting? There’s way too many bad shovel ware games on the switch to make me go out an buy another one.. now if the Switch was my favorite console than maybe, but no. And plus we jus starting to get decent games on the Switch.. like can I get some brand games before a new console. Happy wheel unblocked on 88kgames is my main game. I had relaxing time here

mcjmetroid

Eurogamer's record hasnt been the best when it comes to Nintendo. Star Fox Grand prix, Pokemon Stars, XBL on switch etc . If they were the only source on this rumor, i wouldnt have believed it.

Weren't they technically right about Xbox live on Switch though?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm not asking Nintendo for a Xbox One X in handheld form or in docked tv mode.

I wouldn't mind a Switch Pro that comes *close* to base model Xbox One/PS4 systems though in docked mode.
I'm pulling that they put a modified Tegra X2 as the SOC in the Switch Pro. For sure it'd give us twice the power/performance
of the base model Switch right now.

Hoping Digital Foundry does another video on what a Switch Pro might consist of based on the recent "rumors/leaks/whispers".
This one they did was great: Digital Foundry: Can a Switch revision extend its lifespan?

Somebody out there *HAS* to know what kind of performance the Switch Pro is putting out right now.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

I'm not asking Nintendo for a Xbox One X in handheld form or in docked tv mode.

I wouldn't mind a Switch Pro that comes *close* to base model Xbox One/PS4 systems though in docked mode.
I'm pulling that they put a modified Tegra X2 as the SOC in the Switch Pro. For sure it'd give us twice the power/performance
of the base model Switch right now.

Hoping Digital Foundry does another video on what a Switch Pro might consist of based on the recent "rumors/leaks/whispers".
This one they did was great: Digital Foundry: Can a Switch revision extend its lifespan?

Somebody out there *HAS* to know what kind of performance the Switch Pro is putting out right now.

Keep your feet on the ground.

There will be little to no power increase and the power increase would only be there to smooth out rough edges like loading times or dock performance of current games or help with a new feature like BT audio or increased screen resolution.

Sparda

Banned
Honestly, It’s way too soon for another Switch console. I’m good with the one I got, that thing was $300.00 not including games, pro controller and extra joycons. If these rumors are true, who they targeting? There’s way too many bad shovel ware games on the switch to make me go out an buy another one.. now if the Switch was my favorite console than maybe, but no. And plus we jus starting to get decent games on the Switch.. like can I get some brand games before a new console. Happy wheel unblocked on 88kgames is my main game. I had relaxing time here
Who cares, switch owners buy everything. they are like Apple users. Infact no one complain porting or no backwards compatibility to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Fake

Who cares, switch owners buy everything. they are like Apple users. Infact no one complain porting or no backwards compatibility to Nintendo.
Indeed. Port beg, half ass remaster, bad port, bad fps... They don't complain much.

mcjmetroid

Indeed. Port beg, half ass remaster, bad port, bad fps... They don't complain much.
Oh we do complain a lot but it's hard to get heard when fans still buy full priced ports of 6 year old games without any additional content but that's another story.

Yagami_Sama

The design of the this cheaper version, possible handheld only is something I curious to see. If they will keep the same aesthetic or it will be something horrible like the 2DS.

The "premium" version, I always thought that would be an add-on, like a dock which could provide more computing power GPU , memory and storage. And also curious to see how it will look. And if another "SKU" will not harm software development, because it will be another version to test, like 3 different configurations will need to be made : Handheld, Base and Pro. And this more powerful approach could be risky, because the price will play a very important whole, because it the price is too high, the interested for it could be lower.

The timing of announcing and releasing it will also be important. Or else it might offend who already have the console. Releasing the Handheld or cheaper model along with the new Pokemon game, could be a very good timing and bring a lot of new players to the platform.

Pejo

This is super great for me if true. I'll buy the powerful one to use going forward and then open my launch model into homebrew/emulation.

pimentel1

Banned
I’m down for a pro. I hope they allow you to have your account accessible on both machines, new and old, at the same time so I can do the Super Mario Party screen combine minigames without having to purchase Super Mario Party on a second Switch. That and my wife and I could play games in handheld mode without repurchasing the games again. I doubt it will happen, but here’s hoping.

kunonabi

Hopefully they're targeting me who thinks the current form factor, portability, and QC elements are bloody awful.

Well the WSJ article was worded very specifically IMO. It said "not as powerful as a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X". That is a big indication that way may be seeing
a substantial power bump for the Switch Pro to at *LEAST* base PS4/Xbox One performance here. I don't think that's out of the question at all.
Yeah but I wonder about the wsj's technical inclination. They may just be referencing the pro and x simply because they're the latest gadgets.

Also keep in mind to even have a chance of matching ps4 or even a little faster nintendo needs 7nm, and probably either tegra Xavier or a heavily modified tx1/2. Nintendo rarely uses the latest fab process so I would keep expectations lower.

Of course there's always the chance they put some chips in the new dock for extra power, judging by their patents.

Last edited:
I just had a quick check for spec increase between DS->DSi and 3DS->N3DS. Both had decent increase in CPU power and RAM (DS to DSi had 4 times increase in RAM!)

So a Switch Go and a Switch Pro?

The first will be a compact version of the Switch with undetachable controllers, while the other will be an upgraded Switch, hopefully that isn't any larger than the original in fact probably the same height for Joycon compatibility and maybe a larger screen?

Or will Nintendo go as far as selling the Switch Go as a dockable portable that needs additional joycon and the Switch Pro as a living room console with not portability? Make your bets.

I found something interesting

They have 5" and 7" Nintendo Switch variants listed as coming on 11th June for 179 and 399$

https://tabletmonkeys.com/new-tablets/

On one hand it might be pulled out of the rear part but most other listing seem to be fairly accurate.

I guess we will see around E3 time if this is real or not. But if switch mini is really below 200$ then Nintendo is going to sell tons of them for Pokemon players.

Last edited:

They have 5" and 7" Nintendo Switch variants listed as coming on 11th June for 179 and 399$

On one hand it might be pulled out of the rear part but most other listing seem to be fairly accurate.

I guess we will see around E3 time if this is real or not. But if switch mini is really below 200$ then Nintendo is going to sell tons of them for Pokemon players.
I hope the "Switch Pro" isn't just a larger screen with the same hardware. I'm not even asking for it to be that much more powerful, just powerful enough that it improves framerate.

Fake

I hope the "Switch Pro" isn't just a larger screen with the same hardware. I'm not even asking for it to be that much more powerful, just powerful enough that it improves framerate.
Very unlike. 720p is the way to go. If with the 'pro' they want gamers to embrace probably is for better dock experience. Thats why they're creating the mini, for those who prefer the '3DS' experience. Thats my guess.
Besides, PS5/XBOXnext are coming, not necessary 'release', but is close to be talked, so Nintendo is taking some steps for not being so 'behind' in terms of 3rd AAA ports.
Oh, and HDR+VR is my second guess they want to promove.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member

Hmm. Interesting. Those screen sizes are pretty much what I figured a Mini and Pro would be. The "Pro" version I think we'll see a 1080p screen and better performance.
The "Mini" I think we'll see a "one piece" Switch. No removable parts(especially if aimed at children) and no HD rumble or regular rumble needed ala the 3ds/2ds not having it either.

Prices are pretty much spot on as well. Sure, could be the retailer took "educated guesses" but a lot of times, these folks need advance info. I guess we'll see in a few months.

I think the new models will go live at E3 or shortly afterwards.

TLZ

Banned

The site also has this:

"Color codes:
Black text/link: Unconfirmed, rumored, anticipated, expected, leaked tablets.
Blue text/links: Confirmed forthcoming tablets."

And Nintendo is in blue.

Hopefully it really is true.

That might actually be a great strategy. Great hardware for people that want it, and a cheap device for kids.

Not sure if the missing 299 price bracket would be all that bad, but this is definitely interesting to think about.

Fake

Mini NS only full mobile and NSpro or will be full docked or mix mobile/dock just like the standart NS, but gonna give a guess the NSpro will take appounch as a convercional console just like ps4/xboxone.

Eurogamer's record hasnt been the best when it comes to Nintendo. Star Fox Grand prix, Pokemon Stars, XBL on switch etc . If they were the only source on this rumor, i wouldnt have believed it.
Also recently, GameCube games on Switch. But then, maybe Nintendo had a change of plans. Who knows.

Also, I wonder if the pro version will use the same current dock, or maybe a smaller dock thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom