• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
SL2Fa.png

0066_v9tk.gif

Tuck

Been hoping silver would come to iPhone for a while now.

The only thing they should have changed (but didn't) is the list headings. They don't mesh well anymore.

OS 11 will come probably in 2013 or 14, and will at that point be a fusion between iPad iOS and Mac OS. [/url]

No. It's hilarious that people think this. But no.

Apple isn't doing the Windows 8 thing, and that is abundantly clear. They are building a good personal-computer OS for personal computers and a good locked-down portable OS for locked-down portables. That they have influence on each other is not evidence that they are becoming the same operating system.

expectations:

new MB Pros

Mountain lion release date and demo

iOS 6 reveal, release window and demo

HOPES for: new, faster and streamlined itunes 11 that blows heads off moreso than even the maps app.

I dunno about iTunes 11, though I hope for it as well, but I'm currently of the strong suspicion that we might see a huge amount of the Mac line updated all at this event - maybe all of it at once. EVERYTHING is due for an update, and it'd be neat to see Apple transition to a biannual update model in which Mac models (maybe all of them but the Mac Pro, since new Xeon processors don't come that often) would get updated once in June and once in January.

I think we're likely, though, to see iLife and iWork updates; iWork's current iCloud integration is seriously half-assed compared to the way the iOS apps handle it, and that needs a real update. And iPhoto for iOS currently has better editing tools than iPhoto for OS X.

So yeah, my prediction would be:

-new iMac, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air, possibly new Mac mini and Mac Pro, thanks to the new Ivy Bridge chipset and the new Xeon chips that came out in April. Retina display, IGZO and so forth.

-iOS 6 reveal, feature overview. Siri on the 'new iPad.' 3D mapping, free turn-by-turn (if it's not at WWDC, it'll be exclusive to the next iPhone model), UI overhaul, Siri out of beta and given some new features and services.

-Some new Mountain Lion features, mostly having to do with tighter integration with iOS devices running iOS 6 (i.e. mostly having to do with the next wave of iCloud). Possible Siri and/or dictation support; if it's there, it'll likely be exclusive to the new Macs getting announced at the event. Release date for Mountain Lion announced.

-iWork '12, with vastly improved iCloud integration.

-iLife '12, brought up to speed with the iOS versions of the apps where applicable.

-Major new awesome iCloud features.

I think iTunes 11 is possible (we're currently at 10.6.1, IIRC), but we *did* just get 64-bit iTunes pretty recently, remember. A full rewrite probably isn't in the cards, as nice as it'd be.

giga

BGR has learned from a trusted source that Apple is planning to demonstrate a brand new version of the Apple TV operating system next week at WWDC. This new OS is said to be much more feature-complete than the current OS that runs on the Apple TV, and is apparently the one that Apple’s upcoming HDTV will run. Yes, that one.

We’ve heard Apple is actively trying to court manufacturers to use a new “control out” API in order for third-party manufacturers to make accessories that are compatible with the new Apple TV OS and the upcoming “iTV.” It’s said that by using the API, it will be possible to control any connected components all from the Apple remote (and the Apple remote iOS app as well, we’re assuming).

This would be a huge change in the home theater landscape, which has until this point relied on a mess of thousands of infrared codes and physical cables in order for devices to be interoperable, or Wi-Fi-controlled apps for each component and piece of hardware.

The control out API is said to work with all aspects of various popular components, even allowing control over things like program guides on a cable operators’ set top boxes and other hardware components.

Our source believes Apple won’t actually show its physical TV at WWDC, but it’s certainly possible. Maybe Tim Cook and Apple are finally almost done “pulling that string.”

BGR, so take with a grain: http://www.bgr.com/2012/05/30/apple-itv-os-demo-wwdc/

sikkinixx

I wonder if they will just speed bump the Air's and Mac Mini/Pro before the keynote? No need to waste time talking about them.

LCfiner

When do iOS updates get released? Can't remember the last few.

you mean the major release? iOS 5 was in October (used to be summer for the previous releases) and we’re expecting something similar for iOS 6 since the reveal will almost certainly be at WWDC.

LCfiner

I'm ready to shell out a dollar or two to get my UDID onto a developer's list so I can run the betas! :)

I did that for iOS 5. it was too tempting to fix the notifications and get wireless syncing early.

I wonder if iOS 6 will have enough major changes to get me to go through that whole thing again...

If maps and a new UI colour are the biggest items, I’ll just hold out for the official release.

I did that for iOS 5. it was too tempting to fix the notifications and get wireless syncing early.

I wonder if iOS 6 will have enough major changes to get me to go through that whole thing again...

If maps and a new UI colour are the biggest items, I’ll just hold out for the official release.

Well, true, I may want to jailbreak for the summer instead.

Vyer

Lol. I wonder how quickly Google pushed that event forward.

And that certainly seems like even more confirmation of Apple moving on, not that it wasn't pretty much confirmed already.

numble

I'm pumped for Monday, when 9to5mac will surely reveal more leaks.

I will be in a plane flying across the Pacific when the WWDC keynote occurs. I guess I'll try to go direct to video instead of read old liveblogs when I get the chance after I land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom