• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ reporter : Standard capacity of Switch game card is around 16GB

Arkam

16GB standard sounds great to me. Plenty of room for a majority of developers. And if that is "standard" I am sure we will 32GB & 64GB when actually needed.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Already talked to mods. Don't worry about me. Not gonna drop the bigger things I know that haven't been mentioned elsewhere, but if they get leaked I'll be happy to confirm.

I don't know anything about software in development, only hardware.

Edit: Was willing to show a few things to mod team as evidence, with the hopes that they would post and keep me anonymous. They said they won't post those kinds of things for other posters. So I won't divulge any extra spicy info, just basic stuff like RAM here in this thread. I think the specs were leaked in another thread anyway. I don't follow these threads too much tbh, because I already know (most things anyway).

If you genuinely know stuff but can't post then stop the teasing and stop posting.
Put up or shut up.

vern

If you genuinely know stuff but can't post then stop the teasing and stop posting.
Put up or shut up.

I said some solid information, obviously I can't post proof. If you don't want it that's fine. Just be patient til January or until someone else leaks it. Main thing is I can confirm that the specs are pretty much accurate. Not sure what else you want.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I said some solid information, obviously I can't post proof. If you don't want it that's fine. Just be patient til January or until someone else leaks it. Main thing is I can confirm that the specs are pretty much accurate. Not sure what else you want.

Fire it to me and I'll leak it.

vern

Fire it to me and I'll leak it.

Lol... If and when I can post more I will. Sorry about that, really would love to share what I know. If more rumors come out best I can do is confirm or deny based on what I know. And again, I mentioned before, I know zero about software in development. Really not trying to be a tease, just trying to help clarify things.

Eolz

Lol... If and when I can post more I will. Sorry about that, really would love to share what I know. If more rumors come out best I can do is confirm or deny based on what I know. And again, I mentioned before, I know zero about software in development. Really not trying to be a tease, just trying to help clarify things.

I'm sorry to say that, but the only things you've said so far either come from other and older leaks (LPVG) or are just bouncing on the basic official Tegra X1 specs.
You're absolutely not confirming anything or surprising anybody with that.

KingBroly

Banned

Is the OS android-based?

N64 situation
Totally.

And a single layer bluray holds 25GB, not 16. Whatever a Switch cart costs to produce they will be significantly more expensive than the manufacturing cost of a 25-50GB Blu-ray Disc.

We'll see if this doesn't contribute to third parties getting the fuck away from this business model like they did with the N64.

Also: 32 GB of internal memory for the Switch sounds embarrassing for a console launching in 2017. PS4 and XB1 games come in cheap Blu-ray Discs that need to be installed as well. With 32GBs only installation is not an option with the switch. How could it's games could possible ever compete with the other consoles? Especially the multiplatforms.

Gosh, Nintendo. I really hope you know what you're doing.

vern

I'm sorry to say that, but the only things you've said so far either come from other and older leaks (LPVG) or are just bouncing on the basic official Tegra X1 specs.
You're absolutely not confirming anything or surprising anybody with that.

Ehh.. like I said I didn't really follow the threads. That the specs leaked match what I've been given I guess shouldn't be surprising, though confirmation that these things match multiple sources should be useful. Of course, there is no reason for you to trust me. So it's up to you. I don't really have anything to gain from confirming things. I think that at least the 3.2 thing was new though right? But again, I could have pulled it from my ass. I genuinely wish I could give more and I assure you I went to mods first, and talked with two of them. They didn't want to get involved or post anon on my behalf as I stated. Honestly, I'm not trying to stir any pot, I would suggest though that you take what I and NateDrake say as being accurate (but also subject to change). And you don't need to apologize... I fully understand your perspective.

Is the OS android-based?

I can't say anything about this one or the other, but I think you saw already my other posts about what I know about the OS. If not let me know I'll find it later... gotta go again now but I'll check back in when I can.

Minsc

Gold Member
Also: 32 GB of internal memory for the Switch sounds embarrassing for a console launching in 2017. PS4 and XB1 games come in cheap Blu-ray Discs that need to be installed as well. With 32GBs only installation is not an option with the switch. How could it's games could possible ever compete with the other consoles? Especially the multiplatforms.

Gosh, Nintendo. I really hope you know what you're doing.

Sarcasm? Why would games need to install when they're on a card? It's not going to have the abysmal random access seek times of a blu-ray, so games will just run directly from the card without textures and other things needing to be installed. 32GB is more than enough to download a random patch or two, and you can add your own microSD memory as needed beyond that.

Since you don't know what a Switch card costs to produce, it's a weak argument. Is it $20 more or $1 more, you don't really know so "significantly more expensive" leaves a big gap for interpretation.

Aroll

PSPRO still would use like 6.5GB for the games.

Sure and this thing being compared to a PS4 pro is rediculous.

If Nintendo nails it, let's say 3.5gb max is available for games. Compared directly to the Xbox one and PS4, it's actually really damn close to the ram they have available for games. Close enough that it shouldn't be a concern for ports. Besides, ram hasn't been the bottleneck holding back performance on those machines. Plus, reading games directly From carts is also like running the system using an SSD versus the optical drives they use now. So increased speed and performance is already present there. People just think of it in terms of load times because that's what a consumer sees, but because data transfer is so fast, you don't have to hold as much information in a temporary cache as you would otherwise. Properly handled pc's with 4gb of ram can run several of today's games at higher fps and better visuals with an ssd. Ideal, no, but it goes to show how unoptimzed this generations gaming consoles actually are. They unfortunately were not built with gaming as their first priority.

The lack of ram parity won't be as big of a hindrance as folks think.

nikatapi

Sure and this thing being compared to a PS4 pro is rediculous.

If Nintendo nails it, let's say 3.5gb max is available for games. Compared directly to the Xbox one and PS4, it's actually really damn close to the ram they have available for games. Close enough that it shouldn't be a concern for ports. Besides, ram hasn't been the bottleneck holding back performance on those machines. Plus, reading games directly From carts is also like running the system using an SSD versus the optical drives they use now. So increased speed and performance is already present there. People just think of it in terms of load times because that's what a consumer sees, but because data transfer is so fast, you don't have to hold as much information in a temporary cache as you would otherwise. Properly handled pc's with 4gb of ram can run several of today's games at higher fps and better visuals with an ssd. Ideal, no, but it goes to show how unoptimzed this generations gaming consoles actually are. They unfortunately were not built with gaming as their first priority.

The lack of ram parity won't be as big of a hindrance as folks think.

I think you forget that pc video game cards have their own memory. This is going to be a shared pool of memory.

TBH, I'm expecting very little to no PS4/XBO ports for Switch. Downscale ports like Wii version of Dead Rising from X360 version, yes. Direct gameplay ports with asset adjustments? No.
If they could've put Dead Rising on Wii just by scaling down some assets, that would've saved them a lot of effort. Wii was just too far for it to even be a possibility.

Eolz

Ehh.. like I said I didn't really follow the threads. That the specs leaked match what I've been given I guess shouldn't be surprising, though confirmation that these things match multiple sources should be useful. Of course, there is no reason for you to trust me. So it's up to you. I don't really have anything to gain from confirming things. I think that at least the 3.2 thing was new though right? But again, I could have pulled it from my ass. I genuinely wish I could give more and I assure you I went to mods first, and talked with two of them. They didn't want to get involved or post anon on my behalf as I stated. Honestly, I'm not trying to stir any pot, I would suggest though that you take what I and NateDrake say as being accurate (but also subject to change). And you don't need to apologize... I fully understand your perspective.

I can't say anything about this one or the other, but I think you saw already my other posts about what I know about the OS. If not let me know I'll find it later... gotta go again now but I'll check back in when I can.

3.2 is indeed new and would be good if true.
It's just that teasing things that are already known doesn't really work well anymore at this point in time after all the speculation threads riddled with fake insiders. Not your fault obviously, but still, a dangerous game... (like that guy that kept putting :) at the end of his sentences some months ago)

Better read what has been already leaked first, most of what is on LPVG and posted by Emily Rogers are trusted right now.

720p means this isn't a big deal.

Besides it can always be increased.

Im more worried about internal storage...

If we can indeed add a SD or micro SD card, I'm not too worried. Easy to swap.

Astral Dog

Sarcasm? Why would games need to install when they're on a card? It's not going to have the abysmal random access seek times of a blu-ray, so games will just run directly from the card without textures and other things needing to be installed. 32GB is more than enough to download a random patch or two, and you can add your own microSD memory as needed beyond that.

Since you don't know what a Switch card costs to produce, it's a weak argument. Is it $20 more or $1 more, you don't really know so "significantly more expensive" leaves a big gap for interpretation.

can someone tell how big would be the difference between a Blu Ray access speed and a Game Card?

not surprised its faster but im impressed you would not even need to install games.

Eolz

Cuningas de Häme;222160319 said:
Guy is not teasing, just careful. And have spoken to mods, they'd banned him already if he lied about that...

Never forget 10k that also talked to mods...

MacTag

Banned

I'm sort expecting Switch might handle things like 3DS does: all game related downloads, patches, dlc, saves, etc are on the SD card and internal memory is reserved for the system. 3DS actually had a good amount of internal memory (1-4GB depending on the model) but Nintendo never let you touch it. They just threw in a 2-4GB card for that.

Switch devkis supposedly ship with 32GB storage and a 128GB microSD card, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Nintendo threw in a card for retail units too, even if it's smaller (32-64GB).

If they could've put Dead Rising on Wii just by scaling down some assets, that would've saved them a lot of effort. Wii was just too far for it to even be a possibility.

The amount of zombies to be rendered at a time is one thing, the biggest hurdle for Wii version matching 360's gameplay was RAM discrepancy. They could have faked other stuff pretty well (and did fake them pretty well).

can someone tell how big would be the difference between a Blu Ray access speed and a Game Card?

not surprised its faster but im impressed you would not even need to install games.
Think of it this way. With the game on a game card it should be as if it's already installed.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Think of it this way. With the game on a game card it should be as if it's already installed.

Which would mean it is not heavily compressed beyond what you see on installed games on other consoles' HDD.
Then again, there is data you will only decompress when loading data to RAM hence DMA move engines with image decoding and unzipping/decompressing capabilities.

Top Bottom