• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC15 Thread of iOS 9, Mac OS X 10.11 & watchOS: The epicenter of change.

Sean

Banned
Exactly.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/30/wwdc-...d-os-x-10-10-fresh-hardware-plus-new-details/

They had this last year, which is a pretty thorough roundup not unlike they have up right now. Yet do you see anything about Continuity? What about Swift, is it documented in there? Those were far and away the most important points of the keynote last year.

I'm not expecting anything of that magnitude if that promised focus on quality is to come true, but I would bet they again have something unexpected to show us.

Fair point. I hope Apple managed to keep something under wraps again.

It seemed like Apple TV was going to be the big "new thing" but that's been pushed back supposedly. WatchOS is probably too new to see a big revision just yet (aside from native app SDK) and from the rumors iOS9/OSX seem like smaller scale releases. I kinda fear this will be primarily an Apple Music event. Hope I'm wrong.

Crossing my fingers that the dual view/iPad Pro thing is true. I know it was there last year but still...

I've still got concerns about how that would even be possible to implement, given the way that iOS is so heavily reliant on swipe-from-the-edge gestures. When you swipe across the edge between apps, would it register in both? Only in the one where you started? Only in the one where you ended? Very tricky to design around it either way. It'd be doable with a sort of demilitarized zone/onscreen 'bezel' but that'd be unattractive.

For other reasons I also kinda think it's just a bad idea in general and that the single-full-screen thing is a really great and compelling design restraint, but maybe that's just me.

Garou

Here's a realistic prediction: New AirPort Express with ac-antennas, new TimeCapsules with 3TB and 4TB.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've still got concerns about how that would even be possible to implement, given the way that iOS is so heavily reliant on swipe-from-the-edge gestures. When you swipe across the edge between apps, would it register in both? Only in the one where you started? Only in the one where you ended? Very tricky to design around it either way. It'd be doable with a sort of demilitarized zone/onscreen 'bezel' but that'd be unattractive.

For other reasons I also kinda think it's just a bad idea in general and that the single-full-screen thing is a really great and compelling design restraint, but maybe that's just me.
This is most likely the reason it's taking so long. We know they're working on it, but they won't release the feature until it works the Apple way. No half measures. We can hope it'll be this year, but if it's not, I wouldn't be surprised.

Either way, I guess I should go to sleep now so I can get up to watch.

Iacobellis

I sure hope we get headless iMacs and an updated iPod Classic.

Headless iMac? And I think at this point, the iPod Classic dream is dead. In fact, the entire iPad brand is on the way out. Massive local storage for music appeals to a niche market nowadays in a world where we are accustom to pocket computers that can do more, including streaming our music.

Personally, when I hear the word iPod, I think more of the impact it made last decade, as opposed to the incremental upgrades we saw in the last five years. It's very telling when the last time the iPod Touch was comparable to the iPhone was in 2010, and even then it had a cheaper display, half the RAM, and so-so cameras.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Headless iMac? And I think at this point, the iPod Classic dream is dead. In fact, the entire iPad brand is on the way out. Massive local storage for music appeals to a niche market nowadays in a world where we are accustom to pocket computers that can do more, including streaming our music.

Personally, when I hear the word iPod, I think more of the impact it made last decade, as opposed to the incremental upgrades we saw in the last five years. It's very telling when the last time the iPod Touch was comparable to the iPhone was in 2010, and even then it had a cheaper display, half the RAM, and so-so cameras.
I think it was a joke from around 2005 when iPods were still en vogue and the Mac mini hadn't been released yet.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Ha, I was regurgitating an old joke, I'm not expecting any hardware as WWDC is pretty much software focused, but you never know, the TV may make a showing after all. I'm most looking forward to any watch software news.

Iacobellis

Ha, I was regurgitating an old joke, I'm not expecting any hardware as WWDC is pretty much software focused, but you never know, the TV may make a showing after all. I'm most looking forward to any watch software news.

I'm not sure if they will be able to fit in the Apple TV with what else is planned. I feel they might give it a bit more time and announce it in September/October with new iDevices.

Juice

I'm en route to San Francisco now for AltConf. Can't wait.

Looking forward to Snow Leopardesque OS X El Cap and iOS 9

Enco

1. Default apps
2. Customisable control center (w/ 3G toggle)
3. True background apps. Background refresh is pretty much useless

That's what I would love. Default apps would make this the perfect OS for me.

pronk420

my prediction is that multitasking won't just be existing apps running in a smaller screen space. the main app will be scaled down and run normally (like reachability) and they will have special versions of apps that can run in the remaining spaces left on the screen.

they will be cut down versions of apps that can still access all of the main app's data but use less memory, kind of like how some apps now come with widgets or watch apps, some apps will come with multitasking 'mini' apps.

only weird thing about that is that scaling down an app and keeping the aspect ratio will mean there is an L shaped space on the screen to put the other stuff in. but two long thin apps or one L shaped app could fit in that.

Enco

I can't see default apps ever happening.
It's probably not going to happen but with iOS 8 Apple seem to be opening things up a bit.

Who knows. We got sharing and extensions. Default apps aren't too much of a jump.

Would be so so good though.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to iTunes Match now.
I hope rather than dropping it they roll it into iCloud so one flat fee could cover all of your photos and songs in the cloud.
It's a little inelegant paying a monthly fee for photo storage and a separate yearly fee for music storage.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to iTunes Match now.
I hope rather than dropping it they roll it into iCloud so one flat fee could cover all of your photos and songs in the cloud.
It's a little inelegant paying a monthly fee for photo storage and a separate yearly fee for music storage.

Of more interest is whether Apple Music will have an offline mode like Spotify.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
WWDC jackets leave little doubt about Apple’s adoption of San Francisco system font

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/08/wwdc-jacket-san-francisco-font/

The jackets Apple is handing out to WWDC attendees appear to leave little doubt about our exclusive report that the company plans to adopt San Francisco as the new system font in iOS and OS X. As one of our readers tweeted, Apple has used San Francisco for the jacket lettering. It also appears that the badges use the font as shown above.

wwdc-2015-jacket.jpg

label.jpg

I was talking about the future of iPods last night. I was saying how Apple should make one final iPod that blends all the features of the old ones together. Make it large capacity like the Classic, 128 to 250GB-ish, make it small and slim like the nano, and keep the features of the touch (essentially a mini-iPhone without the phone/data.

While it seems like a nice idea, I then thought, what's the point. Who is this aimed at? Most teens/adults have a phone that can do all those things, and if not then it's more than likely they'd benefit from the extra features of something like an iPad. Failing that, all's that's left are kids, which in my experience probably have a fucking smartphone as well these days. (I shit you not, I was in McDonalds the other day and saw a pair of kids, siblings I presume, playing on an iPad EACH, earphones plugged in and all, smh).

TLDR; The sadistic side of me wants to see Apple nuke the iPod range today

ramyeon

WWDC never fails to get me hyped. Still trying to work out whether I should stay awake for it or set my alarm to wake up at 3AM to watch it...

Ninja Dom

Three months free trial, suggestion for everyone who upgrades to iOS 9. I think they can do it easily.

Do you think the rumour that iOS 9 will work with legacy iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd Gen and iPod Touch 5th Gen is so that they can roll out Apple Music to potentially more people?

HUELEN10

One final wish for hardware; I hope they announce a NEW Magic Trackpad for us desktop gals with force touch.

I... Don't want to be left out. Power to the desktop!

Treefrog

One final wish for hardware; I hope they announce a NEW Magic Trackpad for us desktop gals with force touch.

I... Don't want to be left out. Power to the desktop!

Oh yes! I've been waiting for updates to any of the desktop accessories. I'm still a fan of the magic mouse. Any excuse to upgrade would be great.

DOWN

Banned
how many does spotify have?
Supposedly around 45 million unpaid, 15 million paid. Apple hopes to only do paid users, but they have the advantage of having every iOS device and the already going Beats Music. 100 mil still seems high though.

I hope there's a new Apple TV announced but if there isn't, a question, will the Gen 3 ver suffice? All I want to use it for is to sling my music onto the tv. I guess I could pull out my stereo receiver and set that up but at this point that would be inconvenient.

The 3rd gen Apple TV does that fine. It's also $69. Also confirmed that it will be the 'hub' for home kit. Still life left in that device. New Apple TV might not be released until the fall.

how many does spotify have?

Out of their 60 million users, 15 million are paid subscribers. Of those 15 million, about 3-4 million are U.S. users. Not sure how many of those are just using the $4.99 student discount or the current 99 cent / 3 months promotion. The leader of the streaming music industry, but not unbeatable. Looks like the free tier is the preference for most.

Google Now and the semantic Google Search stuff are great, yeah, but the Apple Watch is finally a hardware product that gives Apple a genuine incentive to git gud at proactive information display (as well as voice-based interaction, for that matter) as the primary way of interacting with something.

I love using Siri and turn by turn on my apple watch, apple now has to dramatically improve those services because now users have no other option but to use them

kaskade

Three months seems like a good trial length for the music service. It's long enough that people could get used to it and just stick with it. It'd be even better if they offered some plan like if you continue after that initial trial you get the service for like 7 or 8 bucks a month vs 10.

Pretty sure Google did that when they launched Google Music.

Top Bottom