• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ/TI: Amazon buys Twitch for over $1 billion after Google fall through

MaulerX

Google and Microsoft are at such at odds and that it was actually shocking to see Google having a decent Youtube app on 360/XB1. It was even more shocking to see Twitch so deeply integrated into the XB1 OS and on current Gen consoles in general for it to be owned by Google. I wonder what happened behind the scenes for the acquisition to fall thru? Regardless, I'm really happy about this. Anyone but Google.

It's
ne7yAYK.gif

"Like this game that's streaming? Buy it on Amazon" Makes sense. It would be nice to pay for subscriptions and donations through Amazon payments as well.

So clearly the Google buyout fell apart, Twitch panicked and made all those changes no one liked, and now maybe Amazon's gonna buy them? Crazy. The initial investors really want out.

This storyline has nothing to do with reality. These deals don't come together in a week. If Amazon is buying twitch, it's because they've been in talks to do so for months and months. There's no evidence whatsoever that there's any "panic" going on here.

Suspicious as to what Amazon wants with it. Whoever buys it needs to be platform agnostic. Don't want any priority given to Fire TV or anything

Almost everything Amazon does is platform agnostic.

wait...Google...Amazon...Facebook

G...A...F

Time for a new OT thread meme!

I feel like Amazon buying Twitch is better than Google buying Twitch. Some how, I just envisioned Twitch becoming YouTube 2.0 with a Google takeover.

BWJinxing

Still hoping for Facebook. The rage and confusion would be pretty hilarious.

Facebook and Twitch make sense, both being social platforms.
Facebook and Oculus Rift was a different story, completely unrelated industries.

im a bit confused about what amazon will gain from twitch. Are they doing it to divest or they trying to launch advertising service? Some sort of youtube competitor?

SerTapTap

Almost everything Amazon does is platform agnostic.

Yeah, but now they have their hand in the gaming cookie jar with Amazon app store and fire TV, they're just slightly less agnostic than Google. But I can't really see any (reasonable) thing they could do to tie/lock in Amazon services/hardware with Twitch. Fire TV has issues even playing lots of games let alone streaming. On the other hand, I can't see exactly why they'd care about it either. Much easier to guess why Google would want it...it's just youtube but streaming, for games.

im a bit confused about what amazon will gain from twitch. Are they doing it to divest or they trying to launch advertising service? Some sort of youtube competitor?

Like what is being streamed right now? Buy it on Amazon, one click away!

Everybody gets revenue. Copyright holders are happy, Amazon is happy, streamer is happy.

I'm curious as to how this might affect the use of copyrighted music. Will people be able to do it more because publishers won't want to tangle with Amazon or will they just require the streamers make it so people can buy the music played.

vazel

Banned
They already managed to ruin comixology. I wonder how they are they ruining twitch.
How did they ruin Comixology? Most comics drop to $1.99 after only a month, they have frequent .99c sales, and their comic reader has a single page view for portrait mode monitors.

Edit: I see they disabled in-app purchases which isn't a big deal for me since I only use Comixology on my PC with my second monitor in portrait mode. But I do understand this is a bummer for people that want to buy comics on their tablets.

Outside of Beck's best album, I had no idea what The Information was until now. Wow, sounds like I have a potential source for tech news that isn't garba-

-wait-

To read the full article: Subscribe Now. Well...maybe it's a good read, I'm sure it's reasona-

-wait-

$399 per year?

Orayn

I'm curious as to how this might affect the use of copyrighted music. Will people be able to do it more because publishers won't want to tangle with Amazon or will they just require the streamers make it so people can buy the music played.

There aren't any restrictions on playing music live right now, the VODs are the issue.

Twitch has plans to make deals with record labels to give them ad revenue from VODs where their music is used, which is similar to what YouTube does any not really a huge burden on streamers either. Amazon might be able to help make that happen sooner.

ViciousDS

Banned

Amazon technically has a bunch of music already licensed.....this might make things easier. Prime music already has a great starting selection and its only going to get bigger.....amazon is becoming huge in the digital media center.

Patryn

Guess we are moving back to Twitch then. It was fun, Hitbox!

Anyone expecting Amazon to lift the copyright stuff in the VODs are fooling themselves. I actually wouldn't be shocked if Twitch instituted that stuff to help this deal.

Amazon doesn't have a system ready to go the same way Google does, so it would make sense that Twitch would have to develop their own. In addition, Amazon and the media companies have a somewhat antagonistic relationship and I'm sure they would love to have the opportunity to sue Amazon over copyright stuff.

Twitch is cashing in while they can, that's smart.

Amazon is buying anything and everything that moves, they are getting desperate to find anything that might have growth potential. The flops of Fire TV and Fire phone have suddenly made their business model of constantly losing money to grow faster look vulnerable and shareholders are starting to wonder why they are paying for Jeff Bezos to get richer.

This would have been a bad deal for Google which is probably why they backed out. It's a bad deal for Amazon. But Twitch is going to have a lot of new multimillionaires soon, good on them.

netBuff

No worries about that. Amazon doesn't restrict anything. ex: Kindle app is on iOS.

Not true. Ex: Amazon Video not being on Android because Amazon are trying to push Kindle devices.

But I wouldn't expect Twitch to not remain platform agnostic, exclusivity to Kindle wouldn't make much sense.

Top Bottom