• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k14 |OT| 30 Years of Wrestlemania, 10 Years of Here Comes The Pain

sajj316

wwf-smackdown.jpg

Who knew one simple game would bring so many years of misery?

:(

ain't that the damn truth .. still re-using the same jerky animations ..

Branson

So I can't find any good comparisons on 360vsps3 for these games. I've gotten 11-13 on 360 and it's been fine for the most part but my live ran out. Considering ps3 version. Is there still a caw layer limit issue on ps3?

And I don't know why the fuck I buy these but I like universe mode and CAWs.

So I can't find any good comparisons on 360vsps3 for these games. I've gotten 11-13 on 360 and it's been fine for the most part but my live ran out. Considering ps3 version. Is there still a caw layer limit issue on ps3?

And I don't know why the fuck I buy these but I like universe mode and CAWs.

360 version is usually better. Last one I got for PS3 was SVR 2011 and it had some major bugs like the stage disappearing in the background that were never addressed.

The graphics are usually a bit sharper and brighter on 360 as well.

That said, I'm getting 2K14 for PS3 because I'm retiring the 360 to make space for PS4.

Giard

Will this one keep erasing my CAWs over and over? Will the servers be up for more than 10 minutes at a time?

wwf-smackdown.jpg

Who knew one simple game would bring so many years of misery?

:(

Original Smackdown and the next few that came after it were awesome games though... right? Or am I just out of it?

I remember being so impressed with Smackdown's animation style after the Acclaim wrestling games on PSX were such crap in retrospect.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Original Smackdown and the next few that came after it were awesome games though... right? Or am I just out of it?

I remember being so impressed with Smackdown's animation style after the Acclaim wrestling games on PSX were such crap in retrospect.

There were definitely some good years. Here Comes the Pain is among the great wrestling games IMO.

Still, I might rent this just because I'm bored waiting for next gen launches.

SKINNER!

Banned

WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role was the pinnacle of wrestling games on the PSone. Inferior to WWF No Mercy on the N64 though.

dcx4610

10 years of the same Yukes engine.

I can't believe 2k kept Yukes when the acquired the license. The moment 2K takes the WWE license as seriously as NBA, then I'll take a look.

CookTrain

I can't believe 2k kept Yukes when the acquired the license. The moment 2K takes the WWE license as seriously as NBA, then I'll take a look.

I can only sleep at night believing that since Yukes had already grumbled through the death throes of THQ and had some work in the bag, 2K let them have one final hurrah for a simple transition instead of rushing out a whole new everything in a short development cycle...

... 2K have to have someone else lined up, working on a shiny, spiffy, new, non-Yukes WWE game for next gen, right?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Yukes had already started on 2k14 before THQ went under. If they don't switch in next year, we're stuck with Yukes for another generation.

dubq

There was no choice. The game was already at the mid-point of development. The last thing they want to do is to lose money on a license they just bought.

That said, as much as everyone bitches about these games, they are still guaranteed sellers. 2K sees that as profit and is less likely to dump Yukes that we'd like to think.

Stuart444

I don't know why but I'm considering getting this now, I told myself I wouldn't but damn it :(.

Hopefully next year (the first full game under 2Ks watch I think) will be better. At the very least, the graphics will look better so I'm not bursting out laughing whenever "The King" talks about how realistic the game is and how it looks just like real life.

I never fail to burst out laughing when he promotes/hype the game.

The new menus and overlays help the presentation of the game not look so dated. So good improvement by 2K there. Also Wrestlemania mode, like Attitude era before it is pretty fun so far. Gameplay is still shit though. Horrible selling by the computer opponent and they typically don't sell anything you do for very long. It also seems like they can string much longer times of offense together on you compared to what you can do to the ai without them reversing and going on another lengthy round of domination on your ass. Once I beat Wrestlemania mode I can't see myself playing this much more.

I know they've ripped out the old code for the announcer (Justin Roberts?) because it was a buggy mess and replaced it with totally new code so he can announce things properly, so it's possible they've done the same for other parts of the game as well.

All the same glitches are still there. I was just fighting the Rock with HHH and HHH just kept trying to grapple the side of the ring over and over again even though I was inside the ring. Also trying to do old school with Undertaker earlier Undertaker couldn't decide on a corner and just kept holding on to his opponent's arm walking around.

Kaladin

All the same glitches are still there. I was just fighting the Rock with HHH and HHH just kept trying to grapple the side of the ring over and over again even though I was inside the ring. Also trying to do old school with Undertaker earlier Undertaker couldn't decide on a corner and just kept holding on to his opponent's arm walking around.

iWqH5OD0PIXL0.gif

THQuality never dies

dubq

The new menus and overlays help the presentation of the game not look so dated. So good improvement by 2K there. Also Wrestlemania mode, like Attitude era before it is pretty fun so far. Gameplay is still shit though. Horrible selling by the computer opponent and they typically don't sell anything you do for very long. It also seems like they can string much longer times of offense together on you compared to what you can do to the ai without them reversing and going on another lengthy round of domination on your ass. Once I beat Wrestlemania mode I can't see myself playing this much more.

What are your slider/difficulty settings?

Just beat Wrestlemania mode. The matches earlier on through the attitude era were all really nice and I had some pretty big nostalgia, but they really didn't give enough time to those eras and instead spent too much time on the more current stuff.

-edit- WTF do they not have Paul Bearer with the black hair and makeup?

Just beat Wrestlemania mode. The matches earlier on through the attitude era were all really nice and I had some pretty big nostalgia, but they really didn't give enough time to those eras and instead spent too much time on the more current stuff.

-edit- WTF do they not have Paul Bearer with the black hair and makeup?
And Steph comes out in her wrestling gear with Jericho.

Also no Ken Shamrock in the Austin-Bret match. They couldn't just copy him over from WWE 13 and put him in a ref shirt?

I'm playing on easy. It's too much of a reversal fest on other settings. Don't know what the slider settings are set at.
You can specifically change the reversal settings without changing the difficulty.
Options > Gameplay > Match Options (take some time to explore all the settings here) > Balancing > A.I. Reversals

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's amazing how great SvR 2007 looked graphically, and how far worse these games look. What happened? Did the budget get cut to that great of an extent?

It's amazing how great SvR 2007 looked graphically, and how far worse these games look. What happened? Did the budget get cut to that great of an extent?
I don't know but I can't wait for next year's game. If it looks this bad on next gen consoles then there is no hope.

Top Bottom