• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony Plans New PlayStation for Graphics-Heavy Games

We've already survived a HDD-less 360 "hardware fragmentation" for a good chunk of last generation, which was likely more of a true userbase fragmentation in the negative sense than the nightmare scenarios being speculated about in these various threads.

What the vast majority of people appear to be trying to describe when they use "fragmenting the userbase" is something a lot more along the lines of what the PSVR actually is going to do to the PS4 userbase rather than what the PS4K as rumored will do.

Instead of having this discussion in any depth, we keep circling back to things like the 20+ year old 32x add-on that honestly has no bearing on what the console space has become.

no polaris, why do some even think this ?

Weirdly enough people on both sides are victims of this. The fear mangers and the hopefuls are severely overestimating what in my opinion this thing is. Klepek himself, the one that broke this story, said it wouldn't be a large upgrade form what he gathered.

Zoetis

Banned
Don't think anyone has claimed it is cheap? Point is the reports and yourself, IIRC, have said 4K gaming. This can't be the case if it is a die shrunk current APU. Even if clock speeds are raised it wouldn't be enough for me to be classed as an upgrade and definitely not enough for any sort of 4K gaming.

I'm a bit surprised at your confusion now considering your earlier posts.

A console don't need a gpu as powerfull as a "Titan" to reach his goal.

The_Lump

Banned
You have to be kidding me.... I'm wrong because I'm using the correct definition of the word?

It's semantics. And fwiw we are both using a "correct" definition of the word "fragment". However I am the only one using the correct definition of the phrase "fragmented userbase" as applied in video gaming. The user base isn't being fragmented (read: broken apart). It's still one userbase.

And you still haven't countered anything I said in my first reply to you where I validate my stance.

HandsomeCharles said:
And in response to your HDD analogy, yes. That would fragment the userbase. It may not be the biggest issue in the world, but it has been something that has come into play with MMO and multiplayer games with persistent for a very long time. When moving through zones or areas with loading screens, those who can load faster are at an advantage over the others. Be it for loot / monster choice / positioning etc. It all comes into play.

Again, this logic is floored. So a different sized TV is fragmenting the userbase? A different internet speed?

Maybe that's fragmenting the user experience (still reaching imo) but the userbase is perfectly in tact.

bitbydeath

It will if the goal is for AAAs to do 4K native and with a 30+ framerate.

Edit: As seen with this chart

75479.png

THE:MILKMAN

I actually agree with this.Yet it does need a lot more than it has now for AAA games at 4K.

A couple of more CU's and higher clocks won't score the 'goal'. Maybe Sony have some sort of Super 4K chip they will add?

jstripes

Banned
So why would game devs be discussing it at GDC and Sony have hardware ready?

Edit: And according to Patrick Klepek, this hardware has a code name....
Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the prospect of a console becoming an open platform for other manufacturers to build.

Well it might have not been worth it at the start of the generation bur right now I'm sure some chinese manufacturers could make a "ps4 compatible" device cheap enough to make it worth it.

Because Sony wants some Chinese company undercutting them and eating their lunch just as the hardware itself becomes profitable to sell.

Opening up the hardware won't increase the overall size of the market. It'll just eat into Sony's share of it.

ckohler

Why does it even need to run 4k games? What percentage of consumers own a 4k TV now? Save that for PS5.

I don't know but I personally just bought a 4K TV and I'm looking forward to playing 4K Blu-Ray discs... but I sure as hell don't want to spend $399 on a stand-alone player. If they can release a PS4 that does it, I'll just trade in my old one.

EdLin

Neo Member
This is how the industry collapses IMO. We've seen the signs already. Hope you guys love PC gaming because consoles are done for.

I agree, SEGA collapsed their hardware business by doing this, now Sony and Microsoft are heading over the same precipice.

Edit: Unlike you, I love PC gaming though, just bring over those exclusives to PC. :)

It's semantics. And fwiw we are both using a "correct" definition of the word "fragment". However I am the only one using the correct definition of the phrase "fragmented userbase" as applied in video gaming. The user base isn't being fragmented (read: broken apart). It's still one userbase.

And you still haven't countered anything I said in my first reply to you where I validate my stance.

I'm sorry but that is not the correct definition of the phrase in this context. If you can find a source to back up what you're saying I'll gladly retract my statement.

And although I doubt it will make any difference to you (And I apologise if I'm coming across as rude) but I'm a games programmer, so this is something that I have to deal with on a daily basis. I just get a bit frustrated because it is an important issue, and everybody needs to be on the same page in order to discuss it correctly because it could potentially have very bad ramifications for the consumer.

Yo man, I know you're not at liberty to say much, but can you just spill the beans lol.

Like give us more info perhaps about the release window, price, specifics upgrades (e.g. is it in the GPU/APU). Please? :D

I agree, SEGA collapsed their hardware business by doing this, now Sony and Microsoft are heading over the same precipice.

So why should PC somehow survives although it exactly that what makes the consoles collapse?

Sega failed because it sold the Dreamcast for a not sustainable price but what are facts?

From a developer/publisher stand point, it is a fragmented user base. Which platform do you target/focus on? How much money/resources do you put towards the other platform? We don't even know what's Sony's policies are at this point in time.

Because a desktop PC is expandable, it isn't like a console where you'll piss off retailers with unsold inventory if graphics get upgraded.

Is that your main argument that it would "piss off retailers"? They survive to sell 200 different OEM computers at the same time but an upgrade every handful years is killing the console industry?

Yo man, I know you're not at liberty to say much, but can you just spill the beans lol.

Like give us more info perhaps about the release window, price, specifics upgrades (e.g. is it in the GPU/APU). Please? :D

I don't think it right or fair to ask for specifics but it sure would be nice to know what section(s), if any, of the APU and/or RAM are being upgraded.

EdLin

Neo Member
No, not really.

What I read is that SEGA got retailers upset by making too many consoles too close together, leading them to have unsold inventory of the previous console. So when the Dreamcast came along, retailers didn't even want to deal with SEGA altogether, and didn't carry the product. What did you read?

Yeah, no. And there goes your credibility for me.

Wait, just curious why? I thought it was well documented that consoles that have the same hardware as PC's can go further simply due to the closed and customised nature of the consoles, and how much good optimisation can go (aka coding to the metal where PC performance ≠ console performance, and in some cases, the latter is higher for the same "hardware" spec).

Also, why has his credibility suddenly gone? Are we really going to discredit all his previous information which has been pretty much verified at this point otherwise he would have been banned...? Like why so reactionary?

Caayn

Wait, just curious why? I thought it was well documented that consoles that have the same hardware as PC's can go further simply due to the closed and customised nature of the consoles, and how much good optimisation can go.

Also, why has his credibility suddenly gone? Are we really going to discredit all his previous information which has been pretty much verified at this point otherwise he would have been banned...? Like why so reactionary?
Benefits due to a closed box design exists, I won't deny that, but they don't result in 60% to 100% increase in output.

The benefits of a console design aren't that large.

Just because one was correct in the past doesn't mean that I need to swallow everything (S)he says as the truth.

What I read is that SEGA got retailers upset by making too many consoles too close together, leading them to have unsold inventory of the previous console. So when the Dreamcast came along, retailers didn't even want to deal with SEGA altogether, and didn't carry the product. What did you read?

You mean the Dreamcast which broke first day retail records?

Sega suffered from the fact that it sold flops more than successful systems. Nintendo never suffered any problems in that regard although releasing all kinds of new variants of the same system all the time.

There's a lot to be said for hardware specific optimization, but it can't perform miracles.

PS4 needs a HUGE upgrade to run the same games at 4k. So something isn't right with this story.

joecanada

I've had my PS4 for almost three years, I'm game to buy a stronger one. Suck it poor people.

Lol although this seems to be a rather rude point of view, it's no more offensive than the constant whining of other posters on here hating on the very idea that other people may enjoy upgrading their ps4.

More options for everyone, I'm in favour of. I'm more of a wait and see myself but would consider trading up.

Benefits due to a closed box design exists, I won't deny that, but they don't result in 80% to 100% increase in output.

The benefits of a console design aren't that large.

Just because one was correct in the past doesn't mean that I need to swallow everything (S)he says as the truth.

He meant +20 FPS on the chart! not sure what 80%-100% increase is in relation to?

AmFreak

pc charts shouldn't be compared with consoles, FPS you get from a pc game doesn't mean you get the same result on a console.

+20 fps - meaning basically doubling it's performance just by putting one of those gpu's in a ps4 is utter nonsense.

There's a lot to be said for hardware specific optimization, but it can't perform miracles.

PS4 needs a HUGE upgrade to run the same games at 4k. So something isn't right with this story.

I can only assume a misunderstanding of hardware. I say that even though I think I only know the basics.

Top Bottom