• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ/TI: Amazon buys Twitch for over $1 billion after Google fall through

Orayn

Why would Google ask for Twitch to implement their own system for copyright, when it has a system already ready to go?

Even if Google bought Twitch at this point, they'd likely force them switch over to ContentID. It's part of what was so weird about all that.

Exactly. Twitch did the music thing with technology they licensed from Audible Magic, who were the same people Google went to when they needed to crack down on copyrighted content in the early days of YouTube. Google later developed their own system with ContentID.

It wouldn't make any sense for Twitch to start from scratch like Google did if Google was about to purchase them. It's like someone who's supposedly getting hired for a job at Target buying a bunch of blue polo shirts.

SerTapTap

Suspicious as to what Amazon wants with it. Whoever buys it needs to be platform agnostic. Don't want any priority given to Fire TV or anything

Talon

How have they ruined Comixology? I'm genuinely curious as I haven't fired the app up in a bit. From the outside the deal looked like it would be great for Comixology.
Took out in-app purchases of issues. You have to go to the website to do it then come back to the app.

kick51

Banned
use your talents to build a popular website

get bought out by google, amazon, or facebook because actually making it profitable is too difficult. I can't hate on the hustle, I'd prob get out and retire as soon as possible, but I can't help but feel there's something systemically wrong with this.

wait...Google...Amazon...Facebook

G...A...F

The Llama

So clearly the Google buyout fell apart, Twitch panicked and made all those changes no one liked, and now maybe Amazon's gonna buy them? Crazy. The initial investors really want out.

This is so much better than google buying them.

I agree with this. Amazon doesn't have a monopoly over internet video with a total lack of any kind of support for users (Youtube). Twitch really seems to be looking for buyers, so I would take Amazon over Google.

Talon

For what it's worth, Andreeson-Horowitz folks are talking like this is a done deal.
I agree with this. Amazon doesn't have a monopoly over internet video with a total lack of any kind of support for users (Youtube). Twitch really seems to be looking for buyers, so I would take Amazon over Google.
Amazon would own "top of mind" communities for three major consumable media: IMDB (Movies), GoodReads (Books), and Twitch (Games).

Vyer

How have they ruined Comixology? I'm genuinely curious as I haven't fired the app up in a bit. From the outside the deal looked like it would be great for Comixology.

Took out the storefront on iOS and the ability to pay through Play on Android. Really screwed up was a great browsing/buying experience, especially on iOS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't have a subcsription so I can't read it but I can glimpse the line "according to a person briefed on the matter." Let's avoid another Google bought Twitch meltdown until a press release.
I don't think I can actually think of a time WSJ has been wrong on news of this sort.

Seiru

Banned
Why did everybody think Google bought Twitch already? Does nobody read the actual articles when rumors like that are posted?

Top Bottom