• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony Plans New PlayStation for Graphics-Heavy Games

iHaunter

980Ti a $600 GPU has trouble handling 4k at a good resolution.

We're supposed to believe PS4.5 can do 4k without a hitch? I wonder what the specs are, seems pretty difficult.

THE:MILKMAN

image.php

You mung bean.

In all seriousness, it can be said that technically a big upgrade is possible but practically (price and 1 million units a month) it isn't.

Lister

Banned
You mung bean.

In all seriousness, it can be said that technically a big upgrade is possible but practically (price and 1 million units a month) it isn't.

Yep.

I'm still in the they'll OC the existing parts camp, maybe improve memory bandwidth by doing something that will balance out the needs fo the CPU vs GPU better than current hardware does coupled with a good upscaler for 4K.

That could mean solid 8x+ AF and a more locked 30 FPS/60FPS in some titles, which is a nice step up that would likely require almost zero effort on the dev side to support.

Lister

Banned

We're supposed to believe PS4.5 can do 4k without a hitch? I wonder what the specs are, seems pretty difficult.

I think you mean at good grpahics settings?

A 980ti can certianly handle most games at 30 FPS if not higher at PS4 grpahics settings, but as I mentioned above, PS4 graphics settings will be a pretty poor match for the detail of 4K. You relaly want somehtign closer to PC on high or Ultra.

THE:MILKMAN

Yep.

I'm still in the they'll OC the existing parts camp, maybe improve memory bandwidth by doing something that will balance out the needs fo the CPU vs GPU better than current hardware does coupled with a good upscaler for 4K.

That could mean solid 8x+ AF and a more locked 30 FPS/60FPS in some titles, which is a nice step up that would likely require almost zero effort on the dev side to support.

Yeah can't wait for the details. One fix I'm wondering about (IIRC) is something about the bandwidth. Instead of the full 176GB/s being available the CPU takes up to 20GB/s? Is that right and would the extra help?

duhmetree

Yeah can't wait for the details. One fix I'm wondering about (IIRC) is something about the bandwidth. Instead of the full 176GB/s being available the CPU takes up to 20GB/s? Is that right and would the extra help?

PS4 gets around 140GB/s, not the 176 advertised.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
First of all they are not replacing the PS4. They are offering an enhanced version.
Second of all the PS4 you currently own will be unaffected by a new PS4K.
Third of all how do you know developers are happy with the PS4?

How do you know the current PS4 players won't be affect? And why would you assume devs want a more powerful PS4 right now? What would indicate that?

Sure, things are going well right now, but getting too comfortable is what leads to complacency. They are trying to innovate and take advantage of a significant technological breakthrough to make a better performing machine. What if a competitor comes in the market and is 2.5x more powerful than the ps4 in the same price range? The technology to do that will be available this year. Things won't be going so well then will they?

This isn't possible? There's no way MS makes a console that's 4 Teraflops of power and sell it for $349. Unless Sony is going to start selling the PS4 for $250 this holiday season.

iHaunter

I think you mean at good grpahics settings?

A 980ti can certianly handle most games at 30 FPS if not higher at PS4 grpahics settings, but as I mentioned above, PS4 graphics settings will be a pretty poor match for the detail of 4K. You relaly want somehtign closer to PC on high or Ultra.

I mean, why bother having such scale with low graphic settings?

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? I guess it depends what you want out of the game. Though I'd rather have Ultra 60/120 on 1080 than Low 30 on 4k.

Pascal will put an end to that I hope. That's why I ended up getting a 970 as a placeholder.

duhmetree

Bandwidth.
PS4 = 146 GB/s
980ti = 336 GB/s
X5/HBM1 = 448-512 GB/s
( if Sony goes supersaiyan; HBM2 at 1 TB/s )

Technology is taking a major leap. With that bandwidth leap add in Polaris 10. Double compute units. More powerful compute units. over 2.5x more efficient.. etc.

iHaunter

Bandwidth.
PS4 = 146 GB/s
980ti = 336 GB/s
X5/HBM1 = 448-512 GB/s
( if Sony goes supersaiyan; HBM2 at 1 TB/s )

Technology is taking a major leap. With that bandwidth leap add in Polaris 10. Double compute units. More powerful compute units. over 2.5x more efficient.. etc.

Hard to know the potential when we don't have a price.

Slay

I do. With the jump from 28nm to 14nm, they could basically double the PS4 hardware for the same silicon space and cost. That alone would be ~3.7 teraflops for approx $100 silicon.

If they pushed for $150+ silicon, then with the ram, motherboard, plastics etc you would be somewhere near $400 break even.

'Easy Peasy!'

I think that you'll be very disapointed when they reveal the actual hardware. I can see absolutely no reason for them to upgrade the hardware at this point in time. On the other hand they have plenty of reasons to go with another slim version, and increase their profit margins.

P.S. 4K is 4 times the pixels of 1080p, so even with double graphics power, it is not enough.

PS4 gets around 140GB/s, not the 176 advertised.
Do we know if this is an architectural APU quirk/inefficiency in general, or is it particular to the PS4?

For example, the theoretical XB1 DDR3 bandwidth is 68GB/s, with the Jaguar 1.75 GHz octa-core CPU getting 30GB/s at most (10GB/s more than the PS4's 1.6 GHz CPU).

So, does that mean that the XB1 gets no more than 54GB/s of DDR3 memory bandwidth?

Easy dev solution (not only dev solution).

Target 4.5

drop resolution until 30fps on 4. Tadah, 4.5 gets gooder graphics, 4 gets to play.

Instead of resolution (Most people react to resolution more negatively/positively than graphic settings because they generally understand what resolution is) it will be aliasing techniques, shadows, draw distance etc. But yea that's basically the Gist of it. It will be the exact same thing that's been happening for years and years, but with two consoles instead of one. Still a simple feat.

Top Bottom