• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ/TI: Amazon buys Twitch for over $1 billion after Google fall through

Einbroch

Banned
Posted in the other thread, but it's hilarious how many people complained about Google made all these "horrible" changes to Twitch even though they never actually bought them.

Firestorm

qeTJ4wf.jpg

I'm in for Twitch Turbo + Amazon Prime merger.

Harlock

Google would be great to Twitch streaming quality be good and not shit outside the main areas. While Amazon is X.

Einbroch

Banned
Twitch streamers will now get paid through Amazon Payments, most likely. As someone who uses Amazon Payments, it's smart for Amazon. You're more likely to spend your money in your Amazon wallet on Amazon goods. It has, I believe, a $20 minimum withdraw (to a bank account), so many small streamers may be more inclined to buy something on Amazon if they have $5-$20 in their account.

Win for Amazon. Plus links to buy the game on Amazon on the streamer's page. Plus perhaps a partnership program where 3-5% of the profits from sales go to the streamer.

Makes total sense.

GAF thread on Twitch changes to VOD audio

Here we go. The downfall thanks to Google begins.

So google buys twitch only to ruin it? great

God damn it google, you have to ruin everything don't you. This kinda sucks.

Are people going to still tell me that Google doesn't own Twitch?

Dat Google effect.

Google wasting no time!

Fucking Google fuck

And so it begins. All our fears from the Google buyout are slowly coming true.

I also got an email today about Twitch allowing past broadcasts to be saved forever. Instead you'll need to highlight them or upload them to YouTube. Highlights will be limited to 2 hours and all past (non-highlighted) broadcasts will be deleted in 3 weeks. Not too happy about that.

google buy out confirmed

Google, the gift that keeps on giving

Google already getting there fingers sticky I see.

This kills the Twitch.

And of course we all called this the moment someone mentioned a google buyout.

Where Google could be using this as an opportunity to increase discoverability and lead potential customers to purchases that they could generated revenue from, they're running the opposite direction.

Why not display advertising links to purchase the music? Google has their own music service now, so it seems silly. If they can match and identify audio, surely they could develop a platform to send customers to a purchase page if they so chose.

Absolutely bizarre. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

The Google-take over is real.

It's only the beginning, they'll start banning "Unauthorized Audio" during live streaming soon.

Remember when people said Google wouldn't try to do this exact thing?

God damn, I was one of them. What exactly are you trying to do here? How does this benefit you, the viewers, or the service in any way?

So its happening? ggwp twitch

Cant wait to log in with my google+ account....

Fucking Google.

Remember the good old days when Google's motto was "don't be evil"and everyone loved them? Yeah, those days aren't coming back...

Google circa 2008: "Don't be evil"

Google circa 2014: "Fuck you, I'm eating"

Google started following me on Twitter after I talked about Twitch's archives.
https://twitter.com/thesabin/followers

1gMlRCw.png

I seriously hate them for good now. Their world domination on everything is starting to bother me now...

Google spent billions to fuck up things we like. Dam the evil corporations!

FUCK YOU TWITCH AND GOOGLE

At least, we are protecting the rights of recording executives who swindle artists out of their publishing. Those old guys are being victimized by 12-year old Twitch streamers. Welcome your new Google corporate overlords.

Well this is just wonderful. Great. Amazing. Thanks Google.

Oh for fucks sake.

I guess I should have seen this coming after the Google acquisition, but sometimes you forget how stupid google and Youtube can be when it comes to this shit.

Hahaha to all the people that said this wouldn't happen.

"No, they will not change anything."

"Nah, you're paranoid."

"Google knows how to keep Twitch making money."

Well, there's your answer. RIP in pieces Twitch.

Mad at Google for the monopolistic buyout, mad at the music industry for shitty practices, and mad at Twitch for the terrible implementation.

Man this is terrible.

Also Lol@Twitch official VODs getting hit.

How long before they want me to sync my favorites with my non-existant google+ contacts?

And that's just the first ten pages.....

Vibranium

Banned
Ok, I'm good with Amazon as long as they don't force Prime into anything. Use it for added features, but don't take anything away.

At least no Google+ now.

To be fair though, the Google buyout was pretty much reported as fact, not rumor. They fucked up at the table.

And they still implemented that to get bought out, so basically switch out Google for whoever buys them in the end

It was a rumour, never confirmed by either party. That said I'll happily eat crow if the WSJ are wrong and it's Google buying them after all. I just thought the Google outrage was hilarious, it's a classic case of confirmation bias in action.

It was a rumour, never confirmed by either party. That said I'll happily eat crow if the WSJ are wrong and it's Google buying them after all. I just thought the Google outrage was hilarious, it's a classic case of confirmation bias in action.

Of course it was never confirmed, that's how shit like this works. That being said, something like this happened with Apple/Beats earlier, and that ended up working out. They probably either got a better offer from Amazon or Google fucked up.

massoluk

Banned
Amazon really has been pretty hands-off with its acquisition, moreso than Google. So I expect Twitch to stay as it is, both the good and the bad.

Tripon

Twitch streamers will now get paid through Amazon Payments, most likely. As someone who uses Amazon Payments, it's smart for Amazon. You're more likely to spend your money in your Amazon wallet on Amazon goods. It has, I believe, a $20 minimum withdraw (to a bank account), so many small streamers may be more inclined to buy something on Amazon if they have $5-$20 in their account.

Win for Amazon. Plus links to buy the game on Amazon on the streamer's page. Plus perhaps a partnership program where 3-5% of the profits from sales go to the streamer.

Makes total sense.

Amazon Payments is way better than Paypal.

It doesn't matter who caused it, these people you quoted in that shame wall would have been unhappy either way. Thats not confirmation bias, especially since its still believed that they only implemented those systems to make their portfolio more attractive. I don't even know why you went and pulled all those posts. Kinda embarrassing to be honest.

Of course it was never confirmed, that's how shit like this works. That being said, something like this happened with Apple/Beats earlier, and that ended up working out. They probably either got a better offer from Amazon or Google fucked up.

Actually the general idea with rumours is to play it cool and wait for it to be confirmed before getting salty. Or at least I would think that would be the sensible approach to take..

Thanks, Obama

It doesn't matter who caused it, these people you quoted in that shame wall would have been unhappy either way. Thats not confirmation bias, especially since its still believed that they only implemented those systems to make their portfolio more attractive. I don't even know why you went and pulled all those posts. Kinda embarrassing to be honest.

No, it's just a bit of fun. GAF outrage always makes me giggle when it turns out to be hilariously wrong.

Actually the general idea with rumours is to play it cool and wait for it to be confirmed before getting salty. Or at least I would think that would be the sensible approach to take..

Thanks, Obama

You sure about that? Because I remember the Google buying Twitch articles. Very few were presented as rumors, moreso 'they're finalizing things now'. Look at that Dean butthead!

Or, you know, this exact thread where people are surprised because they thought Google already bought them. That's not on us, that's on whoever wrote those articles.

jersoc

honestly i rather have amazon over google. just look at the fucking state of youtube. maybe we'll get html5 instead of flash then too.

Top Bottom