• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ reporter : Standard capacity of Switch game card is around 16GB

Nibel

1) A single-layer BD is ~25GB
2) Standard != maximum
3) I think this guy's trackrecord is not the best, especially when it comes to rumors

onQ123

This is good & if the transfer speeds are way above Blu-ray it gives me hope for the future if the prices isn't too high.

Justified

1) A single-layer BD is ~25GB
2) Standard != maximum
3) I think this guy's trackrecord is not the best, especially when it comes to rumors

Yea but whats the max?

If the 100 (128) GB rumor is true the spells trouble for 3rd party games

Anteo

Hmmmm I wonder if that makes larger games more expensive.... can see Mass Effect Andromeda being $75 or something to that effect...

I remember capcom wanting to charge more for REvelations because it used a 4gb card, the biggest at that time. I dont remember if they did it

Yea but whats the max?

If the 100 (128) GB rumor is true the spells trouble for 3rd party games

But that was for the sdcard used as ikternal memory wasnt it?

Really solid size, huge jump over the 3DS and I'm sure it comes in more varients.

People also need to remember a lot of what makes PS4/Xbox One games so large is uncompressed audio, big games can still come to the Switch.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I can tell this thread is going to be another trainwreck with people not understanding what "standard" means...

Hmmmm I wonder if that makes larger games more expensive.... can see Mass Effect Andromeda being $75 or something to that effect...

Well, it doesn't currently work that way with 3DS games, so probably not.

I can tell this thread is going to be another trainwreck with people not understanding what "standard" means...

It's already begun. Confirmation bias and willful ignorance at work. I always get a good chuckle out of it.

Its not competing with Xbox One or PS4 so who cares? Let's face it third parties are going to do ports, maybe, and Nintendo can sure make use of that much space- I'm assuming also that some info will be downloaded to an SD card, so maybe half and half

LordKano

What's cool with this kind of thread is that you can quickly see who's not reading anything before posting.

It's not the MAXIMUM size, just like you can put multiples blu-ray in a disc for bigger games, you can use cartridges with more size for the bigger games. 3DS used that. DS used that. N64 used that. It's nothing new for Nintendo.

And this doesn't mean anything for the third party.

NSESN

3DS cards can range from 128 MB to 8 GB.

EDIT: Or maybe it was 1 GB minimum, I don't quite remember. But definitely 8 GB max.

Weren't 3DS carts like somewhere between 4 and 8GB?

I do not but I think the biggest card is the ultra-rare Fire Emblem Fates SE card (which may or may not be the same size as Xenoblade?). What is it, 8GB?

They range from 128 Megabytes to 8 Gigabytes. The original maximum was 2 Gigabytes.
So, if Nintendo have around the same range, i think Switch will be fine

nubbe

Seem good enough for a handheld device.
Textures and audio is what takes the most space.

Most Nintendo games clock around 8 gig on Wii U I think

Guymelef

Seem good enough for a handheld device.
Textures and audio is what takes the most space.

Most Nintendo games clock around 8 gig on Wii U I think

I feel like we are hearing lot of "it's enough for a handheld" excuses lately...
The thing is, Switch isn't only a handheld...

I confess I don't know what 'standard' means in this context. Is it the outright smallest size of cart Nintendo will make available, or is it the size of the cart that hits the sweet spot between capacity and price?

Good enough for something that can be taken on the go.

Nintendo's games are usually incredibly optimized and small, so it will not impact them.

Developers will just have to learn to be mindful of compressing assets again. If Nintendo is able to deliver something the scope of BOTW on this size, then there is no excuse for any 3rd party to be limited.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Only games I could find that are more than 16GB, I still think they need to start with 32GB with a read/write partition.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is 20GB Plus

Lego City Undercover 21GB

Assassin Creed 3 17GB

Arkham City 19GB

I'll be really happy when all of the following questions are answered:

- Will I be able to use most "retail"-type games on game cards without having to download and install a bunch of data?
- What happens when I purchase a game, at retail or digitally, that I want to play online with another family member? Will I need to buy a second copy of the game?
- How much internal storage will the system have?
- How much space will most games take up when downloaded/installed?

These questions are all super inter-related and it sucks having to guess at what the answers might be.
I will now make an educated guess:
1) No. Day 1 patches will be common.
2) Yes, unless it's splitscreen on the same device.
3) 32Gb is the rumour, although it will also support MicroSDs. No external hard drives, however.
4) As much as the developer wants. Expect most download versions of retail games to be well north of 10Gb, and assume any physical game will need more than a gig of patches.

I confess I don't know what 'standard' means in this context. Is it the outright smallest size of cart Nintendo will make available, or is it the size of the cart that hits the sweet spot between capacity and price?

It could be either. Regardless, it won't be the maximum cart size based on every other Nintendo device that used cards or cartridges. In fact, it probably won't even be close to the max size.

notaskwid

Looking at the leaked specs and the console form factor, I doubt we'll get games much larger that that. Even more when the console's memory seems to be tied SD cards.
Vita games only go up to 4gigas or something like that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'll be really happy when all of the following questions are answered:

- Will I be able to use most "retail"-type games on game cards without having to download and install a bunch of data?
- What happens when I purchase a game, at retail or digitally, that I want to play online with another family member? Will I need to buy a second copy of the game?
- How much internal storage will the system have?
- How much space will most games take up when downloaded/installed?

These questions are all super inter-related and it sucks having to guess at what the answers might be.

You mean play locally? Or someone elsewhere?

Orbis

The problem is nobody knows what standard means. Nobody knows if there even is a 'standard' size. Nobody knows what the maximum or minimum are nor are these even hinted at by this news. Honestly the whole thread, while well intentioned, is completely meaningless and we've already seen the usual misread everything/jump to conclusion brigade all over it.

Plum

It's likely the former, as in a publisher wanting to release a higher capacity game will have to use the higher capacity cards but for smaller games the standard is still there, just like DS and 3DS. It would make no sense for Nintendo to design and manufacture a lower capacity version if it were optional.

nubbe

I feel like we are hearing lot of "it's enough for a handheld" excuses lately...
The thing is, Switch isn't only a handheld...
It is a cart based system
Anyone who thought the standard would be 100+ is ridiculous.
There will likely be 64gb+ games, but far between.

Top Bottom