• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony Making New Handheld Game Device/E-Book Reader/Netbook Computer Thingy

Big B

sucks to be them right now, it's hard to compete with such a long established brand like Nintendo's handheld.

Durante

Vinci said:
This has nothing to do with the opinion that convergent devices are somehow bad - they aren't. The problem is that Sony is going to take on Apple in an area in which they will be going at it virtually alone - rather than the phone variant in which they'd have Google working with them. The reason Apple does so well in the phone and now slate market is because of their ridiculously good interface and product design. I've seen nothing recently to make me think Sony can compete in this regard.
In terms of product design at least Sony can still do it. Look at the Vaio Z series. Admittedly not mass market, but the most beautiful and functional laptops out there currently.

antispin

yurinka

Nirolak said:
Generally the Wall Street Journal is very accurate about the things they leak.

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703636404575352681516157268.html
I think it was confirmed some time ago they were going to use their Playstation brand in both tablet/slate/pad and smartphone markets.

Sony also stated they want more colaborations between their brands and to make their divisions to work closer.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Thus Sony will follow apple and not Nintendo. Would be laughable if at the last second a 3D implementation will be announced.
Both PSP and Sony Ericsson has a worldwide installed base far bigger than the iPhone. Even SonyEricsson sales are shrinking and iPhone are growing, SE still sells more:
http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/23/smartphone-iphone-sales-2009-gartner/

Sony had tons of mobile phones before the iPhone was announced. One of them even has the 4 Playstation face buttons.

And Sony announced -before 3DS was unveiled- they were going to focus almost all their entire corporation in 3D (not only gaming: photo cameras, video cameras, projectors, mobile phones, tvs, movies, blue-ray players etc). So the rare thing would be to don't see a 3D Sony gaming portable device in the future (even maybe PSP2 is too soon).

Vinci

Danish
Durante said:
In terms of product design at least Sony can still do it. Look at the Vaio Z series. Admittedly not mass market, but the most beautiful and functional laptops out there currently.

*googles images*

Meh. I like the new Apple-style keyboard for it though.

randomkid

The thing that makes me laugh about the PSP Marcus commercials is how at the end he just looks into the camera and says "PSP. Marcus."

I mean, is there like market research or something showing that this is effective? It sounds ridiculous.

NeoGAF. Randomkid. I mean, really.

Durante

Vinci said:
*googles images*

Meh. I like the new Apple-style keyboard for it though.
Interesting that you call the chiclet keyboard "Apple-style".

I'll let you guess which company was the first to put one on a laptop ;)

Truespeed

badcrumble said:
Android really is the best answer for them. Doesn't even absolutely have to be a phone to run the Android OS.

It really is. Unfortunately, they'll find a way to slap on their custom skins and mods until it doesn't even resemble Android. It will also only run Sony authorized apps which will be available from the Sony app store.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Graphics Horse said:
Sony PlayView™?

I forgot about that trademark.

The classifications it falls under does fit with the kind of device rumoured, and notably it's a SCE mark.

If this device is a SCE device, then I'd retract what I said in my last post - I'd have much less doubt that this device might substitute for a PSP2, in name. I think they'd 'third pillar' it, not rule out ever making a PSP2 but really backburner-ing it in favour of this.

When you think about PSP and what they tried to do with it and what did and didn't work, that kind of route does have a logic to it. The PSP presented itself as a multimedia, multifunctional device, but calling it a portable Playstation was a blessing and a curse. It was too strongly associated as a gaming machine, and given the portable landscape that's out there, with something as personally identifying as a portable device, there are a lot of people who might be interested in the extra-gaming functionality but who wouldn't buy a Playstation. A 'bridging brand' thus might make sense if it can retain the interest and attention of Playstation fans while remaining sufficiently neutral so as to not deter non-gamers.

Thinking about it more, that scenario seems more plausible to me, of a new device and brand under SCE. 'Playstation' might be too limiting for the broader goals they had with PSP and probably still have.

Metal B

They cant go after the 3DS, because they cant and dont want to beat glassless 3D. The last statement of Sony, where they ask Nintendo to not bash 3D, show that they are not going after a glassless 3D PSP and a PSP with glasses would be stupid as hell. So the only options are to create a PSP2 without 3D and more power (what will take the same path as the psp) or something completely different. So a pad could be a better option ...

Corto

Sold! But SOny has to broaden to the rest of the world the content available in the PSN Store though... A device like this needs to have video, comic books, books, music, games, apps, readily available and easy enough to make an impulse buy in a distance of a click. And of course, flexible and aggressive pricing is a must. Color me interested.

Vinci said:
I think the underlying issue in all of these approaches is that Sony itself isn't distinctively good at anything. I mean, they're sort of good in a lot of different areas - but they aren't so good at any one thing that they stand apart in a crowd. Even in the PSPhone concept that I've supported in the past, it was mostly leveraging their history as console leader in order to distinguish their offering from others'.

Yeah. I used to have minidisc players, now I have iPod. I have a Sony Reader, am starting to drool over Kindle. Sony has a tendency to often get stuck in the niche. For me to get new Sony tech at this point requires some kind of industry-wide adoptance, some kind of broader standards. Going with Android and Kindle tech would help sway me.

Uhm, what is Wall Street Journal reporting?! Lol they reported on this many months ago

March 5/6 2010 search for PSP-pad, etc
Threatened by Apple Inc.'s growing stable of portable devices, Sony Corp. is developing a new lineup of handheld products, including a smart phone capable of downloading and playing videogames, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Japanese electronics giant also is developing a portable device that shares characteristics of netbooks, electronic-book readers and handheld-game machines. The device is designed to compete against multifunction products such as Apple's coming iPad tablet, these people said

Today

Meanwhile, Sony is developing a portable device that shares characteristics of handheld game machines, e-book readers and netbook computers, according to people familiar with the matter. Some Sony e-book readers already come with 3G connections but it is not clear if a new wireless gadget will use carrier networks.

Doesnt seem like they updated anything at all (spare 3G). just sayin

EDIT: WOW, talk about a coincidence.

Durante

I wonder if they could make it run Android as the main OS and still prevent piracy (and hobbyists making games that are "too good") by locking out 1/2 or 3/4 of the GPU unless in "commercial game mode". It should still easily keep up with other tablets and such a feature could even improve battery life.

Takao

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
Uhm, what is Wall Street Journal reporting?! Lol they reported on this many months ago

March 5/6 2010 search for PSP-pad, etc

Doesnt seem like they updated anything at all (spare 3G). just sayin

Isn't like the WSJ full of old people? They must've forgotten. Step your game up, and play some Echochrono WSJ suits.

randomkid said:
The thing that makes me laugh about the PSP Marcus commercials is how at the end he just looks into the camera and says "PSP. Marcus."

I mean, is there like market research or something showing that this is effective? It sounds ridiculous.

NeoGAF. Randomkid. I mean, really.

Dude, you need to step your game up. It's "Marcus PSP", and that's the url that redirects to his Youtube page where he rags on iPhone games, and houses his commercials. Like that one with that guy and that other guy who was like "SNAAAAAKKKEEE", and that other kid who was like "Bro stole my PSP", and Marcus was like "Steal his girlfriend". Step your game up.

The Modnation Racers ad is actually pretty funny, I must admit.

What if they're working on three devices:
  • PSP2 - limited functionality for people that mainly want a gaming device, like the iPod Touch and music
  • PSPhone - like the iPhone
  • PSPad - like the iPad
...all of which use PSP2 branding and play PSP2, PSP1, and PS1 games. And probably PS2 games by that point as well.

Edit:

The main thing I'm looking for in their next handheld is 3G support allowing for constant PSN access. I hope they do still create a more traditional PSP2 or a PSP2 + Phone. You'd think they'd have to at least support the Network and any PSP games you've purchased that way.

Vinci

Danish
Durante said:
Interesting that you call the chiclet keyboard "Apple-style".

I'll let you guess which company was the first to put one on a laptop ;)

Hmm. I think that's part of the problem.

BlueWord

Sounds rough, and too vague to make any real judgements. If I had to guess, the e-book thing means it had a touchscreen, and the netbook component is probably a hint at more advanced computing features.

Not sure if want.gif

tzare

great news if true, something similar to dell streak with CONTROLS would be perfect portable decive for me

makingmusic476 said:
What if they're working on three devices:
  • PSP2 - limited functionality for people that mainly want a gaming device, like the iPod Touch and music
  • PSPhone - like the iPhone
  • PSPad - like the iPad
...all of which use PSP2 branding and play PSP2, PSP1, and PS1 games. And probably PS2 games by that point as well.

I can't see a tablet with a dpad, analog nub, face buttons, and shoulder buttons.

If they are trying to go after the Kindle/iPad crowd, this would cause it to look like a confusing toy. If they are going after the traditional handheld gamer crowd, this thing is going to be too expensive.

jrricky said:
Seriously, after PSP, what can Sony really do to win back market share or mindshare?

Nothing.

iPhone and 3DS/DS has the market locked down. Sony would just be stepping into a field where they have lost before entering. There's no way Sony could make a magical device that suddenly outdoes the other two and gathers more mindshare in a short amount of time. The ship has sailed, and if Sony releases a new handheld it would be a big money sucking hole.

Barrett2

That Onion video is perfect. When i read Engadget in my RSS feed, most of the time i'm just shocked at how much niche gizmo shit is unleashed onto the marketplace. I don't know who buys this stuff.

I hope Marcus is saving his money.

lawblob said:
That Onion video is perfect. When i read Engadget in my RSS feed, most of the time i'm just shocked at how much niche gizmo shit is unleashed onto the marketplace. I don't know who buys this stuff.

You don't have a Sony Dash on your nightstand?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ULTROS! said:
Actually, what I really hope for in the future Sony handheld is that, if it supports DD and games, you can easily download the SDK and it supports C/C++/C#, unlike Apple's Xcode (Objective-C).
apple's xcode is C/C++/ObjC/ObjC++. so basically, outside of C#, it has eveything you asked for.

Barrett2

Beer Monkey said:
You don't have a Sony Dash on your nightstand?

It's perfect for those mornings when you don't want to get out of bed, but kind-of want to look at the Internet for a few minutes by glancing at your nightstand, but without requiring the commitment and energy it takes to reach my hand over to pick up my iPhone, or god forbid, walk into the living room to pick up my laptop.

Raistlin

IMO, the smart move for Sony would be to use Android as the UI, and have it separately boot a game OS for official 'PSP2' games. Much like the original PS3 with OtherOS, only in this case it will come loaded and be part of the standard UI. Sony and Google are pretty tight.

Since the GameOS would be on dedicated HW, this unit could have official 'PSP2-only' games, but could also run Android games if so inclined.

If they were to do this and throw in a 3Qi screen or maybe 3D (lol), could be a very interesting and compelling device.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jrricky said:
Seriously, after PSP, what can Sony really do to win back market share or mindshare?

I'm no fan of the PSP, but what 'lost marketshare' is there to win back exactly? It was their first go at this, there wasn't a prior generation of device that they lost marketshare relative to.

The question for a future device is whether they could hold or grow marketshare, not whether they could win back marketshare.

I think also there's a bit too much dismissal of competition or the credibility of competition in these markets. PSP won a fair number of users. It wasn't the worst kind of start to make. It can't have been so terrible if even Nintendo is now seeking to eat into their slice of the pie. Regardless, I think we need to know a lot more about any device and their strategy to even begin to reasonably forecast the future for it and what would define success or failure criteria.

J-Rzez

jrricky said:

I don't know, what can they do after selling 50million units of their first attempt at the handheld market? What can a new product that perhaps improves on every aspect of the first? That perhaps includes features that were lacking the first time around? That may have even greater support than the first?

I don't know. I'll get back to you on that one.

Vinterbird said:
Nothing.

iPhone and 3DS/DS has the market locked down. Sony would just be stepping into a field where they have lost before entering. There's no way Sony could make a magical device that suddenly outdoes the other two and gathers more mindshare in a short amount of time. The ship has sailed, and if Sony releases a new handheld it would be a big money sucking hole.

Huh? There first entry in the handheld gaming market got them over 50 million units sold. In fact the hardware made them money, it was one of the things alongside the PS2, that wasn't bleeding money in the gaming division when the PS3 was released.

mello said:
Without the glasses? I can see this being a problem since they're trying to sell 3D TVs that require them. They wouldn't want to confuse there consumers now would they? :D

A portable device that require glasses would be a pretty uncomfortable experience too.

I'd actually expect Sony to do both as they mess with pretty much every kinda electronic device.

I don't think that there would be any confusion at all.

Well, lol, since we are having a bit of deja vu, I think just about every idea that multiple posters have stated in here have already been echoed in the same thread here echoed just in March, lol.

WSJ

lol, Android, phone, tablet, etc.

gofreak said:
I think also there's a bit too much dismissal of competition or the credibility of competition in these markets.

Dismissal on this topic is likely related to the degree to which Sony has consistently failed utterly to challenge Apple in any of their growth markets or the degree to which they've let the once at least somewhat vigorous PSP market dwindle (and their launch position for a successor along with it) moreso than any general belief that these markets cannot be competed in period.

Interfectum said:
:lol @ all the people who think this thing will be powered by android. Wishful thinking much?

The idea of anything that's actually positioned as a "PSP2" (i.e. a closed gaming system) using Android is fantasy, but the idea of anything positioned to compete in the slate, portable media player, or phone markets using Android is a pretty self-evidently good idea. Given that this is a nearly content-free rumor, whether it falls into the former or latter category is hard to discern. :lol

AAK

Meh, this will probably be just another prototype left in the Sony archives of inventions. Not bothering to look to deep into this.

Top Bottom